Author Topic: Simple Strat Suggestions  (Read 1021 times)

Offline Lemmy_Winks

• Count
  • Renown: 241
  • Infamy: 230
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Lemmy_Winks
Simple Strat Suggestions
« on: March 21, 2012, 07:42:41 pm »
There have been alot of ideas being thrown out there, but im going to touch on two ideas, one of which has not really been touched on and one that has but in a differnt way. These two ideas are Clan size (with my proposal there will be no more alliances), and driving compeition between clans to create lots of action and excietment (war).

Clan Size: This strat we have seen Chaos and Hosp engage in mass recruiting and in creating mega alliances in order to compete with one another. Having two massive factions fight each other isnt that fun and im sure it wasnt fun for all the smaller clans who had been subjugated into service for either of these two clans. I see no reason why next strat will not be an exact repeat of this strat unless something is changed, Chaos and Hosp will just fight the exact same war and it wasnt even that fun the first time around.

I propose a few things within this proposal. Strat faction size will be limited to 35-40 players or some appropriate number, ONLY faction members can fight in a factions battle, no mercs or allies. Making alliances will technically be illegal although you cant stop it (with this system in place allies will be much less effective anyways). I dont know alot about trading or giving money as financial support, but giving financial support should also be illegal or made impossible. This will have one or a few big impacts. These clans that have been engaging in mass recruiting will have to shed large numbers. These players will populate smaller clans like LL or KUTT and make them real contentdors, im sure many new clans will even start up and they too will be big enough to be contentdors.

Instead of having two massive factions, we will have many differnt medium sized factions that are independent. This will go a long way in making strat more fun and diverse. Instead of fighting the same war over and over again where everyone is on one side or there other there is a myriad of possibilities for different clans to fight one another. Not only that but strat will be more fun for these smaller clans as they arent being subjugated into one of the two mega alliances.

Not only that factions will actually have to take into account player skill instead of just recruiting whoever they can get. This will create a nice distribution of skill, players of one skill in one clan, players of another skill level in another clan kind of like in WoW. There are exceptions to this which is good too. I also think there would be a greater sense of commrodary in these smaller factions and more team work and tactics being utalized than in these massive faceless conglomerates we have now. There are other benefits too but they can go in the driving competition section which i will get to now.

Driving Compeition: We have to ask ourselves here what do we want out of strat? Well we want action and excitement, we want fun wars. So we need to alter the design of strat to strongly encourage wars. I already touched on having more clans, and this alone drives compeition. The more clans there are the more compeition there is to get fiefs and castles and cities. Driving competition can also prevent illegal alliances or make them highly undesirable. You can make alliances undesirable and drive competition by making fiefs very valuable.

I wont go in to that too much as others have done so, but having feifs actually generate large sums of money on their own (like in single player) to an extent instead of having your income determined to a large extent by how many players you have crafting stuff in one village. If it is made so that fiefs and what not generate large sums of money on thier own, then even a 35-40 man clan can get enough troops and gear to defend a large portion of land. Of course the more land you have the more money your going to make and the more armies you can afford and the better equipement you can afford.

Having better equipment in battle is always fun, and having more armies means you can have more fun strat battles, and when you can only fight in your factions strat battles its especially important that you work hard to get as much land and power as you can so that you and your members can have as much fun as possible fighting in as many strat battles as possible. For illegal alliances to exist in this system one clan leader would have to put the members of another clan above the members of his own clan, and i doubt many people would do that.

And i mean having fiefs generate the money is a good thing, does anyone actually enjoy sitting in a fief crafting bear meat. The players in your clan still matter, in fact with the clan size limits they are more important than ever as you dont have 200 players waiting in line to merc for you, you have to depend on the players in your faction to actually fight in your battles, that is their role.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Tanken

• King
  • Renown: 1463
  • Infamy: 395
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
  • Game nicks: Tanken
Re: Simple Strat Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 08:08:24 pm »
No.
Below is a Collection of Finalists in my Design my Avatar contest -- They all did Awesome!
Thanks to all of those who contributed.

Offline Smoothrich

• King
  • Renown: 1558
  • Infamy: 986
  • cRPG Player
  • #manup @bigplays
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 08:10:25 pm »
+3
lol hospitallers might've been subjugating minor clans, but chaos certainly wasn't, not a game mechanic fault, its your leaders being dicks
My posting is like a katana folded 1000 times to perfection.. and the community is what keeps the edge sharp.. and bloody.  -  Me.

Offline Rikthor

• Earl
  • Renown: 432
  • Infamy: 53
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BOARD Clan
  • Game nicks: Historian_Rikthorrr
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 08:19:35 pm »
There have been alot of ideas being thrown out there, but im going to touch on two ideas, one of which has not really been touched on and one that has but in a differnt way. These two ideas are Clan size (with my proposal there will be no more alliances), and driving compeition between clans to create lots of action and excietment (war).

Clan Size: lol no

Driving Compeition: Check my quote for chadz exact thoughts to strat being more war oriented
Quote from: chadz
No matter how long you guys cry - I will not give in to dumbing strategus down because some people just want battles. If all you want are battles, then play cRPG, not strat. There are other people who like advanced gameplay.

Trolololololol

Offline Visconti

• Count
  • Renown: 278
  • Infamy: 52
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Velucan
  • Game nicks: Tristran_Steward_of_TKoV
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 08:22:59 pm »
+1
Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies

Offline RibaldRon

• Baron
  • Renown: 144
  • Infamy: 13
  • cRPG Player
  • why do butts
    • View Profile
  • Faction: LLJK
  • Game nicks: LLJK_RibaldRon
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 08:51:00 pm »
Sorry Lemmy, I just don't agree with a lot of those ideas.

For me the Red VS green stuff was fun, even when DRZ was exterminating us.  Sorry you guys didn't have fun in the  war you started.  :P

BTW - when you have a conflict where people lose their individuality it leads people to jump ship and join whatever faction is winning.  I think it's a testament to how great this game really is that so many factions are still together, despite not holding a claim to land.

Removing their ability to merc because they've lost their armies is WAY too much to ask for.  Getting support from all over the world as the underdog is a pretty cool feeling.  Alliances will be shady, the way to remove that ability isn't to remove alliances, because then you've got to nerf all manner of other game mechanics which are just fine.
signature removed: annoying

USA USA USA

Offline Lemmy_Winks

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 09:03:35 pm »
I know some of these ideas may seem extreme. But these mega alliances/clans are what is killing strat and are what everyone is complaining about, you cant solve the problem if you dont find a way to break them up, this is a way. If you guys got any ideas share them here or in another strat suggestion thread. And smooth Chaos was subjugating people, they told hospitaller to change to green and do what they said, i think it was they wanted to fight the euros (DRZ maybe) or something or be united in-case of euro attack, our leadership refused and we attacked them instead.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 09:07:48 pm by Lemmy_Winks »

Offline Tanken

• King
  • Renown: 1463
  • Infamy: 395
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
  • Game nicks: Tanken
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2012, 09:12:46 pm »
+1
I agree that having a lot more "Every clan for themselves" conflicts would be a lot more fun, but Hospitaller + Occitan + LL + ATS are an Alliance that we have to form alliances to fight against. You guys are being the culprits behind the North American region's events, whether you realize it or not.

That's 4 pretty substantially sized clans merged into one group of guys who, if left untreated, could devastate any faction in Strategus just by pure dumb numbers. So, if your argument is that large alliances are ruining strat--lead by example and dissolve your alliance between those 4 clans and there you go. Problem solved. LLJK and Chaos and KUTT aren't really allied anymore, we're just there for the XP in the battles if and when they come. TKoV is doing its own thing. HATE is having fun doing whatever. FCC is making a minor comeback but even they are kind of just toying around in Strategus. The only real remaining alliance in NA would be the Hospitaller alliance.
Below is a Collection of Finalists in my Design my Avatar contest -- They all did Awesome!
Thanks to all of those who contributed.

Offline Crazyi

• Baron
  • Renown: 82
  • Infamy: 35
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Crazyi_KUTT, Crazyeye_KUTT, CrayCray
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2012, 09:21:07 pm »
I think altering game mechanics is going to be a lot less touchy than asking clans to break up. I am for encouraging the competition and playing "faster".

Offline Lemmy_Winks

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2012, 09:24:35 pm »
I agree that having a lot more "Every clan for themselves" conflicts would be a lot more fun, but Hospitaller + Occitan + LL + ATS are an Alliance that we have to form alliances to fight against. You guys are being the culprits behind the North American region's events, whether you realize it or not.

That's 4 pretty substantially sized clans merged into one group of guys who, if left untreated, could devastate any faction in Strategus just by pure dumb numbers. So, if your argument is that large alliances are ruining strat--lead by example and dissolve your alliance between those 4 clans and there you go. Problem solved. LLJK and Chaos and KUTT aren't really allied anymore, we're just there for the XP in the battles if and when they come. TKoV is doing its own thing. HATE is having fun doing whatever. FCC is making a minor comeback but even they are kind of just toying around in Strategus. The only real remaining alliance in NA would be the Hospitaller alliance.

The problem is even if red faction where broken up that wouldnt solve the problem. LL has like 5 people in it, ATS has 7 or so active members i would guess. You still have the super clan hospitaller, if big clans like this were limited in strat size that would force people out of these big clans and populate smaller ones like LL and would create a more diverse clan environment and competition. I remember when Shogun 2 first came out and there was no Check against having a massive clan to dominate the Strategy Map they had with their multiplayer. They had a clan with over 5,000 people in it dominating tier one taking all of the land and no one else could compete, inlcuding my clan of 80 or so members.

It sucked there was no competition no clan diversity or anything. It was like what Strat is turning into now. Then they Checked clan size by making you lose points if you lost a battle, making a massive clan like that significantly less effective especially given the fact that most of their players sucked. That clan soon died out after the changed and the tier one map was competitive and fun with tons of clans competing all over the map. Big problems require big solutions.

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2012, 09:32:04 pm »
make clans actually have to PAY for non-clanies merc'ing for them, unless their part of a declared alliance (some sort of system which needed to be in the game)

Offline BADPLAYERold

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 362
  • Infamy: 163
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: PRO
  • Game nicks: BADPLAYER
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2012, 10:59:49 pm »
The problem is even if red faction where broken up that wouldnt solve the problem. LL has like 5 people in it, ATS has 7 or so active members i would guess. You still have the super clan hospitaller, if big clans like this were limited in strat size that would force people out of these big clans and populate smaller ones like LL and would create a more diverse clan environment and competition. I remember when Shogun 2 first came out and there was no Check against having a massive clan to dominate the Strategy Map they had with their multiplayer. They had a clan with over 5,000 people in it dominating tier one taking all of the land and no one else could compete, inlcuding my clan of 80 or so members.

It sucked there was no competition no clan diversity or anything. It was like what Strat is turning into now. Then they Checked clan size by making you lose points if you lost a battle, making a massive clan like that significantly less effective especially given the fact that most of their players sucked. That clan soon died out after the changed and the tier one map was competitive and fun with tons of clans competing all over the map. Big problems require big solutions.

people would just split their clans into multiple strategus factions like HOSPITALLER_ONE, HOSPITALLER_TWO ect if you limit the number of people allowed in a strat faction, it solves nothing and just adds more useless micromanagement.

it's not strategus mechanics holding back strat anymore it's the people leading the factions who will do anything to "win" even if it's not very fun for either side (also not blaming any one faction of this i think every faction does it in some way)

Offline Osiris

• King
  • Renown: 1449
  • Infamy: 324
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merc
  • Game nicks: Osiris. Aethelstan
  • IRC nick: _Osiris_
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2012, 11:05:53 pm »
OMG someone is stronger then me because they have allies or more members!!! I DEMAND that you change strat so that i alone can kill any sized clan or alliance! I do not wish to partake in any kind of diplomacy! this is wartegus! only battles should matter!
i make terrible warband videos! https://youtu.be/jUdVGIOuULk

Offline Visconti

• Count
  • Renown: 278
  • Infamy: 52
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Velucan
  • Game nicks: Tristran_Steward_of_TKoV
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2012, 10:39:18 am »
I personally dont mind having alliances like Hospi did with Occitan, or how TKoV was with the FCC, but when you have an alliance consisting of 60-70% of the Euro player base, it just  becomes game breaking. There needs to be some sort of incentive to not form these giant care bear alliances. It would be great to see 5-6 alliances on the Eu side of the map duking it out, engaging in actual diplomacy with each other. Instead we see the one giant alliance ganking all the other factions who arent interested in afk trading for 6 months. As to the green alliance, i dont think it was formed to counter the Hospi/Occitan alliance, it was more of an attempt to unite NA against the threat of a UIF invasion. Everyone knew it was gonna happen, basically since the start of this round of strat. Most of us just got bored of sitting around for months waiting for this invasion, so NA started this whole Green vs Red thing. Also, as far as TKoV is concerned, were still allied with Chaos.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 10:42:18 am by Visconti »
Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies