Author Topic: Lets make map makers realize we all dont have the best PCs  (Read 1966 times)

Offline Haze_The_Hobo

• Baron
  • Renown: 139
  • Infamy: 296
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Pantheon
  • Game nicks: Pantheon_Haze_The_Hobo Haze_Ze_PewPew
Re: Lets make map makers realize we all dont have the best PCs
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2012, 09:03:32 pm »
Not quite sure why you'd think that this thread should be in the suggestion forum when we have a perfectly good subforum that's specifically for Scene Editing.

Anyway, I've been on Full EU1 for a couple of these 'lagging' maps and most people, if any have no problems with them (well, besides general whining about it being an archer/inf/cav map that is). But, feel free to provide me a list with them over http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/topic,23740.0.html.

Swadian city i.e.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline _Tak_

• Earl
  • Renown: 459
  • Infamy: 195
  • cRPG Player
  • Retired Dev of FI2
    • View Profile
    • mod :D
  • Game nicks: LC
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2012, 09:21:35 pm »
Lagging map for most players : (Swadian town map (x2) , Ambushed, and maps with lots and lots of trees)

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2012, 09:21:50 pm »
+1
Well I think the game is an older style game, without really good graphics, so people on older pc's can play it.  I have a great PC and run at usually 150-300fps on most maps (varies).  the only time I drop is on strat battles and sometimes it drops to 30-50fps and feels like I'm running in sand. 

I think that the main thing that map makers need to realize is that all that pretty shit in the background has no strategic value to the map. 

I don't like that we have QMD and QMU in game, but they aren't used for anything.

If some maps have a super majority of down votes (like 3 or 4:1 no vs yes votes) they should just be removed without any questions asked.  And I miss playing some community maps.  Can't we "borrow" maps from other warband mods?  Is there actually copyrights on free mods?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 09:23:28 pm by CrazyCracka420 »
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2012, 09:55:36 pm »
In a game engine that is capable of handling 100+ players, maps SHOULD be performance tested and approved by the lowest common detonator or least some agreed upon average.  Many of the new maps are absolute trash because they are trying to be PRETTY at the sacrifice of performance for older computers.

Why do you think WoW & Valve games do so well?  They are designed to be able to run well on older machines.

Offline karasu

• King
  • Renown: 1751
  • Infamy: 316
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • D̶͎̳͒́͗͋ẹ͕̲̠̳̄̃͂ͤ͑ͮṃ̮͎̗̦̏̿͊ͤi̥̪̼͕ͦ̀̊̐ȗ̘rͩ͋̅̊gͭ̿̋
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2012, 10:17:23 pm »
   In case you haven't noticed, the only way to proper test a map is in fact putting into the rotation, otherwise gl getting 85+ players to help you test a map.

There are several variables that weight into the performance issue regarding this Game (read game, not mod), specially with such a "low/mediocre" net-coding from TW.

It's hard enough to the map maker to deal with such a limited editing system (for the love of god, it doesn't even have an "undo" feature ...) and limited amount of actually decent scene props to give us the best of both worlds.

As jacko said, I know of people with low machines, old stuff, dealing pretty well in maps like Swadian one, and if you enter edit mode you'll be in awe with the amount of details and props in usage there. A great job from mustikki indeed, one of my favorite.

Offline karasu

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2012, 10:22:05 pm »
I don't like that we have QMD and QMU in game, but they aren't used for anything.

It isn't used for anything due to the simple that it's so unreliable and easy to exploit. Anyone can get his friends to mass vote a map, or even a raging griever for losing, blaming the map, etc.

Offline LordSnow

• Knight
  • Renown: 57
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Saracens
  • Game nicks: Snow
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2012, 10:35:04 pm »
Here's  my config:

cor i5 2430m

win 7

gtx 560

6gig ram

It's a player laptop, i play on ultra on Bf 3 ( even on gulf of oman and other enormous and destructible map). Skyrim and the witcher 2 both on ultra with enb series. It handle everything, EXCEPT THIS CRAPPY WARBAND;

I run with medium settings on dx 9 ( hdr on high, aa x2, textures on 30 etc..) The game dont look like a ps1 game but..come on! I've an average of 120 fps on eu 1, but sometimes i fall to 70/80 fps on city map and siege map (thoses bridge and swadian maps are crappy as hell)

It's strange..
Damn. It's snowing again.

Offline engurrand

• Psychopath
  • Earl
  • Renown: 359
  • Infamy: 101
  • cRPG Player
  • Trifecta
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Kingdom of Veluca
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2012, 10:36:52 pm »
i want you all to know that in most fights my fps is around 15-20... and thats the high end...

Often in group times 5 fps..

get on my level.

Offline karasu

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2012, 10:38:03 pm »
You're all free to make maps, instead of complaining with those who make.  :rolleyes:

Offline Jacko

• OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 839
  • Infamy: 99
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fffnanguard!
  • Game nicks: Jacko
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2012, 11:48:00 pm »
+2
We will never go back to only those old maps WarLord. There are plenty of other servers to play on if your not satisfied. The rotations are a huge improvement since the early days of cRPG (when we basically only had native maps).

Lagging map for most players : (Swadian town map (x2) , Ambushed, and maps with lots and lots of trees)
Never see people complain about Ambushed (performance wise), which other swadian town map do you mean?

We actually don't know what causes lag. We THINK it is because of collision detection (IE stuff you can't move through). It MIGHT have to do with stuff being on top of each other as well (that lessened lag for people on The Canals of Our City when some of those props were removed). Light sources cause lag, as well as smoke (but you can turn that off yourself).

As karasu pointed out, we do testing live, it's really the only way. I suspect that many people that experience lag have poorly optimized drivers and probably just bad graphic settings for warband. I've suffered a performance hit since installing the latest Nvidia drivers, which might explain why some people with better computers are suffering as well.

QMD/QMU is pointless because not everyone is voting or vote because of class balance, clan allegiance whatever, not because the map is 'good' or not. It's too subjective to be used objectively (silly sentence).
Monkeys!

Offline Dooz

• Duke
  • Renown: 674
  • Infamy: 165
  • Horrible_Human
    • View Profile
    • Wasteland Fight Club
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2012, 02:43:02 am »
+1
I'dunno if it's obvious, but turning off vsync made a world of difference for me. With that I'm able to turn everything on max, even use higher res (presumably) graphics mods, at full speed with no hitches, other than ones I think might have more to do with servers at the beginning of a map for a second or so. And you really get used to the tearing that comes along with having vsync off to the point where you don't notice it pretty quickly. Worth the trade off to have swizzle graphics for me, might help people otherwise having slowdowns.

Offline obitus

• Earl
  • Renown: 486
  • Infamy: 58
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeAOv_H-hh0&hd=1
  • Faction: kings of kd
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2012, 04:01:52 am »
Guide to maximizing FPS and performance without hideous graphics!

http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php?topic=26417.0

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2012, 11:26:52 pm »
No. I just want to get those new maps removed. The old map circle was good.

The very best circly would be ruins, field by the river, ruined fort, and a few desert maps (not many trees yay). Would be much cooler than what we have now.

You can also put up an own server and have whatever map rotation you like.
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline _Tak_

• Earl
  • Renown: 459
  • Infamy: 195
  • cRPG Player
  • Retired Dev of FI2
    • View Profile
    • mod :D
  • Game nicks: LC
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2012, 11:42:02 pm »
Never see people complain about Ambushed (performance wise), which other swadian town map do you mean?

There are several people complain about ambushed on global chat few weeks ago i think, i think it's the object or scene props that cause all the lag. In plain maps I have no lag, in maps with some trees have no lag (Battle in ice.) I have little lag on Forest lake. Huge lag on Ambushed. I didn't get any lag on Swadian towns map but i heard some people say it cause lag. Trees is another major problem that can cause the lag, but not all. like if one map has over 150 trees it can sure cause some great lag. Like when you are looking at the trees you get little bit of lag, but then you look away from there and you don't get lag anymore. i did ok on forest lake, but i have no idea why on Ambushed i get massive lag, its just massive, which makes me can't block melee and attack.

Oh there are 2 swadian town map in the EU rotation: Riot in Swadia and Battle in Swadia. One map called Pitfall are the most balance map ever and the most funniest, it is playable for cav , infantry and places for ranged to camp. Infantry who cannot stand against cav and love infantry maps should actually go for siege instead of battle. There used to have some pretty nice maps on EU1 but now they are all gone...:(

Offline Tomas_of_Miles

• Count
  • Renown: 263
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player
  • Inactive
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Rusty mercenary siege engineer
  • Game nicks: Something with Tomas in it
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2012, 01:18:58 am »
I went Directx 7 today and it solved a lot of my problems.  :mrgreen: