Author Topic: Rageball complaint  (Read 2103 times)

Offline Literally_Circler

• Noble
  • Renown: 20
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Literally a Clan
Rageball complaint
« on: February 15, 2012, 02:32:08 am »
So I played rageball today for the first time since it first got added. My tactic was to annoy/fight/occasionally kill the goalie and defenders. My logic is if my team gets possession and pushes up the field they'll have an easier time scoring because the defense will be distracted or I'll at least be available for the long pass. For this tactic I got called "douche" among other things and warned by the mod (Hospitaller_Spaniard) to stop "DMing". When I asked what that meant I recieved no response. They further "explained" that I was causing trouble because I wasn't chasing the ball, and further the proof that I was some kind of troll was that I wasn't in possession of the ball at any point. Personally, I thought we were beyond the tactics of 5-year olds where we blindly chase, but apparently, that's the only way to play, otherwise you're an asshole.

Is this really the thought process in this game, or I did I run into a bad group?

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Rageball complaint
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 02:33:24 am »
One of the defenders, an Invicti recruit iirc, complained most. He was ranged however, so his argument is that I should be allowing him to shoot at my team unmolested.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 02:34:48 am by Literally_Circler »

Offline JihadistMexican

• Knight
  • Renown: 65
  • Infamy: 26
  • cRPG Player
  • God Bless
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Gay One
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 02:44:14 am »
First off, if you don't know what DMing in this game mode means ( and in any game/game mode etc ) you shouldn't be playing rageball. Second, "I thought we were beyond the tactics of 5-year old's where we blindly chase", is a stupid thing to say in a game like rageball. And when you are giving a hard time to people who are waiting their time to play ( when the ball isn't even near them ) that makes you a douche.  When there is an attack going on, then yes you can shoot all the goalies and defenders you want.  Wouldn't you rage if someone attacked/shot you every time you stopped moving or was waiting?

And when you ask what DMing is in this game, I could imagine you being called a troll.

PS: If that Invicti is bitching about you stopping him from killing people, he shouldn't play either.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 02:45:15 am by JihadistMexican »
"I know were gona lose strat, but lets leech all the xp we can."

Offline Stabby_Dave

• Count
  • Renown: 197
  • Infamy: 34
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Stabby_Dave, Squelch, Dave_The_Longbowman, Faggy_Dave
  • IRC nick: Stabby
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 02:51:14 am »
+5
I fully encourage people to use tactics other than 'chase the ball like a retard and hope you score'. However standing by the goal, killing defenders when the ball is across the map, or in the opponents possession is equally retarded as just ball following. A better tactic would be to stand in some space until your team get the ball and then AND ONLY THEN, kill the defenders/keeper to allow more space to attack.

Randomly attacking defenders is useless since they respawn within 10 seconds and you have done nothing at all to contirbute towards your team winning.

The biggest thing people fail to understand with rageball is that utilising space is key. If you have 4-5 players on a team just finding space for passes while the rest defend or try to get the ball back then the opponents would have little chance to stop you. Leading on from that, learn to mark players. By this I mean dont let the enemy have too much space for himself - dont necessarily kill them but stay close to enemies in your half of the pitch when you are defending and ALWAYS stand goal side of the person you are marking. This ensures that you at least have a opportunity to kill a player that has just received a pass if he tries to run.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 02:58:07 am by Stabby_Dave »

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 02:53:04 am »
I fully encourage people to use tactics other than 'chase the ball like a retard and hope you score'. However standing by the goal, killing defenders when the ball is across the map, or in the opponents possession is equally retarded as just ball following. A better tactic would be to stand in some space until your team get the ball and then AND ONLY THEN, kill the defenders/keeper to allow more space to attack.

Randomly attacking defenders is useless since they respawn within 10 seconds and you have done nothing at all to contirbute towards your team winning.

This
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline Gristle

• Duke
  • Renown: 560
  • Infamy: 130
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BRD
  • Game nicks: Gristle_BRD
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2012, 02:54:47 am »
+2
What is DMing? Damaging? Dungeon Mastering? Was he constantly narrating what people were doing and yelling out numbers before every attack he made? I can see why that would be annoying.

Seriously, what is it in this context?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 02:56:23 am by Gristle »

Offline Penitent

• King
  • Renown: 1389
  • Infamy: 220
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Penitent_Turtler
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 02:59:53 am »
DM= death match

People should be able to play however they want, within reason.  If you want to blindly kill enemy team members who are not near the ball, it IS a valid tactic.  The enemy players will become annoyed with you and avoid you.  You have successfully made them leave the area (your goal, their goal, where ever).

People...stop complaining about how other people play.  "It's annoying" is not a good reason to ask them to stop.  This is still a fairly new game mode, and different tactics are still being tested by new Rageball players and old.  If your team is losing and not all the teamies are helping, you can say "hey, give us a hand getting the ball" or "help us defend more".   New players need direction.  Still, let us all explore different directions other than "blindly follow the ball" OR "play how I think you should play." 

If someone has any creative or conceivable way to defend WHY they are playing the way they are, let them be.  Sheesh.

Death match is killing for the sake of killing.  If you are killing with the aim of helping your team SCORE in Rageball by clearing an area of the field (even if its for 10 secs, or it seems pointless) it is not deathmatching, because you are killing with a winning purpose in mind...even if you are doing it poorly.  There's nothing wrong with that.  In fact, it can be a very good tactic for low agi builds, who are less mobile.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 03:08:30 am by Garison »

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2012, 03:11:14 am »
Thank you Garison. Death Match seems like a strange way of explaining it. For the most part I was attacking/harrassing the goalie, the other defenders just came at me to try to get me to stop. I see this as ciable in general since I kept two other players (not the goalie) away from the ball making it easier on my team. This game moves fast and I'd rather not wait for when it looks like my team might break away before I engage. If I can distract the goalie or defenders to the point where they dont notice a ball-carrier or cant get back in time, I dont understand why thats not a reasonable tactic.

Offline Kelugarn

• Marshall
  • Renown: 936
  • Infamy: 79
  • #̪͎̳̭̰͓͙ͯ͗̇͘ͅͅ1̢ͨ̈̆̓ͮ͐̌͏̪̦͓̣ ̽̇ͫ҉̸͕̻͙͖̮̹ͅN̡̥̭͖͙ͮ͊͡
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Free Peasants of Fisdnar
  • Game nicks: Froyo The Wizard
  • IRC nick: #FreeArys2012
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2012, 03:57:47 am »
...However standing by the goal, killing defenders when the ball is across the map, or in the opponents possession is equally retarded as just ball following. A better tactic would be to stand in some space until your team get the ball and then AND ONLY THEN, kill the defenders/keeper to allow more space to attack.

...If you have 4-5 players on a team just finding space for passes while the rest defend or try to get the ball back then the opponents would have little chance to stop you...

Best post.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline MrShine

• Ragdoll Basher
  • King
  • Renown: 1156
  • Infamy: 193
  • Fear the stache
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: MrShine
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2012, 05:05:02 am »
I don't really see why DMing would be against the rules... it's way too subjective for proper admining. 

I generally play defense with the goalie and clear out people that are trying to set up for a long pass.  That often turns into me killing people over and over if they don't get the message.  Yet in that position I think it serves a purpose, just like a lot of killing serves a purpose.  If I see an enemy getting ready for a long pass I'll find someone down field to cover,and yes I'll kill them if I get the opportunity.

When I see people who run past the ball to kill someone or completely fail to get themselves into good positions it annoys me, but hey a DMer on the enemy team is one less person that we need to worry about.  I'd much rather have an idiot DMer on the enemy team than on our team because I know they won't contribute.

Still, I don't think DMing should be kickable/bannable because there is no proper way to enforce it.

(click to show/hide)
Holy crap I have a youtube gaming channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/MrShine12345

Offline Duke

• Knight
  • Renown: 38
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2012, 11:39:25 am »
For the most part I was attacking/harrassing the goalie, the other defenders just came at me to try to get me to stop. I see this as ciable in general since I kept two other players (not the goalie) away from the ball making it easier on my team.

Those defenders may have been staying back to defend anyway, as it's not wise to leave the goalie alone in the first place.  You're just using whatever logic you need to justify yourself.

In fact, players like you often get passed the ball by teammates who actually think you're paying attention,
causing your team a turnover because you are too stupid to ever turn around.
You're hoping your actions will be useful to your team, instead of actually being useful to your team.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 11:41:03 am by Duke »

Offline Penitent

• King
  • Renown: 1389
  • Infamy: 220
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Penitent_Turtler
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2012, 03:23:16 pm »
+1
Those defenders may have been staying back to defend anyway, as it's not wise to leave the goalie alone in the first place.  You're just using whatever logic you need to justify yourself.

In fact, players like you often get passed the ball by teammates who actually think you're paying attention,
causing your team a turnover because you are too stupid to ever turn around.
You're hoping your actions will be useful to your team, instead of actually being useful to your team.

Welp, in the event that you are correct...new and shitty players are allowed to play crpg and rageball too.  No kicks or warning should be given to such players.

Offline Turboflex

• Duke
  • Renown: 648
  • Infamy: 212
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2012, 05:33:30 pm »
+5
I don't see why this is being adminned. While it can be annoying, the act of fighting away from the play is not explicitly leeching. As people learn to play positions, more will be staying off ball. If the ball is in one team's offensive zone, then the midfielders and defenders will not be involved in the immediate play. They will have their opposition equivilant probably standing near them, are we really going to start punishing these people if they start using their axes on each other in some mostly pointless violence? It's basically harmless (they respawn in 10 seconds, 10 feet away), stats aren't counted, so who cares if you die a few times while ball is across field, cuz some guy on other team is really excited and wants some action while he waits for ball to move??

Admins having to watch for something so commonplace but trivial  and then make arbitrary decisions on if it was tactically relevant or not would be a huge waste of time for them. We would be much better off if they focused on watching for REAL leechers and team sabotageurs.

Offline Turkhammer

• Earl
  • Renown: 376
  • Infamy: 194
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2012, 05:42:47 pm »
I don't see why this is being adminned. While it can be annoying, the act of fighting away from the play is not explicitly leeching. As people learn to play positions, more will be staying off ball. If the ball is in one team's offensive zone, then the midfielders and defenders will not be involved in the immediate play. They will have their opposition equivilant probably standing near them, are we really going to start punishing these people if they start using their axes on each other in some mostly pointless violence? It's basically harmless (they respawn in 10 seconds, 10 feet away), stats aren't counted, so who cares if you die a few times while ball is across field, cuz some guy on other team is really excited and wants some action while he waits for ball to move??

Admins having to watch for something so commonplace but trivial  and then make arbitrary decisions on if it was tactically relevant or not would be a huge waste of time for them. We would be much better off if they focused on watching for REAL leechers and team sabotageurs.

THIS is the best post.

Offline Lt_Anders

• King
  • Renown: 1049
  • Infamy: 651
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Man, I still play this shit?
    • View Profile
    • Drowtales
  • Faction: Astralis
  • Game nicks: Anders_Astralis
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2012, 06:23:15 pm »

Tis what I do. I camp enemy goal and kill all oppostion nearby so that when I DO get a pass i got a free run. And 1h is OP in rageball versus the agi whores.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login