Author Topic: A Few Suggestions for NA Battle Servers  (Read 1550 times)

Offline Ghazan

• Peasant
  • Renown: 2
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Ghazan_of_Karakorum
A Few Suggestions for NA Battle Servers
« on: March 03, 2011, 12:47:44 am »
+1
1) Increase the game length by 3-5 minutes.  There are too many draws as is.  Nothing worse than losing a 5X multiplier when there are 2-3 guys left dueling it out and they dont have time to finish.  I understand the short limit pre-patch as dead people dont gain xp, but we do now so why the big rush??

2) Introduce a flat open map... grassy flatlands, steppes inland, whatever you want to call it.  Does every single map have to be a city or castle?  Even the "open maps" we do get have some ruins or buildings for infantry to hide in.  I'm talking about a wide open map with no cover except for maybe a few scattered trees.  These maps are very popular in the native battle servers and introduce new tactics and teamwork formations etc...  There still seems to be a bit of that lingering cluster mentality among the crpg community but 1 open map in the rotation will not hurt anyone (except for maybe the people who choose only to go pure 1h with no secondary, but thats their choice)

3) Maybe a bit selfish but decrease the time it takes to go from 1-30 and increase proportionately the time it takes to go from 30-31.  I have a hybrid build and dont get to fully use my build the way I want until I get to lvl 30.  I have to invest into strength early to meet gear requirements, but I need agility for weapon mastery because Im investing into 2 weapon slots.  I love playing my build at lvl 30 but it seems to go by too quickly, and 1-30 not fast enough. 

Yay or nay?

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
Re: A Few Suggestions for NA Battle Servers
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 01:05:54 am »
2) Introduce a flat open map... grassy flatlands, steppes inland, whatever you want to call it.  Does every single map have to be a city or castle?  Even the "open maps" we do get have some ruins or buildings for infantry to hide in.  I'm talking about a wide open map with no cover except for maybe a few scattered trees.  These maps are very popular in the native battle servers and introduce new tactics and teamwork formations etc...  There still seems to be a bit of that lingering cluster mentality among the crpg community but 1 open map in the rotation will not hurt anyone (except for maybe the people who choose only to go pure 1h with no secondary, but thats their choice) 
So... we don't already have enough maps where archers and cav completely rape face while the infantry huddles behind limited cover (that random rock to the left) praying they'll kill each other so that the infantry can come out and play as well?  We need one titled "LOL FUCK YOU MELEE FOOTMEN!" as well?  If this map gets added please lets all keep map votes turned on just for this map so we can bypass it.
3) Maybe a bit selfish but decrease the time it takes to go from 1-30 and increase proportionately the time it takes to go from 30-31.  I have a hybrid build and dont get to fully use my build the way I want until I get to lvl 30.  I have to invest into strength early to meet gear requirements, but I need agility for weapon mastery because Im investing into 2 weapon slots.  I love playing my build at lvl 30 but it seems to go by too quickly, and 1-30 not fast enough. 

So what double digit gen are you that 30-31 doesn't take for fucking ever?  I'm rapidly losing interest in playing for more than a round or two at a time anymore because as a gen1 or gen2 (3 main toons, only one has managed to hit retirement so far) the grind from 30-31 is taking ages and ages while the double digit gen guys are retiring faster and faster and gaining entire arsenals of heirloomed items.  It kind of seems like you want to fuck over anyone that isn't a 10+ gen cav or archer.
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?

Offline Kalam

• Duke
  • Renown: 697
  • Infamy: 163
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Never do an enemy a small injury.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Linebreakers
  • Game nicks: Cavalieres_Midnighter, Dunsparrow
  • IRC nick: Kalam
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 01:09:07 am »

The Fallen Ones server has those.

Offline Ghazan

• Peasant
  • Renown: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Ghazan_of_Karakorum
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 02:52:02 am »
So... we don't already have enough maps where archers and cav completely rape face while the infantry huddles behind limited cover (that random rock to the left) praying they'll kill each other so that the infantry can come out and play as well?  We need one titled "LOL FUCK YOU MELEE FOOTMEN!" as well?  If this map gets added please lets all keep map votes turned on just for this map so we can bypass it.

There are far more infantry friendly maps than cav friendly ones.  There are lots of maps where you cant even take cav.  An open map with rolling hills isnt "LOL FUCK YOU MELEE FOOTMEN!" but it definately favors cav and archers more.  We could replace that weird castle map that doesnt even make sense.  You know the one that has the stairway to nowhere.  The infantry just have to co-ordinate and huddle together a bit to protect the archers.  Im not sure if youre a total war player but grassy flatlands is by far the most played map in multiplayer for classic medieval battle tactics.  Like I said, its the melee's choice if they want to be 1 dimensional or not.  They could easily spare a few points to invest into crossbow, throwing, or polearm.  BTW Im primarily a melee 1 hander myself, but I made my build to be capable on all maps, not just the tight corridor ones.

So what double digit gen are you that 30-31 doesn't take for fucking ever?  I'm rapidly losing interest in playing for more than a round or two at a time anymore because as a gen1 or gen2 (3 main toons, only one has managed to hit retirement so far) the grind from 30-31 is taking ages and ages while the double digit gen guys are retiring faster and faster and gaining entire arsenals of heirloomed items.  It kind of seems like you want to fuck over anyone that isn't a 10+ gen cav or archer.

I just got to gen 5 now (all post patch)  I only played native before as the crpg gameplay didnt interest me before then.  I originally had 2 chars, but quickly realized its better to just stick with 1.  Im 1h + polearm hybrid with 4 points in riding.  Its a solid build that lets me play well on all maps when I get to a high enough level.  The cluster maps I can top the charts easy as thats what my build is geared towards, and on the open maps I get get into the top 3-5 easy with my cav (even though I still get most of my kills when my horse dies)   

This is what Im gonna stick with the most, but if I need a change then maybe Ill go 2h, or archer for a gen but still use my heirloom point towards my main build.  I have fun playing with my full char so for me it doesnt take forever. 

I dont want to screw anyone over who isnt 10 + cav or archer but just trying to introduce variety into the rotation.  Like I said, 1 open map isnt going to kill anyone.

Offline ShinySpoons

• Baron
  • Renown: 143
  • Infamy: 16
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: RS
  • Game nicks: AltOfSpoons
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 03:06:33 am »
The advantage of having multiple characters is being able to play all the maps with an effective char. Sure its less effective grind wise, but theres less frustration and so much more worth it in terms of fun.

Offline jspook

• Noble
  • Renown: 17
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • Auphan
  • Game nicks: Pit
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 03:09:41 am »
I'm rapidly losing interest in playing for more than a round or two at a time anymore because as a gen1 or gen2 (3 main toons, only one has managed to hit retirement so far) the grind from 30-31 is taking ages and ages

I actually think that was the most fun part of the game.  Finally having a stable build and being able to go toe to toe with almost everyone on the map.  I was a little sad when I finally retired, and now that I am back up again to the mid 20's it is starting to get fun again.

I really liked that week of just being able to enjoy my character and figuring out more of the game mechanics without having to think about what I was missing and where to put points next.  It also gave me a lot of time to find all of the flaws and holes in my current build.
"Scissors needs a nerf because he beats me every time, but rock is just fine" - paper

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2011, 05:31:46 am »
I actually think that was the most fun part of the game.  Finally having a stable build and being able to go toe to toe with almost everyone on the map.  I was a little sad when I finally retired, and now that I am back up again to the mid 20's it is starting to get fun again.

I really liked that week of just being able to enjoy my character and figuring out more of the game mechanics without having to think about what I was missing and where to put points next.  It also gave me a lot of time to find all of the flaws and holes in my current build.

I enjoy playing at 30 as well.  However you have to be 31 to heirloom anything, so that's the level I have to hit if I want to get weapons as they're really balanced around it seems.  For instance:  Standard cleaver sucks, but masterworked cleaver isn't too shabby.  Of course the side katana and espanada everyone uses is still better, but that's a different matter.

If it wasn't for having to hit 31 in order to retire and heirloom I'd never give a care about the grind past 30.  Currently though, the high gen's are getting an arsenal of masterworks at an ever increasing rate of speed, so....   :?
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?

Offline DrKronic

• Knight
  • Renown: 67
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player
  • Arch Villain of cRPG
    • View Profile
  • Faction: I do what I want
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2011, 06:21:05 am »

yea 30 to 31 is when your guy is in his "full power level" if you ask me before you retire, I build everything that way so I enjoy my level 30 experience, then I try something else with my guy next build, next build I think I'm gonna aim for compete failure I think, like me on a horse shooting a bow and 1h weapon back up sounds about right, or mebbe 1h no shield

I guess thats why I don't really do alts, I always saw retirement as a chance to start over, I changed my name even each time felt like a new story, kinda wish it was allowable on retirement as an option
Greed is for amateurs...Chaos, Disorder, Anarchy now that's fun!

Offline John

• Knight
  • Renown: 41
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: None
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2011, 09:05:12 am »
I really do despise the amount of urban combat maps.  (Especially the really "exotic" ones, if you know what I'm referring to.)

Offline Sphinxer

• Knight
  • Renown: 53
  • Infamy: 16
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: _Sphinx_
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2011, 09:09:19 am »
You realize making it to 30 is the same than doing 30 to 31 ? about 4m ... Why the * would you want to increase 30 to 31 ?

Offline Franklin

• Peasant
  • Renown: 4
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Boomshanka
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2011, 11:10:54 am »

Got to admit, I would like a bit more variety.  I always liked the bridge maps on FEZ.  The ones where whoever got to the crossing first and held it had the greater chance of winning.  The same for two valleys seperated by a tight mountain pass.
I cant see a problem with open plains as long as there is enough scenery for both side to use as cover or defensive positions.  Stone cirlcles, henges, standing stones, broken walls etc.  In fact an open plain with stone henge in the center would be interesting.

Offline Engine

• Noble
  • Renown: 16
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2011, 04:21:42 pm »
Yes, it's a good idea to aim for a finished build at 30.

It also DOES take forever to go from 30 to 31, Gorath is dead on. At Gen 8 it's painful... I can only imagine the horror at Gen 1. When I was first playing, it was important that I felt like I could heirloom something and be competitive against the longtime players. I think it would be a terrible idea to make it harder for lower Gens to earn their heirlooms.

As a balanced Agi/Str shielder with equal Athletics & Riding, you need every skill point you can. At least you can convert 2 points for a lvl 30 and only be short a point in one skill.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 04:24:33 pm by Engine »

Offline jspook

• Noble
  • Renown: 17
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • Auphan
  • Game nicks: Pit
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2011, 05:52:12 pm »
I dont really think it took all that long as a gen one.

However...  I definately see (and have thought about) the concerns for higher gens just pumping out masterwork items at an exponential rate.  THIS, I think is the problem.  NOT how long it takes to get to 31.  I think that is fine.  I also think the XP gain on the higher gens is fine.  I. personally, would love to get to 30 faster every level I manage to go up.  However, I think that the old system was probably a bit more controlled, and we need a hybrid system in place.

Current XP gain plus heirlooming.  Add a retirement timer on top of it.  even if they can grind up to 31 in 2 days, make it take a week or more to retirement.  Or make it so that they can retire any time they want before the time limit (like the level 15s) but they dont get the retirement bonuses and gear unitl the timer expires. Anywhere from 8-15 days should be more than enough to control the flood of higher tier weapons into the game.

On a side note:  is there any chance of being able to look at some real statistics concerning this?  How many retirements per week total? (no names, just numbers)
"Scissors needs a nerf because he beats me every time, but rock is just fine" - paper

Offline Nindur

• Knight
  • Renown: 29
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northern Empire Rebellion
  • Game nicks: N1nd3r9
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2011, 05:57:40 pm »
You don't actually lose your multiplier when the round draws, you are given the opportunity to regain it during the next round! As for open plains maps, I looked through the map rotation last night and we have plenty, the problem is our map rotation is huge!

Offline Felagunda

• Peasant
  • Renown: 5
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2011, 12:21:20 am »
Just seems like so many maps are not fun in general and just suck.  Also the fact that there are like 70 maps or more in the current NA rotation also sucks!  There are so many terrible maps that just screw you over if you cav too.  A good map should be playable by all char.  It's think it's pretty crappy when you spend 6 points on a skill and a ton of money on a good horse then you contanstly play maps that you can't even ride on or really shouldn't try.  Not mention players that hierloom horses and cav weapons.  A few that just need to be deleted imo are the map with the sewer and the helms deep cave map.

Now before all the throwers, xbowers, and archers get angry let me suggest something or people that just like anti cav maps.  I don't understand why we can't just put these maps on only one of the NA servers.  Many of you guys probably don't even know me I have been away for about 4 months and only just recently came back.  But correct me if I am wrong but didn't the NA servers used to have different maps.  Like they only shared 1/2 of maybe 2/3 of the same maps.  Maybe we could do this again?

Having said that i still feel that many of the maps just need to go like the huge ones.  The forest one with snow man you get thick fog on that and you can't even find people you get lost and the round draws or goes to flag mode.  The church map also retardedly big and piontless map not really fun either imo.  The real problem with this huge maps, the open ones, is that when you get the fog it just gets stupid!  Whole teams walk around trying to find each other for like 2-3 min i've seen it lol a few times.  20 people get lost in the woods.

Anyway I know there is already a post about this and im gonna try and find it repost this here.  But please can we at least consider cutting a few maps and also making a map varriety from the 80 man and 100 man?  I would also add that many of these village maps have been in the roation too long.

Say we have 72 maps now right (not sure about this but it's close) well cut 12 ones that the community can vote to be gone forever!   Then take like the 15 most popular maps that people can vote on these maps will be played on both NA servers.  That would leave about 45 maps left divide them by 2 put some on the 80 man and some on the 100 man.

Another suggestion make different map roations that could be changed weekly.

What does everyone think?  I welcome all suggestions.