Author Topic: Torches and Stuff  (Read 1122 times)

Offline Diomedes

• Count
  • Renown: 200
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
  • Cat
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Sootnik_Diomedes
Torches and Stuff
« on: March 09, 2011, 01:39:17 am »
In this thread I'm proposing two changes: (1) Make the torch a more useful weapon (e.g. 25 blunt damage) so more people will use it OR allow the torch to be equipped as a left-handed attachment for shielders and throwers (2) create a staff-torch weapon ("Flaming Thyrsus" anyone?) to allow polearm usesr to use it (3) make fire-bombs actually useful.

(1) I like torches.  They're nice roleplaying devices but they're also a pretty looking model IMO.  I like it when players pull them out to help their teammates see enemy weapons more easily at nighttime.  All round, torches seem like exactly the kind of co-op feature we should be trying to encourage people to use.  However, the only people who really use them are peasants, with nothing better to contribute, or trolls.  Consequently, I propose a significant damage increase to torches so shielders will be encouraged to use them.  Sure, they're not espadas, but they can be made to function as a worthwhile mace (like in The Mummy movies).  Conversely, for those who don't like Brendan Fraser, I propose torches could be carried in the off-hand by throwers and shielders.  It's less exciting but a potentially cool feature.

(2) Pretty straightforward.  A flaming polearm would be a torch for polearm users.  Not only would it be as potentially useful as a torch but everyone and their uncle would use it to roleplay as a wizard:

"YOU SHALL NOT PAAAAAAAAAAAAASS...."

"PISS OFF FOR I AM GORETOOTH RAWWWRRRRRRR!"

(3) This is for the ninja and the peasants who want to help out.  Instead of making them damaging weapons firebombs could function as old-fashioned smoke grenades.  I believe they do so now, sort of, but they're just 60 weight and too expensive for their mild function.  Sure they're anachronistic but so are LotR references :wink:

Offline Korgoth

• Marshall
  • Renown: 742
  • Infamy: 100
  • cRPG Player
  • I've dated girls uglier than you for Breakfast
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Basileia ton Romaion
  • Game nicks: Korgoth
  • IRC nick: Korgoth
Re: Torches and Stuff
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 02:34:29 am »
I agree with the Smokebomb idea.

I think that the smoke should be more thick but the spread of the smoke is short so it can only hide 1-2 people for a short while (Perfect for Get aways) Also the weight is WAY to high. I would actually use them if they didn't slow me down.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Korgoth's Retextures
Korgoth's Hierloom Stall

Offline Krakatit

• Noble
  • Renown: 19
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Krakatit
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 02:46:36 am »
I have a feeling that torches will have some special use in the future... Like burning down siege equipment or burning buildings

Offline Nemeth

• Knight
  • Renown: 34
  • Infamy: 6
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Nemeth
  • IRC nick: Nemeth
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 02:58:43 am »
Problem with smoke bombs is, that all you have to do is disable particle effects in video options and you see no smoke (as well as no rain etc).

Offline Diomedes

• Count
  • cRPG Player
  • Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 03:46:26 am »
Happens.  There will always be folks who won't comply to non-consensual roleplay but that just happens.  There's also the issue, perhaps, of lag.  I'm not sure how much smoke and things tax server resources and whatnot.  Does anybody see this helping peasants or is this just me wanting more variety post-retirement?

Offline Whalen207

• Noble
  • Renown: 11
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
  • If I see that fucking pickle one more time...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: [Guard_Whalen207 [Guard_Whale_Tosser [Guard_Whale_Tank [Guard_Whale_ArrowSpam
  • IRC nick: Whalen
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 04:30:37 am »
Particle effects don't lag too much. As long as the smoke is just a couple of circular gray particles blocking the path, it won't lag a bit.
However, I do worry about abusing this. Abusing this alot.

On a side note, increase the intensity of the fire in torches.
On another side note, torches aren't solid wood, boyo. They're usually a clump of reeds or a thick stick with a mashup of wood pulp at the tip. They don't hit very hard, and they usually fracture during impact.
Arma 2, Mount and Blade, Garry's Mod and Coloholics Roleplayer, Coder, Mapmaker and Moderator.

Offline Diomedes

• Count
  • cRPG Player
  • Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 05:11:46 am »
Most commonly, yes, but they can also be made of thick, kerosene-soaked rope wrapped around a hardwood or metal base.  The in-game model is off, certainly, but it's a torch is also something that can feasibly pack a punch.  I'm not saying it's a plate-killer or dam-buster - just that being hit with a flaming club ought to feel like being hit with a flaming club.

P.S. How is this such a popular image under "torch" on Google?: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_8-ozAShdptk/S6MsDj-WeNI/AAAAAAAAARw/_Z739-X_J0s/s1600-h/f64d368874ae51cc2c6a8ab45383ed250dad4625_m.jpg

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2011, 05:44:32 am »
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Philosiraptor

• Knight
  • Renown: 38
  • Infamy: 29
  • cRPG Player
  • Scrubnerdbasementlord
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Phoenix Company MurderBoner GoD
  • Game nicks: Philosiraptor_PxC; Thousands of alts..Just call me mike :D
  • IRC nick: Philo
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2011, 05:53:54 am »
as one of the two original torchbearers, i approve of this post

Anders you have a fucking ban thread every day it seems, you lead a sad life my friend. Ban threads are the cancer that kill this mod.

Offline Armbrust_Schtze

• Knight
  • Renown: 72
  • Infamy: 110
  • cRPG Player
  • (being watched)
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Philip :)
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2011, 11:57:23 am »
yeah make torches usefull to burn down something on porpuse. but not that powerful, dont want to see them everywhere :p
This masterwork bolt will send you straight to hell Tincan!

Offline Diomedes

• Count
  • cRPG Player
  • Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2011, 09:23:16 pm »
^I think that's in the plan for the next patch.