• Infamy: 193
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Fear the stache
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: MrShine
Re: Mauls
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2012, 01:39:41 pm »
+1
As others mentioned crushthrough weapons are not that frightening solo, but I need to completely change my fighting style whenever I fight a mauler so it's a nice change of pace.  But if I'm outnumbered by enemies, and one of them has a maul, I'm in trouble.

A great support weapon but not very good 1v1.  Kinda like pikes/long spears.  I think they're fine as they are.
Holy crap I have a youtube gaming channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/MrShine12345

Offline martyrAD

• Noble
  • Renown: 24
  • Infamy: 7
  • cRPG Player
  • wut?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2012, 01:46:23 pm »
As others mentioned crushthrough weapons are not that frightening solo, but I need to completely change my fighting style whenever I fight a mauler so it's a nice change of pace.  But if I'm outnumbered by enemies, and one of them has a maul, I'm in trouble.

A great support weapon but not very good 1v1.  Kinda like pikes/long spears.  I think they're fine as they are.

agree'd a solo mauler doesnt scare me, its when he has 2-3 friends with him i get scared...
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
How i get kills...

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2012, 02:49:01 am »
+1
1. Make a STF mauler, 39/3 or whatever
2. Buy a Great Maul, naked is fine armor-wise
3. Stand on top of a ladder in siege, just off to the side so ranged can't get you
4. Close your eyes and mash overheads for the entire round
5. When round ends, open eyes to see your 10+kills

On any siege maps where ladders are primary, 4 maulers can ENSURE victory for the defenders, with no counter. I'm sure they are fine on battle, but I've seen half the siege server GTX just because a few maulers coordinated on defense.

I don't know the solution, but it needs to be fixed. Maybe some kind of endurance bar so they can't just repeatedly overhead for the entire round?

« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 03:00:29 am by Phew »

Offline Diomedes

• Count
  • Renown: 200
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
  • Cat
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Sootnik_Diomedes
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2012, 03:21:28 am »
+1
I've never encountered an OP mauler.  Every class has its strengths and weaknesses.  Maulers are generally weaker against ranged enemy, cavalry, fighting more than one enemy, backpedalers , and 95+ speed weapons with more than one attack direction.  It's a big list, and nobody's fault if your class isn't on it. 

If you're having trouble try taking a faster weapon and pay more attention to your footwork.  The real trick is getting over the visceral impulse to block the giant stone aimed at your head.

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2012, 08:57:34 am »
1. Make a STF mauler, 39/3 or whatever
2. Buy a Great Maul, naked is fine armor-wise
3. Stand on top of a ladder in siege, just off to the side so ranged can't get you
4. Close your eyes and mash overheads for the entire round
5. When round ends, open eyes to see your 10+kills

On any siege maps where ladders are primary, 4 maulers can ENSURE victory for the defenders, with no counter. I'm sure they are fine on battle, but I've seen half the siege server GTX just because a few maulers coordinated on defense.

I don't know the solution, but it needs to be fixed. Maybe some kind of endurance bar so they can't just repeatedly overhead for the entire round?

4 mauler's can't ensure victory. If the other team has some maulers themselves, it's easy to break through.
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline Gnjus

• King
  • Renown: 1831
  • Infamy: 397
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Siktir git, pislik okçu.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Turklings
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2012, 09:07:31 am »
+4
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)
Do you honestly think you have any sort of moral authority, Reyiz? Go genocide some more armenians and deny it ever happened, please, and stay in the middle east.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2012, 09:09:08 am »
+4
Imo, the scariest maulers are not the STR ones, but the 21/18 ones.

Offline B3RS3RK

• Earl
  • Renown: 377
  • Infamy: 103
  • cRPG Player
  • Sexy and I know it.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Saracen_Berserkaziz_Amir
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2012, 09:16:58 am »

this.

39/3 maulers are so slow, my char can easily make a 3 course diner while he swings and still jump out of reach before he hits.
Maybe it woud be better for me to find out where you life and kill you when you are satch a Soziopath. You have enough now.
"I don´t believe in anything, I´m just here for the violence."

Offline Gnjus

• King
  • Renown: 1831
  • Infamy: 397
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Siktir git, pislik okçu.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Turklings
« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2012, 09:17:29 am »

Exactly, because they are a lot faster (harder to dance around them and outspam them) and they knockdown/crush-through pretty much the same since that's such a random mechanics. The only + in going full strength is that you can afford yourself a bit more errors with manual blocking (won't die in 1 or 2 hits) but in every other area full STR Mauler sucks - 1 on 1 he's pretty much useless, he can't avoid projectiles, can't escape couches, etc. It's a support unit heavily dependant on his team, the map, the balance, etc, even the armor he's wearing because you need heavy armor since you're gonna get hit a lot due to your slowness and headshots hurt no matter your HP. And in heavy armor you're even more slow.
Do you honestly think you have any sort of moral authority, Reyiz? Go genocide some more armenians and deny it ever happened, please, and stay in the middle east.

Offline Ninja_Khorin

• King
  • Renown: 1067
  • Infamy: 90
  • Zen
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Clan Ninja
  • Game nicks: Khorin/Keyoke/Lujan
  • IRC nick: Khorin
« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2012, 09:27:36 am »
If using a short weapon, spam.
If using a long weapon, range.

With my katana, I can spam them whenever they do an overhead and hit first, I only need to block sideswings. Seems fair to me. Both are forced to block. My katana gets stunned most of the time i block aswell.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2012, 09:38:35 am »
+1
If using a short weapon, spam.
If using a long weapon, range.

With my katana, I can spam them whenever they do an overhead and hit first, I only need to block sideswings. Seems fair to me. Both are forced to block. My katana gets stunned most of the time i block aswell.

Problem with spam however is usually your low damage versus his high armor and a slight positioning mistake might make you glance, not interrupting his overhead and getting your head smashed to paté.

Offline Phyrex

• Count
  • Renown: 192
  • Infamy: 13
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: 22nd Battalion
  • Game nicks: 22nd_Overlord_Phyrex
« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2012, 10:31:18 am »
+4
If I don't have any problem with them, why do you?

Phyrex' Very Short Guide to Maul Defence

Never thrust or overhead.

Spam left and right slashes while watching for Maul side slashes. Should you somehow fail your spam or perhaps do a thrust by mistake, kick-slash him.

As a solo-mauler, aggression and constant W-key spam is a must. Heavy armour and the slow, short weapon requires constant 'up in your face' combat tactics. An easy prey for back-peddling, spam and kick-slashing.

An experienced mauler will try a side slash and see if you block or not. If you do block it, you should, he might try doing it again, but this time do a holded side slash. This will stun your weapon and he'll try an overhead straight away, keep the kick-key ready or simply backpeddle away.

The mauler isn't that awesome at taking out turtles, it's far better at taking out support players. Flamberge, Pikes and all the 2-attack direction polearms, slow polearms, defensive/str-whore players and newbie/clueless players.(Who got none but themselves to blame.)

And of course, throughout this thread, the people who complain wield  the weapons/fit into the categories mentioned above. Amusing. Would be like me complaining at archers shooting me in an open field. Guess what? They're my counter-class, the maul might just be yours.
Free Bjordhinn!

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2012, 11:59:57 am »
If you're a 1h the mauler will probably try to go to your left when he does an overhead to try and avoid the fast leftslash. Other dangerous tricks the mauler has is preparing a side swing, wait for you to block that direction ans then change to the overhead. Takes a lot of guys by surprise, that trick
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline Gricks

• Knight
  • Renown: 58
  • Infamy: 50
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2012, 12:07:03 pm »
A mauler crutches and generally takes a butt load of hits. You miss or glance once and you are dead. You use an overhead-dead, thrust-dead. Fighting multiple people? Dead. There is just so many ways to die without you being able to do anything about it. All because of crush through.

Offline martyrAD

• Noble
  • Renown: 24
  • Infamy: 7
  • cRPG Player
  • wut?
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2012, 12:15:33 pm »
A mauler crutches and generally takes a butt load of hits. You miss or glance once and you are dead. You use an overhead-dead, thrust-dead. Fighting multiple people? Dead. There is just so many ways to die without you being able to do anything about it. All because of crush through.

Teamwork, you're doing it wrong..
How i get kills...