Author Topic: Why are my unban requests getting closed? I am still banned  (Read 1262 times)

Offline Balton

• Knight
  • Renown: 56
  • Infamy: 11
  • cRPG Player
  • Divine Being
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Death God
  • Game nicks: GoD_Balton_the_Buff
Why are my unban requests getting closed? I am still banned
« on: February 26, 2011, 01:29:41 pm »
Quote from: Braeden
Reason: Crimes against language, pre-emptive prevention of chat spam

Unban will come when acceptable, on topic essay written regarding the Rights of an Online Community, 500 words.

Dispute may be taken up in the Admin Abooze forum.

I have been banned for three days already, for literally nothing. The reason even states "pre-emptive", meaning I have not broken any rules.

I know a lot of people might hate me and some might find this to be funny, but an admin is clearly abusing the ban system. It's funny for some of you now, but when you get banned like this for no reason, you will no longer be laughing.

So could I get a top admin or developer to unban me?

ADMINS DON'T CLOSE THIS, I AM STILL BANNED.

I pm'd Fasader about it, he said I am unbanned, but I am still banned, maybe it's because Braeden banned me on all of my characters?
Wherever I tread, only chaos & destruction follow.

Offline Zaelious

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Why are my unban requests getting closed? I am still banned
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 02:23:17 pm »
I still don't really understand how Braeden got admin, a few months ago he wasn't, and he still doesn't even play much or never did, then just "did something" on IRC and now he's an abusive admin. If only the admin abuse forum was legit, still waiting on the polls to start.

Offline VicTheBear

• Knight
  • Renown: 45
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player
  • You guys are dicks, and I'll drink to that.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: VicTheBear
  • IRC nick: VicTheBear
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 02:44:29 pm »
Write your essay, do your time, and stop QQing about EVERYTHING.
If you were (by some strange miracle) unjustly banned it will eventually be taken care of or, worst case scenario (for you, that is) blow over.
Either way, in the end you'll be unbanned.
In the mean-time, we're all sick of hearing from you.

--victoria

Offline Alex_C

• Knight
  • Renown: 30
  • Infamy: 10
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Guard of Istiniar
  • Game nicks: IG_Earl_Alexander
  • IRC nick: ISPCA_Alexanger
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 02:54:24 pm »
This is part of Braeden's mater-plan to usurp [ptx], don't trust him people.

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2011, 03:03:57 pm »
The rules of the ban section have not been changed, if you are not a witness to a case - do not comment.
You are still banned and Braeden did state ON YOUR PREVIOUS THREAD that an essay is expected from you.

Offline Balton

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
  • Divine Being
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2011, 03:29:24 pm »
I still don't really understand how Braeden got admin, a few months ago he wasn't, and he still doesn't even play much or never did, then just "did something" on IRC and now he's an abusive admin. If only the admin abuse forum was legit, still waiting on the polls to start.

Apparently sucking dick gets you everything in life.

Write your essay, do your time, and stop QQing about EVERYTHING.
If you were (by some strange miracle) unjustly banned it will eventually be taken care of or, worst case scenario (for you, that is) blow over.
Either way, in the end you'll be unbanned.
In the mean-time, we're all sick of hearing from you.

Was it really that heard to read the very first sentence in this thread (in the quote). It's clearly an unjust ban.

This is part of Braeden's mater-plan to usurp [ptx], don't trust him people.
The rules of the ban section have not been changed, if you are not a witness to a case - do not comment.
You are still banned and Braeden did state ON YOUR PREVIOUS THREAD that an essay is expected from you.

And this is why you two are no better than Braeden.

Offline Huey Newton

• Duke
  • Renown: 555
  • Infamy: 99
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Huey_Newton
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2011, 01:31:58 am »
hmm maybe they have something against you?

Offline Balton

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
  • Divine Being
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2011, 09:38:01 am »
hmm maybe they have something against you?

Braeden*

Seems like he can no longer contain his insecurities to an appropriate level.

Seriously though, it was clearly a joke on his part, why am I still banned? Captain Georges got unbanned, but I am not? Is it because Georges is in a more politically influential clan than me? Must I turn up the playground politics to a new notch?

Offline Braeden

• Earl
  • Renown: 420
  • Infamy: 53
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • I hear the sound of drums
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Acre?
  • Game nicks: Braeden_Sanguine
  • IRC nick: Braeden
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2011, 10:19:24 am »
You were not unbanned because you did not write an essay.  It was a simple requirement, and one that I think might have been enlightening.  However, as I asked on IRC in the middle of the night if I should show mercy and there was one vote for yes, I will remove your ban.  The penalty still stands, of course, and your essay is required.  However, I will provide it on your behalf.  I make no promises someone else will not ban you again, but you are unbanned.  Please, don't make me regret this.

The Rights of an Online Community

The question “What are the rights of an online community” has a very simple answer.  Specifically, there are no rights excepting those enforced by the government of the webserver's location.  The host of a community can kick, ban, mute or perform other punitive actions on those within the community at will.  The issue with this is that without rights, a community is prone to being abused by both those with power and those within the community, and they will then exercise their ability to leave.

For this reason, the owners of most communities choose to bestow upon their membership certain rights.  On a forum this may come as the right to not see obscene things, or the right to not be banned without reason.  In a game, this generally takes the form of the right to not play with cheaters and the right to not have their account messed with by cruel administrators.  These rights are not inherent, but gifted, in order to create a feeling of safety that convinces people to stay within the community and allows them to enjoy their time.

These rights, however, come with additional limitations.  The right to not see obscene things can only be granted by either separating out obscenity to a specific part of the forum, or removing it entirely.  This removes the ability to post obscenity from the users, and can lead to them being banned for breaking what has become a rule.  These rules are not intended to limit rights but grant them, though to the minds of some they can instead be seen as limitations.

These rules are the basis of rights, without them there are no rights to maintain the existence of the community.  With most rules users may infer additional rights, for example, a rule that players of a first person shooter who kill their own team will be banned is generally seen to imply that those who don't kill their own team will not be banned.  However, this may or not be true, and is dependent upon the character of the administration.

Underlying all these possible rules is the one true right of an online community: the right to use the community for its intended purpose.  In the case of entertainment forums or games, this manifests as the right to have a fun time.  However, this right is not an individual right, but a community right.  Those who infringe on the enjoyment of the majority of the users in order to have fun themselves will generally not be treated as members of the community and are generally removed, not in violation of the right of fun but in support of it.  The specific rules that are put forward by an administration of a community are generally intended to support this rule.

This right is supported by two chief pillars.  The first is the right of the user to leave.  This is practiced often, and threatened even more.  Games are often quit in rages by those who swiftly return when their rage subsides.  The second pillar is the right of the administration to force users to leave.  The dreaded ban-hammer, this is to be used sparingly, in support of the rules they have created, lest the enjoyment of the users is threatened by fear.  However, when used rightly, the dreaded “banhammer” does not abrogate the rights of the community, but rather fulfill their demands.