Author Topic: Ranged Balance  (Read 1928 times)

Offline Zlisch_The_Butcher

• King
  • Renown: 1272
  • Infamy: 971
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction: Frisian Church of Mork The Goat God
  • Game nicks: Zlisch
  • IRC nick: IRC nick: Tears
Ranged Balance
« on: March 05, 2012, 08:00:03 pm »
+6
I'm but a thrower (HT to be honest, not the best one either), I've however always considered my judgement somewhat fair, I've felt like posting this for a while but due to being a HT and thinking HT desperately needs some kind of buff I was to ashamed to start such a thread until these (
(click to show/hide)
) were put out there by cmp. IMO there are several balance issues with ranged atm I believe for bows long bow needs a really small accuracy or damage buff for it to be better than the rus bow at something, but besides from that I see no real issues in balance between bows. I find the xbow balance pretty good aswell (but buff hunting reload speed a bit IMO). throwing balance I can testify is great, lots of variety for different playstyles, builds, etc. But while the in-class balance seems fine the balance vs everything else is quite flawed IMO.
Bows: I mostly find bows being really unfair to infantry, not due to being able to hit and severely damage them, but due to being able to eternally run away, I think if bows got the following tweeks it'd be a lot nicer: Movement penalty to aiming nearly 100% removed, a large speed nerf (I assume this would be possible by making bows weight huge amounts) so that all balanced none-100%black-armor builds can eventually catch up with archers, ofcourse archers could drop their bows in order to flee which I guess there is nothing to do about. As it is now archers outrun nearly everything (aware archers can deal with cav piss easy (even me who sucks with my archer build can deal with cav if I am properly aware) and as only the naked 3/30 builds can catch our current archers there is not much reason to go HA, I believe if ranged wants to outrun melee they'll need to get a horse and the damage/accuracy nerfs that comes with one.
I know not much about xbows and am therefor not sure exactly how things are for them so TBH I don't have much input here.
I consider throwing properly balanced in all ways I can think of, both against melee and other ranged.
My last part in this post is about HTs, who I (after using around twelve jarrids to down a heavy horse (yes, I actually scavange all my pre-thrown weapons in order to have more ammo once I'm not threatened) I believe throwing needs a buff on horseback, we got shitty ammo (I believe max you can get with throwing knifes is around one stack of normal arrows but I haven't used them for ages and ain't sure), shitty accuracy, etc, I believe throwing was meant to be a low accuracy low ammo scavenger class, but I do not believe it should take an entire stack to kill a heavy horse... so I'd suggest a small damage buff or for speed bonus to exist a tiny bit for HT (I still feel like shit for suggesting a buff to my own playstyle. :( ) That's essentially my post.
Hope I can get some real opinions on balance for once instead of "I should kill everyone, no one should kill me."... etc.
EDIT: NEW RULE TO THIS THREAD, EVERYTHING THAT HAS BEEN POSTED SO FAR DOES NOT GO UNDER THE RULE, EVERYTHING ELSE WILL, INSTEAD OF TYPING HORSE YOU MUST TYPE HORSIE, FURTHER ODD RULES WILL BE ADDED WHEN I FEEL LIKE IT, BEING A THREAD OP IS LIKE BEING GODz.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 11:44:43 pm by Zlisch_The_Butcher »
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline MrShine

• Ragdoll Basher
  • King
  • Renown: 1156
  • Infamy: 193
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Fear the stache
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: MrShine
Re: Ranged Balance
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 08:24:15 pm »
There are things I agree and disagree with in your post, but completely aside from that -

I don't think those numbers that cmp pulled should be used as any indication for balance, because we don't have the #s of players who are doing this.  For example yes horse throwers do little damage, but they are also very rare.

Similarly 2H and poles in general do a bunch of damage, but I think there are a lot more players who go those classes so obviously then the total server damage % for those will be higher.

Until there is some more clarification around those numbers using that as an indication something needs to be buffed/nerfed is only seeing part of the picture.
Holy crap I have a youtube gaming channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/MrShine12345

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 08:32:00 pm »
There are things I agree and disagree with in your post, but completely aside from that -

I don't think those numbers that cmp pulled should be used as any indication for balance, because we don't have the #s of players who are doing this.  For example yes horse throwers do little damage, but they are also very rare.

Similarly 2H and poles in general do a bunch of damage, but I think there are a lot more players who go those classes so obviously then the total server damage % for those will be higher.

Until there is some more clarification around those numbers using that as an indication something needs to be buffed/nerfed is only seeing part of the picture.
Ofcourse, but just saying the 0.08% gave me the courage to post my thoughts on balance.
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline Wraist

• Knight
  • Renown: 44
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 08:59:28 pm »
What if the .08% of the damage due to throwers is from .01% of the population? But anyway, buff throwing lances.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 09:03:34 pm by Wraist »

Offline Slamz

• Earl
  • Renown: 386
  • Infamy: 112
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Norse Horde
  • Game nicks: NH_Slamz
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 09:37:08 pm »
+3
The real issue is people hate dying to thrown weapons.  Actually they hate dying to ranged in general but I think throwing bugs them even more.

So most people, I think, would just as soon throwing remain underpowered for all time.  That makes them happy and they sleep soundly at night content in the knowledge that throwing is underpowered and always will be.  It's not a question of balance -- it's a question of clear intent to make sure it's NOT balanced and never becomes so.

Really I would like to see one of two things happen to throwing:
a) Make it more dangerous.  People should not run around with a +3 heavy throwing axe in their brain.  It's rude.  They should fall down and die like any considerate person would.

or

b) Make it easier to do.  I give up a tremendous amount of wpf, not to mention skill points, in order to do basically what every crossbowman can do for free, which is, once in a while, kill someone with a ranged attack.  I'd like to see the wpf formulas, at least, adjusted so that I don't need 97 wpf in throwing just to pick up and use heavy throwing axes while wearing mid-range armor (light kuyak, mail gauntlets, nordic warlord helm).  I tried to go PT 6 one time and it just wasn't worth it.  PS 6 is basically the minimum for melee but PT 6 for throwing is really too costly for what it gets you, especially considering the armor restrictions and wpf requirements to be able to pick your ammo back up!

Basically, we shouldn't have to cripple ourselves to use throwing.

Or if we do, then throwing should be a lot more effective.  I mainly stick with it because it's a pretty reliable defense against cavalry attacks.  It's not even so much that it's deadly against horses but rather, cavalry just doesn't like getting hit at all and I will almost always hit them if they come anywhere near me, so lots of them steer away when they see I have a throwing axe.

Throwing as an anti-infantry weapon is basically a gimmick build, though.  It's just not reliable enough and there are too many downsides.  I don't think it's a coincidence that Rohypnol settled into horse crossbowman after brief stints as thrower and horse thrower.  Crossbows (especially mounted) are vastly superior to throwing -- more ammo, reliable one-shot kills to the head, and it doesn't require any wpf, which means you also don't need any points in WM.

In all honesty, the only reason I'm a hybrid thrower and not a crossbowman is because my clan restricts crossbows (not Viking enough).

There is a certain amount of endless hilarity in killing someone with a throwing axe.  I think it's the funniest thing in the game and it never gets old, especially when it hits them in the head, but it's still really just a gimmick, and my punishment for the occasional axe hit is the sacrifice of 4 skill points into PT and whole lot of wpf points that could have gone into making my 2H better instead.  I do like the versatility but it's no great coincidence that all of the "great killers" of cRPG tend to be pure 2H or pure polearm with no throwing what-so-ever, despite its apparent uses.
Crush your enemies; see them driven before you; hear the lamentations of their women.
Norse Horde

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 09:49:53 pm »
I hate dying to crossbows more than to throwers. Less love for xbows, more for throwers. (xbows require far less skill points invested to be effective)

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 10:15:32 pm »
There is a certain amount of endless hilarity in killing someone with a throwing axe.  I think it's the funniest thing in the game and it never gets old, especially when it hits them in the head, but it's still really just a gimmick, and my punishment for the occasional axe hit is the sacrifice of 4 skill points into PT and whole lot of wpf points that could have gone into making my 2H better instead.  I do like the versatility but it's no great coincidence that all of the "great killers" of cRPG tend to be pure 2H or pure polearm with no throwing what-so-ever, despite its apparent uses.
I use throwing lances as my melee weapon, low damage and length isn't great but everything else is, I've learned tactics to trick most melee into not blocking my melee, etc. It's throwing damage is huge but still, outside EU_3 (which players who doesn't wanna fight a thrower can say "no throwing" before accepting my request and if I agree then throwing IS banable there) there isn't enough slots for that weapon to be useful.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 02:20:40 pm by Zlisch_The_Butcher »

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 12:10:55 am »
I myself have a HT alt and have 8PT, i can sometimes onehit archers with my throwing lance but then with javelins and throwing axes it takes multiple hits(3+) even on archers which i think it ridiculous since archers should be very squishy. I agree that HT's should get a buff, and i read somewhere that you get a damage penalty when mounted and maybe this could be decreased?
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2012, 01:03:31 am »
+1
I myself have a HT alt and have 8PT, i can sometimes onehit archers with my throwing lance but then with javelins and throwing axes it takes multiple hits(3+) even on archers which i think it ridiculous since archers should be very squishy. I agree that HT's should get a buff, and i read somewhere that you get a damage penalty when mounted and maybe this could be decreased?
As I do believe the nature of throwing is fast, not accurate, not long range, but damaging hits, so I approve. Infact whenever I take out HA horses I end up bumping and stabbing them with my jarrids to death. It takes a few throws to kill them AND it's hard as fuck to hit an archer in such a position (I use steppe horse, one of the best-turning horses ingame).
I however find it sorta sad that this thread has turned into a "BUFF THROWING" thread. :( Main reason I made it was that I think it's unfair for none-HA to be able to outrun the average melee.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 01:04:43 am by Zlisch_The_Butcher »

Offline duurrr

• Knight
  • Renown: 65
  • Infamy: 97
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: kekeeke
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2012, 02:43:54 am »
range will always be retarded because any derpies can kill the best player with it

shit will never be balanced ever, sorry

Offline Torost

• Count
  • Renown: 292
  • Infamy: 109
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2012, 07:00:50 am »

Even if you have the numbers, there is a difference in levels. It is hard to find meaningfull data. Crossbows can be usefull as peasantweapons, before you got any PS,PD,PT. Katana is a low req. weapon.. meaning it will get used more while leveling.
Mounted archers and throwers will always be neglible, since it is only viable at the top end of a gen... comparing apples with apples is really hard in crpg :)

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2012, 02:05:19 pm »
I know someone who  would agree with you whole heartedly on the HT *cough* Lorenzo *cough*.

I'd be for giving HT a buff. The issue is that you can't solely buff HT. It'll effect both footmen and horsemen. If you changed anything to do with HA skill then it would change HA and HC as well. It's complicated and the reason why archery changes are hard to balance when taking into consideration HA. A general throwing damage buff might be nice though. It isn't a very strong class at the moment.

Offline Zandieer

• Baron
  • Renown: 87
  • Infamy: 25
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2012, 02:53:59 pm »
I agree with you. HT is the funniest class to play as :lol:

Edit: stupid iPad

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2012, 11:30:30 pm »
As pointed out by MrShine, without the backing statistics those numbers don't mean much by themselves.

You have some interesting ideas, but you can throw this one back into the refuse heap.

Bows: I mostly find bows being really unfair to infantry, not due to being able to hit and severely damage them, but due to being able to eternally run away,

1: Get more athletics
2: Get a Horse
3: An archer CAN NOT run away forever. Everytime we shoot it slows us down and infantry gains.
4: And oh yes, get a shield.

I realize that a 30/3 will never catch any archer ever, but that's their own problem, not the game balance.
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2012, 11:41:45 pm »
As pointed out by MrShine, without the backing statistics those numbers don't mean much by themselves.

You have some interesting ideas, but you can throw this one back into the refuse heap.

1: Get more athletics
2: Get a Horse
3: An archer CAN NOT run away forever. Everytime we shoot it slows us down and infantry gains.
4: And oh yes, get a shield.

I realize that a 30/3 will never catch any archer ever, but that's their own problem, not the game balance.
1. Get more athletics: I'd pretty much have to wear no armor (last build, 4ath sure didn't stand a chance at catching archers (melee alt) and use a near-pure agi build.
2. Already said every archer with the 'least bit of awareness can take out cav (heck even me (I suck as an archer) take 'em out piss easy when I am aware (Have not played on this alt much, most of it was in-aware aswell, just sayin' whenever I payed the 'least attention cav can't do shit).
3. Just run some more and you get long enough away to shoot again, you'd only get catched if you shot too often. (also the same with speed-xbows but their reloading takes way longer and forces them to stand still so they can shoot WAY less.
4. Same response archers who didn't give two shits about balance gave to anti-ladder threads (not claiming you're pro roofcamping, but if you are I do not believe it's worth discussing balance with you).
5. Main reason I suggested this was to remove a lot of frustration from the game, and to slightly buff HA  (as I've said with cav not being a big issue, with it being easier to dodge arrows from foot, with HAs getting damage and accuracy penalties (ain't exactly sure how they work tbh), I also suggested buffing archers in quite a few ways which include no super giant reticule while moving, and (ain't sure if I remembered to post it) making archery take little enough WPF for you to be able to use a melee weapon decently, and wear somewhat ok armor. Finally I do believe if you want to be unreachable get a horsie, not drop all your armor and become an archer.
BTW: As I pointed out to mistershine I was simply stating that those numbers game me the confidence needed to post this thread, and my sig...
...it's just for the lolz.
Zandieer I dig your new sig badly, if I where half as rich as my "0,08%" sig makes me seem I'd give you another 50k.  :mrgreen:
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 11:42:51 pm by Zlisch_The_Butcher »