Author Topic: Jump Attacks - Damage penalty  (Read 3569 times)

Offline Cedric_Scott

• Peasant
  • Renown: 5
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Empire
  • Game nicks: Cedric_Scott
Re: Jump Attacks - Damage penalty
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2012, 06:54:44 pm »
Should restore jump attack to archers and xbowmen.

As long as when you jump the aiming reticule goes to the very edges of your screen, that would work.

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2012, 07:32:11 pm »
As long as when you jump the aiming reticule goes to the very edges of your screen, that would work.

A better implemenation than yielding the game to luck, it to increase the mouse speed to maximum while they are airborne and then back to normal when they land. It is very disorienting and will be difficult to make fine tuned shots, but it will still depend upon skill, not luck.
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2012, 07:38:26 pm »
My mouse speed is on maximum.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2012, 07:48:37 pm »
My mouse speed is on maximum.

Yeah, I guess the game can't touch the windows settings for it.  :?
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

Offline Zerran

• Count
  • Renown: 276
  • Infamy: 48
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
  • Game nicks: Caita_KUTT, Fellys_KUTT
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2012, 08:35:10 pm »
Perhaps I am lacking skill (in form of knowledge) here, but I don't see any reason where jumping would help against cav. If you don't jump an strike horizontally just stay on the ground and aim a bit above.  :?

Or is it really about those centimeters when the tip of the lance is under your feet and the few centimeters you get horizontally if you don't aim above?

Jumping gives you a speed boost for a moment,  which can help launch you out of the way of the lance if timed properly, and puts you at equal height with the mounted player, which means you have a much easier time hitting them, and not just the horse. If you're using a 1H or 2H it's extremely difficult to deal with semi intelligent cav without jumping.

Offline MeevarTheMighty

• Count
  • Renown: 242
  • Infamy: 56
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • http://www.afp.gov.au/what-we-do/
  • Faction: RDP
  • Game nicks: Genemeve et al
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2012, 02:09:42 am »
Unless you behave like the chaps in your avatar (use a weapon with better reach than lance minus distance to horse nose).

While not the easiest or most foolproof way to defeat cav, jumpthrust will always be the *best* way.

Offline Aleta

• Knight
  • Renown: 32
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Rhodok
  • Game nicks: Aleta, Diavolo
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2012, 01:02:35 am »
How about removing jumping and attacking? Looks silly as hell.

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2012, 03:30:57 am »
How about removing jumping and attacking? Looks silly as hell.
Camping, pretty much. Imagine someone going on a roof you have to jump to get on. If you couldn't attack/block while jumping, the guy could just stand there and kill the others as they jump to get to him. Seen in a lot of other mods where they removed jumpattack/block. Works in Mount&Musket because of the muskets, but all the melee focused ones usually suffer from it. Ofc, it could be made kick or banable, but there aren't always an admin on and you know the rest.
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline Dravic

• Knight
  • Renown: 78
  • Infamy: 29
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Not playing
  • Game nicks: Not playing
  • IRC nick: Most likely Dravic
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2012, 06:32:02 am »
Camping, pretty much. Imagine someone going on a roof you have to jump to get on. If you couldn't attack/block while jumping, the guy could just stand there and kill the others as they jump to get to him. Seen in a lot of other mods where they removed jumpattack/block. Works in Mount&Musket because of the muskets, but all the melee focused ones usually suffer from it. Ofc, it could be made kick or banable, but there aren't always an admin on and you know the rest.

The rest is the fact that it's silly. Guys really, I know you love realism and all, but it's a game. BALANCE.

On the other hand, why would you nerf ninjas and agi characters?

Remove agi completly, so we all have to swing one direction with polearms or 2handers. You know, for sake of the fact I am too slow to react for fastfast agi swings.

Offline Wookimonsta

• Hoopy frood
  • Count
  • Renown: 206
  • Infamy: 143
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2012, 05:35:25 pm »
Did you not see 300? Jump attacks do more damage
[14:36] <@chadz> when you login there is a message "your life as horse archer was too depressing for you. you decided to commit suicide. please create a new char"
<dexxtaa> I just saw nakey ladies and I left
<@Fasader> dexxtaa is clearly gay

Offline OoberNoob

• Peasant
  • Renown: 3
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lost Legion
  • Game nicks: LL_OoberNoob
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2012, 03:19:35 am »
Nerf throwers more.

But seriously, you would think that jumping would decrease that amount of damage dealt since your not bracing yourself on the ground and they are, and if they aren't then both should have knockdown animations as they chestbump each other and their equipment gets tangled.

Offline Tennenoth

• Marshall
  • Renown: 818
  • Infamy: 85
  • "Bloody peasant archers!"
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild (Head)
  • Game nicks: Guard_Tenne; Guard_The_Biscuits; Guard_Bugden; Guard_Tennenuff
  • IRC nick: Tennenoth
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2012, 12:41:29 pm »
Perhaps I am lacking skill (in form of knowledge) here, but I don't see any reason where jumping would help against cav. If you don't jump an strike horizontally just stay on the ground and aim a bit above.  :?

Or is it really about those centimeters when the tip of the lance is under your feet and the few centimeters you get horizontally if you don't aim above?

Jumping at the right moment will always make your movement harder to predict and therefore cav will have a harder chance to hit you properly. I see a lot of people jump swing cavalry and it's much easier to get a clear hit on the rider if they don't have a shield/are really gunning for the attack.

Part of that is personal experience, sure, I nearly always jump to avoid a single cavalry player and if I think I am in with a chance, I swing for them, I have quite often killed a rider when they've missed due to my large movement change and allowed me that opportunity to counter.

It's particularly useful for archers because of our low ps, if you maximise your movement, even if you land and can't move for a time, you've still launched yourself out of the way. Maybe it's a placebo effect but I feel you jump faster than you can move, particularly if you're not up to full speed.

And you seriously can't tell me you've never launched yourself off a high vantage point at an unsuspecting cavalryman and killed them outright... If you haven't, you're really really missing out on a big thrill! ^^

But on the point of realism here, i'm not sure how jumping would reduce your physical strength... Just because you're not grounded to get your lower body to push against the target and counter balance the force with which you struck your enemy, you'd still have most of your strength, you'd be leaning into the swing and adjusting your body weight to land it properly.

I can see where you're coming from though, you can't use your lower body to make sure you don't get knocked around by the force, but i'm sure you'd be able to do something to keep the damage as high. Nonetheless, Tenne no likey.

EDIT: Short weapons, harder to hit for the rider/higher if you're not wielding a reasonably sized weapon. For example, probably the reason why I disagree with you on this is that I use a langes messer, 92 length I believe and a polearm stab, not very useful against cavalry and I believe, having mistaken you several times as a Guard while you use our banned, you are a polearms character with a spear. Much more effective against cav! :)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 12:43:38 pm by Tennenoth »

BullDog Clan member since 31/08/2010 / Caravan Guild member since 03/08/2010

How to understand what I say.
Always finish your tea and biscuits regardless of how terrible they are

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • Renown: 1226
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Companions
  • Game nicks: Joker86_TP
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2012, 11:04:58 pm »
Basically I am against jumping because I think it was done rarely in battle. I guess you are indeed able to jump in armour, but landing probably hurts your knees and ankles, that's why you don't do it.

And with my question about the actual use of jumping up I had a two handed sword in mind, because thet's the weapon I witnessed those jumps with the most, but this could also be related to the amount of 2hd players on the servers. Second in line is sword'n'board. It's pretty obvious you don't need to jump with spears and pikes.

You are right that everyone has to decide it for himself, and that's probably the reason why you still couldn't convince me. Because in my perception I think jumping is exactly the same speed like walking, with the only difference that once you jumped you can't change direction any more like with your feets on the ground, and after landing you are stunned for a moment.

And in my time as (occasional) cavalryman last generation I made the experience that jumps didn't surprise me at all. I aimed for the shoulders, and if he jumped I would hit his groin, but that's everything jumping does.
Joker makes a very good point.
î saved for eternety (without context  :mrgreen:)

Offline Dezilagel

• Marshall
  • Renown: 722
  • Infamy: 209
  • cRPG Player
  • (X) probably goes well with Nutella
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Guards, Guards!
  • Game nicks: Dezi_the_Bagel
  • IRC nick: Dezilagel
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2012, 08:15:02 am »
Fighting cav without the jump is retarded, go play mm or the Deluge and you'll see.

Quote from: Rumblood
You fuck, or you get fucked.
Valour Multghulis - All Krems Must Die