Author Topic: How important is leg armour and hand armour as an infantrymen?  (Read 1629 times)

Offline Banzai!!!

• Knight
  • Renown: 28
  • Infamy: 11
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: BlackFist_Robin_Longstride
Ok this is probaly a noob question but I dont understand much point behind having good leg armour as infantry. I understand it for cavalry as your legs are what usually get hit allot but as infantry it is usually your body and sometimes your head. The only purpose I really see with leg armour as infantry is:

1. It goes well with how you look

2. It is helpful if you get shot in the leg by an arrow or bolt.

I ask the same as well for expensive gauntlet/hand armour what is the point to it as this seems to be the least of all places to be hit...

So is there really any reason to buy expensive leg armour and gauntlet armour or am I missing something and if so please enlighten me on the prupose of good leg armour and gauntlet armour  :D
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 04:29:43 pm by Banzai!!! »

Offline Ylca

• Count
  • Renown: 183
  • Infamy: 68
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: LLJK
  • Game nicks: YlcaTheTerrible, YlcaTheJuggler
Re: How important is leg armour as an infantrymen?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 04:29:37 pm »
Many infantry wear low leg armor because as you said, it only really protects from the odd archer shot- but archers generally aim for the chest or head so it becomes a moot point. Problem is that if you fight certain good 2hers they will always aim a little down and for the legs because many people wear significantly less leg armor than chest/head and it's hilarious to watch a medium armor person go down in one swipe because he was trying to save some gold.

I'd say have low leg armor for the most part with a backup high leg armor if you run into one of these guys.

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: How important is leg armour as an infantrymen?
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 04:37:26 pm »
Many infantry wear low leg armor because as you said, it only really protects from the odd archer shot- but archers generally aim for the chest or head so it becomes a moot point. Problem is that if you fight certain good 2hers they will always aim a little down and for the legs because many people wear significantly less leg armor than chest/head and it's hilarious to watch a medium armor person go down in one swipe because he was trying to save some gold.

I'd say have low leg armor for the most part with a backup high leg armor if you run into one of these guys.
Actually at mid or long range a lot of the arrows come in at foot range due to poor missile drop estimations or the third person crosshair that aims too low.

Leg armor is only the part from the knee down as far as I know, which already gives you 80% less damage or whatever it is these days. With the ground collision aiming for the legs is quite a bad idea cause you might just hit the ground. You also get quite a bit of leg armor from most body armors. I always see leg armor as a good opportunity to save a bit of weight and gold. I walk around with 64 body armor but only 36 leg armor. I never noticed dying extremely quick due to getting hit in the leg. I would just pick something below mail chausses and pick the right color boots for your outfit.

Also personally I always fail to look at leg armor. I never really look at it or notice that its extremely light. I just don't pay attention to it. I have heard however that some pikemen prefer to aim for the legs due to low armor and not hitting teammates if the enemy dies just before you stab him, cause you'll just hit the ground.

Offline HUSTLER

• Noble
  • Renown: 19
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: How important is leg armour and hand armour as an infantrymen?
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 04:40:46 pm »
Yes don't use leg armor its useless i never aim for the legs of my enemy i much rather use more hits going for their body instead... :twisted:

No but slry use some leg armor its funny to kill guys in rus cav boots in 1 or 2 hits because they underestimate leg armor most of em have 6 generations worth of loomed body armor just goin to waste  :wink:
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 04:48:38 pm by HUSTLER »
Stop nerfing shit, learn to counter a weapons strengths and learn some tactics.

Offline Miwiw

• King
  • Renown: 1267
  • Infamy: 525
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Miwiw
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 04:41:26 pm »
I'm using Iron Greaves with 36 Leg Armor, only 3kg weight and upkeep is only 229 gold (that is hilarious unless you pay every single round of course). That does of course mean that archers will not aim for my legs but prefer to get a headshot.

It is probably quite useful if you face pikers.
Miwiw_HRE - Two Handed
Trade with me

Offline Cup1d

• Count
  • Renown: 167
  • Infamy: 54
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercs
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 04:46:14 pm »
Leg armor is only the part from the knee down as far as I know, which already gives you 80% less damage or whatever it is these days.

Take weapon with knockdown and aim for low armored legs. Simple and effective. Also polestagger do wonders against low armor.

Also, if you are shielder - good leg armor is essential
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 04:48:02 pm by Cup1d »

Offline MrShine

• Ragdoll Basher
  • King
  • Renown: 1156
  • Infamy: 193
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Fear the stache
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: MrShine
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 06:25:28 pm »
You take less damage in the legs, so you can armor your legs accordingly (ie wear less of it). 

I don't suggest going bootless though or it's going to become your Achilles' heel AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH.
But seriously, wear some armor down there, you just don't need to stack it.

Hand armor = body armor, where every little bit helps.  Wearing good gloves will go a long way towards protecting you but gloves are expensive and heavy so you'll have to take that into account.
Holy crap I have a youtube gaming channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/MrShine12345

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2012, 12:12:22 am »
Hand armor is really a trade off between weight/protection and gold. Getting ten more body armor points by getting a more expensive body armor is cheaper than getting ten more body armor by wearing heavy gauntlets. However, a body armor with ten more armor also comes with a lot of added weight. So if you feel like you want more protection, but don't want to get slower due to weight and have some gold to spare upkeep wise, get good gloves.

If you feel like you want more protection but don't really want to pay more upkeep wise and you are fine with a little less speed, go for a better body armor and keep your gloves on the cheap side.

Offline Kivlov

• Knight
  • Renown: 27
  • Infamy: 10
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tungsten_HATS
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2012, 11:04:17 am »
You take less damage in the legs, so you can armor your legs accordingly (ie wear less of it). 

I don't suggest going bootless though or it's going to become your Achilles' heel AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH.
But seriously, wear some armor down there, you just don't need to stack it.

Hand armor = body armor, where every little bit helps.  Wearing good gloves will go a long way towards protecting you but gloves are expensive and heavy so you'll have to take that into account.
It's 80% isn't it? Going too low on leg armour will just get you leg swept by people that are paying attention to things like that.
HATS CLAN
meow

Offline MrShine

• Ragdoll Basher
  • King
  • Renown: 1156
  • Infamy: 193
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Fear the stache
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: MrShine
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2012, 03:16:54 pm »
It's 80% isn't it? Going too low on leg armour will just get you leg swept by people that are paying attention to things like that.

I don't know what the exact % is for leg hits, but I know it's lower.

My current loadout is 52 body armor and 52 leg armor, which IMO is probably higher than it needs to be.  I essentially take less damage when hit in the legs than a body shot, whereas if I had 30-40 leg armor I would probably take about the same amount in the legs as a body shot.  IMO that's probably all that is needed, but whatever.

Holy crap I have a youtube gaming channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/MrShine12345

Offline FRANK_THE_TANK

• King
  • Renown: 1312
  • Infamy: 339
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • FluckCucker
    • View Profile
  • Faction: A Free and proud Peasant of Fisdnar!!!
  • Game nicks: FRANK_THE_TANK
  • IRC nick: Sippy sip
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2012, 03:35:22 pm »
Question 1, do you like jumping?

Question 2, do you like landing on the ground post jump a) dead or b) alive.

Fammi un pompino!

I think I have ball cancer in my right nut :(
Good news everybody! It's not nut cancer :)
Bad news everybody, I got dumped :(

Offline MrPink44

• Count
  • Renown: 245
  • Infamy: 24
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Frisian Freedom
  • Game nicks: Mr_Pink_Frisia, Flying_FrnchFries
  • IRC nick: n/a
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2012, 02:02:24 am »
Just out of curiosity and this may be the wrong thread but it seems to coincide. How much does hand armor weight effect your swing speed? I currently play a Hoplite class with mail mittens and am wondering if heavier gauntlets would benefit or hinder my ability to thrust.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 +Bitches be all over yo charismatic dick.
"Suck my mace." -Larry the Magical Cheetah
I will be a meatshield for my frisian friends! -Frug Frug MB
"Frisia.. urging clans to go to war with other clans for the lulz since 2012." -Tazer
"Are you not entertained?" -Leonidas, The Prince of Persia: Sands of Time