Author Topic: Looking for a new book to read...  (Read 1572 times)

Offline B3RS3RK

• Earl
  • Renown: 377
  • Infamy: 103
  • cRPG Player
  • Sexy and I know it.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Saracen_Berserkaziz_Amir
Re: Looking for a new book to read...
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2012, 07:10:58 pm »
Bernard Cornwell's serie The Saxon Stories is really good, but you probably know them. If not: it takes place in Britain around 1000 ad and tells about vikings

This, he also has some other medieval-themed books.

I´ve just read Agincourt: A Novel.

it is pretty nice, I´d reccomend it(What I find rather disturbing are the similarities to his Book "An Archers Tale", but whatever.It´s still a good book).

« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 07:15:12 pm by B3RS3RK »
Maybe it woud be better for me to find out where you life and kill you when you are satch a Soziopath. You have enough now.
"I don´t believe in anything, I´m just here for the violence."

Offline Angantyr

• King
  • Renown: 1134
  • Infamy: 130
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2012, 07:27:50 pm »
The Saxon Shore
The Arthurian legend refreshingly with a historical narrative. Deals with the interesting period of before and after the fall of Roman Britain, adult-themed and splendidly written.

I A Song of Ice and Fire series
I know it is fantasy but ASoIaF is very far from your average run-of-the-mill fantasy universe and George Martin captures Medieval life and politics (realpolitik) better than any other author I've seen, except perhaps for Cornwell.

Offline B3RS3RK

• Earl
  • Renown: 377
  • Infamy: 103
  • cRPG Player
  • Sexy and I know it.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Saracen_Berserkaziz_Amir
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2012, 07:37:28 pm »
Also, read Steven Eriksons "Malazan Book of the fallen" Saga.
Maybe it woud be better for me to find out where you life and kill you when you are satch a Soziopath. You have enough now.
"I don´t believe in anything, I´m just here for the violence."

Offline Earthdforce

• Earl
  • Renown: 391
  • Infamy: 150
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Earth_Geodude_da_Defender, _RageThrower
  • IRC nick: Khalestimo#7613
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2012, 09:40:00 pm »
I A Song of Ice and Fire series
I know it is fantasy but ASoIaF is very far from your average run-of-the-mill fantasy universe and George Martin captures Medieval life and politics (realpolitik) better than any other author I've seen, except perhaps for Cornwell.

He said no GoT xD
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Anal Bleeding

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 105
  • Infamy: 132
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2012, 09:54:31 pm »
KJ Parker is a better author than RR Martin and Cornwell in my opinion.

Offline Angantyr

• King
  • Renown: 1134
  • Infamy: 130
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2012, 12:07:53 am »
He said no GoT xD
Ha ha sorry, for some reason I didn't think of ASoIaF when reading GoT.

Offline Logen

• OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 385
  • Infamy: 39
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2012, 12:53:13 am »
KJ Parker is a better author than RR Martin and Cornwell in my opinion.
Scavenger series really are mindblowing, yeah.

Offline Peppovitch

• Count
  • Renown: 276
  • Infamy: 128
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Hospitaller
  • Game nicks: Hospitaller_Peppovitch
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2012, 07:15:11 am »
I know you said Medieval, but if you like war novels then you may want to check out the "Gates of Fire" by Steven Pressfield.  It is set in the Hellenic period at the time of the Persian war.  The book is very historical as most references came directly from Herodotus and other historians of the time.   It is an amazing story and extremely popular even ten years after it was written.  It is very gritty, real, and informative of life at the time.  It can be tough to find on the shelves as it is still in high demand, but it is well worth the look.  The Gates of Fire is on the Commandant of the Marine Corps' reading list. It is taught at West Point, Annapolis, and at the Marine Corps Basic School at Quantico at Virginia Military Institute.

Go tell the Spartans, stranger passing by, That here, obedient to their laws, we lie. Nearly 2,500 years ago, in 480BC, at a bleak pass in a far-flung corner of eastern Greece, three hundred Spartan warriors faced the army of Xerxes of Persia, a massive force rumoured to be over a million strong. Their orders were simple: to delay the enemy for as long as possible while the main Greek armies mobilized.For six days the Spartans held the invaders at bay. In the final hours - their shields broken, swords and spears shattered - they fought with their bare hands before being overwhelmed. It was battle that would become synonymous with extraordinary courage, heroism and self-sacrifice: it was Thermopylae. In Gates of Fire, Steven Pressfield tells the epic story of those legendary Spartans: the men and women who helped shaped our history and have themselves become as immortal as their gods.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 07:21:31 am by Peppovitch »

Offline Kuyamzoleta

• Baron
  • Renown: 94
  • Infamy: 11
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Zoleta, WATCHOUT_SON
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2012, 08:13:57 am »
Sorry tanken i'm drunk right now and i'm POSITIVe you said your topic in the general discussion, not the off-topic.

But anyway, i just finished The Scarecrow by Michael Connelly which is a crime thriller. REALLY good.

I also finished two of the three part Curse Workers Series, the White Cat, and Red Glove, by Holly Black.

both suggestions have a decent plot and some great twists
"twerk miley miley twerk"

Offline Tyrell

• Baron
  • Renown: 126
  • Infamy: 48
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Cavalieres
  • Game nicks: Tyrell, Prince Aegon, Date_Masamune
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2012, 05:16:06 pm »
I know you said Medieval, but if you like war novels then you may want to check out the "Gates of Fire" by Steven Pressfield.  It is set in the Hellenic period at the time of the Persian war.  The book is very historical as most references came directly from Herodotus and other historians of the time.   It is an amazing story and extremely popular even ten years after it was written.  It is very gritty, real, and informative of life at the time.  It can be tough to find on the shelves as it is still in high demand, but it is well worth the look.  The Gates of Fire is on the Commandant of the Marine Corps' reading list. It is taught at West Point, Annapolis, and at the Marine Corps Basic School at Quantico at Virginia Military Institute.

Go tell the Spartans, stranger passing by, That here, obedient to their laws, we lie. Nearly 2,500 years ago, in 480BC, at a bleak pass in a far-flung corner of eastern Greece, three hundred Spartan warriors faced the army of Xerxes of Persia, a massive force rumoured to be over a million strong. Their orders were simple: to delay the enemy for as long as possible while the main Greek armies mobilized.For six days the Spartans held the invaders at bay. In the final hours - their shields broken, swords and spears shattered - they fought with their bare hands before being overwhelmed. It was battle that would become synonymous with extraordinary courage, heroism and self-sacrifice: it was Thermopylae. In Gates of Fire, Steven Pressfield tells the epic story of those legendary Spartans: the men and women who helped shaped our history and have themselves become as immortal as their gods.
Thermopylae was where 300 is set, right?
Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war.

LIBERNATE

Offline Peppovitch

• Count
  • Renown: 276
  • Infamy: 128
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Hospitaller
  • Game nicks: Hospitaller_Peppovitch
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2012, 04:34:48 am »
Thermopylae was where 300 is set, right?

That is correct. The book describe the lives of those involved in the battle as well as the events leading up to it.  The story is told by a survivor of the battle who reveals the story of the spartans to king Xerxes.

Offline isatis

• Duke
  • Renown: 624
  • Infamy: 78
  • cRPG Player
  • ink+water showing their true potential!
    • View Profile
    • le Clan des Cochons!
  • Faction: Le clan des Cochons!!
  • Game nicks: Cochon_Furtif_Isatis
  • IRC nick: Isatis
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2012, 04:38:32 am »
one of my good easy cool story books I usually use them in between cool long boring amazingly well-written book

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Belgariad

and other book from David & Leigh Edding

I find those a good mix between cool language and fantasy, but that may just be the traduction  :wink:
So the new response to ranged ragers is not "get a shield", it is "learn to chamber ranged nub!"