Author Topic: Manual Block - How do I become a jedi master?  (Read 8146 times)

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Manual Block - How do I become a jedi master?
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2011, 10:33:24 pm »
What's your ping, first of?
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Babelfish

• Knight
  • Renown: 62
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2011, 11:38:42 pm »
Jedi Master: A Jedi Knight may become a Jedi Master after successfully training a Padawan learner to Knight status. Though this is the most common manner, there are other ways of attaining the rank. Also, "Master Jedi" is the common honorific.

Offline Kung Fu Jesus

• Noble
  • Renown: 23
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2011, 07:03:03 am »
What's your ping, first of?

On the regular servers, between 80-100. On the native duel server, its around 150-170.
"My belt holds up my pants and my pants have belt loops that hold up the belt. What the fuck’'s really going on down there? Who is the real hero?" - Mitch

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2011, 12:22:29 pm »
150-170 is too high to do the whole blocking thing normally.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Grey

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 72
  • Infamy: 54
  • cRPG Player
  • Hope you like arrows...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: -
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2011, 12:56:38 pm »
consider a master apprentice relationship with someone willing to train you in the details and concepts to the combat mechanics and physics of the game.

Read whole way through this thread, and this is first answer I completely agree with.

Also, go Native and play public, preferably TDM or DM as you will get more live fighting time for you playtime, and play as an archer. Take a 1h as your sidearm. Every time you get closed on by enemy, go to that 1h. If you can be bothered, dont even bring a bow but keep with archer class, or crossbowman. Once you can reliably beat anyone you come across with a crabby 1h weapon as an archer, you should have nice manual blocking skills.

And one point if not seen mentioned here:

Attacking: They key to making manual blocking possible against one, two, three and on occasions 4 and 5 enemies is taking a break from concentrating on it, and counterattacking. Blocking nonstop vs real enemies who are giving you no space IS impossible if you lock yourself in a defensive stance vs more than a single enemy, they will just attack simultanioulsy from 2 directions.

Only through Counterattacking do you buy yourself the time and space to allow drastic repositioning, room for keeping your enemies herded, and maybe the option to press your attack and lower the odds against you. Lock yourself in a defensive stance in the game mentally and irl physically with your hand movements, and its just a question of how long can you survive untill someone smashes your "steel cage" of blocks.  This said, sometimes a few seconds of total insane steel cage blocking vs 3 enemies does wow them into backing off for a second, giving you room again for the ultimate defensive move, the overhead smash against the unprepared enemy XD.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 12:58:24 pm by Grey »
Bamboo Bundle Bowman: 90'' draw, groups at 200 yards.

Offline Espu

• The good
  • Count
  • Renown: 261
  • Infamy: 33
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Espu
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2011, 09:08:26 am »
..and play as an archer. Take a 1h as your sidearm. Every time you get closed on by enemy, go to that 1h. If you can be bothered, dont even bring a bow but keep with archer class, or crossbowman. Once you can reliably beat anyone you come across with a crabby 1h weapon as an archer, you should have nice manual blocking skills.

Bad idea. That's something to do after getting past the initial steep part of the learning curve to hone  your skills. Making the first steps even harder by playing a melee-gimped character is just stupid.

Try to find someone to tutor you on the duel server. I am always happy to conduct basic blocking training with anyone who asks and I would guess that there are many like me.

Offline Grey

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 72
  • Infamy: 54
  • cRPG Player
  • Hope you like arrows...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: -
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2011, 09:21:36 am »
Bad idea. That's something to do after getting past the initial steep part of the learning curve to hone  your skills. Making the first steps even harder by playing a melee-gimped character is just stupid.

The OP said he HAD mastered blocking but wanted to get it to the "steel cage" state where some people hold off multiples. I learnt to manblock on native that way and was just helping, so you dont gotta stamp my idead as stooopid Vargas.....

Getting someone to help you practise on duel is ok, as long as they way they help us is: Bring a wooden stick, you bring your best armour, and you fight them nonstop, since they can barely hurt you with the stick you can get bashed loads, but, I think the OP is beyond this, I think the OP CAN block just fine, but wants to be Jedi, like, say......ME  :lol:

PS: Joking....im a ninja, Jedi's dont exist *scoffs*
Bamboo Bundle Bowman: 90'' draw, groups at 200 yards.

Offline krampe

• Knight
  • Renown: 29
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Count Palatine of the Rhine
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Pony
  • Game nicks: krampe and the moons
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2011, 12:01:24 pm »
On the regular servers, between 80-100. On the native duel server, its around 150-170.

Tbh that is too high to become a magnetic blocker imo. When i started to play Native MP, i trained manual blocking in SP.
Load your recent savegame (it's easier with a higher char) and go into the arena to fight with zero ping.
Get the nearest enemy with a 2h sword if you don't start with it and kill everybody. (It's great to do stab headons too because the bots always have the perfect range)
If you master that you can see the difference to fight with a ping of 100 and hopefully can cope with it a little bit more.
Sacrum Romanum Imperium

Yeah, well you know, that's just like, your opinion, man.

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2011, 01:54:23 pm »
Another tip, don't just block. If you duel someone, counterattack after blocking. Blocking on its own is useless, you have to combine it with good timing to counterattack succesfully.

Offline Duerkos

• Peasant
  • Renown: 5
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Basileia ton Romaion
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Duerkos
« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2011, 05:54:12 pm »
I have a question about counterattacks. When I block something I usually try to swing my 2h, because of my noobinesh usually its a predictable right side slash and my opponent blocks it. But sometimes, after blocking I attack as fast as I can and my opponent just attacks faster than I , so I'm the one who gets hit.

Why is that? Should I press the attack button while holding block and then release both at the same time? It bugs me a lot when that kind of thing happens.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2011, 05:56:21 pm »
Footwork, most likely. He has positioned himself so that he can get another attack off.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Trippin

• Noble
  • Renown: 17
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2011, 12:18:22 am »
I have a question about counterattacks. When I block something I usually try to swing my 2h, because of my noobinesh usually its a predictable right side slash and my opponent blocks it. But sometimes, after blocking I attack as fast as I can and my opponent just attacks faster than I , so I'm the one who gets hit.

Why is that? Should I press the attack button while holding block and then release both at the same time? It bugs me a lot when that kind of thing happens.

You can always counter attack after you parry (unless your weapon is a greathammer and you have 3 agility). If his range is longer than yours, he can of course get a hit off on you if he uses proper positioning and footwork. Read my earlier post, it's why I suggested you learn footwork before you learn to block.

Offline Pdogg5954

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2011, 03:02:14 am »
RMB blocking is unnecessary and useless in most situations, chamber blocking and going on the offense is more important.  The RMB is only for when you get chamber-blocked yourself, which you should prevent.

EDIT:  Unless of course you want to become good at blocking just to show off, then everyone above has got it about covered.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 03:04:23 am by Pdogg5954 »

Offline IG_Saint

• Count
  • Renown: 196
  • Infamy: 20
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: IG
« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2011, 03:08:35 am »
RMB blocking is unnecessary and useless in most situations, chamber blocking and going on the offense is more important.  The RMB is only for when you get chamber-blocked yourself, which you should prevent.

EDIT:  Unless of course you want to become good at blocking just to show off, then everyone above has got it about covered.

Are you US? I get the feeling there's much more chambering on the US servers than EU. I only know a handfull of people on EU that can chamber decently and even then they don't use it that much in battle.

Offline woody

• Earl
  • Renown: 407
  • Infamy: 138
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Woody, Weebo, Wreky
« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2011, 03:20:54 am »
To earlier question re why cant you counter - I got told by native clan that its because vs held attack/hvy weapon you need to block twice - theres a kind of stun effect after first block. If you try to counter immediately you just get hit again. I seem to find it works as long as I remember and dont arse the blocks up.