Author Topic: autobalance is awful  (Read 5286 times)

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • Renown: 1226
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Companions
  • Game nicks: Joker86_TP
Re: autobalance is awful
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2012, 12:25:11 am »
Its not always the autobalance's fault. You cant blame it when your team is repeating the same tactic over and over when it clearly isnt working. Autobalance does a decent job, but you cant rely on it making your team win.

And for bannerbalance i think its a good thing that teamwork gets this, because teamwork in a game like this should be rewarded.

Thirdly, if cav gets stacked on one team you just have to adapt, stick with pikemen and camp ruins. Then charge out when archers have pinned down enough horsies.

Quite obvious for people with brain.

Charging didn't work three times? I won't work the fourth time, too, most likely.

Enemy got more cav? Play defensively to maintain overview over your surroundings, and hold a place which is difficult terrain for cav. Wait until most or all of their cav is down, then charge.

Being a random cRPG player and aware of such elementary mechanics? Impossible!  :rolleyes:
Joker makes a very good point.
î saved for eternety (without context  :mrgreen:)

Offline Vexus

• Count
  • Renown: 198
  • Infamy: 41
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Deus_Mortis
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2012, 12:27:28 am »
Sadly randomers don't follow plans so you have to stick with them hoping on some miracles most of the times.

Offline Ylca

• Count
  • Renown: 183
  • Infamy: 68
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: LLJK
  • Game nicks: YlcaTheTerrible, YlcaTheJuggler
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2012, 12:33:30 am »
+2
Said this before, but the community will absolutely rage against any actual balance fixes as long as the multiplier system is in effect. No one wants to flip flop between x1 and x2 constantly, they'd rather take the chance that they'll be on the steamroll team at least for a while.

Until this game isn't based on winning multiple rounds in a row balance is going to be a fix that causes the devs a lot of grief. There was an incredibly short period where autobalance was fixed, that was reverted incredibly quickly based on player complaints.

Hence the unbalanced system we see today.

People who actually want an interesting match instead of a stomp are few and far between, you'd be shocked at how few of us there actually are.

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • Renown: 1226
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Companions
  • Game nicks: Joker86_TP
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2012, 12:34:04 am »
Sadly randomers don't follow plans so you have to stick with them hoping on some miracles most of the times.

I added a 7th point to my big post: a command system. Indeed it's a tool needed to make teams more even, because it makes it easier for people to adapt, and to make people who don't care about such things listen anyway. Sure, it won't make all teams always move like a single organism in 100% of all cases, but hell, I take everything that helps, and be it only a little bit!  :|

Said this before, but the community will absolutely rage against any actual balance fixes as long as the multiplier system is in effect. No one wants to flip flop between x1 and x2 constantly, they'd rather take the chance that they'll be on the steamroll team at least for a while.

Until this game isn't based on winning multiple rounds in a row balance is going to be a fix that causes the devs a lot of grief. There was an incredibly short period where autobalance was fixed, that was reverted incredibly quickly based on player complaints.

People who actually want an interesting match instead of a stomp are few and far between, you'd be shocked at how few of us there actually are.

Crap. Need to add an 8th point.  :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 12:35:05 am by Joker86 »
Joker makes a very good point.
î saved for eternety (without context  :mrgreen:)

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2012, 01:34:13 am »

This.

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2012, 06:06:50 am »

I like to be on the losing team, you get those awesome 1v6 fights that way.
the perfect fight devolves into a final 1v1 with everyone watching criticizing every block. I have always loved those.
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline MrShine

• Ragdoll Basher
  • King
  • Renown: 1156
  • Infamy: 193
  • Fear the stache
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: MrShine
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2012, 06:29:52 am »
the perfect fight devolves into a final 1v1 with everyone watching criticizing every block. I have always loved those.

Truth, I remember that this game got my heart going when I first started playing... not so much anymore.

..except for those times where you and someone else are the last 2 alive and fight it out while 100 other people look on.  A pretty awesome feeling to pull it off, especially against the odds if outnumbered.
Holy crap I have a youtube gaming channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/MrShine12345

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2012, 08:07:08 am »
+3
Problem with the autobalance is that it is putting all ranged/cav on one team.

Offline ammeron

• Peasant
  • Renown: 5
  • Infamy: 5
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Warkittenz
« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2012, 09:00:50 am »
Problem with the autobalance is that it is putting all ranged/cav on one team.

sometimes the reason this is happening is because of clans and banner balance. say its 30v30 and 15 of one players team are chaos that all get balanced, well chaos has like no cav so thats like 15 infantry takin gup the team, therefore obviously more cav get balanced to the other side, its just banner balance , its stupid

Offline Blashyrkh

• Peasant
  • Renown: 9
  • Infamy: 6
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2012, 10:55:58 am »
suggestion

why you connect to the server you can only see:

spectator and roll dice

roll dice 1,3,5 - team A ; 2,4,6 - team B ... you can roll dice only once per map

(I would just like to say i have no problem with the current ballance system, since I win some lose some ... its a game and for the most part is enjoyable and fun)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Kerrigan

• Knight
  • Renown: 71
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
  • WTF
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Kerrigan
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2012, 02:07:41 pm »
I have indeed been in some games where most of the cav is stacked with us GK's but it does not happen as often as people here think it does. And even when it does happen, the opponent tends to have more infantry then our team and still have a big chance to win. Also, GK's do not get a constant x5(by far), even on cav maps.

And to the infantry that go like "aww I got bumped by a cav and then backstabbed to death they are so overpowered I must go cry in a corner"; I played my share of infantry, it's overrated. Cav is easy to kill/repell if you pay attention. I'm sorry for you that this game is not a cakewalk.

Oh and another thing. Why do all the two handers get stacked so often huh?! Damn those OP two handers, they keep backstabbing and hilt slashing me, I gotta find a corner to cry in.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 02:10:48 pm by Kerrigan »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Memento_Mori

• Count
  • Renown: 187
  • Infamy: 32
  • cRPG Player
  • I use these forums to hook up with hot ladies
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Memento_Mori, Sengo_Muramasa, Born_Of_Osiris,
« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2012, 03:15:53 pm »
There's no downside to cav
Hello, I'm bad cav.

As a cav hybrid, if you've ever seen me playing you'll notice me mostly on foot because the downside to cav is that once you're dehorsed you're dead and the only real efficient way of killing your enemy is hitting them whilst they're distracted. If I'm lucky to survive to the end of the round on horse and it becomes 1v3 or 1v4 I dismount, why? because killing anyone aware of you on a horse is near impossible unless they make a mistake. Only class I can safely attack maybe 60% of the time is a 1h+shield, most smarty pants just cut the horse from under you before you can connect.

Anyway I suggest you try a cav STF. Majority of the time I do better on foot than on my horse because on foot there is no one I cannot engage and at least have a chance, with cav anyone aware of your presence can end you should you decide to charge. The terrain also plays a much more crucial role when you're on a horse.

anyway as I said I'm bad cav and my build is not a pure cav I'm just a dabbler but this is what I've gathered from my experiences playing and watching others. ( I have done pure cav builds, but I'm mainly a dabbler of the horse back ways in Crpg )

Offline ArchonAlarion

• Baron
  • Renown: 98
  • Infamy: 54
  • Late 15th cen. English Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: ArchonAlarion, DON'T_WAKE_GRANDPA, NASTY_TURTLE, UNARMED_CLASS_ DON'T_BAN_PLS, et al.
« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2012, 04:34:16 pm »
I wish that non-clan players had more of a choice. As of now, I feel irrelevant to the battle. Even when I do well, I'm still just a "pubbie." Clan players will only rarely help pubbies with tactics, and if you happen to get in they're way they have no problem team-wounding you, because it isn't like you can do anything about it.

Banner balance is really cool in concept. It has this emotional component where you have to give up your individuality and submit to a clan's aesthetics. That's cool. However, it would also be cool to have a "mercenary" option where you could pay gold to get on a certain team. Players would basically be auctioning themselves to get on a team. They wouldn't auction higher than the profit from the multis in theory. Maybe that specific idea is silly, but something like it would make the game better for pubbies.

Offline Turboflex

• Duke
  • Renown: 648
  • Infamy: 212
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2012, 05:11:30 pm »
Anyway I suggest you try a cav STF. Majority of the time I do better on foot than on my horse because on foot there is no one I cannot engage and at least have a chance, with cav anyone aware of your presence can end you should you decide to charge. The terrain also plays a much more crucial role when you're on a horse.

anyway as I said I'm bad cav and my build is not a pure cav I'm just a dabbler but this is what I've gathered from my experiences playing and watching others. ( I have done pure cav builds, but I'm mainly a dabbler of the horse back ways in Crpg )

I've done cav before. 1h too and done well (I have decent timing on bump-slash). It's just boring, you circle around waiting for forces to engage then swoop in on people who don't see you coming, and back off unless it's a shielder with a short 1h. You can also look for teammates in combat and trot over their opponent from behind with your destrier setting up a knockdown kill, mad skillz there.

I stopped putting points into riding cuz I'd rather be on the frontline, fighting alongside clanmates and working on close our range unit cohesion (actually challenging stuff). Riding around on a horse motorcycle and backstabbing people is just dishonourable/lame, relatively unskilled & ultimately boring. When the field is full of people attempting this, the overall gameplay quality is significantly lowered, people are here for medieval combat, not to play some kind of backstabbing defence simulation.

Offline Riddaren

• Duke
  • Renown: 601
  • Infamy: 298
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Riddaren, Matthaus
« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2012, 05:13:25 pm »
IMO It would be good enough if ranged (archers, throwers and maybe crossbowmen) and cavalry were balanced even among the teams.
I know this isn't hard to do in PHP/MYSQL. Question is if it's possible to customize the M&B player balancing function accordingly. Is it possible?

$ranged = TRUE/FALSE; // level > 12 AND ~wpf > 99
$cavalry = TRUE/FALSE; // level > 12 AND ~riding >= 3