Poll

Implement this

Yes
14 (73.7%)
No
5 (26.3%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Author Topic: Over heads for pole arms.  (Read 1272 times)

Offline FRANK_THE_TANK

• King
  • Renown: 1312
  • Infamy: 339
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • FluckCucker
    • View Profile
  • Faction: A Free and proud Peasant of Fisdnar!!!
  • Game nicks: FRANK_THE_TANK
  • IRC nick: Sippy sip
Over heads for pole arms.
« on: March 21, 2012, 10:04:24 am »
+1
The Long Voulge and Swiss Halberd suffer from a rather annoying problem. Over heads get cock blocked constantly by walls/roofs/door ways/friendlys behind you/enemys behind you/pretty much anything behind you.

Door ways, roofs that's fine, makes sense. Completely reasonable. What isn't is being stopped by a dude behind you when the god damn thing is 2 feet in the air above his head.
In tight fights you get caught up constantly, in strat the over head on my Long Voulge is less than useless its a liability to the formation, the person using it may as well just jump up and down and cheer on their comrades.

Solution!: Change the over head swing animation for very long weapons like the Great Long Axe, Great Long Bardiche, Swiss Halberd, Long Voulge, English Bill, Long Hefted Blade, Glaive and Long Bardiche so that the weapon is raised straight up into the air and then brought down instead of pulled back over the head and set parallel to the ground.

I am useless at animating so I can't help at all. The only thing to watch with this is that it doesn't super speed the over heads. Also it should perhaps be restricted to those hacking and slashing pole arms that only have a stab and OH.

Cheers
Frank
Fammi un pompino!

I think I have ball cancer in my right nut :(
Good news everybody! It's not nut cancer :)
Bad news everybody, I got dumped :(

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 303
  • Infamy: 1227
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
Re: Over heads for pole arms.
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 10:54:22 am »
+3
Greatswords get stuck as well, even more than some polearms. Animation is fine, problem is early active attack, something cmpx created to make our lives a misery.

Whole point of that change is to force you to use shorter weapons in close quarters.

And Great Long Axe isn't "very long weapon"...

Offline Logen

• OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 385
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 03:10:23 pm »
Greatswords get stuck as well, even more than polearms.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 03:17:50 pm »
Everything that's a bit longer gets stupidly stuck in air above peoples heads on overheads. Imo, the collision model should kick in just a tiny bit later in the animation.

Offline Logen

• OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 385
  • Infamy: 39
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 03:20:05 pm »
+1
At least with overheads that is. How is it possible to get stuck if I stand back to the wall and strike from above?

Offline Renten

• Knight
  • Renown: 36
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 04:43:49 pm »
+1
I honestly question why a swing would end when you hit something as you pull it back. You would just immediately start the real swing and accept the fact that you'll do less damage (or straight up glance).

"Oh man my 30 inch long mace hit something behind me, better just stand here like an idiot while the other guy stabs me."

Offline FRANK_THE_TANK

• King
  • Renown: 1312
  • Infamy: 339
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • FluckCucker
    • View Profile
  • Faction: A Free and proud Peasant of Fisdnar!!!
  • Game nicks: FRANK_THE_TANK
  • IRC nick: Sippy sip
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2012, 09:42:36 am »
I was fooling around with the GS, try the LV you will rage at your own team constantly.

CMP had a good idea, but its just gone too far. Its not close quarters when I'm doing over heads and some jerk is 5 feet behind me, blocking my swings. I've taken to throwing my LV to the ground and running at people with a long dagger when it happens. I can understand it on side swings and such, but not with the over heads, it just doesn't make any damn sense.
Fammi un pompino!

I think I have ball cancer in my right nut :(
Good news everybody! It's not nut cancer :)
Bad news everybody, I got dumped :(

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2012, 12:37:26 pm »
+1
Got to love bouncing of people behind you all the time. And if you miss your overhead on your enemy, it bounces off the ground, leaving you stunned, and you can't block. Buff overheads :lol:
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline Lizard_man

• Marshall
  • Renown: 717
  • Infamy: 153
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Lizard_man, Jinmenju
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2012, 04:29:47 am »
The war cleaver is exactly the same, it's as if an arm comes out of the wall and grabs it...
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Uumdi

• Duke
  • Renown: 651
  • Infamy: 59
  • Ready to Die
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Uumdi_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: Uumdi
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2012, 04:39:06 am »
Hahaha, shoulda seen my first time using the english bill.  Felt like uninstalling the game.   You get used to it though, I'd honestly suggest keeping it the way it is, swiss and bill can get away with murder as it is - and it actually used to do a shitton of damage to your teammates.  It used to gore peoples' faces who were behind you, and I never do more than just a glance now, which is kind of disappointing to be honest.  It helped my immersion to visualize the hook accidentally disfiguring someone's face, and I had a few wacky duels where I pulled it off as a finishing move.

Couple strat battles where we had the luxury of halberds and bills, people crowd together even moreso than usual, and it definitely annoyed the shit out of me to hear the thud of a shield from behind me when I finally had a good opportunity to strike.  You're right in the sense that the striking surface is usually sitting at head level, if not slightly above, so clipping through a shield doesn't make a ton of sense.  It'd actually be a bigger hazard pulling the weapon back on an unsuspecting teammate's head, rather than the actual upswing motion, right?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 04:43:20 am by Uumdi »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Ten shots of prayers, ten shots a day
A shot of thrill to hide the pain.
They can`t win, they just don`t cry,
The troopers know they live to die.

Offline Aleskander

• Baron
  • Renown: 80
  • Infamy: 48
  • cRPG Player
  • I swear to drunk ossifer I'm not god
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Aleskander, Alesoy Varsov
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2012, 02:29:56 am »
Yeah, longer weapons are too hard to use. They should be able to teleport through walls and objects. And damage and speed should be multiplied by 5 on all long weapons.

Stop whining because a weapon type has it's drawbacks, s-key hero

"Die in Turkish Penis"-Grabber, 14-6-12
Never forget

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2012, 08:44:10 am »
It's not that they are hard to use, the long range is still a big advantage. It's just these few things that are overly stupid and you can't really do anything about it because they mostly don't depend on your actions.

Oh how many times did a friendly shielder hug me from the back just my every overhead would get stuck to his shield. Oh how many times did I miss an overhead, hit the ground magically that stunned me for like 1 second or something. Stupid

Offline Araxiel

• Earl
  • Renown: 387
  • Infamy: 77
  • ((===||:::::::::::::::>
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Vincent_Ruth
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2012, 09:44:13 am »
For me my sword (flamberge) usually got stuck on my teammates with sideswings. Thats why i spam overhead all the time.
Well I roleplayed gay for long time to get Asca attention as harmless one but it didnt help. I only attracted Tueten, Cicero and Grey Order...

Offline ArchonAlarion

• Baron
  • Renown: 98
  • Infamy: 54
  • Late 15th cen. English Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: ArchonAlarion, DON'T_WAKE_GRANDPA, NASTY_TURTLE, UNARMED_CLASS_ DON'T_BAN_PLS, et al.
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2012, 06:14:29 pm »
What's worse, long weapons getting stuck, or long weapons not getting stuck and being even more ridiculous than they are now? It's silly enough that you can overhead and jump around so fast anyways.

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2012, 09:47:38 pm »
+1
They should just remove the collision detection for any swing as long as it is behind you. Fuck realism, its just damn annoying. The realism argument doesn't even apply, cause in real life one would not swing completely horizontal or vertical indoors or in close quarter combat.