Author Topic: Reasonable Side Sword Nerf  (Read 10368 times)

Offline Thomek

• El Director
  • OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 481
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • Ninja Guide Wiki
  • Faction: Ninja_
  • Game nicks: Ninja_Thomek
Re: Reasonable Side Sword Nerf
« Reply #90 on: March 24, 2011, 10:40:19 pm »
The relative weaknesses of polearms/2h vs 1h+shield was kind of implied in the advantages table, but it was perhaps unclear.

Only 7-9 hits from a specialized shield killer weapon yeah? :-) And afterwards you can theoretically keep blocking manually. The sidesword is practically equal to the katana in stats, and I think it qualifies as an equal duel weapon to a great axe.. (You got a major speed advantage, he the stun and range advantage)

Of course this game is all about personal skill (and we dream about teamwork). That's why we are so anal about weapon balance! :-D

Shields have been nerfed, by making them weigh more and some other changes to prevent turtles with 3x shields. Spamitar used to be the fastest 1h and it got its range nerfed. (because the computed range was longer than the animation range..) Besides it can't even thrust.

Personally I think that pirat-like side sword was just trolling from the devs.. Choosing a 1h wep is now a no-brainer, making all the other 1 handers obsolete. If the devs get their brains together they will rebalance 2h also so not everyone runs around with the greatsword sisters.

I wish weapons in general was more equal in "power" (an equation of speed, damage, range, animations, attack directions)

then price could be more for the looks..
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

That Thomeck-delay-kicking bussiness is like that asshole-retard dude that fucks your sister sometimes.

Offline kinngrimm

• King
  • Renown: 1026
  • Infamy: 320
    • View Profile
    • The Betrayer of Nations
  • Faction: Wolves of Fenris
  • Game nicks: kinngrimm, Karma
  • IRC nick: kinngrimm
« Reply #91 on: March 25, 2011, 03:24:04 am »
you missed the sarcasm tag arround
"Only 7-9 hits from a specialized shield killer weapon yeah? :-)"
so what did you do with 9 skillpoints? getting 4 more attribute points?

"And afterwards you can theoretically keep blocking manually."
In my case emphazise the "theoretically", anyone who has seen my shield fail knows that i am going down soon after

"The sidesword is practically equal to the katana in stats,"
practically if you dont add the shield weigth and animation time from the shield

"Of course this game is all about personal skill (and we dream about teamwork). That's why we are so anal about weapon balance! :-D"
you got that right :)

"Personally I think that pirat-like side sword was just trolling from the devs..Choosing a 1h wep is now a no-brainer, making all the other 1 handers obsolete. If the devs get their brains together they will rebalance 2h also so not everyone runs around with the greatsword sisters."
I started playing after the sitesword was introduced. But it wasn't my first weapon of choice. Long Espada and Wakasashi were my first weapons. Wakasashi was nice but looked awful with a shield, and long espada was just too long for my taste, got stuck everywhere. Sitesword was versatile, beside its speed it hasn't got the top place in any other area, and i chose speed over max cut//blunt/pierce dmg or weapon lenght etc.. Perhaps i am anal too, about my favourite weapon, i will play a little more with my thrower/polearm guy to get into the brain of 2h/polearms and blocking so i can see what they are whinning about and join them ;).
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 03:27:20 am by kinngrimm »
learn from the past, live the moment, dream of the future

Offline Malaclypse

• King
  • Renown: 1299
  • Infamy: 146
  • In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 26, 2011, 02:55:15 pm »
It seems like a lot of people use Sidesword, but by no means all. I see Nordic Champion Swords, Knightly Arming Swords, Scimitars etc all the time on the battlefield. Personally, I dropped it after a few battles; it was too short for me, and the speed bonus didn't really make up for it in my mind. Even the Long Espada Eslanova still doesn't feel as right as mighty reach of the Sarranid Cavalry Sword.
You think you're pretty smart with your dago mustache and your greasy hair.

Offline ManOfWar

• Count
  • Renown: 243
  • Infamy: 36
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • No crutches at all!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Remnants
  • Game nicks: Remnant_ManOfWar (Formerly Takeda)
  • IRC nick: ManOfWar
« Reply #93 on: March 29, 2011, 06:59:55 am »
Hey guys just a question, did you think the long espada needed a damage nerf pre patch or no?
Just a soldier

Offline UrLukur

• Noble
  • Renown: 13
  • Infamy: 19
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 29, 2011, 08:15:31 am »
Hey guys just a question, did you think the long espada needed a damage nerf pre patch or no?

Yes.
"Clava curva pie vinco"

Offline Diomedes

• Count
  • Renown: 200
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
  • Cat
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Sootnik_Diomedes
« Reply #95 on: March 29, 2011, 08:44:30 pm »

Tiny one.  Very tiny.  Right now it feels just the tiniest bit too nerfed.  No biggie, but it's the reason I don't use it nowadays.  Otherwise it's a great weapon.

Offline Vance

• Peasant
  • Renown: 4
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 30, 2011, 08:04:07 pm »
I love my axe+shield, it doesn't bother me that the sidesword seems a touch OP. I'd say it's probably a good idea to slightly reduce it's cutting damage, and maybe speed. But it's not a massively OP weapon, and it's obviously cool looking, so maybe -1 point cutting damage is enough.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 08:09:34 pm by Vance »

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #97 on: April 02, 2011, 10:01:03 am »
I'd say it's probably a good idea to slightly reduce it's cutting damage

31 cut damage for a 100+ speed 95 length basically foppish fencing style sword is still too much.  Real cutting swords, which are shorter on average (cleavers, sabres, IE:  No thrusts) only do between 32-35 cut.  The side sword should not be even close to the same cut damage.  28 cut for the side sword MAX imo.
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?

Offline kinngrimm

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 02, 2011, 08:23:49 pm »
28-30 cut would be ok i guess but then please, don't reduce speed.

Offline Diomedes

• Count
  • Renown: 200
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
  • Cat
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Sootnik_Diomedes
« Reply #99 on: April 03, 2011, 03:03:52 am »
Perhaps 25-27?  This would make a masterwork one about 30(?).

Offline Snapalope

• Noble
  • Renown: 11
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 03, 2011, 07:39:32 am »
don't forget the ghost reach of the elite spamitar
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Karmazyn

• Peasant
  • Renown: 9
  • Infamy: 45
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 03, 2011, 08:17:02 am »
The Side Sword was a military sword of the 16th and 17th century Renaissance period that also achieved popularity among civilians, due to its relatively light weight and quickness.
It also had an advantage over its contemporary, the rapier, in having the ability to cut efficiently as well as thrust. Side swords were often the weapon of choice for sword and buckler fighting.
http://www.casiberia.com/prod_Detail.aspx?id=SH2203

This 3-5 people never end QQ Whine here.

"Meeh.., im hobby historian, side sword is a rapier."
"Meeh.., my LEE, meh.. it was nerfed, meh im so uber with my masterwork(!!!) side sword." (whine here but never switch to another sword!)
"Meeh.., I have masterwork huscarl and run useless around with that, meh 1h dont need to make any damage, at least not for being wolves..."
"Meeh.., Im a super ninja, my weeaboo sword need to ourspam everyone, meh... meh side sword has a thrust, OMG!!!" 
"Meeh.., I dont like style of side sword" (but has no problems with poleaxes, morions from same time period or fantasy weapons)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 08:18:03 am by Karmazyn »
Si Deus Nobiscum quis contra nos

Offline UrLukur

• Noble
  • Renown: 13
  • Infamy: 19
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 03, 2011, 05:13:11 pm »
http://www.casiberia.com/prod_Detail.aspx?id=SH2203

This 3-5 people never end QQ Whine here.

"Meeh.., im hobby historian, side sword is a rapier."
"Meeh.., my LEE, meh.. it was nerfed, meh im so uber with my masterwork(!!!) side sword." (whine here but never switch to another sword!)
"Meeh.., I have masterwork huscarl and run useless around with that, meh 1h dont need to make any damage, at least not for being wolves..."
"Meeh.., Im a super ninja, my weeaboo sword need to ourspam everyone, meh... meh side sword has a thrust, OMG!!!" 
"Meeh.., I dont like style of side sword" (but has no problems with poleaxes, morions from same time period or fantasy weapons)

LoL at you Karmazyn. First of all, the side sword in the game is not the same as the one you presented, it's actually something else, in one of the side sword threads i said what exactly this fantasy side sword is (ie, what parts of real swords were inspiration). Second thing, the sword deal more cut damage than similar swords DESIGNED for swinging. So even if side sword should not suck at swinging, it should not excel at it either (actually it is close).
"Clava curva pie vinco"

Offline kinngrimm

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 04, 2011, 10:06:02 pm »
As interesting your quote and link was

This i find offensive.

Offline Maira

• Peasant
  • Renown: 4
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • War is won at the cost of a great loss.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Houses of Cards (House of Hearts)
  • Game nicks: Loz, King_Charles_of_Hearts
« Reply #104 on: April 04, 2011, 10:13:27 pm »
If the Espada Eslavona didn't lack so much in range it would be even more of a favorite for me. Still, it's my favorite one handed sword, I used it for a couple months with no shield.