Author Topic: Does shield skill increase "arc of protection"?  (Read 1829 times)

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
Does shield skill increase "arc of protection"?
« on: February 14, 2012, 07:36:15 pm »
I use a +3 Heavy Round Shield, but I only have 4 shield skill this generation (had 6 last gen). Lately I've noticed some skilled players seem to be able to swing 'around' it even when I'm nearly facing directly at them. This is very common with heater/kite/buckler-type shields with <25 width, but I figured my 39 width would give me nearly 180 degree protection in melee.

I'm debating going up to 5 shield skill next gen, and the deciding factor depends on the mechanics of how shield skill affects this "arc of protection", if it all. I know shield skill increases durability, force field against ranged, and raise speed, but I am content with each of those factors with only 4 skill.

Paul, if you read this, I'd love to know the actual equation for the angle of this arc as a function of shield width and skill.

Thanks

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
  • Renown: 794
  • Infamy: 164
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rustyspoon, Sir_Rusty_Of_Spoon, Rusty_the_Spoonarian
Re: Does shield skill increase "arc of protection"?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 08:19:29 pm »
As far as I know and from my own testing, shield skill does not increase the range of protection from melee. So, your only real hope of blocking a hit is to face your attacker. It is a negative of shields that they give you a false sense of security.  The only protection from melee they seem to give is entirely based on the width of the shield.

Still, learning the mechanics behind shield blocking would be quite interesting...
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Phew

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 09:03:06 pm »
I figured as much. I'd really like to know the coverage arc of say a 25 width shield vs. the 39 on the HRS, since some of the Kite/Norman shields are really nice looking. In-game the difference feels substantial (which is why most players seem to use round shields I suppose).

Then again, some buckler users like Mala don't seem to ever get hit from the side, but I suppose that's a function of player skill not game mechanics. Rusty, don't you use a Heavy Round? Seems to hit the sweet spot of coverage/speed/durability while only requiring one slot and 4 skill. I've seen people on market offering Huscarl/Knightly Kite/Norman shields in exchange for the HRS just in the past couple days.

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 09:19:44 pm »
Honestly the width and height of a shield doesn't make a huge difference unless you're talking about ranged. If you're facing your opponent, you'll never get hit around your shield.

I've done gens with the heavy round, the knightly heater and the buckler. I've recently switched back to the heavy round not because of coverage but because of shield stun. I like the knightly heater, especially for it's ability to tap blocks. 100 speed shields are the only ones that block as fast as manual blocking does. However, I found that it got stunned too often for my tastes. The only time I get shield stunned nowadays is from a str stacker using a bar mace.

The blocking lag with a HRS is VERY noticeable though. Even with a MW one and 6 shield skill.

Offline Mala

• Earl
  • Renown: 412
  • Infamy: 61
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 09:44:46 pm »
Then again, some buckler users like Mala don't seem to ever get hit from the side, but I suppose that's a function of player skill not game mechanics. Rusty, don't you use a Heavy Round? Seems to hit the sweet spot of coverage/speed/durability while only requiring one slot and 4 skill. I've seen people on market offering Huscarl/Knightly Kite/Norman shields in exchange for the HRS just in the past couple days.

Naa, that is just from the 3rd person view. I get hit by sideswings through the block quite often while nearly "perfect" hits at the sides of other shielders get blocked.
So you dont get that what you see.

Offline Phew

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 09:49:15 pm »
I find myself backpedaling in 1v2 situations a lot, often on walls in siege. I'd like the coverage to be wide enough that I can block guys at both 2 O'clock and 10 O'clock simultaneously, and the HRS accomplishes that I think (barely).

Rusty, have you tried a compromise shield in the 90-96 speed range, but heavier than 6? Brown Lion, Green Crescent, Kite, or Heater? Balb seems to do OK with his Brown Lion. I just wish there were other cosmetic options for a shield with those stats.

If width isn't that important in melee, Heavy Kite looks pretty appealing. At +3, 91 speed, 20 armor, 540ish hp, 8 weight.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 09:59:32 pm by Phew »

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 09:59:45 pm »
I find myself backpedaling in 1v2 situations a lot, often on walls in siege. I'd like the coverage to be wide enough that I can block guys at both 2 O'clock and 10 O'clock simultaneously, and the HRS accomplishes that I think (barely).

Rusty, have you tried a compromise shield in the 90-96 speed range, but heavier than 6? Brown Lion, Green Crescent, or Heater? Balb seems to do OK with his Brown Lion. I just wish there were other cosmetic options for a shield with those stats.

If that's what you're after I would go for either the heater or heavy heater. Both of them are heraldric and both are faster than the heavy round. The heavy heater is also more durable than the heavy round but it's a 2 slot shield.

Another interesting point. If you have 2 enemies in front of you one at the 2 o'clock and another at the 10'clock position and they are too close to you, they can still hit around a heavy round shield. But, as long as you keep backing up, you'll be fine. If a shield user is blocking, they move as fast going forward as they do going backward. Without a shield you move slower blocking and going backward than going forward.

Offline Phew

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2012, 10:13:46 pm »
Do you think round shields do a better job of disguising swing direction? I feel like I surprise people with Long Espada thrusts way more than I should, and I can't help but think it's because they can't see my thrust drawing back behind my shield.

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2012, 10:30:16 pm »
Do you think round shields do a better job of disguising swing direction? I feel like I surprise people with Long Espada thrusts way more than I should, and I can't help but think it's because they can't see my thrust drawing back behind my shield.

Not really. It's pretty obvious when a 1-hander is going for a thrust as all their other attacks put their arm up by their head. The 1h thrust is just the easiest one to go around blocks with if you're turning into it.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2012, 10:41:47 pm »
From my experience, shield skill does help melee coverage. But I can be mistaking. What I'm sure of is that nearly any round shield has a "better" coverage than nearly any kite/board/heather shield. Round shields have a decent coverage on the sides. And that is the only thing you really care about.

Offline Camaris

• Count
  • Renown: 223
  • Infamy: 56
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Neresto_HRE
  • IRC nick: Neresto_HRE
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2012, 02:43:08 am »
+1
Would love if they finally speed up every single shield but the fastest.
They all could need additional speed. Instead nerfing 2h and poles all day long they should have
buffed 1h that way one time.

Offline okiN

• Marshall
  • Renown: 924
  • Infamy: 129
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2012, 07:41:09 am »
+1
Shield skill does increase the forcefield size.
Don't.

Offline Renten

• Knight
  • Renown: 36
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2012, 09:31:40 am »
When my shield skill gets really high I tend to be able to block attacks that shouldn't even be near me. So I'd assume it increases the size. Right now with 4 shield I've had people hit me around my shield from as much as 25 degrees from straight in front of me. Almost always a turned thrust too. I'd say in certain situations the weapon will register a side hit before it would register a frontal hit, causing random shield fails. Thing is it would be happening to manual blockers too, have you guys had an increase is hits like this?

I've also noticed back swing kills happening more often now.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 09:33:02 am by Renten »

Offline ManOfWar

• Count
  • Renown: 243
  • Infamy: 36
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • No crutches at all!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Remnants
  • Game nicks: Remnant_ManOfWar (Formerly Takeda)
  • IRC nick: ManOfWar
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2012, 01:45:58 pm »
+2
I like how 2h can block attacks to the side and some times behind
Just a soldier

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2571
  • Infamy: 81
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2012, 02:08:58 pm »
I don't like that at all and I'm 2H. It makes my build nearly useless.