Author Topic: Long Bow  (Read 4242 times)

Offline ammeron

• Peasant
  • Renown: 5
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Warkittenz
Long Bow
« on: March 18, 2012, 01:47:27 pm »
The long bow is an interesting bow, i understand where they are coming from with the bow, but the way it currently is, its not even a viable option.
The bows damage is quite high, but its not even remotely worth it to use it over the rus bow due to the insane speed reduction, its way to slow.
Suggestions:
Option 1. +2-3 projectile speed / +2 speed rating (it needs something to make it more of a sniper, its hardly more accurate than the rus and the speed is crippling)
Option 2.  +1 damage / +2 speed rating (the bow would still be really slow, but it would actually be usable considering the +4 damage gained off using the rus bow)
Option 3.  +4 speed rating (this would put the bow at about the same speed reduction per damage gained as all the other bows and make it actually worth using)
Option 4.  -1 damage / +6 speed rating (this would still be a +2 dmg upgrade from the rus, with only the slight 2-3 speed penalty just as all the other bow upgrades are)
I know some archers currently use one, but quite frankly their insane, the bow is horrible the way it is right now and not worth it at all.

*btw i dont need any archery op bs in this topic, if u actually have an opinion on it feel free to state it*
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 07:36:36 pm by ammeron »

Offline Cup1d

• Count
  • Renown: 167
  • Infamy: 54
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercs
Re: Long Bow
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 02:17:55 pm »
If you are damage whore than use arbalest and be a damage whore.

All what longbow need is 48-50 projectile speed.

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 03:01:51 pm »
All what longbow need is 48-50 projectile speed.

I agree that it could need a missile speed boost but 10 more? Are you insane?
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline Arn_Magnusson

• Knight
  • Renown: 78
  • Infamy: 41
  • cRPG Player
  • "cRPG is a disgrace!" - Abraham Lincoln
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ForlorN
  • Game nicks: ForlorN_Arn_Magnusson, French_Knight_the_Coward
  • IRC nick: Arn_Magnusson
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 03:10:21 pm »
+3 Damage for Long Bow, which is atm is balanced, it's really big if you will ad the power draw mulitplier. I think it's balanced atm.

Forth option is funny it would make them almost same, and still longbow better? U mad, bro?
Rest of options is too useless, cuz current balance between them is good.

Long Bow is for killing tincans, but not for dueling with other archers with horn or rus. You need to be a sniper, hidden and lethal :D With rus bow you can be fuckin' rambo running 5 feets away from inf.

Offline Okkam

• Baron
  • Renown: 94
  • Infamy: 49
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 03:31:58 pm »

I remember how longbow has 60 projectile speed. Before this pity «projectile speed nerf»

Offline Moncho

• King
  • Renown: 1127
  • Infamy: 221
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Moncho, Some_Random_STF, Some_Random_Troll
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2012, 03:48:53 pm »

I remember how longbow has 60 projectile speed. Before this pity «projectile speed nerf»

Nah, that wasnt a nerf, at least compared with thechange in damage from bow to arrow, that was a hard hit for the longbow...
Personally, now i think that it is not balanced (look at the data from damage from cmp:

(click to show/hide)
The damage from rus bow is nearly three times as much, and nearly twice from the ak47hornbow (and in NA its even worse!).

About options for it, I would like a bit more projectile speed (42-44) and maybe a slight speed increase (52-53). I wouldnt go for more damage since damage reduces accuracy and I sometimes feel like the reticule opens too early already.

Offline Okkam

• Baron
  • Renown: 94
  • Infamy: 49
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2012, 03:52:57 pm »
I wouldnt go for more damage since damage reduces accuracy and I sometimes feel like the reticule opens too early already.

Oh. cmon, don't you ever seen throwing weapon with 120-150 accuracy? Why do you think they do it?

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2012, 05:33:00 pm »
Nah, that wasnt a nerf, at least compared with thechange in damage from bow to arrow, that was a hard hit for the longbow...
Personally, now i think that it is not balanced (look at the data from damage from cmp:
The damage from rus bow is nearly three times as much, and nearly twice from the ak47hornbow (and in NA its even worse!).

About options for it, I would like a bit more projectile speed (42-44) and maybe a slight speed increase (52-53). I wouldnt go for more damage since damage reduces accuracy and I sometimes feel like the reticule opens too early already.

Probably good numbers for "bow balance" as the situation stands now. Even the tatar bow is better than the longbow. With a MW Tatar, MW bodkins firing at Cyranule who was on a horse coming towards me slowly on rocky terrain (so very slight speed bonus as we were on the side of a mountain), I took 50% of his health with 8 PD and 5 WM against his 60 armor. With that kind of damage, why would I choose the longbow at all, ever? That doesn't even count the Horn or Rus for their extra damage boost. Now, with only WM 5 and 8 PD, even the Tatar is no longer pinpoint accurate at range (200+ yards), but so what? It regains pinpoint at around 100 yards and you can headshot again accurately at 50. You can dance around horses and still draw your bow and fire into them without needing to take out your melee weapon and the horses can't touch you 1 vs 1. 'Im dropping down to PD 7 and WM 7, which will drop the damage slightly, but I'll be pinpoint at range again. And that's the Tatar.

Quite simply, there is no reason, other than aesthetics, to use the Long Bow.
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2012, 06:44:54 pm »
Quite simply, there is no reason, other than aesthetics, to use the Long Bow.

Raw damage
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline Cup1d

• Count
  • Renown: 167
  • Infamy: 54
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercs
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2012, 07:53:39 pm »

Only this can make this bow what it must be - best bow for shooting at long distance.
Like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=TlqtSM5wP5E#t=328s

Raw damage

Raw damage do not works, if any archer with Tatar, Strong or Warbow can just spam you with arrows.
I don't care if Longbow will even trade 2 damage for 48 projectile speed.

Offline Rumblood

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2012, 09:37:40 pm »
Raw damage

Nope. I can fire 2 arrows with the Tatar Bow with 8 PD in the same time as 1 arrow from the Long Bow. At least in an archer duel. The LongBow can't get off even 1 shot without standing still (and getting headshot).
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

Offline Gisbert_of_Thuringia

• Count
  • Renown: 169
  • Infamy: 136
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: Guard_Gisbert_of_Thuringia, Guard_Bernulf_of_Thuringia, Guard_Ranulf_of_Thuringia etc...
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2012, 09:41:34 pm »
Either speed or dmg or missle speed, but not 2 or 3 different things as a buff. Longbow shall not be the most powerful bow, it shall just become viable again for those who like it.

I think +10 missile speed is too much Cup1d^^

and what OP suggested that it shall get +6 speed but less damage is crap in my opinion. We don't want longbow to be a rusbow that just looks differently.

In my opinion best would be to give longbow +2 more drawspeed. Maybe 3, but that has to be tested.

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2012, 10:09:46 pm »
Longer arrow-holding time and, perhaps, higher accuracy is what the longbow needs.

Offline Gisbert_of_Thuringia

• Count
  • Renown: 169
  • Infamy: 136
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: Guard_Gisbert_of_Thuringia, Guard_Bernulf_of_Thuringia, Guard_Ranulf_of_Thuringia etc...
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2012, 10:15:03 pm »
Accuracy is perfectly fine, get more wpf if it isn't enough for you^^

reticule staying small longer would also be something, but I still think faster drawspeed will improve that more than giving the bow +accuracy

Offline Rumblood

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2012, 10:37:45 pm »
Accuracy is perfectly fine, get more wpf if it isn't enough for you^^

reticule staying small longer would also be something, but I still think faster drawspeed will improve that more than giving the bow +accuracy

Longer hold time (despite anti-realism) would be a good trade-off. Also a faster missile speed improves accuracy due to less of a drop over distance, and would make it better than other bows at range. (You don't have to guesstimate the arc) It would also make it too fast to dodge (unlike other bows that are still slow enough for an aware melee to dodge)

+5 missile speed, Optimal reticule hold time increase to 3 seconds.