Author Topic: 30/9 effective WPF  (Read 3244 times)

Offline Elmetiacos

• Count
  • Renown: 175
  • Infamy: 45
  • cRPG Player
  • You've probably teamkilled me
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Hot_Chick_with_a_Sword, Dark_Rose_Knight
Re: 30/9 effective WPF
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2012, 01:36:09 pm »
If you are not using a Great Maul or similar and wanting crushthrough or knockdown, the stats to me suggest very high PS is not worth it in most cases. Two good hits will kill most characters, unless they're tanks, so the main reason to go total str is a one hit kill...

Even with a monster damage weapon like a +2 Claymore or a basic Great Long Axe (45) against someone with medium armour (say, haubergeon and mail mittens for 42 body armour) you will average 40 points damage with a maximum of 57. You will only one hit kill an agi build and will have to be lucky to do that. A heavier armour character, for example, coats of plates & Wisby gauntlets totalling 55 body, takes an average of 32 and a max of 48 which will almost never kill in one.

It's more complicated than this, of course, because most of our kills (contrary to what we want to believe) are not in fiercely fought duels, they're from opportunistic sneak attacks or stabs/cuts in the back against someone fighting someone else. More PS makes it more likely that you will finish off even slightly wounded enemies in this way.
The word is "anyway" not "anyways". You are not Gabby Hayes.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Polobow

• Count
  • Renown: 267
  • Infamy: 30
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: SoA
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2012, 07:12:18 pm »
If you are not using a Great Maul or similar and wanting crushthrough or knockdown, the stats to me suggest very high PS is not worth it in most cases. Two good hits will kill most characters, unless they're tanks, so the main reason to go total str is a one hit kill...

Even with a monster damage weapon like a +2 Claymore or a basic Great Long Axe (45) against someone with medium armour (say, haubergeon and mail mittens for 42 body armour) you will average 40 points damage with a maximum of 57. You will only one hit kill an agi build and will have to be lucky to do that. A heavier armour character, for example, coats of plates & Wisby gauntlets totalling 55 body, takes an average of 32 and a max of 48 which will almost never kill in one.

It's more complicated than this, of course, because most of our kills (contrary to what we want to believe) are not in fiercely fought duels, they're from opportunistic sneak attacks or stabs/cuts in the back against someone fighting someone else. More PS makes it more likely that you will finish off even slightly wounded enemies in this way.

Yep, so true, war isn't fair :/.

Offline Mars

• Noble
  • Renown: 10
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Galv_The_Executioner, 30_Seconds_To_Mars, Maim, Tank_n_Spank
  • IRC nick: Mars
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2012, 08:37:26 am »
It's all preference really, i always found 130 effective wpf after armor reduction to be perfect ( usually if u have great ping u notice the advantage ). Extra dmg is always great as well, how i like to think of it is I would rather have some additional dmg to add to my 7 ps and attack faster then just have 10 PS and be out hit by faster weapons. Also, with 7 PS + 100wpf + 40ish cut weapon u can 2 shot most players, u don't "need" 10 PS.

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2012, 09:01:46 am »
I prefer the 130 wpf version, because then I can use medium armor with same speed as ultralight armor with 111wpf.

Really, the trade off is so minimal.
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.