Author Topic: Attack/block Direction client/server desync  (Read 1381 times)

Offline RibaldRon

• Baron
  • Renown: 144
  • Infamy: 13
  • cRPG Player
  • why do butts
    • View Profile
  • Faction: LLJK
  • Game nicks: LLJK_RibaldRon
Attack/block Direction client/server desync
« on: January 29, 2012, 01:28:01 am »
Apparently this happens to me all the time.

For the life of me I could not figure out how I was doing so terribly against people.. then when dueling I found out that what I see, as for block and attack direction, is not what the server, and other players, see.

As an example: I was dueling with someone with a pike, and they were preparing to hit me.  I had my downblock held, and was going to attempt a counter-attack.  To them, I was holding left-block, and they were able to send their pike through my downblock (on my screen) which happens to me constantly in battle for all types of blocks.  In this case, no spin was involved.  This will happen with swing direction as well, somebody will be downblocking and I will go in with an overhead, and at the instant of impact the weapon will simply go from a down position to having blocked my hit from the top and back to a downblock as soon as the animation ends.

Watching duels, or spectator after I've died, this problem becomes VERY apparent.

My ping is usually below 100, likely around 60 on average.  Latency does seem to increase the problem.

Nobody I've asked has really been able to identify this problem, and respond with the usual "yeah, you can change your attack direction by blocking"

This is only an issue with cRPG multiplayer.  Any solutions?

tl;dr: the server interprets attack and block direction differently than my client and I want to fix the problem.
signature removed: annoying
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

USA USA USA

Offline Arkonor

• Knight
  • Renown: 72
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Arkonor
Re: Attack/block Direction client/server desync
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 01:34:08 am »
Interesting. I have noticed few times lately that I have held the correct block and just watched the swing go right through. Also few times noticed me blocking a swing I was not suppose to block with my current block. It wasn't happening that often that I made a post about it though. But it has made me wonder a few times already.

Btw my usual ping is around 60 as well.

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 02:55:00 am »
It just happens sometimes. When I moved to my apartment, I had to turn to a wireless connection (still, my ping is around 30 or less), and my left blocks look like down blocks on my opponent's screen.

Sometimes, I know I blocked a certain direction, but the animation on my screen shows something different, and yet I block it anyways.

I figure you just need to be aware of what conditions or block directions this happens more often, but it's a tough issue for the person experiencing it. Make sure you aren't moving your mouse diagonally when you block so you're certain of a direction.

Offline Wraist

• Knight
  • Renown: 44
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012, 06:21:03 am »
I put on the attack/block direction indicators once [the three arrows that light up on your screen] and sometimes an arrow points one way and the swing goes in a different direction [such as the left indicator lighting up and I do an overhead].

Offline RibaldRon

• Baron
  • Renown: 144
  • Infamy: 13
  • cRPG Player
  • why do butts
    • View Profile
  • Faction: LLJK
  • Game nicks: LLJK_RibaldRon
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012, 07:12:36 am »
I put on the attack/block direction indicators once [the three arrows that light up on your screen] and sometimes an arrow points one way and the swing goes in a different direction [such as the left indicator lighting up and I do an overhead].
That's happening on basically every swing, but the direction my character is showing is actually correct.  I think that's just a bug with "Show Attack Direction"
signature removed: annoying

USA USA USA

Offline dodnet

• Duke
  • Renown: 595
  • Infamy: 149
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Wolpertinger
  • Game nicks: DoD, DoD_Wolper
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2012, 10:07:30 am »
+1
I had that a few times that I definitely held the right block and the attack hit me nonetheless. I'm not very good at blocking but I know I blocked these. I sometimes have another phenomena: When fast switching between block and attack in different directions it sometimes starts an attack into one direction and instantly switches the attack to another direction. Its not feinting, it must be a bug as the direction switches on half of the animation. Example: first half of the animation is a right attack and it instantly switches into the second half animation of an up attack. Quite hard to describe that.
The logic of war seems to be that if a belligerent can fight he will fight.

(click to show/hide)

Offline BADPLAYERold

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 362
  • Infamy: 163
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: PRO
  • Game nicks: BADPLAYER
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2012, 11:11:01 pm »
Only thing I can suggest is clicking more than once in the direction you want to block to make sure it registers the right block.

Not really a good solution but I imagine it would help.

Offline Life

• Marshall
  • Renown: 763
  • Infamy: 281
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mod is dead.
  • Game nicks: Assassin_Life, Efil, iK_Life
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2012, 12:33:48 am »
this too has happened to me and ive seen it happen on battle. i play with 40-50 ping.
Assassin Video
My custom crosshair

Offline Zerran

• Count
  • Renown: 276
  • Infamy: 48
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
  • Game nicks: Caita_KUTT, Fellys_KUTT
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2012, 02:22:58 am »
I've had this a few times. More so the last couple days than usual. It also happens with some attacks. It'll look like I have one attack direction chambered, then when I swing it turns out to be a different direction.

Offline Malaclypse

• King
  • Renown: 1299
  • Infamy: 146
  • In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2012, 04:48:11 am »
Yeah, some weird stuff. Just today, I was holding an up block on a thin area of walkway. Holding it, not releasing to swing or change directions. It blocked three overhead attacks from non-crush through weapons, then an overhead from a War Spear phased through it for no apparent reason. There wasn't enough room on the walkway for the attackers to turn their overhead to avoid my up block or anything. Feels bad man.
You think you're pretty smart with your dago mustache and your greasy hair.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2012, 07:41:58 am »
Happens with attacks too. You hold thrust, release it and find out it was actually a right swing.

Offline HarunYahya

• Marshall
  • Renown: 965
  • Infamy: 309
  • cRPG Player
  • Proud Abdulla wielder
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BashiBazouks
  • Game nicks: HarunYahya,HarunShootya,Inan
  • IRC nick: HarunYahya
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2012, 08:03:13 am »
That happens on my friend's pc afaik he uses wireless connection with 80-90 ping.

What about chamberlike weirdo acts ?
Sometimes when i hold attack my right swing for example , if enemy swings his weapon to my right side , my holding attack blocks it magically !
I told it to my friends but they said "Na idiot you are probably releasing your attack or switching to block by reflex" but i don't think so i saw it too many times it is fukken weird i just hold attack and it magically blocks im not releasing my attack nor switch it to block , just holding my attack.
Anyone experienced it or am i really an idiot ?  :lol:

Offline mustg

• Noble
  • Renown: 21
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BashiBazouks
  • Game nicks: BashiBazouk_Mustafa
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2012, 06:08:01 pm »
That happens on my friend's pc afaik he uses wireless connection with 80-90 ping.

What about chamberlike weirdo acts ?
Sometimes when i hold attack my right swing for example , if enemy swings his weapon to my right side , my holding attack blocks it magically !
I told it to my friends but they said "Na idiot you are probably releasing your attack or switching to block by reflex" but i don't think so i saw it too many times it is fukken weird i just hold attack and it magically blocks im not releasing my attack nor switch it to block , just holding my attack.
Anyone experienced it or am i really an idiot ?  :lol:

<--- friend is me

it happens to me a lot it s just annoying and u have nothing to do just hope the animation is correct...if it s not :
(click to show/hide)

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2012, 07:15:23 pm »
I think it's just the server not registering properly.

I've had it happen about 6 times in the last 2 weeks where I was riding my horse and thrusted my lance at another horseman and my lance (and my horse) went right through them.  It was like I was a ghost. 

Server's are shitty to begin with, but could probably use a restart.  I also noticed my ping went from 20-30 to 50-60 in this same period.  Nothing on my network side has changed, and I'm still being routed to Chicago in the same number of hops. 

For the record, I have 20-30 mbps download speeds, and 2-3 mbps upload.  Running on a brand new PC (built it 2 months ago).
 - Stolen from Macropussy