Author Topic: An opinion concerning the discussion of "ra(n)gefest" - But in another direction  (Read 5364 times)

Offline Tristan

• Count
  • Renown: 200
  • Infamy: 52
  • cRPG Player
  • Listen to wisdom!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild (Guards)
  • Game nicks: Guard_Tristan
  • IRC nick: Guard_Tristan
The rangefest thread is on to something. We are experiencing far to many projectiles in the fresh air of cRPG. Nerf, don't nerf, throwers, xbows and archers can be discussed eternally. I, however, believe that the problem is to be solved elsewhere.

Kesh was on to it (I think), but never made the connection to the above problem. But I believe it is a greater factor than anything for the rangespam we are experiencing.

What am I talking about?

Hybrids and ability to use several weapontypes without focussing on it.

I don't mind dedicated shooters, they are few and far between and generally well balanced, but when they are able to take out shields, great weapons and what not, and fight as effectively as the focussed types something is wrong.

It's important for me to underline, that I don't want to remove hybrids. They fun, and they should be there. But rght now everything is melee/shooter hybrids.

IMO a hybrid should be a jack of all trades, but not as good as a person who focussed.

Another problem is weapons that achieve effectiveness with little or no invested points in them.

What can be done?

) I believe something should be done with wpf so that hybrids is not the only solution. Some tinkering here might do the job.

) Make polearms and 2 handed weapons use two slots. This way we won't see archers with weapons of death. Use a 1h weapon no shield for sidearm. Twohanders have to choose shield or shooty. etc.

) I have not yet figured out a way how to limit the shielder/1h/xbow/thrower type... But maybe you can?

What say you?

regards.
He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief. He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened his mouth.

Offline AgentQ

• Noble
  • Renown: 11
  • Infamy: 6
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
) Make polearms and 2 handed weapons use two slots. This way we won't see archers with weapons of death. Use a 1h weapon no shield for sidearm. Twohanders have to choose shield or shooty. etc.

This is an interesting idea, but is it feasible?

Offline RamsesXXIIX

• Count
  • Renown: 252
  • Infamy: 65
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Yes, I prey on the weak.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Ramses
I think its hardcoded, but maybe you can do it with that WSE (Warband Script Enhancer) they were talking about at one time.

Anyway, another solution could simply make melee weapons require PS

Offline Raskolnikov

• Peasant
  • Renown: 4
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Or, how about just removing a weapon slot? A reduction from 4 slots to 3 would still allow for hybrids, but would force them to consider their weapon choice more carefully.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
So we want to make taking castles in seiges a breeze then?

My apologies but people will still rage extremely hard even if my Archer is not allowed a 2Her. They will rage when I headshot them or sink an arrow into them, failing to realize that I wasted a few more arrows and significant time to score that hit. 2Hers and polearm users want to be better in melee then 1Hers yet still be as arrow proof, and 1Hers want to be arrow proof without being slowed down by holding the block button.

The general concensus on these boards is that anytime anyone hits you with anything from range, and it takes more then a 5th of your health, it is unwanted.

I think what people really want is Archers, Throwers and Crossbowmen to be as rare as cavalry, but conflictingly, less powerful as well.

I think the cRPG community now has a Melee mentality, where anytime a range person "interrupts" the fight they are in, they get ticked off.

I honestly think the best solution for lowering complaints is to remove all range entirely (Of course, this would require a complete revamp of seiges).

Range in cRPG is akin to Shoguns, rocket launchers and Sniper rifles in an FPS; instant rage inducing weapons.

The following is how I can justify not nerfing range any further, at least for crossbowmen and archers. I still think throwing needs a nerf (maybe a soft nerf, maybe a hard nerf, I am undecided)

The EU servers have this beautiful ability to track stats in an amazing fashion, or at least one of the servers do. Certain players will know what I am talking about. It shows a bunch of pie charts showing a staggering amount of data, including what killed you during your entire lifespan. The average kills for players from range is pathetic at most, usually in the single digits, while 2Hers range from a quarter to a third all by themselves.

Would someone do me a huge favor and post a few of those here, in this thread, so that everyone else can see what I am talking about?

Before we nerfed range because it was absurd how dangerous it was. So fast you could not dodge, it hit like a truck, and it had extremely high accuracy. You were dodging ballistic missiles if the archer was the proper build. Headshot or no headshot, they killed often. I can see nerfing this.

Now though, we face range that almost never tops the scoreboards. I only see extremely skilled players top the scoreboards with range. One can argue that this is because range is a support class and has finally been relegated to it now. But the question is, why nerf it any farther then?

The reason why you see so much range is not because it is OP (Otherwise with the amount of players using it, you melee and cav players would be dead rather quickly and be at the bottom of the scoreboards instead of the top). The reason why you see so much range is because a lot of players prefer this play style. Just as some players use a sword and shield or a 2Her or a cav or a pike because that is how they enjoy the game the most, this same reason pops up for crossbowmen and archers.

Yes, the air is thick with projectiles, but considering the vast majority miss, I fail to see how this is a problem. We can continue nerfing range until it only kills once out of every quiver and people will still call for a nerf if a skilled archer takes them out.

I personally am sick of facing the STR builds that one or two shot everything they hit, but I accept that it is part of the game, and that is how they designed their characters. I also know that those character have a weakness (range).

EDIT: Removing a weapon slot is absurd, though I am completely for adding a PS requirement for melee weapons. This would curb a lot of problems.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 05:37:09 pm by Tears_of_Destiny »
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline jspook

• Noble
  • Renown: 17
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • Auphan
  • Game nicks: Pit
Anyway, another solution could simply make melee weapons require PS

I think this is probably the most valid solution.  Think about it:

bows require power draw
javelins and axes require power throw
horses require riding
Shields require Shield

why dont mele weapons require Power Strike?
All they require is strength, which is crazy.  because every build out there gets a significant amount of strength in the end game.

Archers should have to choose between PS and PD, and it should be a hard choice.  This makes them able to defend themselves, but they would have to stick with the mostly lower tiered weapons as they could probably only get PS 3 or 4 with their archer builds.

If you added (or converted) pd to the weapons, it would most likely fall in line with the current strength requirements.  the only difference being that you need to spend the PS points as well to use it.  IE:

Miaodao
10 str
3 PS

Highland Claymore
15 str
5 PS

Flamberge
18 str
6 PS
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 05:51:50 pm by jspook »
"Scissors needs a nerf because he beats me every time, but rock is just fine" - paper

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
    • View Profile
    • NADS
I am all for the suggestion of the above poster.

This will actually properly correct the problems that arise when an archer takes out an absurd weapon and cleans your clock with it.

But this will still create rage amongst the uninformed.
My archer has 10PD AND 7PS. I can and will still beat the holy hell out of people. Granted, I took many sacrifices (135-ish archery wpf and 0 athletics and 1 wpf in everythign else) but people will still rage when I kill them.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline jspook

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • Auphan
Those are still the hard choices you made to get there with that build.  and you have obvious drawbacks.  I have absolutely no problems with that.
"Scissors needs a nerf because he beats me every time, but rock is just fine" - paper

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
    • View Profile
    • NADS
Those are still the hard choices you made to get there with that build.  and you have obvious drawbacks.  I have absolutely no problems with that.

Well yes, you do, but the majority of the players are not as sane as you, and will instantly cry "BS" in the game when I clean the clock of an unsuspecting dedicated melee who was expecting a weak melee archer.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 05:51:09 pm by Tears_of_Destiny »

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
The Power Strike requirement is awesome. Only problem that it won't effect the "spammability" of crossbows, because they are not skill related. I still think about a Crossbow Expertise skill. What about you, guys?

I mean, everything is skill related, only poor xbow is left out from the party, sitting alone watching the last moments of the sunset at the beach.. Oh wait, wrong section.  :)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 05:54:25 pm by Christo »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline jspook

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • Auphan
the requirement for crossbows are pretty much balanced out by the super long reload times.  There really isnt any such thing as crossbow spam.  seriously.  Its not that big of a problem.  I would, however, like to see the wpf for crossbows have some serious effects on how they are used.  right now they are too damn accurate with only 1 wpf.

It should be wildly inaccurate (no matter what crossbow you have) unless you have a significant amount of wpf.

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
the requirement for crossbows are pretty much balanced out by the super long reload times.  There really isnt any such thing as crossbow spam.  seriously.  Its not that big of a problem.  I would, however, like to see the wpf for crossbows have some serious effects on how they are used.  right now they are too damn accurate with only 1 wpf.

It should be wildly inaccurate (no matter what crossbow you have) unless you have a significant amount of wpf.

Good suggestion. Crossbow's "learning curve" should be a lot more steep.

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
    • View Profile
    • NADS
Good suggestion. Crossbow's "learning curve" should be a lot more steep.

Agreed, already they have a high cost and slow reload time, but the wpf curve is lackluster.

Offline ManOfWar

• Count
  • Renown: 243
  • Infamy: 36
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • No crutches at all!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Remnants
  • Game nicks: Remnant_ManOfWar (Formerly Takeda)
  • IRC nick: ManOfWar
I applaud all the posters in this thread
Just a soldier

Offline Chasab

• Peasant
  • Renown: 7
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
wall of text about not wanting to nerf range

The issue isn't about dedicated people who are range fighters. The issue is its TOO EASY to be a hybrid, and being a hybrid is too good not to do. On any map every round, i will get hit by some sort of projectile. its 100% guaranteed. we have archers/crossbowers. Each of them has 2 sets of bolts for enough arrows to not run out during the round AND some form of melee weapon often times a weapon that easily kills anyone.

then you have the people who focus on melee weapons, but they also put 1 point in PT and now they chuck axes and darts all over the place. Last night a guy hit me with 2 javs, and by the time i got near him he pulled out his triple loomed crush through weapon, i go to block(why bother right?) crush through and i'm dead. so i can either hang back and let him throw at me, or i can try and engage them up close which is when they pull out this huge unblockable weapon looneytoons style.

what needs to happen is people need to make a tough choice, do you want to be a glass cannon and do alot of damage, but are easy to kill? or do you want to be hard to kill, do alot of damage, but have minimal protection? Right now, we have a lot of people running around as tank-mages(UO reference) hard to kill, Tons of damage at range, Tons of damage up close.