Poll

Last Man Standing: Good idea?

This idea is so fantastic that I peed myself.
17 (65.4%)
No. I am ashamed for even reading this post.
4 (15.4%)
It's an interesting concept, but could use some work. (Post your ideas!)
5 (19.2%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Author Topic: New Game Mode Idea  (Read 1404 times)

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
  • Renown: 794
  • Infamy: 164
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rustyspoon, Sir_Rusty_Of_Spoon, Rusty_the_Spoonarian
New Game Mode Idea
« on: April 03, 2012, 02:07:30 am »
+10
One thing that I think has been missing in this mod for a while is ridiculous mayhem and the chance for one player to make a big difference.

So, I suggest a new game mode: Last Man Standing.

It works like this: No teams. Everyone is spawned in a random location. If you kill/damage someone, you are healed. Your multi will be based on how long you last. Let's say there are 6 minute rounds. If you are the last one standing, you get an x5. Then it scales down depending on how long you lasted. So if you last at least 5 minutes you get an x5, 4 minutes x4, etc.

For the healing, I've got two different ideas so far. One idea is to gain a flat amount of hp on kills. Another is you heal a percentage of the damage you do. I think the second idea will help people feel like they are contributing more and will give a bonus to even low-strength players. So for the second idea, say if you hit someone and do 60 points of damage. Maybe you get healed for 6 points.

Since you can calculate who is actually fighting and who isn't, you won't get a multi for a particular time period unless you were fighting for a good portion of that time period. So let's say you lasted 4:30, but you didn't fight for a whole minute. You would get an x3 instead of an x4 for being a dirty coward. Since I'm not sure exactly what the devs can or cannot check for, it's hard to say exactly how this would work. We know that they can check for proximity, so that can be used to determine who is actually fighting or not. Also, I'm wondering if it would be possible to check for leechers. Things like, being close to someone and not doing anything. That would stop groups of people from hiding off on the map somewhere. Another way to easily solve that problem though would be to make all of the maps arena-type maps.

Horses will be unusable for obvious reasons.

If it goes to MOTF, the person who caps is the winner. Anyone who is alive during MOTF and didn't cap gets a x1 for the round for being dirty, stinking cowards.

I think it would be a nice change of pace compared to the other game modes and has the potential for great heroism and wacky mayhem.

What say you?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 10:58:35 am by rustyspoon »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
Re: New Game Mode Idea
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 02:21:11 am »
Good idea.

Needs some more thought, but the concept is awesome.

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Logen

• OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 385
  • Infamy: 39
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 02:26:22 am »
Expect tincan flamgerge domination
Simply because of healing on kill

Offline Son Of Odin

• King
  • Renown: 1856
  • Infamy: 338
  • Sky belongs to Asagods as long as the raven flies.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Son_Of_Odin
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 02:28:11 am »
I think ranged should be unusable for obvious reasons.

There is no sight in my third eye

Offline Rainbow

• Count
  • Renown: 167
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 02:53:36 am »
If you kill someone you get +10 HP or something.  Full health is way way way OP on players elite as me.

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 03:14:59 am »
If you kill someone you get +10 HP or something.  Full health is way way way OP on players elite as me.

10 hp is pretty low. You can lose that much if someone looks at you funny. 30 hp might be a better number. You can still easily lose that in 1 hit even with armor.

Offline Rainbow

• Count
  • Renown: 167
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 03:17:47 am »
10 hp is pretty low. You can lose that much if someone looks at you funny. 30 hp might be a better number. You can still easily lose that in 1 hit even with armor.

well 1 IF is equal to 2HP so its like a free 5 points in IF every kill.  *shrugs*  At least we can both agree that full health is not the way to go.

Offline Logen

• OKAM Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2012, 03:21:56 am »
Yeah, the idea is fun, just needs some fine tuning.

Offline RibaldRon

• Baron
  • Renown: 144
  • Infamy: 13
  • cRPG Player
  • why do butts
    • View Profile
  • Faction: LLJK
  • Game nicks: LLJK_RibaldRon
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2012, 03:47:50 am »
+1
My main concern is that archers will hide in the  corners, they can be counted as "in combat" probably, since they'd be shooting.. but people chasing archers will lose points. :(

Also, how about some form of life leech as opposed to 10 points or full hp on kills.  That way a peasant kill won't be worth as much as a tin can STR crutcher.  Might help AGI characters as well.
signature removed: annoying

USA USA USA

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2012, 10:38:09 am »
My main concern is that archers will hide in the  corners, they can be counted as "in combat" probably, since they'd be shooting.. but people chasing archers will lose points. :(

Well, we don't know exactly what tools the devs have available. it's possible that they can check for proximity to other players. So, if you're close to other players you could be considered "in combat." I'm also personally not worried about ranged. Mostly because every person on the field is their potential enemy. As archers are often shooting down range, it's pretty easy for them to develop tunnel vision. Making it easy for someone to sneak up on them.

Also, how about some form of life leech as opposed to 10 points or full hp on kills.  That way a peasant kill won't be worth as much as a tin can STR crutcher.  Might help AGI characters as well.

I'm intrigued by this. What do you mean exactly by "life leech?"

Expect tincan flamgerge domination
Simply because of healing on kill

Another thing about this, even though it's basically a free-for-all you can still potentially team up with people to kill the big bads. It's kind of a smart idea to do so. If you have a choice between killing a lone peasant or swarming a big bad, it's a good idea to go for the big bad. Honestly, I also think that strength builds would be at a disadvantage in this mode. Sure you can kill people faster, but it would be easier to get swarmed. An agi build can pick and choose their fights.

Offline Beauchamp

• Earl
  • Renown: 427
  • Infamy: 79
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
    • Personal portfolio
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2012, 12:56:38 pm »
although overall i like LMS idea i see no space for noobs in this kind of gamemode. it would be for elite players only, the rest would be destined to have 1x multiplier forever. thuss i don't like it to much. maybe it could be worked out around with something like LT(team)S. but solely LMS idea won't work imo.
OOODDIIINVALHALLAAAAAAA on the 20th of April 2011: What I know is that... heh, eh ja how can I explain? ...deh feeling to believe in Odin is right, dat is what I say, ja?!

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2012, 01:06:27 pm »
although overall i like LMS idea i see no space for noobs in this kind of gamemode. it would be for elite players only
Excellent

Offline Logen

• OKAM Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2012, 02:25:39 pm »
Another thing about this, even though it's basically a free-for-all you can still potentially team up with people to kill the big bads. It's kind of a smart idea to do so. If you have a choice between killing a lone peasant or swarming a big bad, it's a good idea to go for the big bad. Honestly, I also think that strength builds would be at a disadvantage in this mode. Sure you can kill people faster, but it would be easier to get swarmed. An agi build can pick and choose their fights.
Well actually thats the situation I was talking about, even if some tincan gets ganked, one lucky strike for him an he has fullhp again.

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2012, 02:28:03 pm »
Well actually thats the situation I was talking about, even if some tincan gets ganked, one lucky strike for him an he has fullhp again.

Yeah, I actually amended that idea up above. I'm leaning towards healing a percentage of the damage you do. So maybe 5% or 10% of the damage you inflict gets healed back to you. So if you're in a situation where you're getting ganked, you'll be taking damage WAY faster than you can heal it.

Offline beniliusbob

• Knight
  • Renown: 37
  • Infamy: 22
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Valmaximoron, Osgod, Gorlinquist, Sultan_bin_SHIELDWALL, Toltbhrower
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2012, 04:39:23 pm »
It would only be cool if you didn't regenerate. The map rotation would also have to be pretty unique to prevent certain classes - namely, archers - from dominating.