Author Topic: Best light armor for melees?  (Read 4876 times)

Offline Paprik

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Best light armor for melees?
« on: April 07, 2012, 03:16:53 am »
So I was wondering what's the best break point for weight and which specific armor pieces fit that break point... Most people seem to prefer (and advise) using light armor cause mobility and speed = win. This would be for a melee character.

Offline Miwiw

• King
  • Renown: 1267
  • Infamy: 525
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Miwiw
Re: Best light armor for melees?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 03:28:54 am »
First seeing what is Light Armor? I consider anything up to the Lamellar Vests ~ Heraldic Mail (including those with similar armor stats around 36/9 38/12) as Light Armor.
That means all Armor up to Byrnie (which is included) is Light Armor.

Thereforce there are differences;

shirt (like Linen Tunic, Short Tunic, Pelt / Rawhide Coat or "any colour" tunic) -> very light 1-2 (3) hits
leather thingies (like Fur Coat, Leather Vest, Steppe Armor, up to Sarranid Padded Vest) -> light 2-3 (4) hits
heavier leather (like Tribal Warrior Outfit, Sarranid Leather Armor, Light Strange Armor, Byrnie) -> heavy "light" 2-5 hits

Those hits are of course depending on IF, enemies PS and STR plus weapon. Playing a nice melee build with Byrnie can take some hits  and is pretty good in melee. Walking speed is still nice and weight low enough to act fast enough with any swings.

I especially can recommend the Byrnie, the Tribal Warrior Outfit and Leather Jerkin. Of course also the Ragged Outfit, any Gambeson or the Studded Leather Coat are nice as well.
Shirts are more for light archers, leather thingies for shielders and crossbows (heavier archers) and the heavier leather could be nice for 2handed or polearms.

This is of course my opinion. Other people could understand "light" different.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 03:30:37 am by Miwiw99 »
Miwiw_HRE - Two Handed
Trade with me

Offline Paprik

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 03:45:05 am »
well yeah, by light I meant full set below 15kg... I'm having trouble deciding which of the three light tiers should I choose.

At the moment, I'm using studded leather coat cause it seems like there's no real upgrade unless adding a ton more weight. Byrnie adds +6 body ar. -7 leg ar. for 2kg. Not really worth it imo.

And what about the other pieces? Helmet, boots and gloves? Is it worth going beyond Rus Cavalry boots and Lamellar gauntlets?

Offline Rusty_Shacklefjord

• Baron
  • Renown: 90
  • Infamy: 61
  • cRPG Player
  • Pro-pain
    • View Profile
  • Faction: One Man Army
  • Game nicks: Erik_Magnusson
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2012, 04:08:48 am »
It depends on just HOW light you want to go.

I pretty much always wear light armor and spend a lot of time in the battle server. In my experience, the byrnie and lamellar vests are just about the perfect balance. Body armor is the most important armor stat, so don't be afraid to get something on the upper end of light. Even a tunic over mail would work, although that's really getting more into the medium armor range. Pretty much any gauntlets work, since they're so light. In fact, when I want to roll a little heavy and survive to the end of the round I usually take some wisby gauntlets, or even my heavy gauntlets, to boost me into 40+ total body armor. Of course, regular leather gloves are fine too, especially if you're going for high speed.

Head armor can be helpful, although personally I don't bother with it when I'm going light. A straw, felt, or fur hat for style, maybe. If you want some head armor, you should stay below the mail coif, which is 0.7 weight. I like the steppe cap. Boots aren't really important, so feel free to skimp. I like taking the turkish shoes, since they look nice and are 0 weight, although anything up to the rus cavalry boots would work.
I too am not a bit tamed, I too am untranslatable,
I sound my barbaric YAWP over the roofs of the world.

Offline FRANK_THE_TANK

• King
  • Renown: 1312
  • Infamy: 339
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • FluckCucker
    • View Profile
  • Faction: A Free and proud Peasant of Fisdnar!!!
  • Game nicks: FRANK_THE_TANK
  • IRC nick: Sippy sip
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2012, 04:40:33 am »
For me it depends on if your talking about +3 or not. +3 Its the Byrnie because it gets +5.

If its not, Tribal warrior out fit, Kaftan, Padded Leather, reason being, these with leather gloves light boots and a light helmet will have no impact on your wpf and movement speed, if you mix that with a str build you will last long enough and move faster than all the mid tier and heavy armor dudes wondering about. just remember that when you need to run for it, sheath your weapon, it can make all the difference.

Also I prefer using a long weapon when I'm going for light armor speed. Lets you get more hits in and stay clear, + if its long its probably a pole arm which means you can maneuver around the fight and tag people letting other guys finish them off while they are stunned.

My current kit is: Leather Jerkin, Leather Gloves, Rus Cav Boots, Head cloth. Lets me run plenty fast when I'm not hauling extra weapons for crafting ticks.
Fammi un pompino!

I think I have ball cancer in my right nut :(
Good news everybody! It's not nut cancer :)
Bad news everybody, I got dumped :(

Offline Malaclypse

• King
  • Renown: 1299
  • Infamy: 146
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2012, 04:57:24 am »
+1
Ragged Outfit! Especially if you can get +3.
You think you're pretty smart with your dago mustache and your greasy hair.

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2012, 05:59:11 am »
35 armor or so is about what I've found is the lowest you can go and expect to NOT be 1shotted by gorilla juice heads

Offline FRANK_THE_TANK

• King
  • Renown: 1312
  • Infamy: 339
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • FluckCucker
    • View Profile
  • Faction: A Free and proud Peasant of Fisdnar!!!
  • Game nicks: FRANK_THE_TANK
  • IRC nick: Sippy sip
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2012, 07:57:39 am »
I hope that in the near future I can respond to this question with, "a kilt".
Fammi un pompino!

I think I have ball cancer in my right nut :(
Good news everybody! It's not nut cancer :)
Bad news everybody, I got dumped :(

Offline Crazyi

• Baron
  • Renown: 82
  • Infamy: 35
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Crazyi_KUTT, Crazyeye_KUTT, CrayCray
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2012, 08:48:32 am »
any of the Llamar Vests are my favorite.

Offline Formaldehyde Junkie

• Baron
  • Renown: 108
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: Beeper
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2012, 09:13:06 am »
Ragged Outfit! Especially if you can get +3
+1

Offline Erzengel

• Marshall
  • Renown: 769
  • Infamy: 214
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Norse_Erzengel
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2012, 12:13:24 pm »
Statswise the best light armor is the Byrnie. On top of that it simply looks awesome. Loom it, you won't regret it. :)

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • Renown: 859
  • Infamy: 198
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2012, 12:41:33 pm »
I think tunics, clothes etc are not light armor. They are simply not armor, they are clothings. I find myself most useful at 3-6 weight body armor. I don't know why but I think Gambeson is so fine. In my opinion something higher than 6 weight, should be considered as medium armor. Simply because anything above 6 slows you down considerably. The point of light armor is that, it should provide protection yet you should be able to run around very fast. At least that's how I felt when I used as a 24/15 two hander. I think the best light armor is based on your character stats, rather than personal preferences. A ninja is faster than me with a 9 weight armor than me with a 5 weight armor.
Quote from: BlindGuy
Seems the fascists are gaining ground once again in UKR... right vving politics is SO bad for the general populace but STILL in times of trouble the uneducated turn to them for help, simply because they are so amoral they vvill supply those vvilling to fight vvith vveapons rather than knovvledge.

My UU key is broken incase you can't tell :D

Offline Vexus

• Count
  • Renown: 198
  • Infamy: 41
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Deus_Mortis
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2012, 01:22:56 pm »
Haubergeon ftw.

Offline Cup1d

• Count
  • Renown: 167
  • Infamy: 54
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercs
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2012, 01:36:16 pm »
Any armor that let you survive arbalest's bolt from medium distance.
Melee hits is your own mistakes.

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • Renown: 859
  • Infamy: 198
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2012, 02:49:48 pm »
Any armor that let you survive arbalest's bolt from medium distance.
Melee hits is your own mistakes.
Not always. When you are surrounded by multiple enemies, you may get hit. Actually, this is where light armor excels. When you are forced to fight with multiple enemies, you want your movement speed as high as possible. I think a good light armor is the one that allows you to fight multiple enemies at once while providing enough protection against hits you will likely to get. Also, against bolts and crossbows. That means, this is highly dependant upon your athletics and ironflesh.

As a side note: a good armor should absorb very low damage completely (making them 1 damage or so). That two handers can not spam you with their superfast thrust attacks. That's why clothes should not be considered as light armor. If you can stab a naked man to death, you get what I mean.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 02:52:42 pm by Ronin »
Quote from: BlindGuy
Seems the fascists are gaining ground once again in UKR... right vving politics is SO bad for the general populace but STILL in times of trouble the uneducated turn to them for help, simply because they are so amoral they vvill supply those vvilling to fight vvith vveapons rather than knovvledge.

My UU key is broken incase you can't tell :D