Author Topic: Remove Block from Pike and Long Spear  (Read 1126 times)

Offline Argoth

• Count
  • Renown: 232
  • Infamy: 61
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Argoth
Remove Block from Pike and Long Spear
« on: March 13, 2012, 12:18:18 am »

Offline RibaldRon

• Baron
  • Renown: 144
  • Infamy: 13
  • cRPG Player
  • why do butts
    • View Profile
  • Faction: LLJK
  • Game nicks: LLJK_RibaldRon
Re: Remove Block from Pike and Long Spear
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 12:21:40 am »
No way.

Pike has already been nerfed enough.

I'm just going to come out and say it, you must be really bad if you can't kill a pikeman whilst hugging them.  It basically takes no skill for you to spam them to death while it actually takes quite a bit of extra effort on their part to land hits.  Not only do you only need to downblock, the pike is even unbalanced, so if they start the swing when you're too close to them, it clips straight through you leaving them completely vulnerable.
signature removed: annoying
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

USA USA USA

Offline Argoth

• Count
  • Renown: 232
  • Infamy: 61
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Argoth
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 12:24:46 am »
No way.

I'm just going to come out and say it, you must be really bad if you can't kill a pikeman whilst hugging them.  It basically takes no skill for you to spam them to death while it actually takes quite a bit of extra effort on their part to land hits.  Not only do you only need to downblock, the pike is even unbalanced, so if they start the swing when you're too close to them, it clips straight through you leaving them completely vulnerable.
Im not saying I got killed by the dude, it was just ridiculous him standing there blocking with a fucking pike. The pike is a support weapon it shouldnt be used like some hero weapon.

EDIT: And I doubt any bundle of sticks on this forum could hoist that pike up and block consistently with its weight and length.

Offline Malaclypse

• King
  • Renown: 1299
  • Infamy: 146
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 12:33:46 am »
+2
Bringing up whether or not someone could do it IRL or saying that it doesn't make sense doesn't really belong on this forum, you want the Realism Board for that type of argument.
You think you're pretty smart with your dago mustache and your greasy hair.

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 12:34:13 am »
+4
i dont mind them being able to block, but being able to pointblank stab you with the shaft of the weapon is beyond retarded.  Ideally on the tip would do damage, so you could pretty much spam away at a pikeman and he'd have little chance of counter-attacking you

Offline Lemmy_Winks

• Count
  • Renown: 241
  • Infamy: 230
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Lemmy_Winks
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 07:08:26 pm »
No way.

Most of the community believes pikes need to be nerfed and have been complaining about it for awhile, its just a matter of time. People also keep saying that oh you must be bad if you cant 1v1 a pike. While a good player can 1v1 a pike, pikes are alot more fomidable in 1v1 combat than the pike fan boys let on. Problem is pikes always jump away from you to get distnace to stab you. They start out 5 ft away from you, jump and by the time they are 7 ft away from you they insta lawl stab you with a 30ft weapon in air. New players or people who forget think that they must have to be atlesate 15ft away from you to stab you and dont have to put up block right away, also jumping up infront of the person baits them into atacking you as doing this makes you vulernable when using any otehr weapon, which is why only pikes jump lawl stab. So they assume they cant be hit so close when they can infact be hit so close and thats what getes them.

And with the pierce damage and lawl stab effect it does a ton of damage. Not to mention most pikers are noobs who have to crutch with a pike as well as plate armor so killing them takes along time, and you have to pay close attention and block many lawl stabs, cause they are just instant stabs you gota be quick and have good reflexes, and again the distance thing can trick you if your not keeping it in mind. Alot of players cannot fight well enough to over come this, i see people lose 1v1s to pikers constantly. A pike in 1v1 is basically an awl pike with more reach, ya it cant overhand but no one who fights an awl piker actually thinks they are going to try to overhand them. Will i cant remember losing an actual duel to a piker, i have been stabbed by them cause with the instant jump/lawl stab you gota have quick reflexes and you cant always get block up in time. And i mean a pike is so easy to use too, far enough away u almost never have to block, you can only attack in one direction so you dont need to know how to fegin/mix up your attacks to hit your enemy, the thought of one of them trying to pick up a sword and fight someone 1 on 1 makes me lol. Playing a pike does not force you to develop any kind of combat skills when it comes to blocking and attacking, your just hitting one button all the time. Not only that, if the pikers keep saying pikes suck in 1v1 fighting, then why, when pikers end up in that situation, dont they pick up a pole arm off of a dead guy to duel the other teams last man standing? They dont, because not only would they not know how to use it, the pike can be good 1v1.

Also saying Mala, making the claim that the Pike is in fact overpowered and unrealistic but that does not matter becuase it is "balanced" this way and that this belongs in the realism forum doesnt really make sense. No one posts in the realism forum, and the two forums are the same thing anyways. The arguments people make there are for balance too, they claim changes should be made to balance the game based upon gross innacuracies in realism, so the ends are exactly the same, the means are different which is completely irrelevant, and realism implies balance to a large extent anyways. Pikes are the ultimate anti cav weapon with their reach just as they where historically, this jump/lawl stab stuff needs to end the community is sick of it. I guess you think we should make throwing rocks unrealistic to "Balance" them by having them filled with gunpowder so that they function like grenades, and if we dont like it we can take it to the realism forum to make the same argument we would be making here, that it is not realistic so it is not balanced so it must be changed. Differnt weapons are for differnt play styles, if you want to be anti cav be pike, if you want to be melle go 2h or sword and sheild, pike shouldnt be able to do everything.

If one weapon is so heavily used by such a large part of the populatin and it gets nerfed over and over again its probably OP.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 07:26:58 pm by Lemmy_Winks »

Offline Ganner

• Duke
  • Renown: 553
  • Infamy: 138
  • The other white meat
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Ganner_of_Chaos
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 09:19:20 pm »
Most of the community believes pikes need to be nerfed and have been complaining about it for awhile, its just a matter of time. People also keep saying that oh you must be bad if you cant 1v1 a pike. While a good player can 1v1 a pike, pikes are alot more fomidable in 1v1 combat than the pike fan boys let on. Problem is pikes always jump away from you to get distnace to stab you. They start out 5 ft away from you, jump and by the time they are 7 ft away from you they insta lawl stab you with a 30ft weapon in air. New players or people who forget think that they must have to be atlesate 15ft away from you to stab you and dont have to put up block right away, also jumping up infront of the person baits them into atacking you as doing this makes you vulernable when using any otehr weapon, which is why only pikes jump lawl stab. So they assume they cant be hit so close when they can infact be hit so close and thats what getes them.

And with the pierce damage and lawl stab effect it does a ton of damage. Not to mention most pikers are noobs who have to crutch with a pike as well as plate armor so killing them takes along time, and you have to pay close attention and block many lawl stabs, cause they are just instant stabs you gota be quick and have good reflexes, and again the distance thing can trick you if your not keeping it in mind. Alot of players cannot fight well enough to over come this, i see people lose 1v1s to pikers constantly. A pike in 1v1 is basically an awl pike with more reach, ya it cant overhand but no one who fights an awl piker actually thinks they are going to try to overhand them. Will i cant remember losing an actual duel to a piker, i have been stabbed by them cause with the instant jump/lawl stab you gota have quick reflexes and you cant always get block up in time. And i mean a pike is so easy to use too, far enough away u almost never have to block, you can only attack in one direction so you dont need to know how to fegin/mix up your attacks to hit your enemy, the thought of one of them trying to pick up a sword and fight someone 1 on 1 makes me lol. Playing a pike does not force you to develop any kind of combat skills when it comes to blocking and attacking, your just hitting one button all the time. Not only that, if the pikers keep saying pikes suck in 1v1 fighting, then why, when pikers end up in that situation, dont they pick up a pole arm off of a dead guy to duel the other teams last man standing? They dont, because not only would they not know how to use it, the pike can be good 1v1.

Also saying Mala, making the claim that the Pike is in fact overpowered and unrealistic but that does not matter becuase it is "balanced" this way and that this belongs in the realism forum doesnt really make sense. No one posts in the realism forum, and the two forums are the same thing anyways. The arguments people make there are for balance too, they claim changes should be made to balance the game based upon gross innacuracies in realism, so the ends are exactly the same, the means are different which is completely irrelevant, and realism implies balance to a large extent anyways. Pikes are the ultimate anti cav weapon with their reach just as they where historically, this jump/lawl stab stuff needs to end the community is sick of it. I guess you think we should make throwing rocks unrealistic to "Balance" them by having them filled with gunpowder so that they function like grenades, and if we dont like it we can take it to the realism forum to make the same argument we would be making here, that it is not realistic so it is not balanced so it must be changed. Differnt weapons are for differnt play styles, if you want to be anti cav be pike, if you want to be melle go 2h or sword and sheild, pike shouldnt be able to do everything.

If one weapon is so heavily used by such a large part of the populatin and it gets nerfed over and over again its probably OP.

Too long, didnt read, but im going to say your 100% wrong.

Buff pikes.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 09:30:01 pm »
+3
Pikes and Longspears are already hard to use because they rely on teamwork.

Don't nerf teamwork. It should be encouraged, not nerfed to oblivion by destroying team weapons.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Candiru

• Knight
  • Renown: 54
  • Infamy: 26
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: 22nd_War_Candiru
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2012, 09:45:10 pm »
+1
No way.

Yeah and killing a pikeman in battle is so easy when there's a few 2-handers and maybe a shielder :)

1on1 it's not a problem, but it's a support class. And as a support class I'd say pikes has way too much length and damage.
Human being to the mob..
What’s a mob to a king? What’s a king to a god?
What’s a god to a non-believer? Who don’t believe in anything?

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2012, 10:00:25 pm »
+1
Maybe remove blocking but give them some sort of buff aswell to compensate? I think people would do fine being unable to block with it, they could just bring a 1h as a secondary. I think 1h+pike would look pretty good, but i guess people dont think its practical or something.
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2012, 10:11:45 pm »
These two weapons shouldnt have this sort of solo ability.

EDIT: Yes this is a rage post.

This is why I don't agree with the OP.

1 they are not Solo weapons, and 2 we have enough Rage posts as it is.

OP requires a better argument to be taken seriously by more people.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2012, 10:18:13 pm »
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline MadeForFighting

• Knight
  • Renown: 75
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Basileia ton Romaion
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Wabbajack
  • IRC nick: TrueThing
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2012, 01:14:25 am »
This is plain retarded lol. Stop bringing stupid real-life arguments to a video game - no reason to kill this noble weapon just because you've got
to
learn
play

Buboes, phlegm, blood and guts! Boils, bogeys, rot and pus! Blisters, fevers, weeping sores! From your wounds the fester pours!

Offline Laufknoten

• Earl
  • Renown: 480
  • Infamy: 63
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
  • BOAT OF ANGER FLOATING ON THE SEA OF TEARS
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Felipe
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2012, 01:45:27 am »
I say no, even though I'd say that removing block wouldn't be a big nerf to the pike. A pikeman is usually fucked anyway if the enemys too close to him. Sure, he can block every hit theoretically, but if no help arrives he will die eventually, because he can't counter attack. The Long Spear is another story though.   

Offline Lange

• Baron
  • Renown: 128
  • Infamy: 36
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2012, 02:02:50 am »
Give pikes that overhead-stab as requested somewhere else. Remove blocking. Perhaps adjust speed/damage/something entirely else. Result: a both very unique and realistic weapon.