Author Topic: Convert Throwing Lances to Roman Pilums  (Read 3325 times)

Offline Solidox

• Peasant
  • Renown: 2
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Convert Throwing Lances to Roman Pilums
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2011, 11:30:39 am »
So let me get this right, You want throwers to get a weapon to take out shielders... the throwers weakness. While we are at it why don't we give horsemen the lance of comp again but add thrust as well just so they can deal with those pesky pikes.

Offline Dexxtaa

• King
  • Renown: 1268
  • Infamy: 200
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Remnant_Dexxtaa
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2011, 04:44:00 pm »
So let me get this right, You want throwers to get a weapon to take out shielders... the throwers weakness. While we are at it why don't we give horsemen the lance of comp again but add thrust as well just so they can deal with those pesky pikes.

There are plenty of people killer throwing weapons out there. It doesn't make sense to have the single, most powerful weapon in the game to be a RANGED weapon at the same time.

I really like this idea of pilums. It might be the only throwing weapon that actually worked well back in the day.

If a name change was implemented to "Pilum," it might even end up with me flinging those things around. Brings me back to Battlefield2142.

AYE ??  AYE ??

Pilum??? AYE?!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Armbrust_Schtze

• Knight
  • Renown: 72
  • Infamy: 110
  • cRPG Player
  • (being watched)
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Philip :)
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2011, 05:19:30 pm »
marathon dont be stupid. mount & blade warband/crpg is set in middle ages. even today no one uses 17th guns in military.

so the medieval ppl didnt use acient stuff either.
This masterwork bolt will send you straight to hell Tincan!

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2011, 05:24:38 pm »
marathon dont be stupid. mount & blade warband/crpg is set in middle ages. even today no one uses 17th guns in military.

Well, no, as 17th century guns are vastly inferior. That argument doesn't really apply to the pilum as it would not be inferior at all.
Besides, it is just an elongated throwing spear designed to stick into shields. Really, besides realism =/= this mod. We have samurai gear and giant plated chargers in this mod, you know?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 05:26:01 pm by Marathon »
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2011, 05:39:51 pm »
We already use "useless" crap in this fake setting, seeing as the time range is from 800 to 1450 fro these things, or even worse actually considering there are Spanish Conquistador weaponry and armor in this mod.

Actually I may as well next week end take all of the available "to buy" stuff and categorize it by year and publish it on these forums, just so we can all see the massive time divergence. This mod goes far beyond the middle ages and right into the renaissance, yet conversely predates a lot of middle-age weaponry by sporting weapons and armor that were only in use during the consolidation of Britannia.

Why? Well, I think because 1 it is a game 2 it is fun and 3 people like ninjas (that are really shinobi).
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline jspook

• Noble
  • Renown: 17
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • Auphan
  • Game nicks: Pit
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2011, 07:07:28 pm »

False.  Medieval people used lots of ancient weaponry.  They used whatever was on hand, actually.  And where do you think seige towers came from?  Most effective seige weaponry was designed in the BC and remained effective weapons until the advent of the cannon.  Some weapons remained in use and unchanged in style for almost a thousand years before gunpowder changed everything.  Look at the bow and arrow, for instance.  And yes, the Pilum was still in use in the middle ages even if the roman armors and shields were not. 
One of the main reason the roman armors were discarded was that they were too expensive to produce.  Rome, as an empire had vast resources.  the small fiefdoms that emerged after its collapse, did not.  and yet...  the style of roman armor still endured and transformed into more inexpensive armor types, like the Cuirass which lasted through most of the middle ages and well into the age of gunpowder.

Your assumtions, sir, are wrong.
"Scissors needs a nerf because he beats me every time, but rock is just fine" - paper

Offline Khalim

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2011, 07:10:42 pm »
Your assumtions, sir, are wrong.

Does not matter. He has the right point of view. I also think that ancient weapons do not fit into the time of mount and blade. It would be like mixing different genres. And it does not matter if it was realistic or not. The atmosphere would change to a saturedays mod, where the designer puts all stuff into, what he has.
" ME LONG WOOD PIECE WITH SHARP STONE AT PEAK.ME COME RIDE TO YOU ON BIG ANIMAL FAST."

Offline jspook

• Noble
  • Renown: 17
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • Auphan
  • Game nicks: Pit
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2011, 07:17:26 pm »
Does not matter. He has the right point of view. I also think that ancient weapons do not fit into the time of mount and blade. It would be like mixing different genres. And it does not matter if it was realistic or not. The atmosphere would change to a saturedays mod, where the designer puts all stuff into, what he has.

And it isnt, already???  with all the ninjas and Samurai and Chinese Warlords running around in Europe at that timeframe??

The game is about having fun with a balanced hand to hand combat system. (and archery)

The key word here was FUN

As long as the items are introduced into the game with the proper balances in place, then there shouldnt be an issue for anyone.  This nonsense about aesthetics was out the window as soon as they decided to throw in all of the eastern weapons and play styles.

And while we are at it, I would LOVE to see the flamboyant conquistador armors and weapons introduced into the game.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 07:19:32 pm by jspook »
"Scissors needs a nerf because he beats me every time, but rock is just fine" - paper

Offline Memento_Mori

• Count
  • Renown: 187
  • Infamy: 32
  • cRPG Player
  • I use these forums to hook up with hot ladies
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Memento_Mori, Sengo_Muramasa, Born_Of_Osiris,
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2011, 07:24:43 pm »

how do shielders counter throwers?

They have an abundance of bonus against shield weapons, I fail to see this logic please explain.

I think we're playing different games, are you playing Mount & Blade, Mount & Blade: Warband, or are you playing Mount & Blade: C-rpg?

Mount & Blade: C-rpg makes it fit because it's C-rpg, it's not Mount & Blade :Europe 1267, or any similarly specific title. So maybe it does fit, and you're just looking at it the wrong way. There are plenty of other mods that try to stay as close to historically accurate as possible, maybe that's what you're looking for.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 07:36:53 pm by Memento_Mori »

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2011, 07:26:09 pm »
Tell you what, if we take out EVERYTHING samurai and ninja and the few early renaissance stuff, then I will stop asking for Roman stuff.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Diomedes

• Count
  • Renown: 200
  • cRPG Player
  • Cat
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Sootnik_Diomedes
« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2011, 09:47:25 pm »

Sort of like:
- how archers can use pikes to kill pesky horsemen
- how 2h/polearm players can use crossbows and throwing weapons to kill archers
- how 2h/polearm players can use axes to destroy shields
- how horsemen can use crossbows to kill pikemen

This isn't Runescape - rock doesn't always beat scissors here.

ADDED:
The game is about having fun with a balanced hand to hand combat system. (and archery)

And while we are at it, I would LOVE to see the flamboyant conquistador armors and weapons introduced into the game.

Totes.  Certainly more fun than The Deadliest Warrior.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 09:57:39 pm by Diomedes »

Offline MountedRhader

• Count
  • Renown: 222
  • Infamy: 89
  • cRPG Player
  • Farewell, I am free
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2011, 12:12:07 am »
And it isnt, already???  with all the ninjas and Samurai and Chinese Warlords running around in Europe at that timeframe??

The key word here was FUN

As long as the items are introduced into the game with the proper balances in place, then there shouldnt be an issue for anyone.  This nonsense about aesthetics was out the window as soon as they decided to throw in all of the eastern weapons and play styles.

Agreed.

Offline Armbrust_Schtze

• Knight
  • Renown: 72
  • Infamy: 110
  • cRPG Player
  • (being watched)
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Philip :)
« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2011, 12:27:05 am »
i like my warband medieval and my games realistic! have to fight everyday with any samurai great heklmet combinations i see...dont make it worse
This masterwork bolt will send you straight to hell Tincan!

Offline Solidox

• Peasant
  • Renown: 2
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2011, 03:31:40 am »
Sort of like:
- how archers can use pikes to kill pesky horsemen
- how 2h/polearm players can use crossbows and throwing weapons to kill archers
- how 2h/polearm players can use axes to destroy shields
- how horsemen can use crossbows to kill pikemen

This isn't Runescape - rock doesn't always beat scissors here.

The thing about using other weapons to take out their counter is they have to go out of their main skillset in order to do so.

-Archers can use pikes yes, But they are going to be no where near as effective as a pure polearm pikeman.
-2h/Pole can use crossbow and throwing but are not going to be accurate and if they do invest wpf into throwing/crossbow they will have to gimp their build
-2h/polearm IS the anti turtle class
-Horsemen once again will be at a loss using crossbow+bolt+shield+lance they will have no weapon if knocked off horse + the repair cost for all of that would be staggering.

If you want a weapon to take out shield so do what everyother class does and just grab something from another skill set. Grab an axe and go in and swing. What you are asking for is a one all class that has no counters.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 03:32:52 am by Solidox »

Offline Diomedes

• Count
  • Renown: 200
  • cRPG Player
  • Cat
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Sootnik_Diomedes
« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2011, 04:39:18 am »
What you are asking for is a one all class that has no counters.

I said no such thing.  I was merely pointing out that builds are more malleable than you seemed to be assuming.  My personal preference is for throwers to be a jack of all trades but master of none.  That way they can fight enemy at range, while not being as accurate as other ranged types, and can use their alternate attack in close quarters, while not being as statistically dangerous against pure hand-to-hand builds.