Author Topic: okiN's bookmaking  (Read 4426 times)

Offline okiN

• Marshall
  • Renown: 924
  • Infamy: 129
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
okiN's bookmaking
« on: February 17, 2012, 01:44:15 am »
+14
I have an idea for a little experiment. I'm going to start a bookmaking service where I offer fixed odds for cRPG players to wager gold on the outcomes of various of cRPG-related events like duels between players, Strategus battles, clan matches, tournaments etc. Events and odds will be posted in this thread, and an updated list will be displayed in the first post.

I'm just starting out, so I'm taking it slow for now and won't accept bets of more than 10k gold.

To place a bet: Contact me via PM or IRC to tell me what you're betting on and how much, and to arrange a transfer of the gold to me. If you win, you'll get back your stake plus winnings accorded by the odds you were playing. I trust you all know me well enough to believe that I'll always pay out to winners, and will never accept more bets than I can cover. Participants in events are not allowed to bet against themselves.

Maximum wager: 10000 gold

Bets offered: Currently none! Suggest events to bet on in this thread. Keep in mind that I'll only offer odds on events that I believe are likely to generate interest and of which I feel confident enough to estimate the probabilities of possible outcomes.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 04:19:16 pm by okiN »
Don't.

Offline Apsod

• Duke
  • Renown: 698
  • Infamy: 98
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Donate a few denari to the farmers of Calradia!
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Apsod
Re: okiN's bookmaking
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 02:04:20 am »
I have an idea for a little experiment. If I were to start a bookmaking service where I offer fixed odds for cRPG players to wager gold on the outcomes of various of cRPG-related events (duels between players, Strategus battles, clan matches, tournaments), would there be interest? And I mean real interest, because for this to work on my end, there needs to be a relatively large pool of bettors for each posted event. Would you guys actually make use of this service on a regular basis?
Sounds awesome, I would love to try my luck with some leftover money :)
For the record, I'm quite poor, so I'd only be able to cover rather small bets, a few thousand at the most. So you'd really have to bet many times to have a chance at making any serious cash.
Ouch...

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 02:09:27 am »
hah, if there was a counterpart for north america I would certainly spend some money.  we always play the over/under odds when a good fragger is the last one left on their team.

Miley, Surge, Dan-cheats, etc.....X more kills, oVER or UNDER!

wish there was a way to do it in-game and make a mini-game out of it

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 375
  • Infamy: 2425
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 02:20:29 am »
okiN, I can fund you and we can split profits in half. However there is one condition. Both of us will sign the contract according to which we are partners and that, and if you manage somehow to lose our money in the long run chadz will give me your head on a silver platter (he has to sign that part as well). What do you say?

Offline cmp

• M:BG Developer
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 2052
  • Infamy: 569
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: cmp
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 03:16:16 am »
+17
Good idea, but don't forget that cRPG is a very dangerous place, and one needs protection from all the bad things that might happen.
I could provide such protection for a 20% cut on all the profits - it's a very generous offer that you shouldn't let slip away. In case you refuse, I won't be able to guarantee your safety.

Offline robert_namo

• Count
  • Renown: 170
  • Infamy: 55
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • I don't understand.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Astralis "of the Stars"
  • Game nicks: Robert_Namo_Astralis
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2012, 03:17:08 am »
I like to gamble my money away, count me in. I'm serious.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Stabby_Dave

• Count
  • Renown: 197
  • Infamy: 34
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Stabby_Dave, Squelch, Dave_The_Longbowman, Faggy_Dave
  • IRC nick: Stabby
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2012, 03:21:45 am »
+2
Excellent money making scheme. I offer 3/1 odds that next patch will see an archer nerf :D

Also:
Good idea, but don't forget that cRPG is a very dangerous place, and one needs protection from all the bad things that might happen.
I could provide such protection for a 20% cut on all the profits - it's a very generous offer that you shouldn't let slip away. In case you refuse, I won't be able to guarantee your safety.

I like that you literally just changed your profile picture to match this post.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2110
  • Infamy: 2997
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2012, 03:30:20 am »

We are talking about big numbers here and frankly speaking, you're too small fish for this kind of job, Mr. Corleone :)

Offline ManOfWar

• Count
  • Renown: 243
  • Infamy: 36
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • No crutches at all!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Remnants
  • Game nicks: Remnant_ManOfWar (Formerly Takeda)
  • IRC nick: ManOfWar
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2012, 05:01:18 am »
Seems a Crpg mafia is in the works

Whose kneecaps are going to be broken first?

« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 05:03:19 am by ManOfWar »
Just a soldier

Offline TurmoilTom

• King
  • Renown: 1089
  • Infamy: 166
  • cRPG Player
  • Doesn't really play that much anymore
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2012, 05:03:38 am »
Seems a Crpg mafia is in the works

Whose kneecaps are going to be broken first?

I volunteer PieParadox.

Offline MrShine

• Ragdoll Basher
  • King
  • Renown: 1156
  • Infamy: 193
  • Fear the stache
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: MrShine
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2012, 06:16:43 am »
I have some extra cash to throw around - this would be pretty fun :D
Holy crap I have a youtube gaming channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/MrShine12345

Offline okiN

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2012, 08:58:37 am »
okiN, I can fund you and we can split profits in half. However there is one condition. Both of us will sign the contract according to which we are partners and that, and if you manage somehow to lose our money in the long run chadz will give me your head on a silver platter (he has to sign that part as well). What do you say?

How much money are we talking, here? You got a few million on hand?

Anyway, I'd still be the one doing all the work, so 50-50 is out of the question. If you bankroll me with a significant amount, I could maybe offer you 10%. And no guarantees, obviously. Like I said, it's an experiment. :wink:

hah, if there was a counterpart for north america I would certainly spend some money.

NA players more than welcome here, but yeah, I wouldn't be offering much in the way of NA-specific events, since I wouldn't really know where to fix the odds.
Don't.

Offline Gnjus

• King
  • Renown: 1831
  • Infamy: 397
  • Siktir git, pislik okçu.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Turklings
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2012, 09:01:13 am »
Poor people, beggars and peasants shouldn't be starting betting business in the first place.
Do you honestly think you have any sort of moral authority, Reyiz? Go genocide some more armenians and deny it ever happened, please, and stay in the middle east.

Offline gazda

• Earl
  • Renown: 483
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
  • Its almost harvesting season.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Saracens
  • Game nicks: Gazda_the_Swine
  • IRC nick: gazda
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2012, 09:05:23 am »
i say no, anyone who owns that type of work will get very very rich in a very short time, best of all he will get rich of stupid peoples money, just like in real life. i think thats morally unacceptable, especially for a global moderator

Offline okiN

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2012, 09:06:16 am »
Poor people, beggars and peasants shouldn't be starting betting business in the first place.

I have enough of a stake right now to cover bets of around 5k (assuming a few dozen bets per event), that's enough for me to see how this whole thing works out. The ceiling might be raised in the future if the turnaround is small enough for me to manage more or I come into more money, but it's not really a big thing for me. I'm never going to be accepting bets in the millions either way, because unlike IRL bookies I don't have many options available to me in terms of controlling the risks. :P

i say no, anyone who owns that type of work will get very very rich in a very short time, best of all he will get rich of stupid peoples money, just like in real life.

Well, we already have the market, which works on the exact same principle, so...
Don't.