Author Topic: Why is my One Handed so slow?  (Read 10023 times)

Offline Mlekce

• Earl
  • Renown: 454
  • Infamy: 367
  • cRPG Player
  • Remove kebab
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard, ex Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Mlekce, Sergius
  • IRC nick: Mlekce
Re: Why is my One Handed so slow?
« Reply #45 on: March 30, 2012, 09:00:55 pm »
Yeah, that makes a ton of sense.

Alternatively, learn footwork, timing and use a long one handed sword.

are you fucking retarded or you are just trolling me? I wrote that he need to get more athletic and then get shorter weapon.

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2012, 10:33:30 pm »
No, you wrote that he fails because of reach and then suggested that he gets a shorter weapon.
It is absolutely not a retarded idea to suggest to a newbie to use a super short weapon that he will be struggling to hit enemies with :rolleyes:

Offline Fazar

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 30, 2012, 10:36:43 pm »
No, you wrote that he fails because of reach and then suggested that he gets a shorter weapon.
It is absolutely not a retarded idea to suggest to a newbie to use a super short weapon that he will be struggling to hit enemies with :rolleyes:

It was a speed issue I suffered from.  People with two handers hitting me before I hit them when Im basically hugging them.

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #48 on: March 30, 2012, 10:42:49 pm »
It was a speed issue I suffered from.  People with two handers hitting me before I hit them when Im basically hugging them.

2h swords will often sway from side to side to do whats called 'castoring' which can beat your swings.  DO not play their game, and try to not face hug them closely, but stay within your weapons range.  This will help you avoid the 'hiltslash' moves (getting hit by the first couple inches of a very long blade) that are taking advantage of weak game animations/mechanics

I would recommend you learn with a longer 1h weapon like a sword, dont go below 90 reach if you are learning.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 30, 2012, 10:58:38 pm »
If you feel too slow, you don't use your left swing enough.

About 50% (just throwing numbers) of your close range moves should be left swings, the others being overheads or stabs if your weapon can stab. Never, never, never (never) in any circumstances use the right swing in any situation that does not force you to have a better reach than the left swing. Furthermore, it requires only minimal turning.

As other people said, a 1h with stab is a bad choice for a beginner, as it requires careful positioning and the most violent spinstabbing to avoid death sentence bounces.

Other than that, level 25 is not enough to grasp what you can really do with a shielder. You would be ok with a 2h or pole guy, because these ones have the easiest time getting cheap melee kills due to damage and reach advantages. So globally I would advise beginners to go 2h or polearm at first, because they won't really need to block that often if they stick with their team, and can do some killing faster.

Offline GauisMarius

• Knight
  • Renown: 25
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Norse Horde
  • Game nicks: NH_Uhtred
« Reply #50 on: March 31, 2012, 03:29:50 am »
Lighter weight gear also helps I believe.

Offline Son Of Odin

• King
  • Renown: 1856
  • Infamy: 338
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Sky belongs to Asagods as long as the raven flies.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Son_Of_Odin
« Reply #51 on: March 31, 2012, 03:50:00 am »
Just don't listen to Mlecke. I think he hasn't quite figured out this problem himself either :mrgreen:
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 03:56:45 am by Son Of Odin »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

There is no sight in my third eye

Offline ZEE_BISHOP

• Knight
  • Renown: 38
  • Infamy: 7
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 31, 2012, 12:33:13 pm »
Generally shielders are more team orientated, you'll be the guy distracting the enemy / saving friends / taking arrows to save others / leading the way in tricky defensive spots / surviving slightly longer in some situations. The average shielder will not get as many kills as the average 2H player.

I like the build 21/18 personally. 21/15 is a solid beginner build, but it's a team based build -- You will be kyted like hell by people and you will find yourself missing hits and being spammed.

People advise you to avoid 2Hers because they can out damage you, outspam you, outreach you and outrun you. Well, you can't avoid someone who comprises 70% of the melee force on your enemies side and can run faster than you due to not lugging a shield around. Sure, run away when you're outnumbered and stick with your team, but the reality is you need a bit more speed to deal with these people sooner or later.

You're inherently outclassed as a 1H. Your weapon, being lighter, will be stunned when blocking by heavier weapons. With its lower reach, you'll have to block at least 2 times when approaching someone with a 2H / pole arm weapon before you can hit them back. Your fastest and most used attack mode (left swing) is also incredibly predictable.

You need 18 AGI, 6 ath and 6 WM (if possible) to keep up with the big boys if you want to be able to stand on your own two feet on the battlefield (Do not get below 7 PS or you'll weep when using cutting weapons). Wearing lighter armour will make you a bit faster, but it's a double edged sword. You'll die faster and while "MY SHIELD IS MY ARMOUR HERP DERP" it's simply impossible to not get some hits when dancing around with a group on you. but 21/18 allows you to dodge and weave in group situations like a boss, it allows you to keep up with the big boys and deal serious damage when you get there and it allows you to bob in and out of combat with people who are used to being the fastest.

Get good at manual blocking and shove your shield on your back in 1v1 situations, especially vrs an axe user. Only use your shield when ranged are attacking you or you're taking on multiple people who you believe would get free hits on you if you were to manual block in that situation. Your shield slows you down, movement wise and swing wise.

Weapon wise, I prefer to get as close to or above 100 range as possible and the same with speed. Range will help with swing speed too, you'll find yourself moving forward a little less often which means you're not giving up your "swing turn" to the 2h'd AGI spammer backpeddling you meaning he cannot spam you with impunity. As others have said, weapons that don't stab are good starters such as the Elite scimitar or scimitar because you won't accidentally pop off a failed stab attack which will whiff and make you rage like a man possessed -- They're also fast, long and hit hard (they have the added bonus of being curved too which is deceptive and people misjudge your range, you seem to whiff less closer to people as well). Personally I like the Nordic war sword / Nordic champion sword.

It might be worth getting 2 throwing skill and 50~ wpf in throwing. You'll be amazed at how helpful a stack of war darts or a couple of francisca throwing axes is as a 1H player. You won't sacrifice too many skill points (maybe loose out on ironflesh and maybe drop to 4 shield skill). But what you'll gain is the ability to get kills on people from a distance (Granted, not often with that low throwing). But most importantly, you'll have the threat of range, this means you can let a AGI spamming back peddler walk back like the monkey that he is and pull out your throwing weapon. This puts him in a dilemma as he has to come back to you or leave you alone. Horses will avoid you like the plague too, and you'll have a handy weapon to kill or stun archers who are running away from you. Beware of the extra weight they cost though.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 12:57:57 pm by ZEE_BISHOP »

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 31, 2012, 04:27:35 pm »
dont bother with throwing for a generation or 2, just adds more complexity and you'll end up getting yourself killed far more often that you actually hit or kill enemies.

also the part about putting your shield on your back is crap.  leave that stupid stuff for the autoblockers. a GOOD shielder will rarely put his shield away.

Offline ZEE_BISHOP

• Knight
  • Renown: 38
  • Infamy: 7
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 01, 2012, 03:05:31 am »
dont bother with throwing for a generation or 2, just adds more complexity and you'll end up getting yourself killed far more often that you actually hit or kill enemies.

also the part about putting your shield on your back is crap.  leave that stupid stuff for the autoblockers. a GOOD shielder will rarely put his shield away.

What are you talking about? A good 1 hander doesn't need to waste his shield in 1v1's. If you've taken a shield because you can't manual block, then you've chosen 1H for the wrong reasons. Sure waste your shield for no reason if you want, I guess the floor is littered with shields from 1H shielders who tried to chase back peddling 2H sworders

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 01, 2012, 03:11:30 am »
What are you talking about? A good 1 hander doesn't need to waste his shield in 1v1's. If you've taken a shield because you can't manual block, then you've chosen 1H for the wrong reasons. Sure waste your shield for no reason if you want, I guess the floor is littered with shields from 1H shielders who tried to chase back peddling 2H sworders

guess you fail to take into account WHO is asking for advice.  telling a new player to put his shield on his back to fight 2h'er is about the stupidest advice you could give.

the advice is..dont chase fast 2h users.  Keep your shield up and look for teammates for help or just rope-e-dope until help arrives.  practice on duel server how to fight agi whore 2h'ers

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #56 on: April 01, 2012, 03:20:33 am »
+1
Just gonna put it here. 2h is the easiest class. That simple. The only thing you need to learn is manual blocking (that being said, all classes need that, and it's pretty much M&B:Warband 101 to learn it), and that's it. It's also probably the best to learn the game with, because it forces you to learn to manual block, you can still help out, even though you are bad, and it is more forgiving with mistakes.

And to the people I know are gonna complain...

No. I am not saying 2h is OP, or eazymode or anything. All I'm saying is that it's the easiest class, to do "well" in. The class you need the least skill in to still be useful. The end.

For the record: The class that is the MOST powerful in the hands of a super-player, would be polearm. It's slightly harder, but can also be slightly more effective. I'm a 1h/archer, btw.
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 01, 2012, 05:50:51 pm »
Just gonna put it here. 2h is the easiest class.The only thing you need to learn is manual blocking, and that's it.
It's not that easy. I remember being amazed at two last players of a team, top players, exchanging a dozen swings and blocking the bulk of em. The chat was filled with people saying 'wow, how the fuck do you do that?' The average manual blocking skill slowly increased to the ridiculously high point where its at now. For months after the release shielder was by far the easiest class, even disregarding the missile blocking capabilities.

For a new player to become an effective 2h takes hours and hours of practice. Whereas being effective at ranged takes a handful of hours to adapt to the missile speed and the missile drop. Its just that this game is addictive as crack that most people easily spend hundreds of hours into this game and learn blocking very well.

The class you need the least skill in to still be useful. The end.
This is just complete bullshit. Give a new player a 2h and he will die as soon as he is targeted, give a new player a shield and he does much better. Or a horse and a lance for that matter. Or a bow or crossbow.

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
  • Renown: 794
  • Infamy: 164
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rustyspoon, Sir_Rusty_Of_Spoon, Rusty_the_Spoonarian
« Reply #58 on: April 01, 2012, 05:58:07 pm »
+2
It's not that easy. I remember being amazed at two last players of a team, top players, exchanging a dozen swings and blocking the bulk of em. The chat was filled with people saying 'wow, how the fuck do you do that?' The average manual blocking skill slowly increased to the ridiculously high point where its at now. For months after the release shielder was by far the easiest class, even disregarding the missile blocking capabilities.

For a new player to become an effective 2h takes hours and hours of practice. Whereas being effective at ranged takes a handful of hours to adapt to the missile speed and the missile drop. Its just that this game is addictive as crack that most people easily spend hundreds of hours into this game and learn blocking very well.
This is just complete bullshit. Give a new player a 2h and he will die as soon as he is targeted, give a new player a shield and he does much better. Or a horse and a lance for that matter. Or a bow or crossbow.

Still, I  recommend that new players start with 2handers. Sure, you'll die a lot more but you'll become a better player faster than if you are a 1-hander.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 01, 2012, 07:52:45 pm »
+2
I wouldn't say that. A newbie shielder is easily the least dangerous class in the game. Most of those can't even return attacks and mostly just get in the way of their allies, being more of a burden than a boon to their team. A newbie 2her can jump into a clusterfuck and hit stuff for lots of damage.