Author Topic: Why Un-nerf!?  (Read 5584 times)

Offline Miley

• Duke
  • Renown: 604
  • Infamy: 327
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Why Un-nerf!?
« on: February 07, 2012, 01:38:25 am »

Offline Meow

• Awesome Consulting Detective
  • King
  • Renown: 1071
  • Infamy: 150
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
Re: Why Un-nerf!?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 01:39:22 am »
+11
Because they were completely useless?

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • Renown: 1226
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Companions
  • Game nicks: Joker86_TP
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 01:53:02 am »
Because they were completely useless?

Yes! So why un-nerf?  :mrgreen:

Nah, just kidding. I would buff those two classes more, anyway. I think it's a pity you can't be a (viable) sword'n'board+crossbow hybrid any more. (I mean REAL hybrid, not a shieldman with a "backup" crossbow)

Edit: forget what I said. You can. In theory. I just don't see them around any more. I thought only the two light crossbows were 1 slot, and together with a really good 1hd (2 slots) and a good shield (2slots) you couldn't equip everything. But I guessed wrong. Even the best 1hd is 1 slot only, and shields don't have slots at all. I think I should take a closer look at items outside of the polearm area  :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 01:57:00 am by Joker86 »
Joker makes a very good point.
î saved for eternety (without context  :mrgreen:)

Offline Miley

• Duke
  • Renown: 604
  • Infamy: 327
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 01:57:44 am »
I mean Arbalest needed a buff, but not a total un-nerf. IMO throwing should've stayed nerfed. I got over 50% taken away in +3 Lamellar with a throwing axe.

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 02:05:16 am »
+2
Throwing was completely useless. Still isn't all that great unless in very capable hands.

On a plus note...after playing my HA for a time again, the reduced amount of cavalry, and increased damage made it a lot more enjoyable again. Also nice to get into some HA fights with Jackie. Been a long time there  :)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 02:09:05 am by Overdriven »

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 02:08:42 am »
I would like to see the damage of throwing nerfed quite a bit, but accuracy and ammo increased, so that they can participate "longer" in fights, and their results are not that luck dependant.

On the other hand this would again increase the ranged spam, and I don't know if throwing should become a viable main class, even as hybrid it can get annoying easily. The more I think about it, the more limiting it to a sidearm for special cases seems the best solution to me.  :?

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 02:09:27 am »
+2
I would like to see the damage of throwing nerfed quite a bit, but accuracy and ammo increased, so that they can participate "longer" in fights, and their results are not that luck dependant.

This would turn them too similar to bows though, in my opinion.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 02:15:18 am »

Still lower range, lower accuracy, higher damage, higher rate of fire. Yes, more similar, but still not really comparable. Especially as you can keep a throwing weapon ready as long as you want, which moves them closer to crossbows than to bows again. It remains something special, which is good.

The problem with throwing is, that it's very effective on close range, and it is quick with high damage. In my eyes the only solution to balancing it properly is by item stats only (in difference to almost every other class which can be balanced by other things, too), and those stats are among the most difficult to balance I can imagine. I think with no other weapon you can feel UP or OP stats so well like with throwing weapons.

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2012, 02:19:47 am »
I like this post:

In my opinion, throwing ought to be the hard counter for cavalry. It makes sense not only because it is historically accurate but it balances out the overall play field. Throwing should absolutely decimate horses, speed bonus + huge heavy ranged missile should = a very dead horse. Throwing was only a problem a year ago or so before slots were introduced and one could use throwing without any wpf. Those days are gone though and even before the latest patch there were very few throwers and even fewer throwers that invoked fear... Chucky and Chestaclese are the only two that come to mind.

I guess my point is that Crpg needs throwing to be stronger in order to balance out the current cavalry problem. Pikes are humorously ineffective because they require the cavalry to be unaware of an enormous stick waving about in the air. Pikes are cavalry deterrent. Archers used to fill this role, but now head shots are the only effective way to bring down anything. Throwing though... throwing has the potential to be an amazing cavalry counter in the right hands. It's like having a limited amount of pikes that you can throw and is balanced due to the small pool of ammunition available.

To be honest, I don't think you're trolling Smooth. I just think you have a completely biased, cry baby perspective. Throwing should ruin horses. It's not OP, it's a balancing measure. Especially against heavy cavalry. Currently, no one fills the roll of anti-cavalry and as I found out this generation as light cavalry; this lack of a counter leads to ridiculous feeling of invincibility from horseback. It doesn't matter if you're spending 100k on upkeep, the law of counters ought to apply to everyone.

Do you charge directly into spearmen who are aware of you? No? That seems balanced correct? Then why should you be able to charge directly at a thrower who's aware of your presence without risk of losing your horse and your life?

Pre-epic-throwing-nerf I used to be shit scared of throwers as a cav. They were the one class I knew could do some serious damage to my horse relatively easily. I'd stay away from them at all costs. Now they have to score a lucky headshot to do any real damage.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 02:21:18 am by Overdriven »

Offline Dach

• Earl
  • Renown: 444
  • Infamy: 92
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Dach_BRD / SNSD_Taeyeon
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2012, 02:42:24 am »
+3
I mean Arbalest needed a buff, but not a total un-nerf. IMO throwing should've stayed nerfed. I got over 50% taken away in +3 Lamellar with a throwing axe.

lamellar vest?  :rolleyes:
A lot of people in the NA community know that Dach rages and in the process of his uncontrollable rage, he tends to kick people.

You've been warned! :twisted:

Offline Turkhammer

• Earl
  • Renown: 376
  • Infamy: 194
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2012, 04:02:35 am »
+1
Why unnerf throwing and arbalest, whyyyy!

Because they made a mistake originally to over nerf them.

Offline Zerran

• Count
  • Renown: 276
  • Infamy: 48
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
  • Game nicks: Caita_KUTT, Fellys_KUTT
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2012, 04:10:16 am »
I don't think they needed to be rebuffed up as much as they were... but then I'm probably incredibly biased in the matter.  :P

On a more serious note, we need to get fewer random plains in the rotation. These weren't bad while archers were nerfed, but now they're murder zones. And can we do something about shotgunning? Getting hit by ranged at... well... range is ok, but getting hit while 5 feet away and unable to dodge is rather bullshit, in my biased opinion.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2012, 04:20:55 am »

I can headshot across the map with my bow. I'd like to see any throwing weapon do the same with any reliability.
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Sergee

• Baron
  • Renown: 127
  • Infamy: 32
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: PRO_TheSerge
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2012, 06:19:45 am »
+2
triple loomed archers hit my triple loomed armor and str build for like 30 percent a shot. GG AGI BUILDS AND LIGHT ARMOR HAVE FUN
PROUD MEMBER OF THE 1%

THE 99% WILL LOOK UP AND SAY "FEED ME"
AND I WILL SHIT DOWN THEIR THROATS.

Offline Gristle

• Duke
  • Renown: 560
  • Infamy: 130
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BRD
  • Game nicks: Gristle_BRD
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2012, 06:27:33 am »
Edit: forget what I said. You can. In theory. I just don't see them around any more. I thought only the two light crossbows were 1 slot, and together with a really good 1hd (2 slots) and a good shield (2slots) you couldn't equip everything. But I guessed wrong. Even the best 1hd is 1 slot only, and shields don't have slots at all. I think I should take a closer look at items outside of the polearm area  :rolleyes:

Shields have slots, but they aren't listed on the website. Crossbow, bolts, 1H weapon, 1 slot shield is still very playable, and was my build for all but my most recent generation. A Masterwork Crossbow is certainly no Arbalest when it comes to damage, but it's still a considerable threat that reloads fairly quickly.

I may switch back, but I'm enjoying the mobility from not having a shield right now. Even as a shieldless player, I am not finding other projectiles to be a problem, but that's a discussion for another thread.