84 (40.2%)
10 (4.8%)
6 (2.9%)
4 (1.9%)
5 (best)
105 (50.2%)

Total Members Voted: 207

Voting closed: March 29, 2012, 03:41:41 am

Author Topic: Unban Essay: Troyicide  (Read 12039 times)

Offline Penitent

• King
  • Renown: 1389
  • Infamy: 220
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Penitent_Turtler
Re: Unban Essay: Troyicide
« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2012, 10:54:13 pm »
+1
We all know his actions and how idiotic they were.

The question is does his essay both stay to the topic and show his remorse.

On topic: 5
Remorse: -4

Essays like this, the poetry, or any other whimsical writings seems to make a mockery of this punishment. It shouldn't have to be said but this isn't an instance for an individual to flex their creative muscles or to have a good time doing it.

I disagree with you wholeheartedly.  Essays of any kind are absolutely the time to express yourself creatively.  What is the point of a meaningful essay that is so dry and boring that it is a punishment to even read for its audience?  These are not political science essays, but essay regarding a game.  It is completely appropriate to have fun with them, as long as the meaning comes through.  Not only is this a game, but its a medieval game.  His use of middle-English phrasings is even more appropriate.  In fact, its his chosen style of writing that caused me to give him a higher score.

The point of the essay is to force the writer to think about their actions and their ramifications.  Whether they have a good time doing that or not is irrelevant.  Helping the reader have a good time reading it shows forethought and consideration.  Good writing and a creative streak can help make any situation more enjoyable, and I applaud it. 

Signed,
Garison
BA - English Writing 2005
Writing center tutor 2003-2005
Modestly published poet
Renaissance Man
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 10:56:33 pm by Garison »

Offline Darkkarma

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 106
  • cRPG Player
  • Slow your roll
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: DarkKarma
« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2012, 10:55:27 pm »
+2
I still think of c-rpg and strategus as two seperate things. I don't play Strategus myself, not belonging to a clan nor wanting to join one and I haven't heard that is supports Mercs.

I think a week or two ban in c-rpg would relay the proper message. I don't think the Strategus asshattery should automatically and necessarily bleed over into c-rpg battle/siege modes though. Isn't Strategus supposed to be about politics, reputation, smack talking, devious underhanded backstabbing and such? Like I said, I'm not playing it, so I could have the wrong impression. But to expound:

Strategus - Hmm. Sounds bad, but if I recall, don't you have to hire someone to be in a battle? Well, why did you hire him? I bet you don't do that again. His reputation is trashed, and so even if not banned he could never participate in another battle if nobody ever hires him. Is that right? And if he did it to his clan, his clan can handle that by booting his ass and then for sure he would never get hired. So...the mechanics for dealing with asshattery is already in place if that is the case.
Should we have some administrative ban as well? I would say yes simply to discourage that type of blatant action. But with game mechanics and reputation that could essentially perma-ban someone from participating in Strategus, I don't necessarily believe that an actual Admin ban should be implemented without cheating of some type happening. Reputation should handle screwing someone over. Maybe you guys need a list of people not to hire to fight in Strategus battles.

In general, when a player hires a person as a mercenary, he or she reserves the right to add whomever they see fit. However, when it is a neutral, AI controlled castle, (like the one in this instance), the AI hires pretty indiscriminately so long as the person is of a decent level and has good attendance and doesn't no show alot  in battles. As far as strat goes, people put alot of planning into this little mini game. Speaking from personal experience, strat can be like a full time job for some leaders. It's hard enough managing strat as it is without worrying about mercs coming in and deliberately sabotaging defenses. As far a neutral defenses go, they don't happen very often this late in an instance of strat, it kind of sucks that a guy would go out of his way to deliberately try and help ensure his friends victory on the other side while succeeding to take away from the fun of those on his team in the process. This in itself wouldn't be grounds for a super long ban, but when a guy has been banned on multiple occasions before hand(including one time for auto blocking), can you really blame people for questioning that individual's character and being reluctant to let said individual back into their community?

Food for thought.
This community hurts my brains, a lot.

Offline Anwyl

• Baron
  • Renown: 144
  • Infamy: 66
  • cRPG Player
  • I liked cool avatars before they went mainstream.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Coy
  • IRC nick: Coy
« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2012, 11:22:47 pm »
+11
Essay was patronizing and self-victimizing.

1/5

Also, 5 bans and this guy is still potentially getting another chance? Listen EU guys.
Rehabilitation might work in your "in-and-out in a few months" prison system. But in 'Merica we lock repeat offenders up.

Because let's be honest. If he did it once, if he did it twice, if he did it five times. He's going to do it again.

Offline Zaren

• Count
  • Renown: 162
  • Infamy: 64
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Astralis
  • Game nicks: Zaren_Astralis
  • IRC nick: Zaren
« Reply #48 on: March 22, 2012, 11:37:24 pm »
We all know his actions and how idiotic they were.

The question is does his essay both stay to the topic and show his remorse.

On topic: 5
Remorse: -4

Essays like this, the poetry, or any other whimsical writings seems to make a mockery of this punishment. It shouldn't have to be said but this isn't an instance for an individual to flex their creative muscles or to have a good time doing it.
I totally disagree with you there. Unban essays should show effort! Even If you dont think he should be unbanned, the fact is he should put creativity into it. Creativity earns extra points!

Offline LastKaze

• Baron
  • Renown: 126
  • Infamy: 38
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: LastKaze
  • IRC nick: LastKaze
« Reply #49 on: March 22, 2012, 11:46:53 pm »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Blade

• Knight
  • Renown: 49
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: UltimaOnline
  • Game nicks: Blade_The_Berserk
  • IRC nick: StrengthAbusersAnonymous
« Reply #50 on: March 23, 2012, 12:41:23 am »
+1
Hell unban him allready!  :D

Offline _451_ATS

• Noble
  • Renown: 15
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 23, 2012, 01:34:21 am »
+1
I disagree with you wholeheartedly.  Essays of any kind are absolutely the time to express yourself creatively.  What is the point of a meaningful essay that is so dry and boring that it is a punishment to even read for its audience?  These are not political science essays, but essay regarding a game.  It is completely appropriate to have fun with them, as long as the meaning comes through.  Not only is this a game, but its a medieval game.  His use of middle-English phrasings is even more appropriate.  In fact, its his chosen style of writing that caused me to give him a higher score.

The point of the essay is to force the writer to think about their actions and their ramifications.  Whether they have a good time doing that or not is irrelevant.  Helping the reader have a good time reading it shows forethought and consideration.  Good writing and a creative streak can help make any situation more enjoyable, and I applaud it. 

Signed,
Garison
BA - English Writing 2005
Writing center tutor 2003-2005
Modestly published poet
Renaissance Man

I totally disagree with you there. Unban essays should show effort! Even If you dont think he should be unbanned, the fact is he should put creativity into it. Creativity earns extra points!

Both of you missed the point. Tiger I agree with you on that it should show effort, but this is an instance where he put more effort into making it amusing than understanding why his behavior is disruptive and unacceptable. This should not become the norm for others.

Garison: Solemn work can have a creativity of it's own. This isn't about making a judgement on whether or not the work is amusing but that he clearly illustrates the points he has been asked to make, and just as you said, think about his actions and ramifications. However, essays like this getting passed through is setting a precedent that it's acceptable to post something that is insincere and self-victimizing so long as it's amusing or entertaining in some fashion.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 02:08:58 am by _451_ATS »

Offline Blackzilla

• Earl
  • Renown: 451
  • Infamy: 108
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FIDLGB(strat/crpg),Dracul(Friends)
  • Game nicks: Blackzilla_FIDLGB, Helios The Shiny
  • IRC nick: Blackzilla
« Reply #52 on: March 23, 2012, 01:39:16 am »
oh he learned his lesson.

No one is stating that, No one.

Free Troy he has learned his ways
he says troy has learned his way. Therefore some is stating that.

Offline BlindGuy

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 583
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • De oppresso liber et plus ultra.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 23, 2012, 10:03:24 am »
+1
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
I don't know enough

Offline Dexxtaa

• King
  • Renown: 1268
  • Infamy: 200
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Remnant_Dexxtaa
« Reply #54 on: March 23, 2012, 03:01:09 pm »
+18
So...

I may be missing something here, but why is someone who's had a long history of bans gets yet another chance to go free ?

Also, I'd like to know why the majority of people who support the author are from his own clan. I see the occasional person piping up for Troy, which is cool and all, but I fail to see why your "bros" should have the power to sway an admin decision and an outright call for a permaban (by both biased and unbiased parties alike).

I see a lot of different people from a lot of different factions (and those without factions) calling for the Hammer.

The author is clearly a detriment to this small community based on his track record alone (even before considering this instance of his ban). A record of previous bans and all around being a moron on the servers? Stratia has had her members change their names/ buy new keys for much less than this.

Speaking as someone who cares greatly for this community (I know right), I feel that an affliction like this should not be left to return in its current form.

A permanent ban would force the author to reconsider his future actions and losing his heirlooms will be a harsh, but required cost of his actions. This would also send a message out to everyone with malevolent intent that acting on their malicious thoughts will do them no good.

If not for the loss of heirlooms, then the required purchase of a new CD-Key will be a financial impact on the person in question (but that's not as detrimental to some as opposed to others irl).

Granpappy, while I respect your opinion, I disagree completely with your perspective. I can go into a whole essay about how what you said is incorrect. But suffice to say that it's not as easy as you put it, and given your lack of experience with the Strat interface, I don't think your points will hold strong in a lengthy discussion.

Because the community is important to me; permaban

2 for the essay,
Base 1 because it is patronizing, and self victimizing which is hardly something you do with such a track record.
+1 for creativity.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 03:10:15 pm by Dexxtaa »

Offline ICEArmy

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 24, 2012, 09:16:27 pm »
Torycide's great words have shown me an unparallelled forgiveness

Offline Smoothrich

• King
  • Renown: 1558
  • Infamy: 986
  • cRPG Player
  • #manup @bigplays
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 24, 2012, 09:24:55 pm »
+5
guy seems like a dick, wouldn't really care too much about griefing a strat battle but lol @ being globally banned in the past for auto blocking then still doing this

i would think an auto blocking ban puts your account on real thin ice in the first place and he was hilariously frapsed being a douche, tough luck.  his essay is funny i guess but blaming admins for his bans is stupid

either permaban him or unban him in a month but change all his heirlooms into +3 shashkas and permanently change his name to HOSPITALLER_AUTOBLOCKER_GRIEFER_PUBTRASH so he can never escape the shame
My posting is like a katana folded 1000 times to perfection.. and the community is what keeps the edge sharp.. and bloody.  -  Me.

Offline BADPLAYERold

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 362
  • Infamy: 163
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: PRO
  • Game nicks: BADPLAYER
« Reply #57 on: March 24, 2012, 11:56:12 pm »
+1
guy seems like a dick, wouldn't really care too much about griefing a strat battle but lol @ being globally banned in the past for auto blocking then still doing this

i would think an auto blocking ban puts your account on real thin ice in the first place and he was hilariously frapsed being a douche, tough luck.  his essay is funny i guess but blaming admins for his bans is stupid

either permaban him or unban him in a month but change all his heirlooms into +3 shashkas and permanently change his name to HOSPITALLER_AUTOBLOCKER_GRIEFER_PUBTRASH so he can never escape the shame

being an autoblocker yourself i would of thought you wouldn't of been as harsh smooth.

Offline Smoothrich

• King
  • Renown: 1558
  • Infamy: 986
  • cRPG Player
  • #manup @bigplays
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 25, 2012, 12:03:50 am »
+1
being an autoblocker yourself i would of thought you wouldn't of been as harsh smooth.

why hello, what in the wrold are you talking about
My posting is like a katana folded 1000 times to perfection.. and the community is what keeps the edge sharp.. and bloody.  -  Me.

Offline BADPLAYERold

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 362
  • Infamy: 163
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: PRO
  • Game nicks: BADPLAYER
« Reply #59 on: March 25, 2012, 12:05:07 am »
why hello, what in the wrold are you talking about