Author Topic: Crouch and sprint  (Read 1479 times)

Offline Torp

• Knight
  • Renown: 66
  • Infamy: 12
  • cRPG Player
  • Do evil to others before they do evil to you
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Kenkyaku
  • IRC nick: Torp
Crouch and sprint
« on: March 13, 2011, 03:17:40 pm »
+1
these are two features, that i think we need in this game.

Now, i'm not into game mechanics and modding and stuff, so if this isn't possible, so be it. On the other hand, if it is possible, it should really be implented.

You should be able to crouch for as long as you want, so you can hide behind stones, make ambushes and stuff like that. You should also be able to perform a thrust while couching. Swing attacks on the ther hand, should be possible, as it would be hard to be while couching. Reloading x-bows, shooting arrows, throwing stuff and similar things should be possible either.

You should only be able to sprint for a short amount of time, maybe 2-3 seconds, and then it should increase by 0,5 seconds per athletics point.
The speed should be 1,5*running speed or something like that. After sprinting, there should be an amount of time, where you can't sprint (maybe 30 sec), and then you can sprint for those 2-3 seconds again.
No attack should be performed while sprinting.

anyways, what do you think?

Offline Dravic

• Knight
  • Renown: 78
  • Infamy: 29
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Not playing
  • Game nicks: Not playing
  • IRC nick: Most likely Dravic
Re: Crouch and sprint
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 03:22:55 pm »
+1
Would be nice, but I think, that 30 secs of time between sprints should be decreased by athletics. So more athletics you have, more often and longer you can use sprint.

Anyway: 100% agreed.

Offline Torp

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 05:27:54 pm »
Would be nice, but I think, that 30 secs of time between sprints should be decreased by athletics. So more athletics you have, more often and longer you can use sprint.

Anyway: 100% agreed.

well, you could do that, i don't really care

i was just thinking that then athletics chars will be twice as fast, sprint twice as long AND sprint twice as often.

dunno, if it can be implented, i will leave that to chadz

Offline Torp

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 05:49:12 pm »
i would also like to add some kind of roll move, so you can roll behin a tree or rock in if you're getting shot at.

Offline Duerkos

• Peasant
  • Renown: 5
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Basileia ton Romaion
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Duerkos
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 06:01:41 pm »
I don't really like the sprint feature because I think it would led to the typical situation where theres 10 players in team 1, and only 1 in the other team... and since he has athletics he just runs a lot each time and doesn't get killed (but doesnt kill anything). It would be a badass skill for an archer also (though it is reasonable)... I don't know.

The crouch feature is nice. The problem is crossbows should be able to shoot while crouched, but other weapons not so much. That would give a bonus to crossbows, so it would be best if that doesnt happens.

And the roll move is the most troublesome... I know you are thinking of a ninja-style move, but I wouldn't like to see a fully armored knight doing a barrell roll like he was superman or something. Perhaps it could be dependant of athletics and weight, but it would be a pain to code and at low levels (lot of weight or low athletics) you shouldn't roll, just throw yourself at ground.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline jspook

• Noble
  • Renown: 17
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • Auphan
  • Game nicks: Pit
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 06:10:51 pm »
Crouch = yes
Roll = utterly rediculous

The crouch is cool, and it has many more uses besides archery and ranged.  You would probably see a lot more people getting their feet cut out from under them in a fight (making leg armor that much more important for turtles)
You would also get to see turtles crouching and limiting their hitboxes.  It would also make pairing up a ranged plus turtle a lot easier.  Since the turtle could now crouch and have the guy shoot over his head.
Not to mention the 2H or polearm crouching to try and cut out a turtle infestation.
I think crouching should have its drawbacks, though.  It should make you more vulnerable to the overhead strike, shield or not.
"Scissors needs a nerf because he beats me every time, but rock is just fine" - paper

Offline Thtb

• Peasant
  • Renown: 3
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 06:16:32 pm »
Roll, Crouch , sprint?

Oh silly you, we already have enough people playing hide and seek (or catch) instead of fighting...

Offline Chasab

• Peasant
  • Renown: 7
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2011, 06:49:20 pm »
i would also like to add some kind of roll move, so you can roll behin a tree or rock in if you're getting shot at.

go play battlefield 2

Offline Torp

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2011, 07:03:11 pm »
I kinda just wanted to bump the thread without just saying: "bump", and hat was the only thing i could think of :D

the crouch and sprint are the 2 main suggestions

Offline Vexus

• Count
  • Renown: 198
  • Infamy: 41
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Deus_Mortis
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2011, 07:05:45 pm »
Only crouch should be added and while your crouching you can only block not attack else it would be abused to be less visible for the enemy while you can fight crouched from some roof or behind some ruins/walls/whatever.

Offline Joelturuz

• Noble
  • Renown: 17
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Ratchis
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2011, 07:44:20 pm »
IIRC Vikingr (the Warband mod) has crouching and it does have it's uses. This is definitely one of those things that aren't needed much though, so I don't know if it's worth the effort.
To sprint, no thanks. People can run quite fast as it is and I see a lot of balancement problems with it. Same things apply to this as the former suggestion as well.

Offline Beauchamp

• Earl
  • Renown: 427
  • Infamy: 79
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
    • Personal portfolio
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2011, 03:32:07 pm »
if ever you shouldn't be able to do anything at all while crouching - but for hiding only behind smaller obstacles it might be good. i'm still not sure however what priority this feature should have.

i'm also not sure if the crouch wouldn't make 1h horsemen useless. you have problems to hit crossbowman when he reloads now so i can't imagine how you'd hit anybody who would be crouching. sbdy could just be crouching forever and waiting for horseman to dismount?

fighting while crouching is ridiculous, you will have smaller hitboxes and you even want be able to fight back? its a no go imo.
OOODDIIINVALHALLAAAAAAA on the 20th of April 2011: What I know is that... heh, eh ja how can I explain? ...deh feeling to believe in Odin is right, dat is what I say, ja?!

Offline Centurion

• Noble
  • Renown: 14
  • Infamy: 7
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2011, 05:25:42 pm »
There was a mod for reg M&B that made it so when you were on the ground and you looked up a little bit while holding shield button your guy would crouch behind the shield. All you had to do was look up above the heads of the enemy. Would be good and realistic. Also make longbow able to pierce low quality shields like the xbow can. It would be a good alternative buff for longbow users.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 01:38:01 am by Centurion »

Offline Ujio

• Knight
  • Renown: 70
  • Infamy: 59
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2011, 10:05:51 pm »
Not so Keen on the sprinting system, but I like the crouching system

"By protecting Men, you save yourself."

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2011, 10:59:27 pm »
Been wanting a crouch feature for a long time, as well as sprint and double tapped dodges.

Game comparison time for well done mechanics -
Crouch - Any FPS.  Seriously.  This is a staple and basic human movement.  Derp

Sprint - Far Cry 2. 
     Yes, shitty game (well mostly just boring.  Passable FPS/Arsonist simulator, but meh overall).  However the sprint mechanic was done so superbly in this game.  You couldn't see your sprint bar, could only sprint for a few moments and if you maxed out your sprint distance your vision would go blurry and your speed would drop by around 50% as your character was out of breath and heaving great inhale/exhale noises which drowned out the surrounding noises for a moment until you caught your breath.  Also if you hit crouch while sprinting you would slide (ala baseball for instance) a short distance which was excellent for dashing for cover when a dozen guys unloaded on you with their AK47's and you needed to reload.  **YOU COULDN'T SHOOT (ATTACK) WHILE SPRINTING**

Double Tapped Dodges - Action Half Life, Unreal Tournament series.
     In both of these games you could double tap wasd keys in order to do a quick movement in that direction.  In the UT series especially these were just short lunges which would add a huge depth to dueling as it's a basic and staple move in sword fighting (melee combat in general) since man first figured out how to swing a stick with any style.  These would also allow you the ability to dive out of the way of the war rhino's bearing down upon you by diving to the side. 

Action Half Life didn't have silly combat "rolls" John Woo style, but rather simple "dives" to the right or left in order to put some distance between yourself and a grenade that just dropped in front of you.  You would dive face first in one of those directions and then take a few seconds to pick yourself back up off the ground from the prone position.  We already have something that is very close to serving this purpose:  Dismounted horsemen.  They are prone on the ground and then have to stand back up.  We simply have to figure out how to add a little "hop" to it that propels you in the keyed direction with that animation and voila!  You can dive the hell out of the way of that crazy rabid disgusting beast bearing down upon you (horse) rather that try some silly and stupid maneuver of jump slashing it with a short weapon.  Less cav bitching would be justified given an actual way to leap out of the path of something trying to trample you.  We could even increase trample damage again to make it more of a realistic value.

*Wouldn't you dive the fuck out of the way of something careening towards your face that could make it implode?  I'm fairly sure you would.  Again this is a BASIC human movement.*

Just my thoughts, if you have those games I mentioned, or remember them you'll probably get a much better idea of how these things can be implemented and implemented WELL where it would improve the overall gameplay and increase the skill-cap (ceiling) potential in the game.
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?