Author Topic: Reduce Shield Requirement By 1?  (Read 1554 times)

Offline MrShine

• Ragdoll Basher
  • King
  • Renown: 1156
  • Infamy: 193
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Fear the stache
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: MrShine
Re: Reduce Shield Requirement By 1?
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2012, 06:39:02 pm »
There are already some good 1 difficulty shields that can absorb arrows, so I vote no.
Holy crap I have a youtube gaming channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/MrShine12345

Offline ArchonAlarion

• Baron
  • Renown: 98
  • Infamy: 54
  • Late 15th cen. English Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: ArchonAlarion, DON'T_WAKE_GRANDPA, NASTY_TURTLE, UNARMED_CLASS_ DON'T_BAN_PLS, et al.
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2012, 08:54:09 pm »
Who ever said that str and agi are some eternally balanced yin and yang bs? Maybe str is just better in most cases. As long as Ath, riding, shield skill, and WM are based on Agi, it will never become useless. I play balanced builds btw.

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
  • Renown: 794
  • Infamy: 164
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rustyspoon, Sir_Rusty_Of_Spoon, Rusty_the_Spoonarian
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2012, 09:49:10 pm »
Who ever said that str and agi are some eternally balanced yin and yang bs? Maybe str is just better in most cases. As long as Ath, riding, shield skill, and WM are based on Agi, it will never become useless. I play balanced builds btw.

Strength is better already, which is the problem. Moving shields to strength would make it more unbalanced.

Just so we get things straight, I don't care about the unbalance as far as game mechanics go. I care about it as far as diversity goes. A HUGE portion of the playerbase already stacks strength. This would cause even more people to do so, which in my opinion makes the game boring. The game would be a lot less fun if everyone was a roided up douche blindly swinging a poleaxe.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline ArchonAlarion

• Baron
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: ArchonAlarion, DON'T_WAKE_GRANDPA, NASTY_TURTLE, UNARMED_CLASS_ DON'T_BAN_PLS, et al.
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2012, 12:47:14 am »
Strength is better already, which is the problem. Moving shields to strength would make it more unbalanced.

Just so we get things straight, I don't care about the unbalance as far as game mechanics go. I care about it as far as diversity goes. A HUGE portion of the playerbase already stacks strength. This would cause even more people to do so, which in my opinion makes the game boring. The game would be a lot less fun if everyone was a roided up douche blindly swinging a poleaxe.

Definitely would be a lot less fun, but making shield difficulty based on strength would not have that effect. Here is what I think might happen:

Ranged chars would have to deal with more shields on the battlefield, BUT the shields they did face would break more quickly.

Throwers who use shields will be buffed because they can take points out of shield skill if they wish.

Hybrids who use shields will be buffed.

Crossbowmen and archers may start taking shields more often.

Two extremes of shields: Higher difficulty, heavy shields (board, huscarl, steel, etc.) that are slow, and because of their str difficulty, harder to max shield skill (Utility shields). Lower difficulty, light shields (cavalry, bucklers, etc.) that are fast and because of their low difficulty, easier to pair with shield skill (Duelist shields).

I wouldn't mind a buff to agi or WM along with this  :|

Offline Dravic

• Knight
  • Renown: 78
  • Infamy: 29
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Not playing
  • Game nicks: Not playing
  • IRC nick: Most likely Dravic
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2012, 06:33:57 am »
Definitely would be a lot less fun, but making shield difficulty based on strength would not have that effect. Here is what I think might happen:

Ranged chars would have to deal with more shields on the battlefield, BUT the shields they did face would break more quickly.

Throwers who use shields will be buffed because they can take points out of shield skill if they wish.

Hybrids who use shields will be buffed.

Crossbowmen and archers may start taking shields more often.

Two extremes of shields: Higher difficulty, heavy shields (board, huscarl, steel, etc.) that are slow, and because of their str difficulty, harder to max shield skill (Utility shields). Lower difficulty, light shields (cavalry, bucklers, etc.) that are fast and because of their low difficulty, easier to pair with shield skill (Duelist shields).

I wouldn't mind a buff to agi or WM along with this  :|

Declined.

Offline Cup1d

• Count
  • Renown: 167
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercs
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2012, 11:42:22 pm »
make shield require both agility and strenght. At least this will kill stupid 13 shieldskill glitchers

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2012, 12:38:21 am »

Make WM mean something and you'll see more of a balance between agi vs str builds.  Make it so you don't get free WPF (or make it so you only get free WPF up until a certain level).  Also make it so that WPF doesn't have such a steep "diminishing return" curve and make it more leveled out.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline ArchonAlarion

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2012, 02:59:21 am »
Declined.

One word negative response.