Poll

Give Spear back it's horse rearing capabilities?

Yes.
50 (71.4%)
No.
13 (18.6%)
Yes, but only with a shield.
7 (10%)

Total Members Voted: 70

Author Topic: Give Spear back horse-rearing ability  (Read 3262 times)

Offline Malaclypse

• King
  • Renown: 1299
  • Infamy: 146
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.
    • View Profile
Re: Give Spear back horse-rearing ability
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2012, 04:18:20 am »
spears shouldn't rear horses like warhorse due to low damage, i have alot of riding so my horse become much stronger

Spear has higher pierce damage than Trident/Pitchfork, which I believe rear ponies; aside from that damage is more determined by Power Strike, so I could do more damage with Spear than someone else does with Pike, it's all relative- consider also that in most cases there will be even more increased damage due to the speed bonus applied; not that damage matters as a determinant of rearing, right? Also I don't think Riding skill makes your horse more hardy, but I guess I don't really know.
You think you're pretty smart with your dago mustache and your greasy hair.

Offline Zerran

• Count
  • Renown: 276
  • Infamy: 48
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
  • Game nicks: Caita_KUTT, Fellys_KUTT
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2012, 05:36:35 am »
spears shouldn't rear horses like warhorse due to low damage, i have alot of riding so my horse become much stronger

This post makes no sense.

Spears have some very nice pierce damage, please check stats before posting. Also, riding doesn't give your horse armor.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline dodnet

• Duke
  • Renown: 595
  • Infamy: 149
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Wolpertinger
  • Game nicks: DoD, DoD_Wolper
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2012, 08:47:51 am »
In the video it looks like you get hit by the horse before you can hit the horse. So maybe the spear is just too short. That would explain why you could rear the horse when its slower.

Its also about timing probably. During the first part of the thrusting animation you wont do any damage. It sometimes happens to me with long spear when I release the thrust too late. The long spear goes half into the horse without doing anything and I get hit by the horse/the lance of the rider. Its only working after like 2/3 of the animation.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 08:52:27 am by dodnet »
The logic of war seems to be that if a belligerent can fight he will fight.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Voso

• Earl
  • Renown: 330
  • Infamy: 35
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The So-so.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Huey's Cavalieres
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2012, 10:20:10 am »
In the video it looks like you get hit by the horse before you can hit the horse. So maybe the spear is just too short. That would explain why you could rear the horse when its slower.

Its also about timing probably. During the first part of the thrusting animation you wont do any damage. It sometimes happens to me with long spear when I release the thrust too late. The long spear goes half into the horse without doing anything and I get hit by the horse/the lance of the rider. Its only working after like 2/3 of the animation.

Yeah, I agree with dodnet. It looks like you aren't stabbing fast enough. If the animation was further along it may work. Of course this would be way easier with the war spear and various other polearms with longer reach.

Your timing just looks off.

There are old sellswords and bold sellswords, but there are no old, bold sellswords.

Offline Malaclypse

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2012, 12:31:23 pm »
During the first part of the thrusting animation you wont do any damage.

If you pay attention the video, I know it's poor quality, you can plainly see blood appear on the horse and weapon, indicating a successful hit of the horse, though I am ran over immediately thereafter. The easiest time to see it is after the first rearing attempt when I put it on my back, it has very obviously been bloodied. In the second attempt you see me pick up a clean Spear, which is then bloodied after the attempt, as well, indicating a hit. Brunchlady and I just made some more, including tests in Native (which worked), which will hopefully be of better quality since he knows what he's doing in terms of working with videos.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 12:34:36 pm by Malaclypse »

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2012, 01:19:34 pm »
+1
Going to vouch. Something's off. We did some testing and I recorded it.
Everything shorter than warspear  <150 isn't rearing to my knowledge
Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Vj7unr8OAA
Malaclypse's sweet sweet voice

I back up when thrusting so I don't murder the horse in one shot with speed bonus.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 02:21:07 pm by Marathon »
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline Malaclypse

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2012, 03:34:14 pm »
Malaclypse's sweet sweet voice

Thanks again for the help man! Also, careful with the video, it's easy to miss that the first test- the succesful rear- was on Native, while the others (in the rain) are on cRPG.

Offline n445

• Knight
  • Renown: 40
  • Infamy: 56
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2012, 06:23:43 pm »
war spears and spears already OP with the massive stun they do. No need to buff it and add another thing. Quit whinninig.
01000001 01110010 01110100 01111001 01101111 01101101 01000010 01110010 01100101 01100111 01101101 01100001 01101110 00000000 000000000000000001000001 01110010 01110100 01111001 01101111 01101101 00000000 0000000001001001 01110100 00100000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01001011 01110010 01101111 011011

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2012, 07:30:20 pm »
+1
Quit whinninig.

Look at that, you almost got it right by mistake, this thread is indeed about whinnying.
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline BADPLAYERold

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 362
  • Infamy: 163
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: PRO
  • Game nicks: BADPLAYER
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2012, 08:11:38 am »
As a Cavalry player I noticed a change quite awhile ago about rearing, I forget which patch it was but after a certain patch my horse stopped getting reared by halfsworded 2handers and the shorter polearms, for example Goretooth used to be pretty good at rearing horses with his short Bec de Corbin, now I have multiple times seen him stab horses with it to no avail.

Offline Froto_the_Loc

• Count
  • Renown: 252
  • Infamy: 94
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
  • CRaPGame
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Locia
  • Game nicks: Froto_the_loc
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2012, 08:19:24 am »
+1
"Buff my weapon because I use it!"

I would think most all stab oriented weapons would have rear, and the swing-y ones not.
It is a bit  frail looking though, I think a plated charger would have no trouble making it explode in your hands.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 09:12:47 am by Froto_the_Loc »
Hooray for customization and hybridization!
Down with monotonous pure classes!

Offline Uumdi

• Duke
  • Renown: 651
  • Infamy: 59
  • Ready to Die
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Uumdi_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: Uumdi
« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2012, 08:34:34 am »
Yeah, its not about rallying for the weapon you use, spearmen are anti cav more than anti infantry.

I can understand maybe... not rearing armored horses I suppose.

Ten shots of prayers, ten shots a day
A shot of thrill to hide the pain.
They can`t win, they just don`t cry,
The troopers know they live to die.

Offline Goretooth

• Duke
  • Renown: 634
  • Infamy: 237
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2012, 09:17:12 am »
As a Cavalry player I noticed a change quite awhile ago about rearing, I forget which patch it was but after a certain patch my horse stopped getting reared by halfsworded 2handers and the shorter polearms, for example Goretooth used to be pretty good at rearing horses with his short Bec de Corbin, now I have multiple times seen him stab horses with it to no avail.
10 ps and a piece hitting a horse and it just keeps going that makes sense.....

Braeden - Clanless maybe? or Free Peasant not sure - Rarely plays, plus might be retarded
Tydeus - Nord EU Scum - Hates adminning

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2012, 04:44:55 pm »
I was also a cav player when this was "introduced" (bug or whatever it is). A lot of the shorter weapons stopped rearing my horse. I also remember doing some tests with a clanmate of mine. Some of the polearms didn't rear my horse then. Now we have seen videos of people not rearing the horse whent hey stab them with certain polearms. What we need to really confirm this is to do the same tests, but from the viewpoint of the horseman so we can keep an eye on the horses health. Then we can confirm if it actually DOES take damage.

PS: it's a LONG time since I was cav, so this isn't really something new :/
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline Malaclypse

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2012, 06:06:15 pm »
What we need to really confirm this is to do the same tests, but from the viewpoint of the horseman so we can keep an eye on the horses health. Then we can confirm if it actually DOES take damage.

I think Marathon recorded some from his angle on horseback, too, but I'm not sure if he deleted those after compiling before or what. I'd say just from looks (blood appearing) the horse was taking damage, though. I think we also got some stuff of the Military Fork (the 1 slot fork) not rearing.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 06:08:05 pm by Malaclypse »