Author Topic: The financial struggle of new players.  (Read 3775 times)

Offline Grumbs

• طالبان
  • King
  • Renown: 1170
  • Infamy: 617
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: The financial struggle of new players.
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2012, 03:30:28 pm »
Thing with the helmet is you always get hit in the body, every round, but you might go several rounds without taking a head hit. Depends I guess. I wouldn't use more than ~40 head armour though as a new guy. As you get much lower it starts becoming questionable whether its worth having one at all imo, you're going to die from the head hit anyway I guess
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 03:32:00 pm by Grumbs »
If you have ranged troubles use this:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline oprah_winfrey

• Marshall
  • Renown: 808
  • Infamy: 196
  • cRPG Player
  • Now look under your seat...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: JABONRA
  • Game nicks: Egan
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2012, 03:36:10 pm »
+1
You will want a helmet every time you fight a 1her...

Offline Shadowren

• Count
  • Renown: 255
  • Infamy: 63
  • cRPG Player
  • It isnt sufficient that I succeed-others must fail
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Shadowren_ATS
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2012, 03:40:43 pm »
If you are wearing plate then take it off. As a new player u will not have the money to be able to pay the upkeep. Use some medium armor anything from 40-45 body armor should be fine. other than that you should always be making money with that type of armor.

Edit: Also on your first gen you don't pay upkeep in till level 25 i think. So you should have almost everything you need by then and all the money for the upkeep.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 03:44:44 pm by Shadowren »

Away with you, vile beggar.

Offline HUSTLER

• Noble
  • Renown: 19
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2012, 03:46:55 pm »
I think that the problem is new players don't know that they have to have a buffer like torben said around 40-50k buffer to keep them avoid bad days ruining their entire fortune lol..

Story is the same thing each time new player lvl´s up he use all hes gained gold on some armor hopefully not plate armor...

Have no buffer runs onto the battle server lose what ever he had left after buying hes dream gear then comes to the forums an start a thread...

Someone should sticky a thread explaining how important it is to have a solid buffer before you put on your setup an also to keep their setup realistic  :wink:
Stop nerfing shit, learn to counter a weapons strengths and learn some tactics.

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2012, 03:55:28 pm »
I gain money with 40k gear. You just need to get a 20k gold buffer atleast to get through the rough patches. Don't you new players have no upkeep until like lvl 26 or something? They just fixed that you do receive upkeep once you respec right? Just dont buy anything for the early levels, you'll barely be able to do any damage anyway.

You earn a very steady stream of money with 20k gear, which also allows you to be quite effective already. If play like that for a few hours you'll be set for life. As long as you keep it under 40k and don't play any dtv.

Thing with the helmet is you always get hit in the body, every round, but you might go several rounds without taking a head hit. Depends I guess. I wouldn't use more than ~40 head armour though as a new guy. As you get much lower it starts becoming questionable whether its worth having one at all imo, you're going to die from the head hit anyway I guess
I love people with a shit ton of body armor but crappy headgear, one 1h leftslash to the face and they are done. Oh wait I'm 2h now, dangit.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 03:58:08 pm by SgtTeeh »

Offline rufio

• Marshall
  • Renown: 995
  • Infamy: 483
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • QQ
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Rufio_pleaser_of_widows, LeLouche_LampeRouge, Quenya_Favourite_of_Rufio
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2012, 03:56:19 pm »
50k is 200 minutes of x5 or a 1000 in x1 (remember alot of time is wasted on not getting a gold/xp tick) so thats 3.3 hours play in the most ideal situation or 16.6 in the most unideal. and remember you will be playing way more on x1 then on x5 in general because of the buildup but lose all system of his multiplicator. just to put it in perspective, if a new player played crpg for 1 hour a day,  and he would be a very unlucky man/woman, he could be forced to play crpg for up to abit over 2 weeks before eny of these theorys of buffer and gear come into play.

Offline Teeth

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2012, 04:08:51 pm »
(remember alot of time is wasted on not getting a gold/xp tick)
Not really, you know you get a double tick in the first minute? One at 6:30 and one at 6:00. Compensates for the bulk of the time wasted. Average multiplier is close to 2 according to popular studies. So thats 8.33 hours for 50k. 50k nets you a decent gear set + a decent buffer. 25k gear and a 25k buffer. Want to compare that to the time it took to get decent equipment in the 2010 version of cRPG?

Furthermore, you need to level anyway, with the same average multiplier you'll be level 22 in those same 8.33 hours. Thats for a new player just when you'll be able to get your first kills. There is not much reason to buy anything than a single cheap sword/spear at the lower levels and some clothes, cause your level will render you ineffective anyway, regardless of the weapon. So the unlucky man or woman needs to play that much anyway before any effectivity starts to show.

People just need to realize that when they saved up 50k they should not buy themselves a nice churburg cuirass.

Offline Patoson

• Marshall
  • Renown: 784
  • Infamy: 138
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2012, 04:14:33 pm »
just play in cheaper armor until you build up a buffer of 40-50k gold, it won't take that long.

This. I used to play with the cheapest gear possible when I needed money, and in a couple of days I earned a lot.

Offline beniliusbob

• Knight
  • Renown: 37
  • Infamy: 22
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Valmaximoron, Osgod, Gorlinquist, Sultan_bin_SHIELDWALL, Toltbhrower
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2012, 04:42:39 pm »
Uh, don't sell your loom point. There's a reason they're worth so much money: loomed items are awesome.

Offline SockpuppetSamurai

• Noble
  • Renown: 13
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2012, 05:18:21 pm »
+1
Thanks for all of those with helpful tips. Something I should have mentioned earlier is that I am not in plate or a "high-end" armor I am currently wearing the Byrnja, (may be misspelled), a nordic footman's helmet and carrying a broad short sword, which is a bit expensive along with a heater shield. I have purchased other equipment to try out, but those have been sold back. The real issue I suppose, is the fact that I am getting charged upkeep nearly every round. I have gone a few rounds in a row with little or no upkeep but then "BAM" I get hit with a very large upkeep for multiple games in a row. I've dropped my gear down to basic leather and sword for quite some time in order to stockpile a bit of gold but I know that I am not helping my team in any way which bothers me probably more than it should. It seems that I may have a bit of bad luck with team placement having recently lost 12 games in a row at 1x and then finally getting to 3x for one game. Overall, I am loving this mod and am addicted to it so much that one of my Eve accounts went two days with an empty training que. :P

Thanks again to those with the constructive replys.

Offline bosco

• Count
  • Renown: 258
  • Infamy: 25
  • cRPG Player
  • Steady...
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2012, 05:20:38 pm »
If you play alot (judging from EVE), you could always leech err I mean grind with shit gear until you reach level 31, then sell one loom point and be set for the next few generations, using those loom points on yourself.

Offline Herr_Thomas

• Baron
  • Renown: 110
  • Infamy: 29
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Wolfgang
« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2012, 05:47:14 pm »
For the 140 WPF reducing upkeep chance, is this affected by your armor weight or just the base stat on your char page?

Oh, and style matters way more than anything else regarding armor.

Offline BlueKnight

• Marshall
  • Renown: 983
  • Infamy: 200
  • If you run, you will only die tired...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2012, 06:02:59 pm »
       Most of you advise people to use cheap gear when x1-x2, Why can't they take their best gear and just win it? When I am at x1 I am trying to fight in heavy gear to win and when I am at x5 I am in good gear as well just to make x5 stand with me. I feel kinda disappointed when I see all my team in peasant gear doing nothing but leeching in fact. During the old good days for me I was in equip worth around 90K and I was still earning gold, because I had an influence on what was going on during the battle.

Always try to think while the battle is on. Some witted men  in shit gear can actually do much better than tincans, even if they aren't any superior warriors.. When you are dead, try following some good guys, because then you can learn from what they are doing. Also try visiting EU 3 for increasing your fighting abilities. There are lots of good guys who are really helpful and can teach you a lot. (I remember that the first person who tried to teach me how to chamber was Ninja_Khorin.) Later you won't have to really think about what you are doing. You will do that subconsciously.

I am boring and suck

Good luck everybody.

BlueKnight

Skyrim UI

Offline MrShine

• Ragdoll Basher
  • King
  • Renown: 1156
  • Infamy: 193
  • Fear the stache
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: MrShine
« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2012, 06:08:39 pm »
Thanks for all of those with helpful tips. Something I should have mentioned earlier is that I am not in plate or a "high-end" armor I am currently wearing the Byrnja, (may be misspelled), a nordic footman's helmet and carrying a broad short sword, which is a bit expensive along with a heater shield. I have purchased other equipment to try out, but those have been sold back. The real issue I suppose, is the fact that I am getting charged upkeep nearly every round. I have gone a few rounds in a row with little or no upkeep but then "BAM" I get hit with a very large upkeep for multiple games in a row. I've dropped my gear down to basic leather and sword for quite some time in order to stockpile a bit of gold but I know that I am not helping my team in any way which bothers me probably more than it should. It seems that I may have a bit of bad luck with team placement having recently lost 12 games in a row at 1x and then finally getting to 3x for one game. Overall, I am loving this mod and am addicted to it so much that one of my Eve accounts went two days with an empty training que. :P

Thanks again to those with the constructive replys.

First off, you're throwing your money away if you are selling back items you've bought.   

Second, what level are you?  I think you start paying upkeep gen 1 at level 25 or something, but before then you should be able to assemble a healthy bit of gold so... I'm not sure what might have happened.

As others have mentioned it is tough starting out as a new player, but as long as you wear moderate to cheap gear you WILL gain gold over time.  Every now and then you get unlucky and take higher repair costs, but trust me you'll gain gold in the long run if you don't go crazy with your cash. 

And I STRONGLY recommend selling your first loom point when you hit level 31.  You can get ~700k gold, more than you could ever need for upkeep unless you plate it out on a plated charger all the time.  Or you could simply buy a +1 loom from the marketplace afterwards and still have gold leftover... or you can sell your second loompoint as well when you retire again, and then you'll have enough gold to buy a +3 item while only playing 2 generations.

I wasn't a new player when the marketplace came out so I had to deal with upkeep the old fashioned way... you young whippersnappers have it easy!
Holy crap I have a youtube gaming channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/MrShine12345

Offline Teeth

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2012, 06:12:42 pm »
For the 140 WPF reducing upkeep chance, is this affected by your armor weight or just the base stat on your char page?
What 140 wpf reducing upkeep chance?

Break chance reduced with wpf in a linear fashion I think, whether you have 139 or 141 wpf doesn't matter much.