Author Topic: Blocking Tips?  (Read 4417 times)

Offline FRANK_THE_TANK

• King
  • Renown: 1312
  • Infamy: 339
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • FluckCucker
    • View Profile
  • Faction: A Free and proud Peasant of Fisdnar!!!
  • Game nicks: FRANK_THE_TANK
  • IRC nick: Sippy sip
Re: Blocking Tips?
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2012, 01:14:29 pm »
Point then click, never the other way around. I advise trying to reaction speed block at first and then once your sick of being killed start learning how to bridge the gap.

And once you've got that down start learning to chamber block, its basically swinging into your opponents swing, diflecting it and causing a block + a follow through swing.
Fammi un pompino!

I think I have ball cancer in my right nut :(
Good news everybody! It's not nut cancer :)
Bad news everybody, I got dumped :(

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2012, 01:20:47 pm »
Go play SP. The arena provides a good blocking practice. Bots are actually less predictable than humans when it comes to attack directions so you'll learn the hard way.

Offline Anal Bleeding

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 105
  • Infamy: 132
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2012, 02:39:01 pm »
playing on single player won't help because there is no server lag or ping.
just go to a siege server and go naked with a practice longsword and try to block everyone.

Offline MrShine

• Ragdoll Basher
  • King
  • Renown: 1156
  • Infamy: 193
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Fear the stache
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: MrShine
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2012, 02:53:48 pm »
I actually do not subscribe to the theory of jumping into the manual blocking fire as a new player.

Manual blocking takes a long time to learn, and if you decide to go the route of the 2H/pole as a complete newbie expect to get consistently and immediately destroyed by the majority of the playerbase.   No one wants to get murdered continuously a few seconds into every fight, people will just quit the game for something else.

Instead I recommend being a shielder if you are new to the game and want to participate in melee, that way you can get a feel for the timing of swings and at least can participate a little more in fights.  As Rhaelys said getting an understanding of footwork is very important, and who knows you might even be able to get a few kills!

If you insist on going 2H/pole starting out I strongly recommend stacking strength and having a build like 30/9, something to absorb a bunch of blows.
Holy crap I have a youtube gaming channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/MrShine12345

Offline reaperkiller

• Knight
  • Renown: 36
  • Infamy: 7
  • cRPG Player
  • The bird of Hermes is my name Eating my Wings to
    • View Profile
  • Faction: make me Tame
  • Game nicks: Invictus Praetor
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2012, 03:03:31 pm »
yes i agree.....  if you start as a  pole and 2hd is a bad idea.

personally i started as a shielder 21/18 was my build and when my shield was destroyed i usually  got raped but slowly and steady when this kept happening i noticed my blocking was becoming really easier . one day i retired picked up a 2 hd  and after an hour of duels server i was raping with 2 hd as a weebo my old friend .   soo start as a shielder mate!!!
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! SOULS FOR THE SOUL EATER!! LET THE WORLD BURN!!!!!

Offline Gnjus

• King
  • Renown: 1831
  • Infamy: 397
  • Siktir git, pislik okçu.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Turklings
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2012, 03:03:51 pm »
+4
Just look for a chap named ivani4, he'll teach you all you need to know about blocking.
Do you honestly think you have any sort of moral authority, Reyiz? Go genocide some more armenians and deny it ever happened, please, and stay in the middle east.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2012, 03:05:00 pm »
Just look for a chap named ivani4, he'll teach you all you need to know about blocking.

best

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2012, 03:09:46 pm »

Haha, true dat.

Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA

Offline Dan lol

• Count
  • Renown: 294
  • Infamy: 20
  • cRPG Player
  • ROLLINROLLINROLLINROLLIN
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: If you can't handle me at my durst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my fredst.
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2012, 03:09:59 pm »
+4
people who go shielder before learning to manual block are the reason there are so many "1h's are slower than 2h/pole!" threads

Just pick up a big sword and work on it until you get it

JABONRA
His mother's asshole, I tragedy

Offline Herkkutatti666

• Duke
  • Renown: 585
  • Infamy: 285
  • cRPG Player
  • Rips pärs
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2012, 03:14:45 pm »
press right mouse button  :wink:

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1348
  • Infamy: 1890
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2012, 03:25:06 pm »
Learning how to block doesn't take too much time, now almost everyone knows how to do it.

If you're NA come to EU duel or if you're EU go to NA duel server and play there for a week. It will be extremely painful, you'll die all the time, you'll be frustrated but eventually when you come back to normal ping you'll be one of the better blockers on the battlefield.

Offline SixThumbs

• Duke
  • Renown: 567
  • Infamy: 60
  • cRPG Player
  • Consumer Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2012, 03:40:55 pm »
The most important part of learning martial arts is your 50kg turtle shell.
And how!

Offline Vodner

• Duke
  • Renown: 526
  • Infamy: 73
  • cRPG Player
  • SaulCanner
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SaulCanner
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2012, 03:51:10 pm »
If you're NA come to EU duel or if you're EU go to NA duel server and play there for a week. It will be extremely painful, you'll die all the time, you'll be frustrated but eventually when you come back to normal ping you'll be one of the better blockers on the battlefield.
I find that blocking isn't a huge problem with EU ping (140-160ms for me). The biggest problem is that player positions aren't accurate, so you'll constantly find yourself missing entirely, phasing through your opponent, or glancing. It's also very difficult to counter quickly enough to prevent hiltslashes.

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2012, 03:54:46 pm »
I find that blocking isn't a huge problem with EU ping (140-160ms for me). The biggest problem is that player positions aren't accurate, so you'll constantly find yourself missing entirely, phasing through your opponent, or glancing. It's also very difficult to counter quickly enough to prevent hiltslashes.

This. I play NA from time to time and blocking is no problem. Teleporting and positioning/glancing is the problem. However, it's right what Leshma says, you will become a better blocker by playing with a bad computer/bad ping for a while. I experienced that when I had my laptop for repair for a few weeks, played on an awful computer, and I felt like an autoblocker when my laptop returned. :lol:
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2012, 03:56:07 pm »
Agree. Even going from 70 ping to 40 ping was noticable for me.