Poll

yes, good idea
no, not desired

Author Topic: armour health, soak, balance and realism.  (Read 1250 times)

Offline owens

• Earl
  • Renown: 436
  • Infamy: 389
  • cRPG Player
  • PK_BALLA
    • View Profile
    • Our Website
  • Faction: Persian Kittens
  • Game nicks: PK's nice guy
  • IRC nick: PK world tour pm to donate
armour health, soak, balance and realism.
« on: March 26, 2012, 02:50:56 am »
+5
Armour balance.

I am not happy with the way heavy armours work. I would like to propose that they work a little like shields in that they have both armour and health.

That is right i am proposing that some armours not only top tier armours incorporate an element of health that is they absorb some damage as well as supplying armour this soak would have a limit and be largely ignored by pierce (daggers do not damage armour just the guy in it it).

This would allow for another element of game balance as some armours could have less armour values then there counterparts but more soak. Armour values would have to be tweaked (a general drop in armour). I imagine that some armours deflect and others cushion like the current shields we are using this could be reflected. This is realism and is easily balanced.

yes or no

PK is back

PK is a collection of elites from throughout modern and ancient history. Giants of Calradia individually, as a group these gods of combat shatter all expectations and ascend to a higher plain of victory that only a few have seen before.

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
Re: armour health, soak, balance and realism.
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 07:41:09 am »
interesting idea.  The term you are looking for ablative btw

would armors need to show dmg or make some sort of alternative sound if they are losing affectiveness?

Offline owens

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
  • PK_BALLA
    • View Profile
    • Our Website
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 10:19:19 am »
I imagine that you healthbar would have a green or blue section representing your armour.
PK is back

PK is a collection of elites from throughout modern and ancient history. Giants of Calradia individually, as a group these gods of combat shatter all expectations and ascend to a higher plain of victory that only a few have seen before.

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 11:44:25 pm »
I think it's cool that you used checkboxes, so I can neutralize my own vote.

Also, I think your idea merits further investigation at least. I'm so sick of getting pummeled to death by cheap hackblades like a katana. I want my deflections back.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline owens

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
  • PK_BALLA
    • View Profile
    • Our Website
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 04:18:07 am »
Bump.

I had a thought about this suggestion and i reasoned that blunt weapons should wreck certain armours plate would take damage while protecting its wearer where as soft shell armours such as mail and padded armours should only soften the blow (work like out current armours) without taking damage. Mail should take damage from arming swords(often serrated to tear mail) and pierce weapons. Plate should be very resistant to sword blows but weak against high weight and certain pierce weapons(daggers, x-bow, morning-stars and swords in polearm mode).

This way RPing as a heavy knight will be badass again. And the weapon teirs will mean less with some cheap plate armours (fat plate, black plate) filtering down due to high weight and very low resistance to blunt.

I don't know if this is possible with the game engine but it would be great if armour was a tactical decision as well as a personal preference. Imagine a team of plate wearers getting smashed by a team carrying maces as well as swords. Some players may choose to carry a sword,axe, mace and pick to deal with most melee fighters.

The best will still win but team work will become more important with certain classes getting a statistical buff but being far more easily countered. eg killing  iron man with a small sword will once again be difficult but killing one with a morningstar or maul still easy
PK is back

Offline Spawny

• Count
  • Renown: 152
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Templar_Spawny
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2012, 10:03:09 am »
Very interesting idea.

I'm not a plate user, but I always found it strange I could kill a noob in plate by hitting him with a tiny sword.

This would actually force me to carry a blunt weapon with me. It could also make the secondary mode on a number of weapons actually usefull (changing damage type from cut to pierce/blunt).

The problem is even if you are number 1 in NA you are still only number 467 in EU or the worst in AUS(number 17)

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2012, 06:17:23 pm »
Interesting idea. Would take some balance testing. It seems that depending on the numbers involved, in some situations, it might be better to take a medium armor. Not certain and haven't done the math. Nice thought process nonetheless.
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

Offline OpenPalm

• Baron
  • Renown: 123
  • Infamy: 18
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Thes
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2012, 06:22:37 pm »
I like this idea.
Quote from: Smoothrich
Racism against our chinese gold grinding brothers.

Offline Elindor

• King
  • Renown: 1178
  • Infamy: 158
  • Caelitus mihi vires
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Order of the Holy Guard
  • Game nicks: Elindor
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2012, 08:34:16 pm »
Also like this idea...interesting no one has posted negatively to this yet...was almost certain someone would oppose this vehemently
Elindor, Archon of the Holy Guard
Holy Guard Thread :HERE
Banner Shop : HERE // Map Thread : HERE

Offline HUtH

• Baron
  • Renown: 94
  • Infamy: 28
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2012, 09:24:30 pm »
I think I'm on it. However it'd require some good balancing... and there is a problem that everyone would carry some pierce or blunt weapon to have any chance with tincans. Maybe arms, legs and head would be still more or less vulnerable to cut dmg?
Sorry
for
my
terrible
English

Offline owens

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
  • PK_BALLA
    • View Profile
    • Our Website
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2012, 09:40:52 am »
The fact is that weight, slots and cost will prevent people carrying many different weapons and if they do they still have to be better players. Thick mail and padded armours would be effected differently by blunt, soaking and injuring the wearer but not heavily damaging the wearer. Plate would protect the wearer but take damage more quickly and would be rendered ineffective in fewer blunt damage swings.
PK is back

Offline FRANK_THE_TANK

• King
  • Renown: 1312
  • Infamy: 339
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • FluckCucker
    • View Profile
  • Faction: A Free and proud Peasant of Fisdnar!!!
  • Game nicks: FRANK_THE_TANK
  • IRC nick: Sippy sip
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2012, 09:56:24 am »
Its a cool idea. Certainly would be better than the current thud fest.

Black +3 with mail gauntlests gives me a hell of a lot of staying power against pretty much most things if I face hug, no need to block at all just face hug and run against the shots while prodding away with a dagger.

How would it effect glancing? As your armor craps out you take more shots??? would be interesting to see.
Fammi un pompino!

I think I have ball cancer in my right nut :(
Good news everybody! It's not nut cancer :)
Bad news everybody, I got dumped :(

Offline owens

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
  • PK_BALLA
    • View Profile
    • Our Website
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2012, 11:03:27 am »
Why dont you play in AUS anymore isn't it a enraging playing with 250 ping.
Lol probably easier than playing against Me I guess.

Every time I Play in America I get a positive kd which is stupid considering i can only go one for one or worse against sudo, caeser and kadeth.

Thanks for the promotion and imput.

The purpose is to give plate some of its old value back. Wearing plate should make you tough but it should also have a downside(not in my opinion) my suggestion is that it is easily countered on another level other than movement speed.
PK is back

Offline Sarpton

• Count
  • Renown: 198
  • Infamy: 54
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Hurlbat
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2012, 06:41:57 pm »
Dark age of Camelot had a similar armor system to the one you are describing.  For instance, plate was weak to crush (blunt) strong to cut, and neutral to pierce,  Chain was strong to cut, neutral to blunt, weak to pierce, and leather was strong to blunt, weak to cut, and neutral to thrust.  And it was nice to make weapon decisions based on what you were likely to face.   

Something like that would be fun and refreshing.   Probably a bitch to code though.

Offline HUtH

• Baron
  • Renown: 94
  • Infamy: 28
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2012, 06:53:58 pm »
The purpose is to give plate some of its old value back. Wearing plate should make you tough but it should also have a downside(not in my opinion) my suggestion is that it is easily countered on another level other than movement speed.

More weight and movement speed because of wearing late-medieval plate armour is unrealistic, because generally these armours were well fitted and movement was even easier than in heavy mail that whole weight was on wearer's shoulders. Unfortunately making plate armours very heavy is the only way to balance it, because making it super expensive would be like erasing it from the game, noone would use them

necron <- wow, comparison to DAoC is a great recommendation for this idea, imho.
Sorry
for
my
terrible
English