Author Topic: Blocking Tips?  (Read 4412 times)

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Blocking Tips?
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2012, 04:36:36 pm »
I feel the same. Anything above 80 hampers your blocking and feints, above 120 it's practically unplayable in melee.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2435
  • Infamy: 991
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2012, 04:45:17 pm »
I find that blocking isn't a huge problem with EU ping (140-160ms for me). The biggest problem is that player positions aren't accurate, so you'll constantly find yourself missing entirely, phasing through your opponent, or glancing. It's also very difficult to counter quickly enough to prevent hiltslashes.

You're right. That's exactly how it looks. Good thing I'm used to it, it's always like that for me, no matter am I on NA or EU server. Actually on NA server I have stable 145 ping while on EU1 it goes from 40-60 during night time to 80-110 when server is near full.

That's why I'm pretty crappy dueler but still can rack decent amount of kills. Blocking and dueling skills are just part of the puzzle, another one is build and gear and your understanding of it, third one is cunning. That's why I hate archers so much, there are crafty bastards just like I am :D

Offline Grumbs

• طالبان
  • King
  • Renown: 1170
  • Infamy: 617
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2012, 05:05:27 pm »
Starting as a shielder probably has its merits as mentioned, but for me half the fun is the manual directional blocking system. I learned to play the game as a 2 hander and it is hard, but its pretty satisfying when you start getting some kills. Blocking just becomes second nature if you learn it early.

Polearm might be easier to learn with because you can take a point or 2 in shield and can take a break from manual blocking if you want while still attacking (get some spear type weapons for this). As a new player you can play a support role with polearms too, just stabbing from distance without committing to a fight. 2 handers are fine though and really force you to learn to block. 2 hander + crossbow might be good for taking breaks while still being semi useful for the team. I would get some speed for whichever you go for and some IF rather than the str builds people mentioned. Taking more hits is cool but you can avoid hits by dodging or escape from someone chasing with 6+ athletics. 5 is ok too, I just ended up with 6 in most my gens
If you have ranged troubles use this:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Bongo Fury

• Peasant
  • Renown: 4
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2012, 06:33:54 pm »
Starting as a shielder probably has its merits as mentioned, but for me half the fun is the manual directional blocking system. I learned to play the game as a 2 hander and it is hard, but its pretty satisfying when you start getting some kills. Blocking just becomes second nature if you learn it early.

Polearm might be easier to learn with because you can take a point or 2 in shield and can take a break from manual blocking if you want while still attacking (get some spear type weapons for this). As a new player you can play a support role with polearms too, just stabbing from distance without committing to a fight. 2 handers are fine though and really force you to learn to block. 2 hander + crossbow might be good for taking breaks while still being semi useful for the team. I would get some speed for whichever you go for and some IF rather than the str builds people mentioned. Taking more hits is cool but you can avoid hits by dodging or escape from someone chasing with 6+ athletics. 5 is ok too, I just ended up with 6 in most my gens

I agree, much better to do what you originally want and just dive in at the deep end, yes its sometimes fustrating as a 2h, but its much more satisfying playing at higher stakes. i honestly can't play shielder anymore, it bores me.

Offline Mosquito

• Peasant
  • Renown: 6
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2012, 10:11:28 pm »
pick something you like to play is most important because its gonna be boring learning anything

i went to the duel servers alot and i was lucky enough to find someone willing to show how to fight with wooden practice sword.........i'm still crappy, but that aint their fault its mine.

I went back today and there were practice swords:) seems the good traditions continue....awwww, what a lovely community we have :twisted:

Offline Smoothrich

• King
  • Renown: 1558
  • Infamy: 986
  • cRPG Player
  • #manup @bigplays
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2012, 10:15:47 pm »
+4
Learning how to block doesn't take too much time, now almost everyone knows how to do it.

If you're NA come to EU duel or if you're EU go to NA duel server and play there for a week. It will be extremely painful, you'll die all the time, you'll be frustrated but eventually when you come back to normal ping you'll be one of the better blockers on the battlefield.

Playing in a high ping environment is much like Goku's hyperbolic time chamber.  One hour of high ping training is like one day of normal training.  If you truly want to push your abilities as a warrior to the limit, enter the china servers.  Don't forget your senzu beans.
My posting is like a katana folded 1000 times to perfection.. and the community is what keeps the edge sharp.. and bloody.  -  Me.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2012, 10:16:11 pm »
Just look for a chap named ivani4, he'll teach you all you need to know about blocking.

Ivani4 is the best Mac player at this game.

Btw, Kapikulu and many shielders also have a tendency to attack first and think after. But at least it works because they react quickly.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 10:17:27 pm by Kafein »

Offline Boerenlater

• Marshall
  • Renown: 728
  • Infamy: 204
  • cRPG Player
  • Jebem ti život!
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Boerenlater
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2012, 10:50:08 pm »
Playing in a high ping environment is much like Goku's hyperbolic time chamber.  One hour of high ping training is like one day of normal training.  If you truly want to push your abilities as a warrior to the limit, enter the china servers.  Don't forget your senzu beans.
With 450 ping there you have no chance, you don't even see the attacks coming. And I tried playing there.

Offline MrShine

• Ragdoll Basher
  • King
  • Renown: 1156
  • Infamy: 193
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Fear the stache
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: MrShine
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2012, 11:29:11 pm »
With 450 ping there you have no chance, you don't even see the attacks coming. And I tried playing there.

Your power level is too low.
Holy crap I have a youtube gaming channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/MrShine12345

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2012, 11:33:05 pm »
Your power level is too low.

My ping is over 9 seconds.

Offline Rhaelys

• Duke
  • Renown: 509
  • Infamy: 47
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: Rhaelys_BlockLeft_of_Chaos
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2012, 12:49:08 am »
My ping is over 9 seconds.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 12:50:45 am by Rhaelys »

Quote from: Uumdi
sweet of you guys to celebrate my birthday
wait you're talking about that devils lettuce arent you, god damnit
Quote from: Kreczor
yo you want to burn some sweet romaine tonight?
Quote from: Uumdi
yeah i smoke that dirty green shit fuck iceberg

Offline 22nd_King_Plazek

• Baron
  • Renown: 87
  • Infamy: 57
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2012, 01:21:08 am »
I played NA for first month or two cause that is all there was in early Warband beta. I also used the tutorial a lot in single player as well as chose to practically never used shields ever.
I used to be pretty good but nowadays I am very rusty.

The tutorial really is the best advice.

Offline Herr_Thomas

• Baron
  • Renown: 110
  • Infamy: 29
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Wolfgang
« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2012, 05:33:23 am »
Watch the hands of your opponent.

I tell everyone I know this and it works.

Oh, and style matters way more than anything else regarding armor.

Offline Xtrah

• Noble
  • Renown: 20
  • Infamy: 10
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Merc_Xtrah
« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2012, 01:32:32 pm »
+1
Started out with just practicing. This helped me out quite a lot: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9jHcZjWw9U

Check out the other vids of reapy too, quite good. But playing and practicing is the only way imho. You can't really get taught by a video, it's like reading an instruction book through for so to do it.

Offline Largg

• Earl
  • Renown: 321
  • Infamy: 36
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2012, 01:43:45 pm »
+1
Started out with just practicing. This helped me out quite a lot: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9jHcZjWw9U

Check out the other vids of reapy too, quite good. But playing and practicing is the only way imho. You can't really get taught by a video, it's like reading an instruction book through for so to do it.

Good video, I remember watching that in awe when I first started playing.