Author Topic: Super duper ping spikes?  (Read 946 times)

Offline Memento_Mori

• Count
  • Renown: 187
  • Infamy: 32
  • cRPG Player
  • I use these forums to hook up with hot ladies
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Memento_Mori, Sengo_Muramasa, Born_Of_Osiris,
Super duper ping spikes?
« on: March 06, 2011, 08:00:14 pm »
+1
Back to ping spiking crazy-like on NA servers for whatever reason

30 ping to 200 to 300 to 500+ and then back down again.

Anyone else get this?

edited for Hirlok :P

Was just wondering if I was the only one, I recently changed ISP because I thought that was the reason for my ping spiking, and it stopped for awhile and I even got a lower ping with it but recently it's been acting up again. Still happy I switched ISP was so slow before.

anyways thanks for the responses, I guess just gotta deal with it.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 12:39:50 am by Memento_Mori »

Offline Hirlok

• Duke
  • Renown: 624
  • Infamy: 122
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • A friendly archer decorating your ass with arrows
    • View Profile
    • Gab.ai. Freedom of Speech matters.
  • Faction: Always Take The Shot
  • Game nicks: None that you need to know of - except Hirlok the Hermit.
Re: Super duper lag spikes?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 08:28:34 pm »
[smartass mode: on]ping != lag[smartass mode: off]

I experience the same. My ping, usually constantly around 220-240, has spikes that seem not to be caused by MY crappy ISP/line.

And there are hefty lags, esp. on some custom maps. could be that those maps are bit overly complicated or have bugs and get laggy on slower computers.
Could be that the server is operating at his capacity limit. With 10-30 players I rarely experience any lags on NA siege, if there are more, things get mental...
Hermit Status report : feeling a little social. Threatening melee my old friends with a comeback. Greasing the string of his old longbow. Carving certain names into the tips of his arrows...

Offline Keshian

• King
  • Renown: 1176
  • Infamy: 992
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FCC (Bridgeburner, Unicorn, Cavalieres, Narwhal)
  • Game nicks: Red-haired bitch from hell
  • IRC nick: Bitch, pleasssse.
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 08:30:22 pm »
Yeh, on vent thats what everyone seems to be complaining about.  I am getting server side frame rate spikes varying constantly between 30-120 throughout rounds on siege server when it gets over 60 people and when the 80 man is full, but not when the NA 100 is full.  The spikes always seem to go on when go into large melees and when zooming.
http://keshoxford.com/  - Where middle-eastern meets red-hot and spicy!

"[Strat 5]... war game my ass, tis more like a popularity contest"  Plumbo

Offline Ganon

• Peasant
  • Renown: 8
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Ganon, Linkk
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 08:35:10 pm »
There have been different lag issues i the past weeks. Right now it's lagspikes, in the past we had constantly increased ping, but it doesn't do it for all players, some seem to be immune. It looks alot like a network issue to me, there must be a route that's being overloaded in the weekends and in prime time.

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 08:57:07 pm »
This may not be the issue but in the beginning of a map there is usually high ping for everyone because people are downloading the new map. This of course goes away when everyone is done downloading it. Also it doesn`t cause any lagg if everyone already has the map downloaded.
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline Hirlok

• Duke
  • Renown: 624
  • Infamy: 122
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • A friendly archer decorating your ass with arrows
    • View Profile
    • Gab.ai. Freedom of Speech matters.
  • Faction: Always Take The Shot
  • Game nicks: None that you need to know of - except Hirlok the Hermit.
Re: Super duper ping spikes?
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 12:58:38 am »
the downloading delay would not be a prob, it is over after a few seconds. But there are constant lags.

Just few minutes ago I stopped playing on NA siege - totally unplayable (missed all my shots, fell from walls even more than usual, and was raped twice in a round by a horrible doctor... ;-) )and we were just about 30 people. Earlier today it was fine, even with 60+ people. Ping about the same all day.

Guess it is really some issue with the connection of the hoster where the server is located - maybe their routing is crap, depending on where you are from.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 01:01:08 am by Hirlok »
Hermit Status report : feeling a little social. Threatening melee my old friends with a comeback. Greasing the string of his old longbow. Carving certain names into the tips of his arrows...

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
Re: Super duper ping spikes?
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 05:19:58 pm »
My ping has been spiking so that it is hardly playable now. I normally have 80 to 90 ping to the NA servers, but all this past week or so I have crazy spikes constantly, sometimes up to 400, 600, and even 800 ping. This happens nowhere except the NA servers and my internet for the most part is fine. It is awful when you can't even enjoy playing a gimmick character because you die to a sudden spike to 150+++ from the seemingly stable 100 ping that it had settled at for the past minute. What the hell.
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.