Author Topic: Teams are not fair to justify a multiplier.  (Read 1218 times)

Offline ObiWanKejoshi

• Peasant
  • Renown: 8
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Kejoshi, ObiWanKejoshi, Speedy_Kejoshi
Teams are not fair to justify a multiplier.
« on: March 12, 2012, 01:08:56 pm »
How does it work? And why does it even exist? With a proper autobalance this should be unnecessary.
I was just wondering how it works, because this morning I was playing rageball and the multiplier acted a bit weird.
First it was 4 vs 3, we scored several goals and never got a multiplier. I guess this is OK since teams were unfair, but there's no way around that with 7 people.
Later it was 7 vs 6. On the first two goals we got no multiplier, but after those we went up to x5 with the exact same teams (no players quit or changed afaik). This seems pretty weird to me.
Is this even intended or is this just buggy?

I also seem to get this sometimes on battle with teams like 33 vs 30 or something similar, not as frequent as in rageball though.

Offline larlek

• Baron
  • Renown: 140
  • Infamy: 95
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Larlik PooperScooper Larlek
Re: Teams are not fair to justify a multiplier.
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 01:11:21 pm »
Say you have two teams of 30 and at the start of the round 10 players from your team leave. Maybe they're all clan players moving server or something. At this point it would be 20 vs 30 and it wouldn't be fair enough to justify a multiplier for the team of 30 when they win.

Offline Kherr

• Noble
  • Renown: 13
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Kherr
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 01:17:52 pm »
It's not only the amout of people. I saw rounds like 8vs5 which were fair. So something like the level/xp will be taken into account also. So, e.g. a 4vs4 can be unfair because of the different levels of the player.
I am not sure whether it's the level, but it looks like.

At the end of the round you see also a number for each team. I dont know what it is. Any idea?

Offline Byrdi

• Earl
  • Renown: 489
  • Infamy: 59
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Byrdi, Swiss Chocolate, and lots of other alts
  • IRC nick: Byrdi
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 01:25:21 pm »
I once ended up with 7 vs 1 after balanced kicked in. It is hard to write something like a balance system, I guess we cant expect it to function 100% :(.
But the "teams aren't fair" - thingy, seems a bit off. I think it should be completely disabled on servers with 8+ players and strict or banner balance.

Offline ObiWanKejoshi

• Peasant
  • Renown: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Kejoshi, ObiWanKejoshi, Speedy_Kejoshi
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 09:20:30 pm »
Thanks for the answers, but that still doesn't explain why we first got no multiplier in the 7 vs 6 and a minute later with the exact same teams (unless i missed something) we did get multipliers.

Another question: Is there a minimal amount of players that has to be on the server before Multipliers (higher than x1) are enabled? Just asking because i never got one with just 2-4 players on the server.
If so - where is that amount?

Offline Kherr

• Noble
  • Renown: 13
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Kherr
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 09:59:44 pm »
Thanks for the answers, but that still doesn't explain why we first got no multiplier in the 7 vs 6 and a minute later with the exact same teams (unless i missed something) we did get multipliers.
You are right... I am not sure whether the team numbers at the end of the round are different after each round even with the same players in each team. If I happen to notice I will let you know.

Another question: Is there a minimal amount of players that has to be on the server before Multipliers (higher than x1) are enabled? Just asking because i never got one with just 2-4 players on the server.
If so - where is that amount?
Afaik yes. I remember a discussion on a siege server with about 10 player about that. I am not sure about the needed amount of players, but it should be something between 10 and 16 for both teams together. I dont know whether it's the same on battle server.

Offline Spawny

• Count
  • Renown: 152
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Templar_Spawny
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 10:33:53 am »

It's the final score that matters most I think.

If teams are equal in numbers, but one team get's steamrolled IE 10 vs 10 at start and at the end of the round it's 10 vs 0, you probably won't get your multiplier.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

The problem is even if you are number 1 in NA you are still only number 467 in EU or the worst in AUS(number 17)

Offline Dalhi

• Earl
  • Renown: 415
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Dalhi
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 10:40:25 am »
Well, teams are getting balanced before the round start, and their value to justify multiplier is calculated at the round end. In the meanwhile lots of people can just leave the game, GTX or just loose connection, I'm nearly sure that is the reason why this occurs, this things leads to some disproportions in teams value. But, it's just my guess.

Offline Crazyi

• Baron
  • Renown: 82
  • Infamy: 35
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Crazyi_KUTT, Crazyeye_KUTT, CrayCray
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2012, 03:07:46 pm »
Balance is more than likely determined by mathmatical equations and some sort of flagging system, which simply cannot account for anything other than raw data. Perhaps you could learn to code and make a better algorithim, but it still wont be flawless. Math in this scenario can't weight potential. It is probably based on the data available which can lead to less accurate results than intended. Like the others have said, it may be people joining/leaving. It may be based on how fast the whole team dies It could have something to do with the % of the team dead within x time. Too many variables. Similar to valor, it does seem rather random at times but it usually will have to meet certain parameters before it will give/deny things. I would love to know the determining variables but I highly doubt they will be revealed due to exploiting.

Offline Byrdi

• Earl
  • Renown: 489
  • Infamy: 59
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Byrdi, Swiss Chocolate, and lots of other alts
  • IRC nick: Byrdi
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2012, 07:41:47 pm »
Afaik yes. I remember a discussion on a siege server with about 10 player about that. I am not sure about the needed amount of players, but it should be something between 10 and 16 for both teams together. I dont know whether it's the same on battle server.

Its 8 for siege and battle.