Author Topic: Allow shields/weapons to be picked up (regardless of difficulty)  (Read 1147 times)

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
Allow shields/weapons to be picked up (regardless of difficulty)
« on: February 17, 2012, 06:22:09 pm »
+6
I think you should be able to pickup any shield or melee weapon (not sure about bows/throwing, it should be considered) regardless of your shield skill or strength. 

The skill or strength difficulty requirement would change to "proficiency" requirement, meaning you need to have that difficulty condition met to be proficient with the shield or melee weapon.  If you are less than proficient you would take huge hits to speed/coverage, or speed/damage.

I'm a shielder so I don't have this problem, but if someone has 27 strength but no shield skill I fail to see why they are unable to hold a shield in front of them to protect from arrows?  Sure the shield should probably break right away and should be slow as shit if they are trying to raise the shield (making them pretty useless to try and shield vs melee). 

I think this would mainly be useful for strategus battles.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline ArchonAlarion

• Baron
  • Renown: 98
  • Infamy: 54
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Late 15th cen. English Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: ArchonAlarion, DON'T_WAKE_GRANDPA, NASTY_TURTLE, UNARMED_CLASS_ DON'T_BAN_PLS, et al.
Re: Allow shields/weapons to be picked up (regardless of difficulty)
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 07:19:59 pm »
+3
All items (except horses) should have difficulties based on strength.

"Sorry you need to be faster to use this huscarl shield"

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 07:48:15 pm »
+4
I support this. Remove all hard requirements and introduce penalties. If you swing a weapon you don't meet the requirements of, you swing slower and bounce more often. If you use a shield you don't meet the requirements of, the blocking anim will be slower and it will have less armor and/or/hp. If you use armor that you don't meet the requirements of, you move slower and the WPF penalty is higher. And so on.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline dodnet

• Duke
  • Renown: 595
  • Infamy: 149
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Wolpertinger
  • Game nicks: DoD, DoD_Wolper
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 09:32:38 pm »
+1
All items (except horses) should have difficulties based on strength.

Why no horses? If you dont have enough prof in horses you will fall of it every few meters  :mrgreen:
The logic of war seems to be that if a belligerent can fight he will fight.

(click to show/hide)

Offline ArchonAlarion

• Baron
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: ArchonAlarion, DON'T_WAKE_GRANDPA, NASTY_TURTLE, UNARMED_CLASS_ DON'T_BAN_PLS, et al.
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 10:09:38 pm »
That would be even better, Zagibu.

Offline FRANK_THE_TANK

• King
  • Renown: 1312
  • Infamy: 339
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • FluckCucker
    • View Profile
  • Faction: A Free and proud Peasant of Fisdnar!!!
  • Game nicks: FRANK_THE_TANK
  • IRC nick: Sippy sip
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2012, 02:40:10 am »
I can't see why this is a terrible idea, seems okay. So there must be something wrong with it...

Anyway it would be great for crafting as well. No more lvl1 standing around in your tat and coping a ATHW tick.

It would however destroy peasant warz/grind of fun. At lvl1 I would still be coated in 62 points of armour. Maybe if you don't meet the str req for armour it takes a hit to its "effective" armour value as well as knocking a % off your weapon speed/dmg.
Fammi un pompino!

I think I have ball cancer in my right nut :(
Good news everybody! It's not nut cancer :)
Bad news everybody, I got dumped :(

Offline ArchonAlarion

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2012, 12:18:34 am »
A peasant in heavy armor would still suck horribly. Possibly even worse. It makes sense though, because you'd send your 18 yr old heir in good gear, so the poor whelp wouldn't die in their first battles (if you did decide to wear it).

Offline dodnet

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2012, 08:51:57 am »
I don't think its a good idea. It makes shield skill kinda useless if everyone can pick up a shield and hold it to prevent ranged - no need to put any points in shield anymore as polearm/2h.

On the other side if the shield "health" would be heavily lowered when you don't have enough shield skill it makes this new feature kinda useless, as the shield would break after one arrow/bolt hit. Even level 2 shields sometimes break after 2-3 arrow hits.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2012, 06:06:11 pm »
I don't think its a good idea. It makes shield skill kinda useless if everyone can pick up a shield and hold it to prevent ranged - no need to put any points in shield anymore as polearm/2h.

On the other side if the shield "health" would be heavily lowered when you don't have enough shield skill it makes this new feature kinda useless, as the shield would break after one arrow/bolt hit. Even level 2 shields sometimes break after 2-3 arrow hits.
I got 4 shieldskill and because of the mega nerfs to the shield forcefield, every single motherfucking archer can still shoot me, unless I look completely and perfectly at them, with the right up/down angle and with a shield that covers 80% of my body and they can STILL shoot me in the legs/head. You don't get shieldskill to get a better shield or increase how long it lasts. You get shieldskill to stop the BS arrow sneaking around the shield. Luckily some of the round shields are still usable. Too bad the non-round shields are so gimped.
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1680
  • Infamy: 1261
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2012, 06:11:32 pm »
This idea is lulz. Huseby seems to have few of those lately :rolleyes:

I'm not lobbying because it would hurt me in any way. It wouldn't. I'm a scavenger after all. Allow me to use Mighty Great Maul with just 18 STR and you'll just buff me ;)

Edit: You also want to change armor middle of game. Hehe, that's originally my idea. And it's just lulz as well. Already see myself starting in my rags, just to change in someones bloody loomed Milanese plate in the middle of the round, kill enemies with Mighty Great Maul and change back to light armor if I need to catch archers. Best thing of all would be changing back to rags at the end of round and PAYING NO UPKEEP AT ALL. WOOT!
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 06:15:20 pm by Leshma »

Offline dodnet

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2012, 07:00:16 pm »
Edit: You also want to change armor middle of game. Hehe, that's originally my idea. And it's just lulz as well. Already see myself starting in my rags, just to change in someones bloody loomed Milanese plate in the middle of the round, kill enemies with Mighty Great Maul and change back to light armor if I need to catch archers. Best thing of all would be changing back to rags at the end of round and PAYING NO UPKEEP AT ALL. WOOT!

Great idea, I would start stripping during battle, only need my pole :mrgreen:

(click to show/hide)

Offline sF_Guardian

• Marshall
  • Renown: 738
  • Infamy: 254
  • cRPG Player
  • In honour of Pepe the kindest baguette
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Sad Hobo Guild, Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Peso, Dondergod, Hobo_loves_Pepe, Ras_Putin_the_stronk, FrenchBow_le_tarlouze, Forrest_Trump...
  • IRC nick: Peso
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2012, 07:29:05 pm »
Shitty suggestions over here. System is good as it is atm, leave it like it is.
I don't want to give a feedback to molly neither i want to ban him,I wanted to give advise high authorities to take his admin rights.Panos you monkey wrench where would u put this topic enlighten me you cancer fuck.