Author Topic: Why is Armor difficulty so low?  (Read 1651 times)

Offline Munchkin9

• Knight
  • Renown: 26
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Why is Armor difficulty so low?
« on: January 25, 2012, 02:43:56 am »
+16
For now particular reasons other that they are all armor crutching wimps to scarred to fight like a real man (bear chested wielding a spoon of course), I dislike tin cans.

That's why I've never really had a close look at the higher tier armors. But I just had a look now and I'm a little confused. 16 str for black armor? Why?

I'm currently running a poorly made 21/15 build. 21! And I'm not even focusing strength (okay maybe a little, but that's not the point!). IMHO it seems to me that if someone wants to go tin can then they should be forced to dedicate their build to it. Meaning something more like 20 or even 25 strength for black armor and sort of count down from there.

What I believe (I might be wrong) this would do is: reduce the amount of tin cans (always a good thing :D), create a larger division in builds between tin cans and non-tin cans (what I assume are aluminum cans) and finally cause a tin can to truly be a lot slower and therefore be more balanced.

I know most people disagree with me on that last, they saying armor does slow you done a lot, but there ya have it, I don't think it slows down nearly enough. I hate to pull the realism card but a knight in armor, when off horse back, could barely move, never mind jog across the battlefield. And if the mention of realism makes your muscles in your knee spasm weirdly then there is also the balance issue to consider: whether you like it or not (or even admit it) armors are better than no armor, always: you can take a ridiculous amount of punishment and even have a considerable amount of immunity to attacks (glances). The counter-balance to this is...what? Supposedly a lose of speed. But I as I said I haven't noticed this.

This alteration would raise the speed difference (slightly) and add an extra counter-balance: armors are harder to get and force you to sacrifice some other things like swing speed, shield capabilities etc. Main issue to this (see I can self critique!) is that it would also reduce the capability for tin cans to ride horses, a plus for balance but a lose for realism.

C'est vous qui voyez.
-Munchkin9
Chars: Redreg

That's it. Don't like it? Tough.

Offline Arkonor

• Knight
  • Renown: 72
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Arkonor
Re: Why is Armor difficulty so low?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 03:37:10 am »
Tin Cans have big minuses.

1. They run slow, so they don't get to pick where to fight and are easily surrounded.
2. They swing slowly, wpf penalty for tin cans is extremely high.

But yeah both those minuses are obviously negated with high agility so I'm guessing the devs have found that forcing higher strength is too big of a minus.
Might be wrong :) Maybe it would be great for the game that everyone knew that tin cans walk extremely slowly since they can't have high agility with it.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 03:38:22 am by Arkonor »

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 08:52:37 am »
I agree. Heavy armor difficulty should be made higher.

Offline Bobthehero

• Duke
  • Renown: 515
  • Infamy: 195
  • cRPG Player
  • Grandmaster Ultimate God Of Swashbucklin'
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bridgeburners
  • Game nicks: Bobthehero_Whals and I am totally not all the Not_Bobthehero alts ever.
  • IRC nick: Buff Swashbuckling
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 08:58:11 am »
+4
PSssssstch then you'll come and whine about them STR crutchers in plate armor who just wont die.

And I will laugh.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
The Narwhals, dedicated swashbuckler part of FCC

Stabbing is my speciality and one hitting people, my art

Offline FRANK_THE_TANK

• King
  • Renown: 1312
  • Infamy: 339
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • FluckCucker
    • View Profile
  • Faction: A Free and proud Peasant of Fisdnar!!!
  • Game nicks: FRANK_THE_TANK
  • IRC nick: Sippy sip
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 09:26:26 am »
There we go again, bob comes out to be wrong. Like anyone every whinnes around here bob, I mean really!
Fammi un pompino!

I think I have ball cancer in my right nut :(
Good news everybody! It's not nut cancer :)
Bad news everybody, I got dumped :(

Offline Bobthehero

• Duke
  • Renown: 515
  • Infamy: 195
  • cRPG Player
  • Grandmaster Ultimate God Of Swashbucklin'
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bridgeburners
  • Game nicks: Bobthehero_Whals and I am totally not all the Not_Bobthehero alts ever.
  • IRC nick: Buff Swashbuckling
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 07:36:04 pm »
Use your head for 10 seconds, instead of seeing a 21 str plater, they'll be 24-27 str which means more hp for the guy in the armor, more ps smashing your face and very little loss of WPF and 1 less athletic.
The Narwhals, dedicated swashbuckler part of FCC

Stabbing is my speciality and one hitting people, my art

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 09:21:50 pm »
I wouldn't mind, if high tier armors were also improved at the same time. Make part of Paul's nerf undone, give them 18-24 req and give a refund in heirloom points for everyone with loomed ones.
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2012, 09:30:13 pm »
Use your head for 10 seconds, instead of seeing a 21 str plater, they'll be 24-27 str which means more hp for the guy in the armor, more ps smashing your face and very little loss of WPF and 1 less athletic.

That 1 less athletics is the penalty the OP is talking about.  Not to mention you would also have less agility, and each point of agility makes you move slightly faster.

I think it makes sense.  You potentially can have people in heavy armor with 7 athletics, that just doesn't jibe. 

I'd personally prefer they just leave most things alone
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 09:41:21 pm by CrazyCracka420 »
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline ArchonAlarion

• Baron
  • Renown: 98
  • Infamy: 54
  • Late 15th cen. English Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: ArchonAlarion, DON'T_WAKE_GRANDPA, NASTY_TURTLE, UNARMED_CLASS_ DON'T_BAN_PLS, et al.
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2012, 09:34:22 pm »
Bob is right, and also this is totally unnecessary.

Offline Nehvar

• Duke
  • Renown: 550
  • Infamy: 64
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2012, 09:39:05 pm »
+1
That 1 less athletics is the penalty the OP is talking about.  Not to mention you would also have less agility, and each point of agility makes you move slightly faster.

I think it makes sense.  You potentially can have people in heavy armor with 7 athletics, that just doesn't jibe.

Worse still.  Gothic plate and heavy plate are D15 so you could wear those with a 15/24, 8 athletics build.
WSE2 gives us the key to a wonderful world of butthurt...

Offline ArchonAlarion

• Baron
  • Renown: 98
  • Infamy: 54
  • Late 15th cen. English Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: ArchonAlarion, DON'T_WAKE_GRANDPA, NASTY_TURTLE, UNARMED_CLASS_ DON'T_BAN_PLS, et al.
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2012, 09:46:54 pm »
+1
Idk about anyone else, but I've never found heavy armor and agi chars complementary. If you are pumping ath, you are wasting the potential of it with heavy armor. If you have low str, the heavy armor is not going to make you unstoppable, whereas high str and heavy armor will. Maybe I'm just not playing correctly, but for my agi/balanced chars, I generally avoid heavy armor in favor of taking as much advantage of the agi as I can.

Offline Aljo

• Knight
  • Renown: 64
  • Infamy: 69
  • Using hammer outside construction sites since 2009
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Principality of Ultio
  • Game nicks: Aljo
  • IRC nick: Aljo
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2012, 10:05:05 pm »
+2
I hate to pull the realism card but a knight in armor, when off horse back, could barely move, never mind jog across the battlefield.

One more kid that hasnt read a single medieval warfare and armors book besides children books with no text just pictures.
1. Medieval plate is actually similar if not lighter to equipment today's soldier has to carry around all the time.
2. Getting up from lying postion in plate is fairly easy.
3. Plate is actually very flexible if armor is done correctly and moving in plate is very similar to moving in chain mail.

Go read a fucking book and talk about realism.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2012, 10:07:32 pm »
Yes please.

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2012, 10:18:33 pm »
One more kid that hasnt read a single medieval warfare and armors book besides children books with no text just pictures.
1. Medieval plate is actually similar if not lighter to equipment today's soldier has to carry around all the time.
2. Getting up from lying postion in plate is fairly easy.
3. Plate is actually very flexible if armor is done correctly and moving in plate is very similar to moving in chain mail.

Go read a fucking book and talk about realism.

Surprised nobody else commented on it.  I'm not an expert, but have seen that claim debunked before.

Apparently there was some movie in the 70s that depicted knights having to use cranes to get them on their horses and everyone takes this as fact.  However, it's been demonstrated many times they were able to move around in heavy armor fairly easily, and as you say, somewhat comparable to today's soldier.  I think total weight is comparable, but your movements would be more restricted in heavy mail or plated armor.  But you could still certainly move, and these were people who were training for these conditions since they were little kids, they were comfortable in this gear, or as comfortable as you could be.
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Gisbert_of_Thuringia

• Count
  • Renown: 169
  • Infamy: 136
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: Guard_Gisbert_of_Thuringia, Guard_Bernulf_of_Thuringia, Guard_Ranulf_of_Thuringia etc...
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2012, 10:30:49 pm »
I really agree on raising armour difficulty. Not 25 or something, but more than it is now.

Just saw a guy with probably 15/21 or more agility in full plate running like speedy gonzales and outspamming everyone with a 1h sword...
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 10:34:00 pm by Gisbert_of_Thuringia »