Author Topic: So, only 4 PD over the Bow's difficulty actually does anything?  (Read 1264 times)

Offline FrugFrug

• Earl
  • Renown: 493
  • Infamy: 59
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: MB Mascot
  • Game nicks: FrugFrug Owl_Beard
I was going to do a 27/12 build with a short bow and bodkins, but then I saw that thing about PD in the Game mechanics thread.

Is it true only 4 PD does anything past the difficulty?

Offline Renten

• Knight
  • Renown: 36
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: So, only 4 PD over the Bow's difficulty actually does anything?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 08:29:32 pm »
I thought it was 3 past? Also I think 9 is the max that gives a bonus.  Getting 6 PD and enough wpf to accurately shoot at people on the other side of the map would be more effective than 9pd and the accuracy of someone with 0wpf in crossbow (which is quite well even for midrange shooting).

Offline MrShine

• Ragdoll Basher
  • King
  • Renown: 1156
  • Infamy: 193
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Fear the stache
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: MrShine
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 09:10:42 pm »
Unless they changed in without saying anything, yes, you only gain PD benefits up to +4 over the bow's difficulty.

So going anything more than 5 PD with a short bow would be useless.

I think they did this to prevent the lower difficulty bows from being too powerful... since each point into powerdraw gives +14% damage.

Oh also each point into PD requires 14 wpf, so 9 PD is about as high as you can realistically go as a level 30 archer...since 4 WM gives you ~140 wpf and PD 10 requires 140 wpf you'd have to be completely naked.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 09:17:10 pm by MrShine »
Holy crap I have a youtube gaming channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/MrShine12345

Offline Cup1d

• Count
  • Renown: 167
  • Infamy: 54
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercs
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 09:15:32 pm »
Getting 6 PD and enough wpf to accurately shoot at people on the other side of the map.

Best joke about archery today. You'll need level 40+ character for this amount wpf. Also our maps is bigger than maximum range for any bow. Sorry to dissapoint you.

Offline Miley

• Duke
  • Renown: 604
  • Infamy: 327
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 10:12:15 pm »
Unless they changed in without saying anything, yes, you only gain PD benefits up to +4 over the bow's difficulty.

So going anything more than 5 PD with a short bow would be useless.

I think they did this to prevent the lower difficulty bows from being too powerful... since each point into powerdraw gives +14% damage.

Oh also each point into PD requires 14 wpf, so 9 PD is about as high as you can realistically go as a level 30 archer...since 4 WM gives you ~140 wpf and PD 10 requires 140 wpf you'd have to be completely naked.

This isn't new; it's been this way since old cRPG. I remember I had 10 Power Draw and John_RS told me not to get 11 Power Draw because it didn't go past +4 the bow's difficulty. That's when I started getting more than 9 agility.

Offline ammeron

• Peasant
  • Renown: 5
  • Infamy: 5
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Warkittenz
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 06:54:36 am »
yes the actual formula that calculates ur power draw is (min(power draw / bow difficulty +4))  witch means it takes witchever of those two values is lower. soo lets say u have 11 power draw, so it would take the min(11 power draw / bow +4) so if u were using a rus / long bow witch is the highest 6 power draw requirement that would give u min (11 power draw / 10) witch means it would use the lower value, witch is 10 because thats as high as possible. the same would apply for a short bow witch max power draw would be 5, after that it would use the other value not ur power draw.  u also have to take into account effective wpf, as has been stated each level of power draw needs 14 wpf in order to be effective. so even if u have 10 power draw, u need a MINIMUM of 140 wpf to make it effective. so currently at lvl 30, u can go 30/12 with 10 power draw, 4 weapon master, buut..... that gives u 139 wpf in archery... meaning u only have 9 effective pd meaning .... u that 1 power draw is literally doing nothing. now power draw also reduces ur effective wpf as i stated, and ur effective wpf is used to calculate ur overall damage as well. having 10 power draw and only 140 wpf will reduce ur effective wpf to almost nothing, and it will end up giving you about a 15% damage penalty... so getting this much power draw isnt remotely worth it for the mediocre accuracy as well. honestly going over 7 power draw isnt worth it, period, i've done the math. idk why i just explained this so in depth i doubt any of u care, but im bored as fuck and i can just link this when some rtard talks about lvl 30 10 power draw haharhar i hit hard.

Offline Miley

• Duke
  • Renown: 604
  • Infamy: 327
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 07:06:14 am »
yes the actual formula that calculates ur power draw is (min(power draw / bow difficulty +4))  witch means it takes witchever of those two values is lower. soo lets say u have 11 power draw, so it would take the min(11 power draw / bow +4) so if u were using a rus / long bow witch is the highest 6 power draw requirement that would give u min (11 power draw / 10) witch means it would use the lower value, witch is 10 because thats as high as possible. the same would apply for a short bow witch max power draw would be 5, after that it would use the other value not ur power draw.  u also have to take into account effective wpf, as has been stated each level of power draw needs 14 wpf in order to be effective. so even if u have 10 power draw, u need a MINIMUM of 140 wpf to make it effective. so currently at lvl 30, u can go 30/12 with 10 power draw, 4 weapon master, buut..... that gives u 139 wpf in archery... meaning u only have 9 effective pd meaning .... u that 1 power draw is literally doing nothing. now power draw also reduces ur effective wpf as i stated, and ur effective wpf is used to calculate ur overall damage as well. having 10 power draw and only 140 wpf will reduce ur effective wpf to almost nothing, and it will end up giving you about a 15% damage penalty... so getting this much power draw isnt remotely worth it for the mediocre accuracy as well. honestly going over 7 power draw isnt worth it, period, i've done the math. idk why i just explained this so in depth i doubt any of u care, but im bored as fuck and i can just link this when some rtard talks about lvl 30 10 power draw haharhar i hit hard.

Well Shik had like 10 PD, and I'm sure he knows more about archery than you do since he's a developer o.o (Not saying you're wrong)

What I know is, if you don't have enough WPF for your level of Power Draw, you can't pick the bow off the ground, but you may spawn with it. I have a Short Bow and 1 PD and 1 WPF; I can spawn with it.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 07:09:06 am by Miley »

Offline ammeron

• Peasant
  • Renown: 5
  • Infamy: 5
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Warkittenz
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2012, 07:42:36 am »
Well Shik had like 10 PD, and I'm sure he knows more about archery than you do since he's a developer o.o (Not saying you're wrong)

What I know is, if you don't have enough WPF for your level of Power Draw, you can't pick the bow off the ground, but you may spawn with it. I have a Short Bow and 1 PD and 1 WPF; I can spawn with it.

if im not mistaken ... its possible to go past lvl 30 in this game? meaning its possible to have 10 pd and .... 140+ wpf... im fairly certain i said its impossible to have 10pd .... at ... level ... 30
i went to 32 for 10pd also, until i did the math and realised its not at all worth it, and playing with that accuracy isnt very fun considering its only about 10 more damage than 6 power draw overall

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2012, 12:43:30 pm »
+1
real_shoot_speed = item_shoot_speed * sqrt(( min(power_draw, difficulty + 4) * 0.12) + 1.0) * 1.2     

damage = raw_damage * (min(power_draw, difficulty + 4) * 0.14 + 1)

Offline PanPan

• Baron
  • Renown: 98
  • Infamy: 70
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2012, 12:54:21 pm »
They probably only did this 'cause of ColdBlood back in the days with 14 PD. He literally 1hitted anything.

Offline Arrowblood

• Duke
  • Renown: 508
  • Infamy: 112
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Arrowblood
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2012, 12:57:16 pm »
 :lol:

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2012, 01:06:31 pm »
It's a Native mechanic.

Offline Byrdi

• Earl
  • Renown: 489
  • Infamy: 59
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Byrdi, Swiss Chocolate, and lots of other alts
  • IRC nick: Byrdi
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2012, 04:16:09 pm »
It's a Native mechanic.

It even said so in the explanation in single player character page... Bet its been like this since the original Mount and Blade.