Author Topic: The financial struggle of new players.  (Read 3783 times)

Offline SockpuppetSamurai

• Noble
  • Renown: 13
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
The financial struggle of new players.
« on: April 02, 2012, 04:04:35 am »
+3
As a new player I was stoked to have finally saved up enough gold to buy a weapon that wasn't a shoddy noob sword and a suit of armor that helped absorb some of the teamwounding that I seem to receive on a regular basis. I was horrified after the first game when I was docked nearly 1,500 gold for upkeep, more than half of the gold I currently had left. I thought to myself, this is just chanced based and most likely wouldn't happen again for a while, right? It turns out, I was wrong. The second game wearing the same gear I was hit for almost the same amount as the first game emptying my coin purse of all gold except for 37. I was devastated, all of my hard earned gold had been depleted on upkeep costs for my new gear. Now the common answer to this seems to be peasant gear, which really is not a solid solution to the problem that newer players face with upkeep. The second answer seems to be to sell your first heirloom point. This answer of course does not help with trudging through the first painful 31 levels.

At first I thought that the upkeep was needed to keep everyone from using the best gear they could afford at all times. Now I see that it really only hinders newer players. The reason for this is that many of the veteran players have a fairly large amount of gold at their disposal so the upkeep may affect them but to a lesser extent. They can continue wearing higher priced gear and continue paying the higher upkeep due to having the larger amount of gold. The result of this is that the newer players with the less skill, lower levels, and mediocre to low gear are even more of an easy target and for the most part, "cannon fodder".

Is it possible to reduce the amount of upkeep for first generation players so that we can remain semi-competitive until our skills improve?
Is it a bug that I incur upkeep nearly every game, most of which are very large and teetering on the verge of being obscene?

Offline Thanatos

• Noble
  • Renown: 22
  • Infamy: 132
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: The financial struggle of new players.
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 04:07:48 am »
I will give you 5,000g if you become my serf.

Take it or leave it.

Offline Zanze

• Earl
  • Renown: 366
  • Infamy: 69
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
  • Game nicks: Raven_Zan
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 04:09:45 am »
+6
We used to have no upkeep for newer players. People abused it.

Keep in mind, higher tier armors still take a lot of damage from pierce or blunt weapons. Also keep in mind, the vast majority of NA servers rely on heavy strength builds. Expect a lot of damage.

You can't just say I was hit at one point for X damage in my good armor, and roughly the same in my bad. Most likely two different people hit you with different PS. Learn to manage your equipment, Mail and such for 1-2x. Good gear for 3-5x. That will keep you at a good money making spiral.

Offline Gawin

• Count
  • Renown: 192
  • Infamy: 31
  • cRPG Player
  • My pic ^^
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Gawin, Fallen_SantaRudloph, PR_Red_Ranger the leader of the power rangers
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 04:15:42 am »
ill give you 10k if you become my slave.

Offline RibaldRon

• Baron
  • Renown: 144
  • Infamy: 13
  • cRPG Player
  • why do butts
    • View Profile
  • Faction: LLJK
  • Game nicks: LLJK_RibaldRon
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 04:16:02 am »
It's not that bad.  Use a gear loadout of around 25k "worth" of gold,  Upkeep Max should be below 2K gold at the very maximum.  You will slowly gain gold on average with 1X and will gain  more rapidly if you get a multiplier.  If you have REALLY expensive armor, only use it when you have a multiplier or excess gold.

For the most part you will probably want a more expensive weapon, and mid-tier gear such as mail.  Try to cut  back on things you do not use often, lugging around a bow and arrows is a bad idea, if your proficiency is low, and  you already have an expensive weapon you use 90% of the time.  This will help you focus your build, and be stronger in the areas you use most - and if you specialize in one type of weapon, your weapons break less often (based on your WPF skill)

You will have streaks of bad luck,  it sounds like you had one for sure.  Just keep at it, reduce the gear you're using - practice blocking so you don't feel you need to have the heavy armor - and you'll get the hang of it.  Once you have a lump of money you can take care of those unlucky spells.

We used to have no upkeep for newer players. People abused it.
There still is no upkeep for newer players. You have to start paying upkeep in the mid-20's or after you respec.  Basically it doesn't do much.  :lol:

Italicized the nerf that prevented the abuse.
signature removed: annoying
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

USA USA USA

Offline FrugFrug

• Earl
  • Renown: 493
  • Infamy: 59
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: MB Mascot
  • Game nicks: FrugFrug Owl_Beard
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 04:20:45 am »
+2
Throw some Stones up on the market for 75k and I'll buy em  :wink:

edit: make sure you tell me your name though, don't want to buy someone elses stones!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 04:25:08 am by FrugFrug »

Offline a_bear_irl

• Duke
  • Renown: 540
  • Infamy: 252
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 04:29:30 am »
+4
just play in cheaper armor until you build up a buffer of 40-50k gold, it won't take that long. put on chaos banner.
FREE ALLERS

Offline Entaro

• Noble
  • Renown: 13
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • Snowhawk Clan
  • Faction: Snowhawk Clan
  • Game nicks: SHC_Entar
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2012, 04:51:45 am »
Play the Multi

x3-x5 bust out your heavy armor.  x1-x2 keep it light/medium

This will keep you poor for the most part but you'll be able to play fine.  To get rich you need to sell a couple loom points or play the buying/selling metagame that some do.

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2012, 04:57:30 am »
Find a mentor to hang out with. Most players are veterans and have gold enough to equip you decently. Hell, an archer would be willing to have you stand there with a polearm and watch their back for gold donation. They did have a better system for new players, except it was being abused.
Like I said, hang out with somebody and watch their back. They'll upgrade your pitchfork pretty quick  :wink:
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

Offline Herr_Thomas

• Baron
  • Renown: 110
  • Infamy: 29
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Wolfgang
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2012, 06:09:16 am »

Oh, and style matters way more than anything else regarding armor.

Offline Lemmy_Winks

• Count
  • Renown: 241
  • Infamy: 230
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Lemmy_Winks
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2012, 06:28:19 am »
If your melle dont wear plate armor, medium grade chain mail is more than adequate and movement speed is important too. Whatever you wear you have to be able to sustain, so having alot of money due to playing along time has absolutely nothing to do with it at all. I'm like gen 6 and i have about 8k but it doesnt matter as i can sustain it. If i had 500k and was wearing stuff i couldnt afford i would lose all that money eventually, how much money you have on you is meaningless.

Offline FRANK_THE_TANK

• King
  • Renown: 1312
  • Infamy: 339
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • FluckCucker
    • View Profile
  • Faction: A Free and proud Peasant of Fisdnar!!!
  • Game nicks: FRANK_THE_TANK
  • IRC nick: Sippy sip
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2012, 07:09:00 am »
Use peasant gear, get profit.

Try a Volouge, or a QStaff, don't get armor heavier than a Kaftan, Rus Cav Boots leather gloves and a cheap helmet.

You will make loads of cash.
Fammi un pompino!

I think I have ball cancer in my right nut :(
Good news everybody! It's not nut cancer :)
Bad news everybody, I got dumped :(

Offline larlek

• Baron
  • Renown: 140
  • Infamy: 95
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Larlik PooperScooper Larlek
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2012, 07:16:06 am »
Just go naked and use a wooden sword. Enough high lvl players do that already, so there isn't any problem with an actual peasant doing it. As long as you have a weapon you won't get into trouble.

Offline Orbas

• Noble
  • Renown: 10
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Martian_Of_Chaos, LittleGreenMan
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2012, 07:25:32 am »
+3
Isn't this the basis for pretty much any multiplayer online game?  You start off, you don't have anything nor is anything you get worth a damn until you gather levels and experience of the game in general.  The players you speak of that wear the good armor and can afford the upkeep on them is because they have been around a while and have suffered the agonizing leveling through many generations and been able to sell/trade gear and heirloom points.  You can still wear cheaply affordable armor without getting 1-2 shotted depending on your build of course.  I would say, if you are Gen 1 and losing money/being poor above the levels of 20-25 you are doing something wrong unless you play cav.  If you are cav, go throw yourself off a cliff.

(click to show/hide)
"Quiet! Listen, people. This team is not about egos or wardrobes or publicity. It's about handling threats larger than any hero can alone."

Offline Vodner

• Duke
  • Renown: 526
  • Infamy: 73
  • cRPG Player
  • SaulCanner
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SaulCanner
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2012, 07:53:51 am »
Isn't this the basis for pretty much any multiplayer online game?  You start off, you don't have anything nor is anything you get worth a damn until you gather levels and experience of the game in general.  The players you speak of that wear the good armor and can afford the upkeep on them is because they have been around a while and have suffered the agonizing leveling through many generations and been able to sell/trade gear and heirloom points.
Ideally, that shouldn't be the case. The benefit for having played a long time should largely be the practice you get over that time period. The straight-up bonuses you get should be minimal. For weapon looms, this is already the case (fully loomed armor + gloves still give a large bonus, however).
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 07:55:04 am by Vodner »