Author Topic: A suggestion for cavalry  (Read 755 times)

Offline Farrix

• Baron
  • Renown: 122
  • Infamy: 77
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
A suggestion for cavalry
« on: February 08, 2012, 11:29:46 am »
I favor cavalry for the NA servers. This means that I use a heavy lance. This weapon is very effective on horseback. I've recently retired and loomed my destrier once again to become cavalry again. I would like to use the same equipment as I had in my previous generation. This included a bec de corbin. at lvl 30 i had something like 130 wpf in poles, and about 100 in 1handers. I was able to use a shield while deploying my lance. However, when dehorsed I was left with the lance in hand and a 1 hand weapon that I did not prefer and that I had a lower WPF in. My only real concern lies with the fact that a heavy lance is both unsheathable, and takes up two of four available slots. The nature of this weapon and the necessity of a lance while on horseback and not having enough money to afford a plated charger and armor to allow me to go 1 hand cav build forced me in my previous build to sacrifice the use of my bec on cav maps in favor of a 1h weapon. All this in order to be able to carry a shield. Anyone who has played cav in NA servers knows that you immediately become a target for enemy archers and the shield is indespensable. I would like to be able to make my new gen character have the ability to carry a shield and lance as a package and still have a viable melee polearm. At the moment I believe only the lower level battle fork (forgot its name) is a one slot weapon. There are three simple solutions that would allow me to use my bec and still use a lance on horseback. Option A: drop the shield. Granted this would free up a couple skill points, it would basically guarantee a quicker death with the amount of archers we're seeing in NA servers these days. Especially since they just recently got rebuffed. Option B: Use the Bec from horseback. The length of the bec and the nature of playing against other cavalry and longer poles/2h's makes this unfeasible. And I do not know if you can use a shield while wielding the bec from horseback. Gut feeling is telling me no. Option B: By some miracle, if the lance were switched to consuming only one slot. This is obviously my favorite. However, it also makes the most sense in my mind. It is still considered unsheathable. Its not a viable weapon in melee. The current system forces dedicated cavalry such as myself to split their WPF into both poles and 1h causing performance to suffer with both in melee as a result. This results in the class which I enjoy playing being viable dependant solely on the map. Plus it just seems more realistic anyway. You're tellin me that a horseman couldn't carry his lance in one hand, a shield in the other, and a viable weapon on the back? once on the ground, the lance is gonna get tossed. It shouldn't be both 2 slotted and unsheathable.

Opinions please?

And I apologize for the rambling nature of the post, its been a long night.

Offline Cup1d

• Count
  • Renown: 167
  • Infamy: 54
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercs
Re: A suggestion for cavalry
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 11:48:22 am »
heavy lance, shield, quarter staff

heavy lance, shield, shortened spear

war spear, shield

Fauchard, shield

And I think that Lance must be 2 slot, unsheatable, and have 50% chance to break at every couche.
For less money ofc.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 01:17:13 pm by Cup1d »

Offline dodnet

• Duke
  • Renown: 595
  • Infamy: 149
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Wolpertinger
  • Game nicks: DoD, DoD_Wolper
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 12:35:30 pm »
Wall of text

tl;dr

What do you want?
The logic of war seems to be that if a belligerent can fight he will fight.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 12:36:15 pm »
got paragraphs?

Offline Tennenoth

• Marshall
  • Renown: 818
  • Infamy: 85
  • "Bloody peasant archers!"
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild (Head)
  • Game nicks: Guard_Tenne; Guard_The_Biscuits; Guard_Bugden; Guard_Tennenuff
  • IRC nick: Tennenoth
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 12:39:01 pm »
tl;dr

What do you want?

I seriously dislike people who post things like that. Keep it to yourself if you don't want to help.

heavy lance, shield, quarter staff

Would be my first choice, iirc Cupid is an archer as well as myself and yes, you are right to say that you are a target without your shield on a horse. :)
On EU, Tommyyy does very well with that. (All wpf into polearms makes for a very quick stick.)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

BullDog Clan member since 31/08/2010 / Caravan Guild member since 03/08/2010

How to understand what I say.
Always finish your tea and biscuits regardless of how terrible they are

Offline dodnet

• Duke
  • Renown: 595
  • Infamy: 149
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Wolpertinger
  • Game nicks: DoD, DoD_Wolper
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012, 12:56:58 pm »
I seriously dislike people who post things like that. Keep it to yourself if you don't want to help.

It was just a tip for OP, as this wall of text without any paragraph is really hard to read.
The logic of war seems to be that if a belligerent can fight he will fight.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Smoothrich

• King
  • Renown: 1558
  • Infamy: 986
  • cRPG Player
  • #manup @bigplays
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012, 05:21:13 pm »
ask for cav buffs, prepare to get dumped on

I know what you mean though, but you have to make a a sacrifice to be viable infantry as well as cav, unless you are 1hander.  I've done several gens with no shield at all on horseback to use my favorite 2hander on my back, the only problem is you can't chase down HAs as easily.  Honestly I'd rarely get the chance to use my back up melee weapon anyways, if you get dismounted as cav odds are you are gonna die.  I use the heavy lance more than anything since its basically a long spear and great for fighting by itself.

Its very viable, just don't charge head on into ranged players, and learn to manually block from hoseback.

Also, learn2format bro
My posting is like a katana folded 1000 times to perfection.. and the community is what keeps the edge sharp.. and bloody.  -  Me.

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2012, 09:59:52 pm »
My Archer would like to carry a short fast bow for cavalry and light infantry and also a long bow for heavy plated tin cans. I would also like to have a Flamberge or maybe a Bec de Corbin on my back to use as well. This should not impact the number of arrows I can carry. Please remove slots so I can do this.

Thanks.
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

Offline Farrix

• Baron
  • Renown: 122
  • Infamy: 77
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2012, 11:52:52 pm »
well i think i'll try out a "skip the fun" with a quarter staff and see how that ends up. Thanks for the suggestions.

And once again, sorry for the rambling.

You really shouldn't be having trouble reading though. I'd suggest following up on your schooling if that truly was burdensome on you.  :twisted: