Author Topic: Complaining about the game  (Read 6156 times)

Offline engurrand

• Psychopath
  • Earl
  • Renown: 359
  • Infamy: 101
  • cRPG Player
  • Trifecta
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Kingdom of Veluca
Complaining about the game
« on: February 25, 2012, 06:20:31 pm »
+4
It's just wrong.

yes there are cases when something can become very overpowered, but you must realize that variety and an unbalanced nature works in favor for a game that is highly skill based.
How much unbalance is good though? that is hard to determine but... If everything is balanced then the features of the game become useless, you might as well be playing a game where you generate random numbers and who ever gets the highest number wins.

Most people just want to complain about game mechanics because they want to make the game suit their play style. Rather they should be adjusting their play style to fit the game mechanics.

And this goes especially for large scale combat and strat battles.

Experimentation is good in a game that has a lot of complexity.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline larlek

• Baron
  • Renown: 140
  • Infamy: 95
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Larlik PooperScooper Larlek
Re: Complaining about the game
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 06:32:57 pm »
+2
People never see how great something is untill it's gone. People will complain and complain and request buffs and nerfs and then when they get them they still won't be happy. That's just the way of the world.

Offline Kuyamzoleta

• Baron
  • Renown: 94
  • Infamy: 11
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Zoleta, WATCHOUT_SON
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 07:18:22 pm »
This world must be balanced, this world must be spacious, this world must be perfect.

We need...more...

(click to show/hide)
"twerk miley miley twerk"

Offline Lizard_man

• Marshall
  • Renown: 717
  • Infamy: 153
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Lizard_man, Jinmenju
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 07:25:35 pm »

Offline Tyr_

• Earl
  • Renown: 445
  • Infamy: 134
  • cRPG Player
  • Suum cuique
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Merc_Tyr; Merc_Nemo; Caesar_Salad
  • IRC nick: Tyr_

Offline Lizard_man

• Marshall
  • Renown: 717
  • Infamy: 153
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Merc_Lizard_man, Jinmenju
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2012, 07:33:15 pm »

Offline engurrand

• Psychopath
  • Earl
  • Renown: 359
  • Infamy: 101
  • cRPG Player
  • Trifecta
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Kingdom of Veluca
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2012, 08:16:08 pm »
wolo aint shit..

Where is the win at?

Each person plays for different reasons.

Personally, i think large scale strat domination is the most interesting aspect of CRPG mod.

Offline _Tak_

• Earl
  • Renown: 459
  • Infamy: 195
  • cRPG Player
  • Retired Dev of FI2
    • View Profile
    • mod :D
  • Game nicks: LC
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2012, 08:24:27 pm »
2H needs a nerf, their thrust is even longer than polearm

Offline Son Of Odin

• King
  • Renown: 1856
  • Infamy: 338
  • Sky belongs to Asagods as long as the raven flies.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Son_Of_Odin
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2012, 08:32:24 pm »
I bet that this thread is made by a ranged player. Archer?
(click to show/hide)

There is no sight in my third eye

Offline Oggrinsky

• Knight
  • Renown: 61
  • Infamy: 10
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Sons of Zardoz
  • Game nicks: Tzadik_Oggrinsky, Ghazi_Suleiman, MissOggynistic
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2012, 01:07:58 am »
+7
To me, the problem seems to be that a lot of players choose one play style... and then never switch it up. I'm sure we can all think of people who have been 2h for over a year, without variation. When that playstyle gets messed with, even indirectly, these people blow up the forums with complaints. A perfect example of this; Kesh and every change in archery over the last year.

Another great example; the massive amount of QQing over the removal of hilt-slashing with 2h swords. The 2h sword animations have always been superior in reach and speed. But, when there was an effort to balance them with other weapon types with a nerf to the right swing speed there was an incredible amount of lobbying by all the try hard 2h heroes. Even though this "nerf" brought them into balance; there was enough biased lobbying that the developers reverted it.

If, over the year plus I've been playing, I had only played one playstyle and it was messed with; I'd be a raging on the forums as well. Fortunately, I get bored really easy and I like to experiment. I've tried almost every play style within every class possible. This may have given me a less biased point of view.

Some people just aren't happy unless their preferred playstyle is the ultimate playstyle.

Solution?

Force people to play a gen as the class they most complain about!  :D

Personally, I'm tired of hearing people complain about cavmy old friends, and archermy old friends, and xbowmy old friends, and pikemy old friends, and horsexbowmy old friends... as if grinding out a MW longsword, going 21/18, being capable of blocking, and spamming your superior animations is the pinnacle of skill in this game. But whatever, the balance in this game just gets better and better. More and more content is added all the time. Let the scoffers scoff and be damned, as long as the game keeps improving like it is.

Offline XyNox

• Marshall
  • Renown: 801
  • Infamy: 219
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Quincy Clan
  • Game nicks: Quincy_XyNox
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2012, 12:46:26 pm »
Well, I guess you can call this game a beta. So, many things are wrong of course right now. The only thing I'd complain about is not the massive lobbying, but rather the fact that devs actually seem to give a fuck about the QQ. And im not talking about constructive criticism.

I bet that this thread is made by a ranged player. Archer?
(click to show/hide)

I could imagine 2h complaining about OP arrows hitting him, but he doesnt sound mad and his arguments appear logical. That pretty much disqualifies melee players. Cav has no reason to complain about the game as it is ... I place a bet on xbower.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 12:48:17 pm by XyNox »

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2012, 01:20:24 pm »
What some people want to forget, is that the fact that 2h and cav complain about ranged would only be "normal", that is, not worthy of the dev attention, if and only if range complained about their own "counter". Atm I don't see a wide consensus among ranged players that say... shields, should be nerfed.

In other words, if there was not balance problem, then either everybody would be lobbying, or everybody would be fine. There is an imbalance in lobbyism, which quite clearly shows that something is wrong.

Offline Prpavi

• King
  • Renown: 1525
  • Infamy: 402
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 私 わ 変態 です
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Prpavi, Prpafeee
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2012, 01:26:27 pm »
Well, I guess you can call this game a beta. So, many things are wrong of course right now. The only thing I'd complain about is not the massive lobbying, but rather the fact that devs actually seem to give a fuck about the QQ. And im not talking about constructive criticism.

No the problem is that Devs dont play the game themselves for a long time now and that they listen to their "circle of thrusted" people and take little or no regard of what community is saying.
And now he can't play because of "common sense" and he doesn't understand how this common sense works

Offline XyNox

• Marshall
  • Renown: 801
  • Infamy: 219
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Quincy Clan
  • Game nicks: Quincy_XyNox
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2012, 01:53:31 pm »
+1
What some people want to forget, is that the fact that 2h and cav complain about ranged would only be "normal", that is, not worthy of the dev attention, if and only if range complained about their own "counter". Atm I don't see a wide consensus among ranged players that say... shields, should be nerfed.

In other words, if there was not balance problem, then either everybody would be lobbying, or everybody would be fine. There is an imbalance in lobbyism, which quite clearly shows that something is wrong.

I dont think any archer thinks that shields that give anti-ranged-godmode is balanced in any way. But as 90% of mad kids seem to play 2h or other melee classes a constructive discussion will never take place on that matter. Threads will be flooded by retards who only can recognize the moments they fought these "10 PD, 10 Ath, over 9000 WPF" archers that can oneshot and kite 10 shielders at once. There is simply no point in starting a conversation about this. I mean even in Meows opinion it would be appropriate that melees would play at least one gen as an archer so they will at least get the basics there, which they are obviously lacking.

All we can do is wait and hope that devs will test what they patched into the game themselfes, which I cannot imagine when a patch lead to archers needing 10+ arrows to kill a guy in the past.

This is, at least my reason to not open rage threads. I dunno though why other range players dont rage as much in general.

€
No the problem is that Devs dont play the game themselves for a long time now and that they listen to their "circle of thrusted" people and take little or no regard of what community is saying.

That would explain things ...
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 01:55:58 pm by XyNox »

Offline Camaris

• Count
  • Renown: 223
  • Infamy: 56
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Neresto_HRE
  • IRC nick: Neresto_HRE
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2012, 02:00:07 pm »
To me, the problem seems to be that a lot of players choose one play style... and then never switch it up. I'm sure we can all think of people who have been 2h for over a year, without variation. When that playstyle gets messed with, even indirectly, these people blow up the forums with complaints. A perfect example of this; Kesh and every change in archery over the last year.

Another great example; the massive amount of QQing over the removal of hilt-slashing with 2h swords. The 2h sword animations have always been superior in reach and speed. But, when there was an effort to balance them with other weapon types with a nerf to the right swing speed there was an incredible amount of lobbying by all the try hard 2h heroes. Even though this "nerf" brought them into balance; there was enough biased lobbying that the developers reverted it.

If, over the year plus I've been playing, I had only played one playstyle and it was messed with; I'd be a raging on the forums as well. Fortunately, I get bored really easy and I like to experiment. I've tried almost every play style within every class possible. This may have given me a less biased point of view.

Some people just aren't happy unless their preferred playstyle is the ultimate playstyle.

Solution?

Force people to play a gen as the class they most complain about!  :D

Personally, I'm tired of hearing people complain about cavmy old friends, and archermy old friends, and xbowmy old friends, and pikemy old friends, and horsexbowmy old friends... as if grinding out a MW longsword, going 21/18, being capable of blocking, and spamming your superior animations is the pinnacle of skill in this game. But whatever, the balance in this game just gets better and better. More and more content is added all the time. Let the scoffers scoff and be damned, as long as the game keeps improving like it is.

LoL and what are you doing? Complaining about 2H-Swords.... trollolol.
So its ok to talk against 2h but not to talk against other things.

I dont think any archer thinks that shields that give anti-ranged-godmode is balanced in any way. But as 90% of mad kids seem to play 2h or other melee classes a constructive discussion will never take place on that matter. Threads will be flooded by retards who only can recognize the moments they fought these "10 PD, 10 Ath, over 9000 WPF" archers that can oneshot and kite 10 shielders at once. There is simply no point in starting a conversation about this. I mean even in Meows opinion it would be appropriate that melees would play at least one gen as an archer so they will at least get the basics there, which they are obviously lacking.

All we can do is wait and hope that devs will test what they patched into the game themselfes, which I cannot imagine when a patch lead to archers needing 10+ arrows to kill a guy in the past.

This is, at least my reason to not open rage threads. I dunno though why other range players dont rage as much in general.

€
That would explain things ...
The funny thing is that Archers really get powerful if they loom. its like 6 heirlooms boosting damage.
To see the real power an archer can have you would need to play with looms.
They just should change the Arrow looms to not grant more damage only more arrow.
After that adjust damage of the bows => Loomed Archer and new archer are better comparable.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 02:05:29 pm by Camaris »