Author Topic: How to stay calm during a (cRPG) gaming session?  (Read 5940 times)

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
How to stay calm during a (cRPG) gaming session?
« on: February 05, 2012, 04:36:58 am »
+8
Funny how I ask this, because in real life, I am a laid back, calm person, who hates raising his voice most of the time.

But I'm noticing that this coolness is kinda disappearing in my gaming personality. I try to be nice, or anything, but I get overloaded with all the "cheap" deaths, and stuff like that. It's ironic because this wouldn't happen a year ago or two. It's a recent thing.
(Happens at other games too, not just cRPG, sadly.)

I think of it as an illness, that needs to be cured somehow. I never was the guy who smashed keyboards, or yelled out loud of anger, and I'm not in a bad stage like that. It's just that I quickly reach for the chat, to talk bullshit I even regret about 20seconds after, and it makes me look foolish. Of course this leads to even more mistakes, that lead to even more stupid talk. It's a cycle of madness.
I'm sure people here can confirm me doing this.  :lol:

What do you think, how could I get back on track again? I know how annoying this can be to others, and It's kinda shameful, and retarded to do this. Yet, I prone to do it way too often these days.

And no, I'm not drunk.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 04:42:00 am by Christo »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
Re: How to stay calm during a (cRPG) gaming session?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 04:41:46 am »
I make sure I only play with friends on TeamSpeak, even though my performance suffers drastically because I spend more time talking and laughing then playing, it makes me stay calm and happy.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Araxiel

• Earl
  • Renown: 387
  • Infamy: 77
  • ((===||:::::::::::::::>
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Vincent_Ruth
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 04:43:58 am »
Unbind global and team chat key. :P
Well I roleplayed gay for long time to get Asca attention as harmless one but it didnt help. I only attracted Tueten, Cicero and Grey Order...

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 04:44:08 am »
I make sure I only play with friends on TeamSpeak, even though my performance suffers drastically because I spend more time talking and laughing then playing, it makes me stay calm and happy.

Nothing is better than talking to people and stuff.

There is one thing I usually do, open the chat, start typing in, then not hitting enter, DELETING what I said, and press enter afterwards.
It's only a half-solution, and when I'm not in a mood I described above, it works.

Unbind global and team chat key.

Sounds good, but it's another "half solution". I'd still feel frustrated on my side. At least others wouldn't hear about it.  :mrgreen:
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 04:46:19 am by Christo »

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Uumdi

• Duke
  • Renown: 651
  • Infamy: 59
  • Ready to Die
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Uumdi_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: Uumdi
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 04:50:33 am »
+13
Do what a couple of us did on TS one day, and play the compliment game.  At the beginning of the next round, you compliment the person who killed you, in a completely non-sarcastic, genuine way.  Hahaha, it comes out hilarious, a couple people were getting really into it.

I know what you mean though.  I'm a positive guy too, try my best to be honorable and humble even to strangers on the internet, but I told them if I had voice activation on they'd worry about me.

A large part of it is day to day stuff too.  Not to blame it on the time of year, but we do tend to set the bar pretty low for ourselves and let things slide, stagnate, and build up.  I notice my language has taken a serious turn for the worse, and big deal right?  Our words mean stuff though, they really do. 

Maybe step away, do something IRL for a couple hours that relaxes you.  Realize we've all had humiliating experiences and not everyone's as big an asshole as they really act sometimes.  I know I haven't played on an alt in ages, that would be fun to do to take things less seriously and play the game from a different angle.  Try something new, and realize nobody looks above or below their own name on the scoreboard, and the game is full of horseshit and goofy mechanics.  Its the price to pay for international multiplayer.

Ten shots of prayers, ten shots a day
A shot of thrill to hide the pain.
They can`t win, they just don`t cry,
The troopers know they live to die.

Offline Smoothrich

• King
  • Renown: 1558
  • Infamy: 986
  • cRPG Player
  • #manup @bigplays
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2012, 04:54:38 am »
+7
drugs

also, having 5x for hours at a time, USA clan #1 top scoreboards with badplayer all day errday
My posting is like a katana folded 1000 times to perfection.. and the community is what keeps the edge sharp.. and bloody.  -  Me.

Offline Malaclypse

• King
  • Renown: 1299
  • Infamy: 146
  • In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2012, 04:56:44 am »
+1
Do what a couple of us did on TS one day, and play the compliment game.  At the beginning of the next round, you compliment the person who killed you, in a completely non-sarcastic, genuine way.  Hahaha, it comes out hilarious, a couple people were getting really into it.

I know what you mean though.  I'm a positive guy too, try my best to be honorable and humble even to strangers on the internet, but I told them if I had voice activation on they'd worry about me.

A large part of it is day to day stuff too.  Not to blame it on the time of year, but we do tend to set the bar pretty low for ourselves and let things slide, stagnate, and build up.  I notice my language has taken a serious turn for the worse, and big deal right?  Our words mean stuff though, they really do. 

Maybe step away, do something IRL for a couple hours that relaxes you.  Realize we've all had humiliating experiences and not everyone's as big an asshole as they really act sometimes.  I know I haven't played on an alt in ages, that would be fun to do to take things less seriously and play the game from a different angle.  Try something new, and realize nobody looks above or below their own name on the scoreboard, and the game is full of horseshit and goofy mechanics.  Its the price to pay for international multiplayer.

qft, and the compliment game was genuinely refreshing.
You think you're pretty smart with your dago mustache and your greasy hair.

Offline SoA_Sir_ODHarry

• Baron
  • Renown: 134
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: ODharry
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2012, 04:59:23 am »
i vote for drugs
crpg?
hey i dont even..
Crob: i'm in duel tryin to not be shit
Crob: now i'm running round eu2 with a dagger

JOIN The Horde NAO
       http://steamcommunity.com/groups/F-POC

Offline Arkonor

• Knight
  • Renown: 72
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Arkonor
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2012, 05:00:38 am »
Live and LEARN.

Don't rage at your teammates that did something moronic (even if they did=). Just adapt your play style to fit theirs more.

Don't rage at the guy that obviously has no idea how to play the game and charged through 2 pikemens and luckily got through them just to backstab you.

Don't rage at the archer that has higher athletics then you and keeps running away. Buy a shield or just don't follow.

Don't rage at that guy in your team with the poleaxe that likes his right swing a lot. Even when there is 1 enemy and 10 friendlies. Just push "m" and hope he will learn.

To sum up: Don't blame anyone but yourself for what happened to you in that game.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2012, 05:02:39 am »
+2
To sum up: Don't blame anyone but yourself for what happened to you in that game.

MILITARY DOCTRINE
RULE nr. 1 – DEATH
- Whenever on battlefields you find yourself in the situation where you are close to death, it is always your fault. There is no bad luck, no overwhelming, no missing the strikes, no bad brother-in-arms… There is only lack of awareness, not retreating in time , bad skill with arms and wrongly chosen position in the battlefield. You must understand, that sword, arrow or pike in your chest is always under no conditions your fault. Whenever you die, it is not only you who is dying, you take a bit of the Brigade to the grave too.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline isatis

• Duke
  • Renown: 624
  • Infamy: 78
  • cRPG Player
  • ink+water showing their true potential!
    • View Profile
    • le Clan des Cochons!
  • Faction: Le clan des Cochons!!
  • Game nicks: Cochon_Furtif_Isatis
  • IRC nick: Isatis
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2012, 05:08:08 am »
Write your rage comment and delete it after is good

if you really upset about c-rpg just stop playing it

if it's all the game, stop playing for one day : go outside! do something else for one day, you'll see you'll enjoy a lot more game after!

also, blaming everything in an ironical way is funny!

(exemple blamming sun in your eyes, cat on keyboard, inundation all cool thing, make you feel better)

if you rage at a game it's bad and stressful

also, try to play without seriousness, it can be awesome sometime (like taking in hostage afk ennemie guy)
So the new response to ranged ragers is not "get a shield", it is "learn to chamber ranged nub!"

Offline Smoothrich

• King
  • Renown: 1558
  • Infamy: 986
  • cRPG Player
  • #manup @bigplays
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2012, 05:12:24 am »
+11
MILITARY DOCTRINE
RULE nr. 1 – DEATH
- Whenever on battlefields you find yourself in the situation where you are close to death, it is always because you were balanced on the Fallen team. There is no bad luck, no overwhelming, no missing the strikes, no bad brother-in-arms… There is only lack of teamwork, Fallen camping the biggest hill at spawn on the map, terrible Fallen cav dying in droves and teamkilling the good cav, 3/4 of the team overwhelmed in melee because Fallen camps alone and refuses to help teammates. You must understand, that sword, arrow or pike in your chest is always under no conditions your fault.  It's because you were balanced to the Fallen team.  Whenever you die, it is not only you who is dying, it is the enjoyment of the game dying for the team stuck at 1x while USA cav rolls a 5x for another map in a row.
My posting is like a katana folded 1000 times to perfection.. and the community is what keeps the edge sharp.. and bloody.  -  Me.

Offline JihadistMexican

• Knight
  • Renown: 65
  • Infamy: 26
  • cRPG Player
  • God Bless
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Gay One
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2012, 05:20:37 am »
I bow down to Smooth's superior logic.
"I know were gona lose strat, but lets leech all the xp we can."

Offline Rhaelys

• Duke
  • Renown: 509
  • Infamy: 47
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: Rhaelys_BlockLeft_of_Chaos
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2012, 05:28:10 am »
+2

This.

Quote from: Uumdi
sweet of you guys to celebrate my birthday
wait you're talking about that devils lettuce arent you, god damnit
Quote from: Kreczor
yo you want to burn some sweet romaine tonight?
Quote from: Uumdi
yeah i smoke that dirty green shit fuck iceberg

Offline Casimir

• King
  • Renown: 1756
  • Infamy: 271
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The Dashing Templar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Casimir
  • IRC nick: Casimir
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2012, 05:33:06 am »
+1
Punch your flat mates until they stop complaining.
Turtles