Author Topic: Long Bow  (Read 3976 times)

Offline Gisbert_of_Thuringia

• Count
  • Renown: 169
  • Infamy: 136
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: Guard_Gisbert_of_Thuringia, Guard_Bernulf_of_Thuringia, Guard_Ranulf_of_Thuringia etc...
Re: Long Bow
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2012, 01:14:44 am »
longbow doesn't need an accuracy buff

Better would be a missile speed buff. Before new missile textures came you could so some very nice longrangeshooting and the chance you hit was really high.

Now it's crap cause you arrows are too slow and the range is decreased by that, too :/
Accuracy is fine, only time you have to aim (means till your reticule grows) is very short

Offline ammeron

• Peasant
  • Renown: 5
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Warkittenz
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2012, 12:27:22 am »
i've heard that too, but i've compared my dmg tests on alts with arbalests on alt chars vs my longbow on my friend with same armor / if everything, both did almost identical damage. in theory i should do 20 less, but i never did it was always the same. so either the arbalest is penalised and doing 80 pierce or my bow is doing 100
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 12:48:39 am by ammeron »

Offline Cup1d

• Count
  • Renown: 167
  • Infamy: 54
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercs
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2012, 12:56:32 am »
you don't need complicated tests with armors etc..., find someone with 85-90 hp and shoot him naked with bodyshot at point-blanc. At first with arbalest, then with longbow. Arbalest will kill that target but longbow don't.

Offline ammeron

• Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2012, 05:25:40 pm »
you don't need complicated tests with armors etc..., find someone with 85-90 hp and shoot him naked with bodyshot at point-blanc. At first with arbalest, then with longbow. Arbalest will kill that target but longbow don't.

i've done that with and without armor, both with almost identical results

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2012, 10:01:23 pm »
i've heard that too, but i've compared my dmg tests on alts with arbalests on alt chars vs my longbow on my friend with same armor / if everything, both did almost identical damage. in theory i should do 20 less, but i never did it was always the same. so either the arbalest is penalised and doing 80 pierce or my bow is doing 100

Crossbow does not get bonus from Power Draw, Longbow does. Since it requires PD 6, your floor is there. Anything above will make the Longbow more damaging and shouldn't be part of the test.
You also have to take into account the arrows type. Make sure you are using bodkins.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 10:02:28 pm by Rumblood »
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline ammeron

• Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2012, 11:59:11 am »
Crossbow does not get bonus from Power Draw, Longbow does. Since it requires PD 6, your floor is there. Anything above will make the Longbow more damaging and shouldn't be part of the test.
You also have to take into account the arrows type. Make sure you are using bodkins.

do u even understand what the debate is about?!?! afully loomed abalest with bolts does like 99 pierce, i said i can do 98 pierce with my longbow (and obviously if i said 98 pierce that means im using bodkins...) and he said thats impossible. so i was showing him the math, but he thinks u need to subtract wpf from PD, witch technically is true, but i've tested my damage against the same target WITH MY BUILD of 10PD THAT DOES 98 PIERCE with math, vs the 99 pierce arbalest my friend has. we shot the same guy and it did the same damage with both targets / different armor types tested too.

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2012, 12:33:29 pm »
There's a random factor involved too. One test is not enough.
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline BlindGuy

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 583
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • De oppresso liber et plus ultra.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2012, 12:49:01 pm »
Longer hold time (despite anti-realism) would be a good trade-off.

i've heard that too, but i've compared my dmg tests on alts with arbalests on alt chars vs my longbow on my friend with same armor

1. Holding your bow drawn for a few seconds IRL allows you more accuracy, not less.

2. Dont ever compare crossbows and bows for balance, or any other, kind of test: Crossbows must only invest WPF. They dont even need much for repeatably accurate results. Archers must sacrifice points for PD, and almost 100% of wpf to even hope to hit anything with a longbow. Its accuracy is shit, its refire speed is hilariously bad, for some reason it weighs MORE than a horn bow, even tho hornbow has a massive leather horse sheath....

TO BALANCE ARCHERY:

Give Longbow decent accuracy. OR, much better solution:

Tag all bows that come with horse sheaths as Unusable on Foot: They arent designed for it, they are RIDIculously accurate and powerful considering how useless against armour all tiny compound recurve bows were, and are, when made from all natural components. The sheath would seriously hinder your running if worn as it is ingame, tbh it would have been attached TO THE HORSE not to the archer. Fix the weight issues also: a longbow does not weigh more than a compound recurve + sheath. It just doesnt.

I snapped that worthless longbow over my knee and swan-dove off a tower, rerolled my STF archer and guess what?

Rus bow using with 18 str and the rest AGI and pumped WPF is shooting like a beast. Fast, accurate, hard enough hitting for default arrows. I'm actually hitting people where before I couldn't get enemies past fifty meters!

I ask again, what is the point of the longbow?!

Currently no point, and players who use it do so because they care more about their style than killing. It is pathetic.

If you enjoyed 18/21 or 18/24 Rus bow, try horn bow: Its faster, lighter, and even more effective. Ugly as fuck, unrealistic to the extreme, but the most devestating of all archer weapons.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 12:51:26 pm by BlindGuy »
I don't know enough

Offline Rumblood

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2012, 05:17:17 pm »
but i've tested my damage  WITH MY BUILD of 10PD

Then its a bullshit test like I told you. PD 6 is the floor to use the Longbow. Not to mention as Blindguy pointed out that Xbows don't have to invest in strength to get the needed pre-requisites for the skills, because they don't need a skill at all, which means they can throw those points into Agility and Weapon Master for more WPF than the Longbow user can get.
So keep arguing about a test that doesn't mean squat.  :rolleyes:
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Guard_Gisbert_of_Thuringia, Guard_Bernulf_of_Thuringia, Guard_Ranulf_of_Thuringia etc...
« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2012, 10:19:20 pm »
Actually there is no need for any specific testing.

Go play a few days on battleserver and let people shoot you with longbow and with arbalests (you will find enough people with these things). After some rounds you might recognise it that arbalest deals much more damage.

And yes, comparing crossbows and bows is like comparing lance with throwing :rolleyes:

And something to the topic of longbow:  Longbow can use alot of things as a buff but what it definitely NOT needs is a buff in accuracy!

Offline Rumblood

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2012, 10:36:56 pm »
And something to the topic of longbow:  Longbow can use alot of things as a buff but what it definitely NOT needs is a buff in accuracy!

I agree. Increased missile speed and increased optimal reticule draw time would make the bow worth investing time and loom points into again.

Not accuracy, unless you can change the WPF effects for the Longbow only, giving it increased accuracy at a lower WPF than other bows.

Offline XyNox

• Marshall
  • Renown: 801
  • Infamy: 219
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Quincy Clan
  • Game nicks: Quincy_XyNox
« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2012, 11:02:18 pm »
Ive been oneshotted plenty of times with arbalests but only one time with a longbow.

I still dont agree that longbow needs no accuracy. Right now on a high PD build the tartar, the horn, rus and probably any other bow in the game is more accurate than the longbow wich is lame. Its been said dozents of times, the longbow is bugged atm, as the nocking animation at this speed rating is too slow to let you release an arrow before the reticule starts spreading. That said I would be happy if longbow would get any optimal reticle draw time as of right now it simply has none, which would also correct for the mid-long range gambling with this bow. I dont get how this obvious bug didnt get fixed till now.

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2012, 11:09:55 pm »
Ive been oneshotted plenty of times with arbalests but only one time with a longbow.

I still dont agree that longbow needs no accuracy. Right now on a high PD build the tartar, the horn, rus and probably any other bow in the game is more accurate than the longbow wich is lame. Its been said dozents of times, the longbow is bugged atm, as the nocking animation at this speed rating is too slow to let you release an arrow before the reticule starts spreading. That said I would be happy if longbow would get any optimal reticle draw time as of right now it simply has none, which would also correct for the mid-long range gambling with this bow. I dont get how this obvious bug didnt get fixed till now.

Has nothing to do with accuracy of the longbow itself. It's all about drawspeed, as you mentioned somewhere in between^^

Offline XyNox

• Marshall
  • Renown: 801
  • Infamy: 219
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Quincy Clan
  • Game nicks: Quincy_XyNox
« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2012, 04:05:23 am »
Has nothing to do with accuracy of the longbow itself. It's all about drawspeed, as you mentioned somewhere in between^^

Yes you are right. The "base accuracy" of the longbow is fine. But due to this bug there is a random chance that arrows will spread in unexplainable dircetions, just as holding the shot drawn for to long with other bows does. If this would get fixed and your arrows acutally go where you aim, Im sure then the longbow does not need an accuracy buff but as it is now, on tight shots you can never know if you going to hit the enemy or your teammate spazzing around in ruffly same location.

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2012, 04:49:39 am »
BUFF MAH LONGBOOOOOW!
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia