Author Topic: Shield with Long sword question  (Read 2658 times)

Offline VehoNex

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Shield with Long sword question
« on: March 25, 2012, 07:40:50 am »
Ive been trying my shield with a long sword (which is normally a 2h) and I'm confused as to what stat it uses to determine swing strength and speed. Ive got 91 in 1h wpf and it feels like im swinging through syrup. Is a 2h/1h with a shield based off the 2h stat or the 1h?

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
Re: Shield with Long sword question
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 07:46:24 am »
It uses 1H wpf when using it in one handed mode. It swings much slower, and you can check the speed in one handed mode by hovering your cursor over it in the equip screen (different damage too).
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline rubicon_crossed

• Knight
  • Renown: 44
  • Infamy: 5
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: RubiconCrossed_BRD, Hedge_BRD
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 07:48:46 am »
When you're using a shield with longsword, you use 1h wpf, however you have something like a ~30% penalty to speed and damage. The only time I ever use a shield + longsword combination is if I'm chasing down an archer with his bow equipped. Otherwise, you swing really, really slow - I guess you could try to use it like a changeup but I doubt it would be very effective after they adapt to your first ultra slow-mo swing.

Offline VehoNex

• Beggar
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2012, 07:49:36 am »
It uses 1H wpf when using it in one handed mode. It swings much slower, and you can check the speed in one handed mode by hovering your cursor over it in the equip screen (different damage too).

Problem is in the equip screen it list it as 2h/1h and gives a set of stats then list it as pole arm as well and gives separate stats for that.

Offline RamsesXXIIX

• Count
  • Renown: 252
  • Infamy: 65
  • Yes, I prey on the weak.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Ramses
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2012, 02:49:24 pm »
+1
When you use the longsword with a shield, you also use your 1h proficiency. But, you also get a 35% penalty to damage and swing speed, which is a HUGE difference. These are the stats when used as a 2hander:

(click to show/hide)

These are the stats when used as a 1hander: (The red marks the comparison with the 2handed stats)
(click to show/hide)

In comparison, lets look at this 1hander, the Simple sword
(click to show/hide)

This is the worst real sword there is among onehanded weapons, and its still A LOT better than the Longsword when used in 1handmode. Furthermore, the price on the Longsword is simply outrageous in comparison to its speed and damage when used with a shield.

Conclusion: Use the Longsword primarily without a shield, as otherwise it is a clumsy, non-lethal and expensive weapon.

One more thing though: While wielding your Longsword in 2handmode, you can press "x" to chance the mode of the weapon. This will make you use your polearm wpf on the Longsword, and also slightly change the stats (More damage on stabs, less on swings and slightly lower speed, I think). You will also change the animations with your weapon, so that you use a polearm animation when you stab and using the left-to-right swing. You will also not have any overhead animation, but still have the 2hand animation on your right-to left swing. You can easily switch back to using your Longsword with 2hand proficiency by pressing "x" again.

Hope this clears it up.

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2012, 03:22:22 pm »
+2
If you really want a versatile 1h/shielder, use one of the weapons that are 1 slot, and have an alternate x mode to turn into a 2hander.

Langes Messer is a fine example. Does well in both modes, very versatile weapon.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 01:56:25 pm by Christo »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline VehoNex

• Beggar
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 04:30:11 am »
Roger that, thanks guys. I guess there goes my plan of being a long sword and shielder

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2012, 07:31:23 am »
Roger that, thanks guys. I guess there goes my plan of being a long sword and shielder

use Nordic Champ, Arab Cav, Knightly Arming, Shaska or if you wanna gay it up Elite Scimitar.  They are the classic longsword type Sword'n'Board

Offline VehoNex

• Beggar
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2012, 05:56:10 am »
use Nordic Champ, Arab Cav, Knightly Arming, Shaska or if you wanna gay it up Elite Scimitar.  They are the classic longsword type Sword'n'Board

Im using a knightly arming, love this thing. Swings like a dream and does some damage.

Offline rufio

• Marshall
  • Renown: 995
  • Infamy: 483
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • QQ
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Rufio_pleaser_of_widows, LeLouche_LampeRouge, Quenya_Favourite_of_Rufio
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2012, 07:29:17 am »
longsword is nice on horseback if u get the hang of it thow, since the xtra reach of the blade is nice, and speed bonus will compensate for everything,, just hard to master, cool to play thow

Offline Belhade

• Peasant
  • Renown: 7
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2012, 05:07:48 am »
I'm a 2H'er and use Heavy Bastard with a shield, for either ranged protection or turtling a flag. I almost never fight with the shield out. Also use the polearm mode for downing cavalry.

Other than that I use the Langes Messer instead. Wicked fast in 2H.

Offline Smiling Daemon

• Baron
  • Renown: 107
  • Infamy: 11
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2012, 02:33:45 pm »
As a morningstar + shield character, yes it uses 1H proficiency when you fight with the shield. Yes, it is as terrible and slow as it sounds. It's like swinging a balloon in combat, watching it floats to people.

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2012, 04:12:20 pm »
As a morningstar + shield character, yes it uses 1H proficiency when you fight with the shield. Yes, it is as terrible and slow as it sounds. It's like swinging a balloon in combat, watching it floats to people.

the odd speed does throw people off, it floats out in the air so long.  Xeen does pretty well doing MS+shield