Poll

Allow Great Lance to Block/Attack on foot?

Yes to both.
12 (37.5%)
No to both.
15 (46.9%)
Yes, only to blocking.
5 (15.6%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Author Topic: Great Lance and Pike  (Read 1179 times)

Offline Malaclypse

• King
  • Renown: 1299
  • Infamy: 146
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.
    • View Profile
Great Lance and Pike
« on: February 11, 2012, 04:16:12 am »
Give Great Lance the ability to block and attack on foot, or remove those abilities from Pike. It's shorter and slower, and it can't even block, while the Pike can because... I'm not sure. I'm not strongly for either position, but would suggest one or the other is done.
You think you're pretty smart with your dago mustache and your greasy hair.

Offline Zerran

• Count
  • Renown: 276
  • Infamy: 48
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
  • Game nicks: Caita_KUTT, Fellys_KUTT
Re: Great Lance and Pike
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 04:40:38 am »
Don't touch mah pike god damnit!!!

As to the GL, I don't think this is possible. afaik it can either attack both while mounted AND while on foot, or neither. I don't think it's possible to do either/or.

Also why should the pike be nerfed because of the GL? That's like saying I want athletics to give me the ability to run as fast as a horse because otherwise cav are OP. It's a weapon to be used on a mount, not a footman's weapon. It's 2 slot for a reason. Pike is 3 slot and CANNOT BE USED WHILE MOUNTED.

The GL needs to be changed, it's a broken weapon. But nerfing a completely unrelated weapon is not the way to fix it.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Malaclypse

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2012, 04:48:46 am »
I don't like the random decision that Great Lance edit:*EXCLUSIVELY* be a mounted weapon. I used to use it all the time on foot in Native, and I miss being able to; was just using the Pike as a comparison, and the absurdity of removing Pike's both attack/block on foot.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 05:21:30 am by Malaclypse »

Offline Brrrak

• Earl
  • Renown: 442
  • Infamy: 63
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Brrrak
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2012, 05:02:55 am »
+2
Fuck everyone who's mad at pikes and long spears, damn, wtf.

Offline Zerran

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2012, 05:35:39 am »
I don't like the random decision that Great Lance edit:*EXCLUSIVELY* be a mounted weapon. I used to use it all the time on foot in Native, and I miss being able to; was just using the Pike as a comparison, and the absurdity of removing Pike's both attack/block on foot.

Sorry, it's just that a large portion of the community seriously believes the pike needs to have it's ability to block removed. So to a lot of people, (whom I firmly believe have never so much as touched a pike) it's not an absurd suggestion.   :|

EDIT: I do agree with you that the GL needs to be changed, and IF it's possible, giving it the ability to be used on foot would be a good addition to it. I just don't think it's possible.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 05:36:53 am by Zerran »

Offline Digu213

• Knight
  • Renown: 46
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
  • Wahaha my skirt!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Royalist Knight
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, 02:35:43 pm »
Stop all this nerfing of stuff.. Begin buffing more, more deadly more equality between different weapons. My point of view...

Offline dodnet

• Duke
  • Renown: 595
  • Infamy: 149
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Wolpertinger
  • Game nicks: DoD, DoD_Wolper
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2012, 06:30:34 pm »
Using the Great Lance on foot is just stupid. You wont be able to do anything with that heavy slow beast of wood.
The logic of war seems to be that if a belligerent can fight he will fight.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Malaclypse

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2012, 07:28:09 pm »
Using the Great Lance on foot is just stupid. You wont be able to do anything with that heavy slow beast of wood.

It's only 3 speed less than Pike, with like 280 reach (20 less than pike) when used with a shield, and like 11 more damage, while only being 11 difficulty. 12/27 hoplite madness!?

Offline Zerran

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2012, 02:01:54 am »
It's only 3 speed less than Pike, with like 280 reach (20 less than pike) when used with a shield, and like 11 more damage, while only being 11 difficulty. 12/27 hoplite madness!?

Well not quite. It's 3 speed less and 11 damage higher only when used with 2 hands. With a shield it drops down quite a lot in both damage and speed. (about 30% in both if i remember correctly)

Offline dodnet

• Duke
  • Renown: 595
  • Infamy: 149
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Wolpertinger
  • Game nicks: DoD, DoD_Wolper
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2012, 08:07:42 am »

It's funny how these arguments always turn around 2 or 3 stats, leaving the rest completely out. The GL is 2 more weight, costs less and if you look at the model you will see that it's completely useless on foot. You cant even hold it right on foot! And for realism: I don't think that anyone would even try to use that shit on foot because its useless like a wooden trunk in battle.
The logic of war seems to be that if a belligerent can fight he will fight.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Spawny

• Count
  • Renown: 152
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Templar_Spawny
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2012, 10:30:06 am »
+1
I think they did it wrong in native and fixed it in cRPG.

Why for the love of god would you be able to thrust with a great lance? It's a jousting lance!

How are you going to use a jousting lance on foot?

It's current use makes perfect sense imo, the reason it's broken lies in other weapons, not the stats/useage of the great lance.

The problem is even if you are number 1 in NA you are still only number 467 in EU or the worst in AUS(number 17)

Offline ArchonAlarion

• Baron
  • Renown: 98
  • Infamy: 54
  • Late 15th cen. English Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: ArchonAlarion, DON'T_WAKE_GRANDPA, NASTY_TURTLE, UNARMED_CLASS_ DON'T_BAN_PLS, et al.
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2012, 03:09:36 pm »

As to the GL, I don't think this is possible. afaik it can either attack both while mounted AND while on foot, or neither. I don't think it's possible to do either/or.

It is possible. There is a mounted lance stab and dismounted lance stab.

Offline Spa_geh_tea

• Baron
  • Renown: 130
  • Infamy: 114
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bearded Vagrant
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2012, 01:10:30 am »
+3
If anything, GL needs a range increase or all the other lances need a range decrease. So that the GL out-ranges or is on par with the poke poke cav. Cause its really obnoxious that someone with a lance can strike before the GL hits. Couching is a lot harder to accomplish against enemy cav riding head on then poking ( you can turn your pokes through-out the motion).

Offline Garem

• Count
  • Renown: 268
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • The Black Company forums
  • Faction: The Black Company
  • Game nicks: Garem_BlackCompany
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2012, 08:10:10 pm »
If anything, GL needs a range increase or all the other lances need a range decrease. So that the GL out-ranges or is on par with the poke poke cav. Cause its really obnoxious that someone with a lance can strike before the GL hits. Couching is a lot harder to accomplish against enemy cav riding head on then poking ( you can turn your pokes through-out the motion).

While I don't mind much either way, I do have to point out that you can ALSO turn couch directions while moving. Couching is superior to thrusting in regards to aim- it's a CONSTANT thrust so timing doesn't matter so long as its within the "hold" duration of several seconds, but at a shorter range. Your case has merits, but this argument does not.
The Black Company's Strategus Trainer
http://forum.melee.org/faction-halls/black-company-recruiting-na/
Forums: http://nadeathsquad.freeforums.org/
Formerly of the Fallen Brigade, Homeys4Lyfe

Offline isatis

• Duke
  • Renown: 624
  • Infamy: 78
  • cRPG Player
  • ink+water showing their true potential!
    • View Profile
    • le Clan des Cochons!
  • Faction: Le clan des Cochons!!
  • Game nicks: Cochon_Furtif_Isatis
  • IRC nick: Isatis
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2012, 12:53:46 am »
User: Give Great Lance the ability to block and attack on foot, or remove those abilities from Pike. It's shorter and slower, and it can't even block, while the Pike can because... I'm not sure. I'm not strongly for either position, but would suggest one or the other is done.

Cleverbot: Just keep putting one foot in front of the other, and soon you'll be walking out the door.

eurgh... sorry, cleverbot no approve...

Isatis approve still!

(givin GL block+attack on foot not nerfin pike)
So the new response to ranged ragers is not "get a shield", it is "learn to chamber ranged nub!"