Author Topic: Continents in Strategus  (Read 1788 times)

Offline BADPLAYERold

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 362
  • Infamy: 163
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: PRO
  • Game nicks: BADPLAYER
Re: Continents in Strategus
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2012, 02:21:08 am »
+1
This last strat was kind of bad in that Hosp used the strategy of mass recruiting to try to get more money and troops to beat out Chaos who generally had better players, and once Chaos started to lose becuase of this they too started mass recruitment to try to compete with us as well as getting all the allies they could.

except chaos wasn't losing until DRZ stepped in and they had all their allies before the war started

Offline Tomas_of_Miles

• Count
  • Renown: 263
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player
  • Inactive
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Rusty mercenary siege engineer
  • Game nicks: Something with Tomas in it
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2012, 02:24:30 am »
I've heard that people tried to make counter alliances at the beginning of this strat. Why was it so hard to get these together?
Professional poop cleaner

Offline Canary

• Marshall
  • Renown: 826
  • Infamy: 202
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2012, 02:26:36 am »
+1
If strat 4.0 was to start due to DRZs invasion as some believe, it would just be a repeat of what is going on now. The exact same factions would allign with chaos/hosp and take the exact same lands and fight the exact same war that had been going on until DRZ stepped in. DRZ might even invade again.

This is most certainly untrue. Even disregarding things like LLJK not being the same faction it was (any of the people who were allied to us are not the LLJK people anymore) and HoC calling it quits, not everybody holds through their diplomatic alignments once the map gets wiped.

This last strat was kind of bad in that Hosp used the strategy of mass recruiting to try to get more money and troops to beat out Chaos who generally had better players, and once Chaos started to lose becuase of this they too started mass recruitment to try to compete with us as well as getting all the allies they could.

What?

Offline Havoco

• Duke
  • Renown: 538
  • Infamy: 102
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Hospookfans
  • Game nicks: Hospitaller_Havoc
  • IRC nick: Havoco
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2012, 02:36:05 am »
These massive alliances have made me start thinking about having an active diplomacy menu in strat, similar to the total war diplomacy. Obviously alliances should be encouraged, but not to the point of a massive group of allies spanning half the community. Also having enemies should be encouraged. Something to the point of having an increase in item production that would recur every time a large battle was fought.
Pock gobblers

Offline Darkkarma

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 106
  • cRPG Player
  • Slow your roll
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: DarkKarma
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2012, 02:41:20 am »

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with this. While it is true that more productivity in strat was a discussed bonus it was not our main reason for becoming more lax in our recruitment standards. We more so got tired of turning away people that were inexperienced but hungry,driven hardworking players. What's more, we saw very few members join up this strat comparatively to last strat and in between strat 2.0 and 3.0. Even then, we didn't see much of a difference in strat productivity given how horribly we got hit with the wave of inactivity. What's more, I could see making an argument for saying it was  an evenly matched war, but to say you guys were winning before DRZ and friends jumped in just isn't true. From someone that was once a Hospitaller, The strength of Hospitallers is how appealing you guys are to newer players and how quickly you can organize them and make them battle ready in terms of strat productivity. Who doesn't want to be a holy knight going to fight "evil heretics" and all of that? It really is an awesome theme. You guys seem to lose a good number of developed, individual game changing  players over time, but given how often new people want to apply and sign up and quickly change from newbies to functioning members, this is pretty much negated. Your strength has and still is in your numbers and your unity. Anyway, that's just my opinion.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 03:08:30 am by Darkkarma »
This community hurts my brains, a lot.

Offline Lordark

• Count
  • Renown: 155
  • Infamy: 206
  • cRPG Player
  • Please respect all admins and thier decisions.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Solo
  • Game nicks: Lordark
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2012, 05:48:32 am »
+1
Damn str8! We ride toghether we die 2ghether! Unity!

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Never forget the day Dragons came to Calradia
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfLxHJY0lQI&feature=related
My personal theme song, We will never surrender!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hg1xqAjQ5e4

Offline PhantomZero

• Earl
  • Renown: 384
  • Infamy: 53
  • cRPG Player
  • I'm going to need you playing at 6AM on Saturday..
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BIRD CLAN
  • Game nicks: POSTMASTER_PHANTOM0_OF_BIRD
  • IRC nick: PhantomZero
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2012, 05:50:04 am »
This is most certainly untrue. Even disregarding things like LLJK not being the same faction it was (any of the people who were allied to us are not the LLJK people anymore) and HoC calling it quits, not everybody holds through their diplomatic alignments once the map gets wiped.

I must disagree, LLJK was the same faction it always has been, but this round of strategus was just a chore to play and participation was low. However, I do agree that diplomatic alignments can shift during map wipes.

The main problem for LLJK at least, was most of Strat 1 and 2 was fought against European clans, so when Strat 3 rolled around we only had allies next to us. If the Northern Empire hadn't collapsed there would have been a much greater struggle in the north.

In addition, the lack of a common enemy with which to troll was what ended up defeating LLJK.

Offline Lordark

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2012, 06:08:33 am »
What chadz might do then to help solve the care bear issues is to give the faction with the most 'strat' power REWARDS and or BONUSES like perhaps Perma x2 Crpg ticks for best clan in game or Reduced crafting costs for stronger clan in game and perhaps even a minor buff for 2nd strongest. Then 2nd strongest ally in care bare clan will get sick of the one in 1st hogging all the crpg gold and then attack! Sounds simple crazy and perhaps cruel but hell if it will shut every 1 the fuck up then why not chadz my good man?

Offline Matey

• King
  • Renown: 1327
  • Infamy: 372
  • cRPG Player
  • A Pirate
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Matey_BRD
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2012, 06:16:21 am »
+1
What chadz might do then to help solve the care bear issues is to give the faction with the most 'strat' power REWARDS and or BONUSES like perhaps Perma x2 Crpg ticks for best clan in game or Reduced crafting costs for stronger clan in game and perhaps even a minor buff for 2nd strongest. Then 2nd strongest ally in care bare clan will get sick of the one in 1st hogging all the crpg gold and then attack! Sounds simple crazy and perhaps cruel but hell if it will shut every 1 the fuck up then why not chadz my good man?

yeah... but then all the UIF clans would just make a faction called the UIF and take over the entire map anyways, then they all get the rewards... wait a sec... im on to you you sneaky hospitaller! you just want this to be implemented so hosp could join the UIF faction and get benefits! i see through your scheme!  8-)

Offline RibaldRon

• Baron
  • Renown: 144
  • Infamy: 13
  • cRPG Player
  • why do butts
    • View Profile
  • Faction: LLJK
  • Game nicks: LLJK_RibaldRon
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2012, 06:20:57 am »
Reduced crafting costs for stronger clan in game and perhaps even a minor buff for 2nd strongest.
Strongest clan already has the highest production, and by stamping out enemy fiefs, they effectively reduce/remove/eliminate the competition's productivity.

Giving power to those in a position of power is always a mistake.

perhaps the AI suggestion was a good one - add bandit hideouts to the map, which will produce bandits to go raid.  Areas with a lot of peaceful & vulnerable trade caravans would be a prime target.  Fiefs could also be taken over by these bandits.

At the very least, this would give a faction in power something to do - go hunt down these bandits & their hideouts, instead of just producing/trading all day, and then rolling everybody.
signature removed: annoying

USA USA USA

Offline Tanken

• King
  • Renown: 1463
  • Infamy: 395
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
  • Game nicks: Tanken
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2012, 07:14:05 am »
+2
Honestly, if we split into two separate continents or better yet, two separate maps, NA would have way more fun and the battles would be much better.

This would also allow for smaller clans to come in and gain a foothold easier.

I would not mind if KUTT was an individual clan, we'd have just as much fun. We were lumped onto the Green Side by Hospitaller's hand in this previous strat by attacking Uslum, other than that, we had every intention of staying out of it. If there weren't so many alliances made up (Hospitaller + Occitan + LL + ATS + Anyone else) and (Chaos + LLJK + TKoV + KUTT + etc etc) and (HATE) and (FCC) then we would have a LOT more battles and a LOT more fun. The map would be played out accordingly, but instead, most clans have held onto Alliances throughout every Strategus and just go to benefit themselves--which is fine, but it's ruining the idea behind Strategus.

Don't get me wrong, I get that it is a Strategy driven game--but if your strategy for winning is to hold hands and craft goods then wipe out all the players who are having a great time just fighting one another till the very last coin is spent, you're just being intrusive. It wouldn't be hard to sit back for three months, and all of North America sign kum-bai-ah while we craft a shit load of gear, run trade caravans safely, and hug one another with our mouths.. but who honestly wants to be involved in that? That sounds like the most boring thing ever. I picture a Cogny person sitting in their study reading a newspaper and drinking Tea speaking to their allies, "I say ole chap, do you want to run a trade caravan? There are no scoundrels to intrude, let's do it for shits n giggles ehh?"

BORING.

What I love about North America's Strategus right now is how everyone WANTS to get INVOLVED. We want to PLAY. We want to KICK ASS and CHEW BUBBLEGUM. But then you have European Nations who sit back and say, "Hey, let's make love to one another, build up an army, when they're really vulnerable, let's stick a knife in their ribs....but let's wait 4 months to do it."

Two separate mentalities.

=

Two separate maps.

In other words..

(click to show/hide)
Below is a Collection of Finalists in my Design my Avatar contest -- They all did Awesome!
Thanks to all of those who contributed.

Offline Lordark

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2012, 10:42:15 am »
you all make valid points. Very well, ! :!: :idea: :?: :(