Author Topic: Crossbows and the Return of FPS  (Read 16138 times)

Offline IG_Saint

• Count
  • Renown: 196
  • Infamy: 20
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: IG
Re: Crossbows and the Return of FPS
« Reply #150 on: March 26, 2011, 12:13:02 pm »
My 2h alt and my polearm alt both have 2 shield skill and use that big old board shield. That provides excellent protection against ranged. No need to go 4 shield unless you are a 1h.

bit off topic, but I'm curious, how many people know about the bug that lets you shoot through the board shield from the front?

Offline Vexus

• Count
  • Renown: 198
  • Infamy: 41
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Deus_Mortis
« Reply #151 on: March 26, 2011, 12:17:29 pm »
Not exactly a bug but the player holds the shield bad you always have your foot exposed if you move your shield down when infact it should protect your feet.

Offline IG_Saint

• Count
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 26, 2011, 12:19:49 pm »
Not exactly a bug but the player holds the shield bad you always have your foot exposed if you move your shield down when infact it should protect your feet.

I don't mean shooting under or over the shield, I'm talking about shooting through it. If you don't know what I'm talking about good, I have alts that use board shields  :D

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #153 on: March 26, 2011, 12:21:50 pm »
I don't mean shooting under or over the shield, I'm talking about shooting through it. If you don't know what I'm talking about good, I have alts that use board shields  :D

Are you talking about bolt penetration in general?
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline Elmetiacos

• Count
  • Renown: 175
  • Infamy: 45
  • cRPG Player
  • You've probably teamkilled me
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Hot_Chick_with_a_Sword, Dark_Rose_Knight
« Reply #154 on: March 26, 2011, 01:05:53 pm »
...Set up a nice ambush somewhere. Try to get a safe area to fight by positioning your own ranged teammates and sticking with them. Or fight somewhere where you have good cover.

And most important of all: get a good shield and high athletics. My main character, a 1h + shield cavalry guy with high althletics and a huscarl shield on his back for on foot does fine against three archers. Flank. Don't let yourself get outmaneuvered. And keep up that shield...
Yes, exactly. This is what I mean about the game becoming distorted by the volume of fire. It's forcing a particular build and style on those of us who don't pick up crossbows ourselves.
The word is "anyway" not "anyways". You are not Gabby Hayes.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Memento_Mori

• Count
  • Renown: 187
  • Infamy: 32
  • cRPG Player
  • I use these forums to hook up with hot ladies
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Memento_Mori, Sengo_Muramasa, Born_Of_Osiris,
« Reply #155 on: March 26, 2011, 01:23:04 pm »
imo, Suck it up or adapt
coming from a proud foot infantry that does not use a shield.

We all hate ranged , even ranged hates ranged but we need range or this game becomes one stale piece of rushing into mobs left clicking furiously without any tactic or thought about what you're even doing.

Of course that's what the majority of players do anyway.. No wonder the c-rpg community is having such troubles with ranged.
really now, stop whining play the game have fun.

Offline Noble Crassius

• Noble
  • Renown: 12
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • Long live the Han
    • View Profile
    • http://rotk.ws/
  • Faction: Han Empire
  • Game nicks: Han_Ling, SiegeSome, Fallen_Knight
« Reply #156 on: March 26, 2011, 02:04:25 pm »
Bolt penetration isn't a glitch it's part of the game.
On it.

Offline Darkkarma

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 106
  • cRPG Player
  • Slow your roll
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: DarkKarma
« Reply #157 on: March 26, 2011, 02:40:41 pm »
Yes, exactly. This is what I mean about the game becoming distorted by the volume of fire. It's forcing a particular build and style on those of us who don't pick up crossbows ourselves.

You can say this about every build. You don't play into a certain playstyle's/build's strength if you're a certain build that doesn't match up well against it in given scenarios. For example, you won't see me with a great long bardiche or swiss halberd fighting a sword and board fighter in a tunnel,stairway or any kind of close quarters area that those kind of play styles thrive in if I can help it. The same way you won't see me rush at an archer wide out in the open with 20 feet of distance between us if I don't have a shield that can provide the proper protection. If i'm in a map that is largely close quarters, then it is my job as a build with that disadvantage to suck it up and try to adjust/overcome that obstacle.  It sucks when you're in a situation that doesn't suit your playstyle, but that's how it goes alot of the time. We shouldn't nerf an entire playstyle because of it/because it is popular with flavor of the month players.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 01:04:37 am by Darkkarma »
This community hurts my brains, a lot.

Offline Thucydides

• Baron
  • Renown: 129
  • Infamy: 28
  • cRPG Player
  • I shat Uranus
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Thucydides
« Reply #158 on: March 26, 2011, 02:56:10 pm »
I was pissed about range for a while, but then i put one skill point into shield and bought an old board shield.

Offline Beauchamp

• Earl
  • Renown: 427
  • Infamy: 79
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
    • Personal portfolio
« Reply #159 on: March 26, 2011, 02:57:26 pm »
The wpf requirements on weapons would solve that problem. Alternatively make upkeep cost scale with wpf for weapons and maybe IF for armours (just to give IF some love). That would be pretty realistic, in that an inexperienced guy doesn't know how to care for his weapon/armour and it would solve the sidearm problem, since less people would use them because of the price.

i like the idea (it could go to all the weapons including armor, horses etc... not only to xbows)

i even think this deserves a special thread
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 02:59:22 pm by Beauchamp »
OOODDIIINVALHALLAAAAAAA on the 20th of April 2011: What I know is that... heh, eh ja how can I explain? ...deh feeling to believe in Odin is right, dat is what I say, ja?!

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #160 on: March 26, 2011, 03:27:45 pm »
i like the idea (it could go to all the weapons including armor, horses etc... not only to xbows)

i even think this deserves a special thread

Agreed, good idea there. It rewards specialization.

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Zisa

• Count
  • Renown: 272
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: I am not at liberty to say.
« Reply #161 on: March 26, 2011, 06:40:06 pm »
Increasing wpf requirements.. not convinced that will sove the problem, merely make people re-arrange their builds. So esssentially you will have some give up the 'easy' mode, and those who allready put wpf in will be unchanged.
Alas nodachi
remembers glorious spring
a tin can's hatchet.
http://www.moddb.com/members/psychotropicdog

Offline IG_Saint

• Count
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: March 26, 2011, 11:06:55 pm »
Bolt penetration isn't a glitch it's part of the game.

I'm not talking about bolt penetration, I'm talking about shooting through a specific spot on the board shields. I haven't actually tested this in cRPG, only in native, it just came to mind after spending a couple of rounds fighting a guy with a board shield. However since nobody has any idea what I'm talking about it's not really a problem.

Offline Nemeth

• Knight
  • Renown: 34
  • Infamy: 6
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Nemeth
  • IRC nick: Nemeth
« Reply #163 on: March 26, 2011, 11:46:09 pm »
I'm not talking about bolt penetration, I'm talking about shooting through a specific spot on the board shields. I haven't actually tested this in cRPG, only in native, it just came to mind after spending a couple of rounds fighting a guy with a board shield. However since nobody has any idea what I'm talking about it's not really a problem.

You can shoot through the low shield level board shields. With low shield skill, the "force field" around the shield does not actually cover the whole model of board shields. I've shot many people in their foor through old board shields in the past. It's not a bug per se, just a design flaw when the nerf of force field happened I guess.

Offline Gnjus

• King
  • Renown: 1831
  • Infamy: 397
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Siktir git, pislik okçu.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Turklings
« Reply #164 on: March 27, 2011, 03:07:18 am »
imo, Suck it up or adapt
coming from a proud foot infantry that does not use a shield.

We all hate ranged , even ranged hates ranged but we need range or this game becomes one stale piece of rushing into mobs left clicking furiously without any tactic or thought about what you're even doing.

Of course that's what the majority of players do anyway.. No wonder the c-rpg community is having such troubles with ranged.
really now, stop whining play the game have fun.

You obviously missed the subforum mate....this is the cRPG general discussion.....and you obviously never played this mod cause if you had you'd never post such crap in your lifetime..........i'll just focus on the bolded part: please enlighten us how does one have any fun by getting himself shot by dozens of missiles before being able to perform any "actions" at all ? You spawn, you start moving and then volleys of arrows/bolts/axes/javelins/jarids/etc start coming your way.......and even if you're lucky enough to survive all that shit (and you DO need an "irish" luck for it) then you get finished off by roof camping sons of bitches.......which part of it do you find to be "enjoyable" ? Please tell us so we can "enjoy" ourselves as well, kind sir.
Do you honestly think you have any sort of moral authority, Reyiz? Go genocide some more armenians and deny it ever happened, please, and stay in the middle east.