Author Topic: Which Poleaxe?  (Read 2957 times)

Offline Mallets

• Earl
  • Renown: 394
  • Infamy: 22
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Mallets and his family
Which Poleaxe?
« on: March 26, 2012, 03:55:28 am »
I'm having trouble deciding which Poleaxe to purchase... the (Basic) Poleaxe, the German Poleaxe, or the Elegant Poleaxe?  The all seem to offer something a little different (this one dmg, this one length, this one speed).  I know the simple answer is to purchase them all and try out which on I like best.  But that's quite expensive.  I may have to end up doing so... but I'd like to be educated for my first pick.

I know it all comes down to preference and matter of opinion.  But that's exactly what I'm looking for.  In your opinion... from your own experience... which weapon would you recommend?  And please, if possible, just give some details as to why you prefer it.  And even better... give details why you prefer it over the other Poleaxes (if you've played with multiple).

Oh, and any odd info about Poleaxes (and how they work) that a would help someone who's never used them... would be greatly appreciated!
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 04:01:14 am by Mallets »

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
Re: Which Poleaxe?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 04:04:01 am »
Elegant is the worst imo, regular poleaxe is the best. lolstabs with that length and pierce damage is great. A bit better than the german's small speed and cut advantage, but the german's also a decent choice
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline Torben

• King
  • Renown: 2011
  • Infamy: 352
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • still prepare to get sexed
    • View Profile
  • Faction: by my overly nerfed heavy lance.
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 04:04:49 am »
put up a request on the market and ill give you an elegant for a few days
Yes, I know from whence I came! Discontented as a flame, Upon myself I live and glow. All I grasp like lightning flashes, All I leave behind is ashes
Flame I am - that much I know!

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Lactose_the_intolerant

• Earl
  • Renown: 460
  • Infamy: 71
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Byzantium the intolerant, lactose_the_...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 01:13:10 pm »
+2
I have a poleaxe and an elegant poleaxe, both of them are mighty

the elegant poleaxe is really underated, but it is, imo, a very good polearm!

if you compare it to the other poleaxes, it's the fastest one, you can spam it pretty well, do chambers and you can go insane in clustefucks. it's secondary mode isnt too slow-blunt, knockdown) so it's usable. it consider taking more agi orientaded build for this one

but its true the poleaxe is the master, insane damage and a really dood range

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 01:37:26 pm »
Basic Poleaxe = the best

Offline HUSTLER

• Noble
  • Renown: 19
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 01:50:05 pm »
Elegant poleaxe is the best imho its fast an deadly an really good for feinting attacks with. If you are a decent manuel blocker its a beast you can close the range gab an get down to buisness  :wink:

Regular poleaxe have the extra reach an a good stab but is slow.... -3 speed rating compared to the elegant is noticeable but u have a bit more reach  :? might aswell use a glaive for that purpose if you depend on range control.

German poleaxe is just a hybrid between the elegant an regular poleaxe it has the dmg of the regular poleaxe but not the reach an its nowhere near as fast as the elegant poleaxe..  :rolleyes: but daymn it looks sexy  :lol:
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 01:54:09 pm by HUSTLER »
Stop nerfing shit, learn to counter a weapons strengths and learn some tactics.

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 02:20:36 pm »
I picked the German poleaxe mostly just because it doesn't make you look like a sissy. It's a real man's axe. I tried the others whenever I saw one masterworked on the floor, but never could get used to them. The Elegant poleaxe has too low damage and I could get hits in easily with the German so I didn't need more speed. The Poleaxe just felt weird to me and people blocked me so easily. German poleaxe was kind off a random pick at first, but became my favourite polearm over time.

Use the rightswing, its an awesome attack. Best thing is you can feint it until very late in the animation and do a very quick follow up hit. That gets a lot of people. Just try the German, as it is kinda middle ground. If you think you are too slow and can't hit people, then either practice more or get the Elegant. If you feel like you need some more length, get the Poleaxe. If you feel okay on length and speed stay with the German, cause that damage is sweet!

Offline Grumbs

• طالبان
  • King
  • Renown: 1170
  • Infamy: 617
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2012, 02:28:43 pm »
OP you are quite new to the game right? I wouldn't go for a poleaxe right away, I'd try to become proficient with a regular axe or stabbing weapon first. Otherwise you might feel like you're haemorrhaging money on repairs (all are 1k+ every time it breaks) without really being able to use the weapon to its full potential. For me having good ability in all areas (stab, length, swing, shield breaker) is a luxury rather than a necessity, and you pay for it with repairs/slower swing speed.

You could get a Long Bardiche which is basically a Poleaxe but without the strong stab but better swing damage. Or Long War Axe/ Great long axe and you are better than German Poleaxe on the swings (shorter length but its not much). If you want to play a stabbing weapon there are lots of choices, even with shield breaker stat (Swiss Halbard).

So I would get a poleaxe just to try them out when you want, but have some other shield breakers too to use if you feel its not worth the extra repairs while you practice

On topic of which is best though, I think it depends on your style. Poleaxe if you want to stab a lot (and polearm stab is very fast and lethal), german poleaxe for the stronger swings and speed. I never tried Elegant, its stats just don't look that good to me
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 02:32:46 pm by Grumbs »
If you have ranged troubles use this:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Lactose_the_intolerant

• Earl
  • Renown: 460
  • Infamy: 71
  • Byzantium the intolerant, lactose_the_...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2012, 02:59:58 pm »
It is good to find different opinion on the poleaxes! i could never get my grip on the german!

All comes to you, your playstyle, the look you like

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2012, 03:03:01 pm »
Long Bardiche is the best poleaxe. Although a recent patch makes it no longer rear horses on thrust (1 length too short).

Offline Vexus

• Count
  • Renown: 198
  • Infamy: 41
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Deus_Mortis
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2012, 03:13:22 pm »
Elegant poleaxe was good in the past but nowadays the only benefit it has is the speed, the damage it has is crappy which is unfortunate.

I would go with the German poleaxe tough the poleaxe is great too.

Offline Mallets

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2012, 07:43:20 pm »
Thanks to everyone for all the great info!  I'm going to start with the German, and then will move to the Regular if it doesn't suit me.

OP you are quite new to the game right? I wouldn't go for a poleaxe right away, I'd try to become proficient with a regular axe or stabbing weapon first. Otherwise you might feel like you're haemorrhaging money on repairs (all are 1k+ every time it breaks)

Great advice!  Thanks!  And though I'm new (and do suck), I do have several other weapon/armor combinations that I use when I'm only at x1 multiplier (Awpike, Long Hafted Blade, etc.).
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 08:11:02 pm by Mallets »

Offline Cup1d

• Count
  • Renown: 167
  • Infamy: 54
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercs
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2012, 07:47:58 pm »
Elegant poleaxe has best secondary mode. Blunt damage + knockdown + still balanced.
But TBH it's too expensive. I think that Elegant must cost about 12-13k

Offline Mallets

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2012, 08:10:37 pm »
Elegant poleaxe has best secondary mode. Blunt damage + knockdown + still balanced.

Does the normal Poleaxe have the same Secondary mode?  Does it give Knockdown?

And from what I know, the secondary mode on the German allows you to do Pierce damage, correct?  If that's the case, then why would I ever use it in the primary mode... to do cut damage (which is weaker than pierce)?  Do the animations... or speeds change?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 08:13:37 pm by Mallets »

Offline Cup1d

• Count
  • Renown: 167
  • Infamy: 54
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercs
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2012, 08:40:33 pm »
every poleaxe has secondary mode, but also all poleaxes loose some speed in seconary mode.

In case of German - 31 pierce in secondary mode without any bonus is'nt better than 42 cut with shieldbreking.
In case of Poleaxe - It's already slowest poleaxe, so penalty speed in secondary mode make it too slow IMHO.
Since Elegant is fastest polearm secondary mode penalty does'nt hurt it so much.